[PICS] First time shooting a Fashion Model - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

[PICS] First time shooting a Fashion Model

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

[PICS] First time shooting a Fashion Model

Old 01-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Nitro-C5
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid View Post
Would... and nice work as per norm.
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack View Post
Very lovely lady and some very good pics. You do good work, Rick.
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
Great Pics, Rick. Lovely lady! I like the one where she has on the white shirt with the jacket. Also the one that is a closeup of her face/hair. Great job!
Thank you
Old 01-11-2019, 08:15 PM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitro-C5 View Post

Thank you for the feedback. Im not that experienced using light in photography so I might just be doing it wrong all this time. Always willing to learn.

Thank you for the offer, but to be clear I am not requesting for you to fix any of my photos. Although they are not award winning I will take responsibility for the inferior work. Instead if you could show us some of your own work with the proper lighting set up that would be much appreciated.
And to be clear, I am not offering to fix any of your photos. I actually said as much. It was just a suggestion.

Someday when I'm bored, I can always find a pic online of someone with rings in their eyes and play with it.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Nitro-C5
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
And to be clear, I am not offering to fix any of your photos. I actually said as much. It was just a suggestion.

Someday when I'm bored, I can always find a pic online of someone with rings in their eyes and play with it.

Yeah please do me a favor when you get bored one day. That said, I have a better suggestion for you...Instead of going on line and "playing" with other people work why don't you just create your own images?

I certainly always appreciate actual feedback from people, which can be shown in countless threads I have started over the years....with one notable exception. If you are going to comment on something and say that it is wrong, then atleast have some basic knowledge about what you are talking about.

Here is a picture by renowned Fashion Photographer Matthew Jordan of Tyra Banks (you may of heard of her before) that was published in Vogue Magazine (kinda an important magazine in the fashion world). He put the Ring Light back farther so the catch lights are right in the middle, which I personally do not think look as good...but that is still the correct use of the light.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:06 PM
IMXCITD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Great pics as always Rick!!
Old 01-11-2019, 09:13 PM
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member

Poor girl.
It looks like she hasn't been fed properly.
Ever.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:27 PM
driver9
CF Senior Member

So I shot a little bit of "Fashion" style about 6 months ago, but the model I used was more a Lingerie Genre. This is the first time I have ever photographed exclusively in this Genre before. Still much to learn but some different looks for me to try and extend my photography range abit. This Girl is much thinner than the more "Athletic" Women I photograph. All Comments and Critique are welcome, just don't be azz about her personally...if you can help it.

...and YES there are some shots using a "Ring Light" in this group. I'm sure still not using one properly...but I thought I would put in a few shots just to rile a few of you up!

I think I was the one who had a discussion with you about not liking the ring light. FWIW, I really like this use of it. The fact that the ring has been broken up makes it more subtle. It seems like it enhances her look in this pic. Other uses seem more of a distraction. To me. And of course YMMV.

Nice work as always.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Silverback51
CF Senior Member

Yeah please do me a favor when you get bored one day. That said, I have a better suggestion for you...Instead of going on line and "playing" with other people work why don't you just create your own images?

I certainly always appreciate actual feedback from people, which can be shown in countless threads I have started over the years....with one notable exception. If you are going to comment on something and say that it is wrong, then atleast have some basic knowledge about what you are talking about.

Here is a picture by renowned Fashion Photographer Matthew Jordan of Tyra Banks (you may of heard of her before) that was published in Vogue Magazine (kinda an important magazine in the fashion world). He put the Ring Light back farther so the catch lights are right in the middle, which I personally do not think look as good...but that is still the correct use of the light.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:02 PM
Cygnus
CF Senior Member

It's been more than a decade since I've switched from fashion to commercial work, but the basic rule of thumb is to keep the catch light in the pupil versus the iris of the eye when the subject is straight on.

Of course the rules are there to be broken, but when broken they have to be done for a purpose. Ring lights are notoriously difficult, and when doing headshots, they are generally pushed back (off camera) or added to a long lens to gain that same effect of forcing the catch light into the pupil.

One thing I notice in your ring light images is the softening of the edges of her skin. This is normally not the desired effect. Again, if breaking the rules, do it for a reason and that should be obvious to the viewer.

Considering that this is outside of your wheel house, I think that you did a damn fine job of it. I would suggest watching the hand placements when they get near the face as that look is more senior portrait than fashion, but none are distracting enough to pull the attention.

One suggestion I have if you're struggling to get the ring light to catch the eye in the right location is to split the light. Tape the bottom and top of the light to shorten the halo effect. It gives a different looks kind of like this ( ) but it is different and pleasing for a catch light effect.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:11 PM
E in Phila
CF Senior Member

Took me a while to figure out what this "catch light" talk was about, but now I get it. Interesting discussion. There is so much more to photography than us laymen realize.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:13 PM
Nitro-C5
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by driver9 View Post
I think I was the one who had a discussion with you about not liking the ring light. FWIW, I really like this use of it. The fact that the ring has been broken up makes it more subtle. It seems like it enhances her look in this pic. Other uses seem more of a distraction. To me. And of course YMMV.

Nice work as always.
If you have ever followed any of my threads over the years I always respect people OPINIONS...all I ask is if someone gives an opinion then state is as such. I really appreciate the interaction and it does help me become better. That said I'm not a fan, especially when it comes to something as subjective as art, when someone states as a fact another is using a certain technique wrong. Especially when its clear (to anyone who is knowledgeable) that they are actually correct. I have never claimed to be great at anything, but I'm not going to sit back and have someone spew crap either.

Now back to the look. First of all, anyone who is experienced in portrait photography knows that you should (almost without exception) have a clear catch light in the eyes of the subject. What is so divisive with a ring light is that it gives an extremely unique lighting pattern on the face and catch light in the eyes that honestly does not look natural (because you are actually shooting through the light source)...but again that is what makes it so different. Personally, I don't always love the look either but I like it enough to use some shots in my portfolio to set my work about, therefore I only use every once in awhile.

Here are some additional example of using a ring light. Again, no one has to like it, but it is used correctly in these examples as well.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:26 PM
Nitro-C5
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
It's been more than a decade since I've switched from fashion to commercial work, but the basic rule of thumb is to keep the catch light in the pupil versus the iris of the eye when the subject is straight on.

Of course the rules are there to be broken, but when broken they have to be done for a purpose. Ring lights are notoriously difficult, and when doing headshots, they are generally pushed back (off camera) or added to a long lens to gain that same effect of forcing the catch light into the pupil.

One thing I notice in your ring light images is the softening of the edges of her skin. This is normally not the desired effect. Again, if breaking the rules, do it for a reason and that should be obvious to the viewer.

Considering that this is outside of your wheel house, I think that you did a damn fine job of it. I would suggest watching the hand placements when they get near the face as that look is more senior portrait than fashion, but none are distracting enough to pull the attention.

One suggestion I have if you're struggling to get the ring light to catch the eye in the right location is to split the light. Tape the bottom and top of the light to shorten the halo effect. It gives a different looks kind of like this ( ) but it is different and pleasing for a catch light effect.

No this is what I am talking about...this is real FEEDBACK that can lead to a fruitful discussion.

First of all thank-you for taking the time to respond. This is only the second shoot I have ever done in the "Fashion" Genre...so too be honest even though she has experience it is kinda hard for me to give her direction on the poses, so that falls on me.

Regarding the notorious "Ring Light" I actually did purposely put it in the Iris this time, but I normally do/did put in the pupil. To me in the pupil did not look right (although its a personal matter of taste) so I started looking around at other ring light photogs and came across "Mike McGee" . In the grand scheme of things I don't know how good he is, but I noticed he almost always puts the catch light in the Iris.

I think the edge of the skin maybe more of the depth of field fall off than the lighting. The light I use is not really powerful so shooting at f6.3 at 120mm so pretty shallow depth of field.

NOTE: I have only actually used a Ring Light maybe 8-10 shoots ever, so still much to learn. If you don't mind would you give me some feedback on a few of the shots below? These were from the first shoot I ever did with the light. This NHRA PSM Rookie of the Year - Melissa Surber.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:28 PM
Cygnus
CF Senior Member

The Clooney shoot actually looks more like a parabolic reflector than a ring flash, but your point is 100% correct.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:30 PM
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

If you have ever followed any of my threads over the years I always respect people OPINIONS...all I ask is if someone gives an opinion then state is as such. I really appreciate the interaction and it does help me become better. That said I'm not a fan, especially when it comes to something as subjective as art, when someone states as a fact another is using a certain technique wrong. Especially when its clear (to anyone who is knowledgeable) that they are actually correct. I have never claimed to be great at anything, but I'm not going to sit back and have someone spew crap either.

Now back to the look. First of all, anyone who is experienced in portrait photography knows that you should (almost without exception) have a clear catch light in the eyes of the subject. What is so divisive with a ring light is that it gives an extremely unique lighting pattern on the face and catch light in the eyes that honestly does not look natural (because you are actually shooting through the light source)...but again that is what makes it so different. Personally, I don't always love the look either but I like it enough to use some shots in my portfolio to set my work about, therefore I only use every once in awhile.

Here are some additional example of using a ring light. Again, no one has to like it, but it is used correctly in these examples as well.

See how the hair is not covering the eyes and part of the face, just saying
Old 01-11-2019, 10:32 PM
Nitro-C5
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

The Clooney shoot actually looks more like a parabolic reflector than a ring flash, but your point is 100% correct.

Google had it listed as a "ring light" photo but its likely not, though I included it more to show folks that your light source is going to dictate your catch lights (assuming they are not at an extreme angle)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:34 PM
Nitro-C5
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0 View Post
See how the hair is not covering the eyes and part of the face, just saying

and you are correct. Her hair was abit wild so we went for the "messy" look...which made it abit unmanageable at times.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 PM
Cygnus
CF Senior Member

If you don't mind would you give me some feedback on a few of the shots below? These were from the first shoot I ever did with the light. This NHRA PSM Rookie of the Year - Melissa Surber.
That sharp style of catch light was very, very popular in the early 2000's. FSHN magazine made their bones hiring every photographer who could pull that look off.

The overall effect is damn near perfect on the skin, nice sharp edges that scream ring flash.

The hand placement is still more "portrait" in these two shots. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you're going to add fashion shots into your book, be careful with it. Editors hate that "Look at me mommy, I'm pretty" shot and they'll toss your book.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:50 PM
Cygnus
CF Senior Member

I vary my catch lights between in the pupil and in the iris depending on the work. For fashion (including editorials) I always keep the light in the pupil.

For commercial ads, the catch light is always in the iris.

That is just a personal style that I picked up many years ago and it has always worked for me. The clients and editors love the difference and it is a good selling point for our studio.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 PM
Nitro-C5
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

The one of the girl Drag Racer Melissa was like only the second professional shoot she had ever done before. She got better and better with each shoot (we have done 4 together), but has no real skill in front of a camera, very stiff...though she is a better racer than any of us on CFOT!

Nice shots you got there. Is that a dual soft/octo box for your lights? By the look you are on 1:1 ratio (left to right) and pretty much eye level. It does give a nice look!

I vary my catch lights between in the pupil and in the iris depending on the work. For fashion (including editorials) I always keep the light in the pupil.

For commercial ads, the catch light is always in the iris.

That is just a personal style that I picked up many years ago and it has always worked for me. The clients and editors love the difference and it is a good selling point for our studio.

Last edited by Nitro-C5; 01-11-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:41 PM
lite blue
CF Senior Member

Location: I'm going to need a bucket of ice and a roll of gaffer tape
St. Jude Donor '12

Pretty girl to be sure!
Old 01-12-2019, 12:43 AM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Sure, there are many ways to skin a cat, and not so many absolute rights and wrongs. But of course I am in CFOT, so I am an expert in all areas. ;-)

​​​​​​But I do know what I like. You can take my suggestions or leave them.

However I do not think I will be experimenting with my own images. I know it is hard to believe, but I do not actually own a ring flash. So if I experiment, it will be on the images of others. But I doubt I will get around to it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [PICS] First time shooting a Fashion Model

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: