Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Racing Apprehension.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:43 PM
scottycards
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
Also, things change as we get older. I too see all the guys boiling in the staging lanes for what seems like hours and am always glad I'm a mere spectator. What I would have put up with (time and money and labor) 20 years ago is much different than today. Less is sometimes more.
So true. At first, I wanted so badly to be one of the people racing. So I did it.

After some time, I started looking at the people just there to have fun and not race. Started wanting to be one of them, again.

Once the rational part of me overcame the emotional part of me, I stopped. I don't regret it, super glad I did all the racing, but don't really want any more of it. Reached pretty much all of the goals I had, so no need to continue. Fun to watch others living out the dream, though.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:03 PM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTnZ06 View Post
I done did that once. At 130 hit the brakes and the front right caliper stuck. Luckily, I stayed off the walls and the nitroused Viper next to me, but it was close. I did autoX lots of times, a lot of standing around pickup up cones or running the timing trailer. I think 24 hrs of Lemons would be fun. My brother bought a car for a similar event and I'll be the 4th driver. Should be way more fun, though it'll probably break before I get in.
I won't make comments about AutoX unless I want to get the parking lot nancy's panties in a bunch.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:39 PM
88Z51
CF Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Every time. I can load up the race car, got everything I need. Plans and backup plans. I even had a backup car for a while. Getting ready is easy. But, seems hard to head to the track, mentally. Every time I live and make it back (only had to be towed back once in my life from the track). Haven't been back to the track since 2015 when I bent a piston when a head gasket let go (MAP sensor line blew off and the meth didn't spray). Not sure what it is about racing. I get to hang out with all my buddies at the track, have a good time, but don't really want to sit for hours in the staging lanes between runs. Wait all year for an event, only once you're there, you can't wait for it to be over.
I can kind of relate. The Wednesday night bracket racing program at Portland Int'l Raceway goes from early March all the way into Oct. If you're in the points deal, you need to be there at every race. After eight years of racing every Wed. night, I found myself burnt out at the end of last season. So I decided to take part of the 2018 season off. I've got a few things I want to and need to do to the car before returning for another season, but at 59, the thought of working on the car during the winter in a cold shop didn't sound too appealing, nor was the thought of towing all the way this year to Boise for the NHRA Div. 6 ET Finals. So I figured I'd wait until warmer weather to work on the car and not even worry about the points deal this year. Unfortunately health issues side tracked my plans. Even at that, there were many Wednesday afternoons that I thought to my self "If I was racing this year, I'd be heading to the track right now". But the thought of sitting in traffic (it now takes over an hour to tow less than 15 miles in rush hour), really didn't sound too appealing - in fact, this is one of the key factors leading to my burnt out mindset. Did I miss racing this past year? Honestly, I'm not sure. Some days yes, some days no. I would have thought by now I'd be going through competition withdrawals and would be anxiously anticipating next season. I guess at this point I will just have to wait and see how my mental and physical condition is in a few months and go from there.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:18 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
I won't make comments about AutoX unless I want to get the parking lot nancy's panties in a bunch.
I may have missed it but the only racing I've seen you post about doing is street racing.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:21 PM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post

I may have missed it but the only racing I've seen you post about doing is street racing.
Learn to stalk better.

We've run our own high speed track days for 15 years.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:40 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Learn to stalk better.

We've run our own high speed track days for 15 years.
Have you posted about it a lot? If so I don't recall.

Are these high speed track days parade laps or do you actually race?
Old 10-23-2018, 07:45 PM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post

Have you posted about it a lot? If so I don't recall.

Are these high speed track days parade laps or do you actually race?
No I don't post a lot about it anymore. Depending on the group you run in depends on the track rules. Advanced group is open track meaning open passing but no, there is no racing because they are high speed driving events.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-23-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:03 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

No I don't post a lot about it anymore. Depending on the group you run in depends on the track rules. Advanced group is open track meaning open passing but no, there is no racing because they are high speed driving events.
Well sounds fun nonetheless, will be fun to watch the progress with your BMW build, forgot to comment on how badazz those plastidip panels looked.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:08 PM
Patsgarage
CF Senior Member

Received 391 Likes on 332 Posts

I done did that once. At 130 hit the brakes and the front right caliper stuck. Luckily, I stayed off the walls and the nitroused Viper next to me, but it was close. I did autoX lots of times, a lot of standing around pickup up cones or running the timing trailer. I think 24 hrs of Lemons would be fun. My brother bought a car for a similar event and I'll be the 4th driver. Should be way more fun, though it'll probably break before I get in.
The Lemons might be your best bet. Racing should be fun, it sounds like that ship has sailed for you. Find a cheaper way to get your fix, so even if things to blow up it does not cost as much.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:16 PM
TurboTnZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage View Post
The Lemons might be your best bet. Racing should be fun, it sounds like that ship has sailed for you. Find a cheaper way to get your fix, so even if things to blow up it does not cost as much.
That's what I'm thinking, https://24hoursoflemons.com/ I got stupid amounts of money in a car, and I don't want to blow it up (again for 4th time), then it's 6 months waiting on custom ordered parts just to put it back together. Last block rebuild was .052 over because we'll, just over what you need over, not the whole .060 in case of next time. Piston was .003 out past spec.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:21 PM
Patsgarage
CF Senior Member

Received 391 Likes on 332 Posts

That's what I'm thinking, https://24hoursoflemons.com/ I got stupid amounts of money in a car, and I don't want to blow it up (again for 4th time), then it's 6 months waiting on custom ordered parts just to put it back together. Last block rebuild was .052 over because we'll, just over what you need over, not the whole .060 in case of next time. Piston was .003 out past spec.
I have never been in as deep as you are, but I even softpedal my GS off the line for fear of breaking something. My older stuff ? I drive the snot out of it, even if it is not nearly as fast. The 24 Hrs of Lemons sounds like it would be tons of fun.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:21 PM
nist7
CF Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto View Post
The best drag racing strategy is to find out how much your opponent spent in prep and then just spend more than that!

you'll win every time!
Spend at least 100 grand under the hood of your car.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:48 PM
88Z51
CF Senior Member

I got stupid amounts of money in a car, and I don't want to blow it up (again for 4th time), then it's 6 months waiting on custom ordered parts just to put it back together. Last block rebuild was .052 over because we'll, just over what you need over, not the whole .060 in case of next time. Piston was .003 out past spec.
Well damn - no wonder the apprehension / anxiety. It's kind of hard to focus on racing and going rounds if you live in fear of the damn thing blowing up!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:56 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
Many hours prepping car. Hours waiting for tech and in staging lanes to race for ten seconds. Track days are better. Instead of ten seconds you are on for twenty minutes at a times four or five times in a day. One day is enough for me to get my fill. I still feel nervous and intimidated when I pull into the track though.
Drag racing has absolutely the worst ROI of any form of racing.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:16 PM
88Z51
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
Drag racing has absolutely the worst ROI of any form of racing.
Definitely less actual racing 'seat time' compared to other forms of racing, but most weeknight bracket race programs are pretty fast paced and don't offer much standing around time if you are going rounds.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:21 PM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,241 Likes on 3,684 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Racing is always filled with uncertainty. It's just part of the sport.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:35 AM
passmenow
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waiting to race...
How I feel when my race car is all race prepped and loading in the trailer 2 weeks before a race.

Racing is money spent you will never get back.
Still I enjoy all of it.
I'd be concerned too if the racing budget was compromising family goals or the kids college fund.
Unless you're rich and arrive and drive you have to enjoy everything about racing.

Like...
Weeks in the garage spending $$ race prepping a race car with your racing buddies.
Loading the car, spares and tools in the trailer.
Towing to a far away track during the middle of the night while trying to avoid traffic.
Staying at some cheap but over priced hotel is the most undesirable part of a race weekend for me.
Finally at the track, setting up your pit, getting your car teched.
Then finally racing and hopefully you are surrounded by nice people that you enjoy sharing time with while you are away from home and family.
Agree after the last race Sunday afternoon everyone just wants to get the trailer loaded up and start the long tow home.

My racing videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-...zXfIbmssh46Q0w
Old 10-24-2018, 10:41 AM
passmenow
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack View Post
Racing is always filled with uncertainty. It's just part of the sport.
That can provide a lot satisfaction when your car breaks and all your pit neighbors pitch in to help you rebuild a transmission in the pit parking lot overnight so you can race the next day.
A lot of work but a lot of fun and mutual respect from your pit neighbors that helped get your car back on track.
Actually the race days where everything works perfectly and the car has no issues are rare and rewarding too.

Someone said the teeth looked like a Kentucky dental plan.

Last edited by passmenow; 10-24-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:43 PM
TurboTnZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Or after qualifying, about to leave the track at 8 pm to get dinner, and we notice one of the cars is leaking water. Cancel reservations and start wrenching! It's good clean fun.

Going rounds in drag racing is hectic. Race, wait, race, wait, race, check stuff, wait, race. You don't know who you may be racing next, doesn't matter, its heads up so just you and the lights.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 PM
Docbrock
CF Senior Member

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

The only time I got the yipps was when I was looking at the grid line up, and making sure I wrote down correctly what race, when, and what grid position to grid up in.

I miss the racing, but I don't miss the danger.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Racing Apprehension.

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: