[PICS] First time shooting a Fashion Model - Page 4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

[PICS] First time shooting a Fashion Model

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

[PICS] First time shooting a Fashion Model

Old 01-12-2019, 08:15 AM
Shammalammadingdong
CF Senior Member

But what about the nipple ring light technique?

Old 01-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Cygnus
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitro-C5 View Post
The one of the girl Drag Racer Melissa was like only the second professional shoot she had ever done before. She got better and better with each shoot (we have done 4 together), but has no real skill in front of a camera, very stiff...though she is a better racer than any of us on CFOT!

Nice shots you got there. Is that a dual soft/octo box for your lights? By the look you are on 1:1 ratio (left to right) and pretty much eye level. It does give a nice look!
I use a pair of Profoto off camera beauty dishes for all model work packed with some custom diffusers and grids that were made by Paul Buff for shaping the light.

I personally love working with less experienced models as they don't have any bad habits to work around. Once they've been around a while they tend to think that they know everything and more often than not just makes it harder.

One neat little tip when you are experimenting with different catch lights, shoot in a dark (lower light) studio and turn off the modeling light. This will cause the pupils to enlarge and gives a really interesting look. You can play with all sorts of diffuser/grid shapes to add more texture. In this one, I used a 60 inch off camera beauty dish with a star honeycomb grind.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:54 PM
kingpin111
CF Senior Member

The only person who is going to notice this ring light is 1. a pro 2. someone into photography.
The rest of us just see a pic for a split second in the real world as it's selling something in most cases and that's it.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:00 PM
Silverback51
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by kingpin111 View Post
The only person who is going to notice this ring light is 1. a pro 2. someone into photography.
The rest of us just see a pic for a split second in the real world as it's selling something in most cases and that's it.

If it had not been mentioned I would never have noticed the ring light issue. Nor would I know that there is a right or wrong way to do it.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:14 PM
theplatinumog
CF Senior Member

So I shot a little bit of "Fashion" style about 6 months ago, but the model I used was more a Lingerie Genre. This is the first time I have ever photographed exclusively in this Genre before. Still much to learn but some different looks for me to try and extend my photography range abit. This Girl is much thinner than the more "Athletic" Women I photograph. All Comments and Critique are welcome, just don't be azz about her personally...if you can help it.

...and YES there are some shots using a "Ring Light" in this group. I'm sure still not using one properly...but I thought I would put in a few shots just to rile a few of you up!

Good work

Old 01-12-2019, 03:54 PM
Shammalammadingdong
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
I use a pair of Profoto off camera beauty dishes for all model work packed with some custom diffusers and grids that were made by Paul Buff for shaping the light.

I personally love working with less experienced models as they don't have any bad habits to work around. Once they've been around a while they tend to think that they know everything and more often than not just makes it harder.

One neat little tip when you are experimenting with different catch lights, shoot in a dark (lower light) studio and turn off the modeling light. This will cause the pupils to enlarge and gives a really interesting look. You can play with all sorts of diffuser/grid shapes to add more texture. In this one, I used a 60 inch off camera beauty dish with a star honeycomb grind.

That's an amazing photo.

Is a photo like that possible without a lot of computer work after the pic is taken?

Old 01-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Nitro-C5
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Beautiful shot Steve! My big issue, even after all of these years, it is still very hard for me to "see" the shot I want prior. Its still not a natural process for me. I just finished a shoot right now (3pm Saturday) and I am starting the download...I am already saying "Crap I should have done this, or why didn't I think of that"! I suppose in the end it is one of the things I like about Art, I don't feel like you can ever be at a point where you feel like Ahhhh I got it perfect, exactly what I want, every single time. Always room to improve. This is atleast true for me anyway.

Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post

Old 01-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Silverback51
CF Senior Member

Question Rick. When you are setting up the shot, can you see the light ring effect in the eye, or is that something that only appears in the picture after the fact?
Old 01-12-2019, 05:46 PM
Nitro-C5
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
Question Rick. When you are setting up the shot, can you see the light ring effect in the eye, or is that something that only appears in the picture after the fact?
So there is basically 2 different types of ring lights. One is a Macro Ring light which is much smaller (about 6" diameter) and normally attached to the lens (this is usually a flash/strobe). Then a constant light LED Ring Light which is ~20" in diameter that is on a stand that you shoot through. In this shoot I am using the lager one to shoot through and since it is constant light, yes you see the pattern before you press the shutter. Looks something like this:

Old 01-13-2019, 03:01 PM
Cygnus
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shammalammadingdong View Post
That's an amazing photo.

Is a photo like that possible without a lot of computer work after the pic is taken?
When creating any image, you have two choices. Put the time in before the shot, or put the time in after the shot.

This year will mark the 28th year making my living as a photographer and my computer editing skills are still very lousy, so I have to do it the hard way and do as much as possible before taking the shot. When you have a great makeup artist and stylists, the post processing is incredibly easy and even the most lay person (like myself) can handle it.

Now this way isn't the cheap way, but I believe it is the best way. Post editing has come a very long ways, but no amount of time or skill will fix a bad image. If you learn to do it right from the beginning, life becomes easier for you, your clients, the editors, and so on.

Beautiful shot Steve! My big issue, even after all of these years, it is still very hard for me to "see" the shot I want prior. Its still not a natural process for me. I just finished a shoot right now (3pm Saturday) and I am starting the download...I am already saying "Crap I should have done this, or why didn't I think of that"! I suppose in the end it is one of the things I like about Art, I don't feel like you can ever be at a point where you feel like Ahhhh I got it perfect, exactly what I want, every single time. Always room to improve. This is at least true for me anyway.
Seeing the shot before hand is not an easy task and one that most never master.

Thankfully, most of the time working fashion or commercial photographers don't need to "see" the shot.

All that work is done long before you ever unpack the camera from your gear bag. Depending on the end use, when the process begins, you spend weeks working with the art director, editor, publisher, client, ad agency managers, etc. building the various mood boards to determine what everyone wants the final image to be. This is usually the only part of the process where the photographer gets to put in their desire on what can be tweaked.

In the last few years, pinterest has made mood boards so easy that the process is a little faster than it used to be when people were cutting images out of magazines and writing notes on the page.

Even with the mood boards, sooner or later most clients or the various reps will change their mind on the set, but rarely does the wish of the photographer sway the final decisions.

When I set up the shoot, I try to work in a half an hour for the fun shots where I (or one of my photographers) can experiment a little within the parameters of what the client or ad agency wants. Some clients/agencies won't permit this until you have a great working relationship with them, but this is where the photographer can really grow.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:27 AM
DJ_Critterus
CF Senior Member

Location: FL.... America's Wang! No shrinkage. Winter's not coming!
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by theplatinumog View Post
Good work

Is this the same model?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [PICS] First time shooting a Fashion Model

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: