Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

***NASCAR Phoenix***

Old 11-08-2018, 06:25 PM
pastorbrad
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default ***NASCAR Phoenix***

Same track as in the spring...but not. The layout has been reversed so that the start finish line is on the old backstretch, including the full width of the apron. Restarts will therefore come off a fairly marked curve with the option of "dive bombing" to the inside. Should be interesting at least.
Since the 4 team got busted the 5-8 place drivers have new hope, but a win is still the way in.
Here's to a win by the 9 and someone punting the 18 and the 22 out of the way at their convenience.
Oh yeah, qualifying at 7 on Friday night.

Last edited by pastorbrad; 11-08-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:29 PM
PLRX
Semper Fidelis 1988-2011
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

This is Harvick's track If he wins this weekend the homestead race may be worth to watch.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:32 PM
Brian71
CF Senior Member

Harvick will have a chip on his shoulder this weekend.
If Harvick has a bad day Chase Elliot and Kurt Busch could point there way in.
It should be a good race.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:36 PM
champs65
CF Senior Member

How can it be possible that NASCAR pre race inspections can be SO detailed, SO finite that a car possibly needs to go through three times before either "passing" or starting at the end of the field, week in and week out.

And yet, at the same time how can they miss something so egregiously "incorrect" with Harvcks' spoiler that during post race inspection they felt compelled to dock him 40 points, his team 40 points, suspend his crew chief, suspend his car chief, fine them 75,000 and yank his spot at Homestead?

:skep

This is one of the many things that smells with NASCAR these days.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:54 AM
03 A/E Coupe
CF Senior Member

I'll be the Dude with Jumbo Coolers of Busch Beer wearing the Dick Trickle Shirt in turn 2, what used to be turn 4..

Whats a few Scorpion and Rattle Snakes Bites ?

Nothing beats takin' a whiz behind a Cactus during the Yellow Flags, and poppin' open another .42 cent can of beer...

NASCAR Fannin' it on a Budget

Last edited by 03 A/E Coupe; 11-09-2018 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Don't forget the Sun Screen
Old 11-09-2018, 07:13 AM
Black 03 Z06
CF Senior Member

Ya never know maybe Brian France will sit with you and bum a beer or two from ya all. Your cost per beer goes up but now you would have snakes, scorpions and and an ******* to join you.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:10 AM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by champs65 View Post
How can it be possible that NASCAR pre race inspections can be SO detailed, SO finite that a car possibly needs to go through three times before either "passing" or starting at the end of the field, week in and week out.

And yet, at the same time how can they miss something so egregiously "incorrect" with Harvcks' spoiler that during post race inspection they felt compelled to dock him 40 points, his team 40 points, suspend his crew chief, suspend his car chief, fine them 75,000 and yank his spot at Homestead?

I agree!!

(#78 for the win, and #22 for the wall.....)
Old 11-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Black 03 Z06
CF Senior Member

And the 18 upside down on the hill with a few pissed of snakes.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:40 AM
09Z06pj
CF Senior Member

I felt just like you when this was first announced. After thinking about it a bit more, what smells is the almost absolute silence by SHR and their acceptance of the penalty without any argument whatsoever. They obviously got caught cheating in a big way and probably just want this to go away. I think we now know why the SHR cars have all been so good this year. I do agree that it smells to hell and back that NASCAR didn't find this in pre-race inspection and that someone looked at the spoiler after the race and said, "Hey, that doesn't look right." Not buying that scenario at all. Clearly, someone ratted them out.

With all that said, why can't teams fabricate stuff like rear wings? The innovation is long gone and the whole thing has turned into nothing more than a spec series. Sad. BTW, I'm good with anyone other than the 18 and 22 winning the championship. Maybe those douches can do everyone a favor and wreck each other in the early laps at Homestead. That would be perfect.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:50 AM
GCD1962
CF Senior Member

Might have passed inspection then got "nudged over" before the race. Small amount, but enough. Not an approved spoiler which could have been made to do just that. SHR basically admitted "you caught us" and didn't even try to dispute it.
Not Nascars fault they didn't catch it in pre-inspection as it was probably ok at that time. Very similar to another SHR car. #10 passed laser but just before race someone noticed something different on the right rear quarter and the #10 went from position 5 to the back of the pack for the start. SHR pushing too hard and clearly got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Nascar giving very serious thought to next year penalties whereby if after the race a level 1 violation will mean a total disqualification of the race not merely fines and such but you still get the win. If they do that the #2 car would get the win (I assume)
Old 11-09-2018, 12:41 PM
pastorbrad
CF Senior Member

Other teams have been messing with the spoilers, it's said, SHR just got caught. Remember the little bits of tape on the 9 car spoiler and the crewman trying - and failing - to sneak them off? Spoiler is an outside made part, apparently the aero effects are so pronounced that it's treated very strictly.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:15 PM
CQRT
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Not bad weather - -

Old 11-09-2018, 02:22 PM
moose.b3
CF Senior Member

I guess the innovative days of "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" are over. Too bad.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Morgdve
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by moose.b3 View Post
I guess the innovative days of "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" are over. Too bad.

Actually, (to me) you are expected to try as hard as you can, within the rules. If you can't win, within the rules, go ahead and cheat, just don't get caught. Harvick's team got caught. As pointed out, they are not appealing the penalty, cause they know they were cheating.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:23 PM
pastorbrad
CF Senior Member

Don't make him angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.
Harvick on the pole. Elliott alongside.
And to anticipate complaints on Sunday about poor attendance, this race is sold out. Empty seats, that's on the fans and not NASCAR.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:01 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj View Post
I felt just like you when this was first announced. After thinking about it a bit more, what smells is the almost absolute silence by SHR and their acceptance of the penalty without any argument whatsoever. They obviously got caught cheating in a big way and probably just want this to go away. I think we now know why the SHR cars have all been so good this year. I do agree that it smells to hell and back that NASCAR didn't find this in pre-race inspection and that someone looked at the spoiler after the race and said, "Hey, that doesn't look right." Not buying that scenario at all. Clearly, someone ratted them out.

With all that said, why can't teams fabricate stuff like rear wings? The innovation is long gone and the whole thing has turned into nothing more than a spec series. Sad. BTW, I'm good with anyone other than the 18 and 22 winning the championship. Maybe those douches can do everyone a favor and wreck each other in the early laps at Homestead. That would be perfect.
The problem was discovered at NASCAR's tech center where they take the first and second place cars, plus another picked at random, after every race. The spoilers are indeed a manufactured, spec part that's supposed to be the same for everyone. It had been altered in some way that could not be detected until the car was taken apart. That's as much detail as I've been able to find. I wish NASCAR would give more detail for us fans who understand the technical part of the sport.

Phoenix Raceway just spent $178m renovating its facility. I think the reports of NASCAR's impending death are have been greatly exaggerated.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:10 AM
Steve_R
Nuclear Dude
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,042 Times in 924 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid View Post
Phoenix Raceway just spent $178m renovating its facility. I think the reports of NASCAR's impending death are have been greatly exaggerated.
Yeah, thatís why TV ratings have plummeted, races arenít on network channels any more and stands at most races are at least half empty.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:12 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post

Yeah, thatís why TV ratings have plummeted, races arenít on network channels any more and stands at most races are at least half empty.

They're not the only track that has spent big money on renovations recently. So you think the owners are all idiots?
Old 11-10-2018, 12:14 AM
Steve_R
Nuclear Dude
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,042 Times in 924 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid View Post
They're not the only track that has spent big money on renovations recently. So you think the owners are all idiots?
Nope, didn’t say that. RIF.

Edit: Read this.

The facts say NASCAR is dying. Fast. We used to travel to 3-4 races every year and watch the rest on TV. We don’t do either now. We’re not alone.

Last edited by Steve_R; 11-10-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:21 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post

Nope, didnít say that. RIF.

So what sport hasn't declined from it's peak? There's a lot more competition for the entertainment dollar today. If I remeber right Daytona spent over $200m on renovations and NASCAR owns that track. I'm thinking they're not doing too bad.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: