Forum Lawyers, Know-It-Alls, And All Others......Advice Needed - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Forum Lawyers, Know-It-Alls, And All Others......Advice Needed

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Forum Lawyers, Know-It-Alls, And All Others......Advice Needed

Old 12-07-2018, 10:06 AM
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

The truck driver is responsible for all the damage; yours and the power company. The Power Company will collect. You can also collect in AC court. If you get a judgment and they refuse to pay, have the local marshal impound their truck. You will have to file another piece of paper and pay a fee to get the collection or their property impounded but you can collect. Yes, I speak from experience.

The second route is to file for collections at the local license office and they should refuse to renew his business license until he pays off the outstanding court judgement.. Again, I am speaking from experience..
Old 12-07-2018, 10:17 AM
VITIS
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE View Post
I had a 10 foot hollow pole with wires inside from meter running up side of my house to the roof line. Truck pulled down pole running up the side of my house and it broke off from the meter, power still connected though.
So they damaged the weatherhead. That would be your responsibility, but in this case the trucking company needs to pay. If they have an issue with the lines, they should take that up with the power company.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:21 AM
fake
CF Senior Member

Being a electrical contractor for 40 years the power company is at fault because they placed the public in danger by not having the lateral at code height. The local bldg dept electrical inspector should be notified of other areas that might have a similar problem that could become a unsafe condition ! The first paragraph in the National Electrical Code is the practical safe guarding of persons , places etc. I would place a claim with the power company with time lost,aggravation and any electrical up grades you have to do. I have played games with the Utilitys for years they are getting worse each and every year. Stock holders want more profits.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:23 AM
flange
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Z06PSI View Post
That's nuts.

Here they are responsible from the meter back.
One would think this would be the case everywhere, but it isn't. Here too, we are responsible for the drop to the meter from a point right at the roofline. Usually the wires are just bugged at the roofline, then must be run down in conduit. In some places, like my development its different due to the wires feeding underground and up to the meter, but those are few and far between. Regardless, I agree with the thread consensus. Trucker is at fault, if it were dangerous to drive under he should have not done so. Its likely he was doing a dump load and rolled forward with the dump up, forgetting about the wire. His fault.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:42 AM
neece
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Bummer! Did you pay for the pellets? If not, then don't pay until they agree to fix their mistake.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:49 AM
Rodnok1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VITIS View Post
So they damaged the weatherhead. That would be your responsibility, but in this case the trucking company needs to pay. If they have an issue with the lines, they should take that up with the power company.

Weatherhead down is your property, had same issue during an ice storm.
I'd take the offer and run consider yourself lucky even though the truck is responsible. Minimum wire height to clear trucks only for highways although their is a minimum for all wiring(likely grandfathered in if older home). I'd look into having it raised since runs over the driveway and likely to be hit again.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:55 AM
Greg00Coupe
CF Senior Member

Power company is not responsible. No different then if it was water or gas feeds. It’s on or over your property it’s yours.

I worked for a power company and believe me dealt with this all the time.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:58 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Up Here In Patriots Nation Drinking The Haters Tears
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by neece View Post
Bummer! Did you pay for the pellets? If not, then don't pay until they agree to fix their mistake.
No, I didn't pay for the pellets. Company said they will eat that cost but won't pay for entire bill.

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post

Weatherhead down is your property, had same issue during an ice storm.
I'd take the offer and run consider yourself lucky even though the truck is responsible. Minimum wire height to clear trucks only for highways although their is a minimum for all wiring(likely grandfathered in if older home). I'd look into having it raised since runs over the driveway and likely to be hit again.

My electrician that did the repair has already taken care of that. The main feed line is now the highest wire coming to the house (above cable and phone).
Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C4 of Year Finalist

BTW.....company told me over the phone they would be delivering with a trailer and electric pallet jack, apparently showed up with a box truck instead.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Sunset-C6
CF Senior Member

I already paid the bill......no lawyer needed for small claims if I decide to go that route.

Power company told me that I'm responsible for wires connecting from meter to their connection at roof line. From roof line to pole is their responsibility.
Start a go fund me account
Old 12-07-2018, 11:58 AM
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Split wood next time like a real man.

Also get Voy to call them for you saying he will give a negative review. Then you will get free pellets
Old 12-07-2018, 12:02 PM
PKguitar
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18

It's obviously the Honda driver's fault, but you'll have trouble convincing the power company of that.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

So what does your local code say about how how your power drop has to be?

Call them back and tell them you spoke with the town electrical inspector and your drop was to code, so pay up or end up in court and bad yelp reviews.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:13 PM
C6 Snowboarder
CF Senior Member

Open a Go Fund me Account - pay off the 1/2 you may or may not owe... take the rest of it and buy another Corvette.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:15 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Location: Williamsport. PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
I believe in the Beer Fairy

At the farm, I have overhead electric with a pole about 40-50 feet from the house. That is connected with an entrance cable that I am pretty sure I purchased and own. If I didn't purchase the hanging part, they supplied identical wire for that loop. It connects at the pole under the transformer and at the weatherhead on the side of the house. I connected the weatherhead and the cable clamps at the house. They made the connection at the pole and set the height. I left about 3' pigtails at the weatherhead for them to put on crimp connections to attach the part that hangs.

As to who is responsible from there I don't recall. But I am pretty sure they told me anything on that overhead line is their responsibility, and from the weatherhead down that's all mine. So up till the house connection, it's theirs.

Pennsylvania of course.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:22 PM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0 View Post
Split wood next time like a real man.

Also get Voy to call them for you saying he will give a negative review. Then you will get free pellets

and if that doesn't work, have FPD write them a scathing diatribe of a letter

BTW what kind of **** hole neighborhood do you live in? pellet heater? power cables overhead, not buried?

Last edited by KarlK; 12-07-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:26 PM
JetMechZ16
CF Senior Member

I already paid the bill......no lawyer needed for small claims if I decide to go that route.

Power company told me that I'm responsible for wires connecting from meter to their connection at roof line. From roof line to pole is their responsibility.
Do you live in a third world country? Who has above ground power to their home nowadays? This your place?

Old 12-07-2018, 12:29 PM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0 View Post
So what does your local code say about how how your power drop has to be?

Call them back and tell them you spoke with the town electrical inspector and your drop was to code, so pay up or end up in court and bad yelp reviews.

I'm going to call the town inspector and find this info out, thanks.

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
At the farm, I have overhead electric with a pole about 40-50 feet from the house. That is connected with an entrance cable that I am pretty sure I purchased and own. If I didn't purchase the hanging part, they supplied identical wire for that loop. It connects at the pole under the transformer and at the weatherhead on the side of the house. I connected the weatherhead and the cable clamps at the house. They made the connection at the pole and set the height. I left about 3' pigtails at the weatherhead for them to put on crimp connections to attach the part that hangs.

As to who is responsible from there I don't recall. But I am pretty sure they told me anything on that overhead line is their responsibility, and from the weatherhead down that's all mine. So up till the house connection, it's theirs.

Pennsylvania of course.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works here also. My electrician said the main feed should be the highest wire, which it wasn't, but I purchased the house like this and have never had a problem until now

Old 12-07-2018, 12:35 PM
snide
CF Senior Member

Location: You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make him think. - snide The problem with the gene
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I had a 10 foot hollow pole with wires inside from meter running up side of my house to the roof line. Truck pulled down pole running up the side of my house and it broke off from the meter, power still connected though.
We're gonna need an MS Paint diagram.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:36 PM
repo
CF Senior Member

St Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by KarlK View Post

and if that doesn't work, have FPD write them a scathing diatribe of a letter

BTW what kind of **** hole neighborhood do you live in? pellet heater? power cables overhead, not buried?
lol

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: