Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

How many Kegerator owners here?

Old 01-15-2019, 11:13 AM
DJ_Critterus
CF Senior Member

Location: FL.... America's Wang! No shrinkage. Winter's not coming!
St. Jude Donor '09

Now that i think about it, the tube carrying the golden beverage for all occasions up to the tap in my kegerator is maybe 3'. Hmm.....I'll try a longer one as soon as I decide to start drinking beer again (not a big fan....don't want the body shape of a C4 owner).
Old 01-15-2019, 11:21 AM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Force-1 View Post
Not for me - I like enjoying and trying new beers on a continuous basis.

Plus most of our local independent brewers have crowlers now, which greatly increases the ability to take different beers home.
I like variety too, and just bought 3 12/15 variety packs the other day. Was like $62 for 2-15s and 1-12. I just hate spending that much on beer. Been forced to do it about the last year or so. Sucks...
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
Now that i think about it, the tube carrying the golden beverage for all occasions up to the tap in my kegerator is maybe 3'. Hmm.....I'll try a longer one as soon as I decide to start drinking beer again (not a big fan....don't want the body shape of a C4 owner).
Go to morebeer and get the supersoft lines. You can use 10' if you like, it's not like you're restricted to any length. Don't forget the diameter also has an effect. If you get the supersoft stuff and buy it in 3/16", you can put the ends in boiling water to warm them and then put them on 1/4" fittings. Then you need less length for the same reduction in flow.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:56 PM
maugust24
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
The beer lines need replaced regardless if they are cleaned or not. They'll start picking up off flavors if you don't.

The Beer only dissolves (absorbs) as much CO2 as you put to it. This is why there's a regulator. If you increase the pressure, the CO2 dissolves into the beer more. That is also linked to alcohol content. Higher ABV results in more CO2 absorbtion. For instance, to carbonate a beer, 9-11 psi is fine. But to carbonate soda which is 0% alcohol, you'll need to turn it up to 30-40psi. Another factor is temperature. Colder liquids will absorb more CO2, warmer will accept less.

Any time the pressure is lower than the carbonating pressure, the beer will get flatter. Any time it is higher, it'll become more foamy.
Only if it leaks. Years...
Well, it does but I'll let this alone.
Irrelevant unless there's leaks, which there should not be.

Not a bad regulator, just one set wrong for that beer.

The 6' rule is really misunderstood. The distance is used for additional friction to reduce the orifice pressure at the tap. Reason being is you want more pressure to actually carbonate the beer, but if the pressure is too high, it comes out too fast, degassing the beer and making all foam. This is exasperated with higher alcohol beers. With a higher abv beer, it'll actually absorb more CO2 and requires less pressure to do so. So those beers do not require that additional line length IF they are the only beer on because you can lower the pressure and dispense them slower while keeping them carbonated.

Another thing to consider is if you have a tap system that's not in use constantly, that system will have faucets which assume room temp and to cool them, beer gets warmed as it's poured. That causes LOTS of foam on the first beer, while beers poured immediately after have less foam because they are going through a faucet that's already been cooled down. Why someone hasn't made a faucet with lower mass and better insulation is a mystery to me.
Thanks for the education. I was going soley on what my local place where I buy my kegs and accessories told me. I had a lot of foaming issues when I first got the kegerator so I was just following what they told me. When I have Shock Top I run the co2 at 10. Right now I have Michalob Amber Bach at 11 so I should be good To just leave the co2 on correct?
Old 01-15-2019, 02:04 PM
05c6silververt
CF Senior Member

Location: Well whaddaya know? You really can fool some of the people all of the time.
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

I had a meister back in the day. Had to let it go. Was waking up on the sofa in the morning waaay too often.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:52 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by maugust24 View Post
Thanks for the education. I was going soley on what my local place where I buy my kegs and accessories told me. I had a lot of foaming issues when I first got the kegerator so I was just following what they told me. When I have Shock Top I run the co2 at 10. Right now I have Michalob Amber Bach at 11 so I should be good To just leave the co2 on correct?
I have 2 made in the USA gauges on my system and they read 1.5 pounds different. So, I tend to avoid recommending pressures. You simply have to decide if your beer is accceptable as poured and adjust accordingly. Yes, I leave the CO2 on all the time, and with no leaks, it'll go years without needing the tank filled. I use a separate tank for initial carbonation at 30psi for one day.
Originally Posted by 05c6silververt View Post
I had a meister back in the day. Had to let it go. Was waking up on the sofa in the morning waaay too often.
Shoots my theory all to hell. I figured with all your incoherent posts you were drunk 24/7. Who knew?
Old 01-15-2019, 03:35 PM
05c6silververt
CF Senior Member

Location: Well whaddaya know? You really can fool some of the people all of the time.
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Shoots my theory all to hell. I figured with all your incoherent posts you were drunk 24/7. Who knew?
Covfefe!
Old 01-15-2019, 03:44 PM
pewter99
Admin
Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser

I want one but we drink so much variety I dunno
Old 01-15-2019, 07:12 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by pewter99 View Post
I want one but we drink so much variety I dunno
it wouldn't work for you. It works for somebody who homebrews and puts their beer into corny kegs. They're only nine inch in diameter. If you're buying beer commercially though, it's going to come at least in a quarter and the diameter of them alone restricts you to using some gigantic Appliance. I have four kegs in a tiny little 25 inch square freezer. I'm not sure it would hold one 1/2 keg.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:28 PM
Blue Lion
CF Senior Member

If I had one I'd never stop drinking
Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 AM
bashcraft
CF Senior Member

it wouldn't work for you. It works for somebody who homebrews and puts their beer into corny kegs. They're only nine inch in diameter. If you're buying beer commercially though, it's going to come at least in a quarter and the diameter of them alone restricts you to using some gigantic Appliance. I have four kegs in a tiny little 25 inch square freezer. I'm not sure it would hold one 1/2 keg.
A lot of commercial breweries also use 1/6 kegs which are similar in size to the cornys but with a sanke tap.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:15 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by bashcraft View Post
A lot of commercial breweries also use 1/6 kegs which are similar in size to the cornys but with a sanke tap.
Had not seen them. Same size as a Corny. Hmm.

Might not be in widespread use though. Looks like it's aimed at homebrewers. The taps are fairly salty too. I've got 2 of em, and 2 1/2 kegs, but never use em.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:44 PM
ny32182
CF Senior Member

Looks like I'm getting into kegging sooner than I thought... gf is getting this puppy on sale for $428 delivered:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=4223301

Based on the description I THINK it has everything that I need except a corny keg and corny keg interface lines. Comes with a C02 tank but doesn't say what size. I hope that is 5lb.

I have a batch that's been in the fermenter for 3.5 weeks that I was about to dry hop and then bottle in a few days, but this thing will be here before the end of the week, so chances are I'll be at the beer store this weekend getting whatever else is needed to keg this batch. I'll still be drinking faster than waiting 3 weeks for bottle conditioning.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:17 PM
Silverback51
CF Senior Member

Looks nice. Hope you enjoy it.

I'm still on the fence whether to buy one or not.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:49 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

You're going to like the kegs as opposed to bottles that's for sure. That thing actually looks like you might be able to get two corny kegs in there. I was just measuring the short fat ones and two of those will fit in about a 15 and a half inch square area. If you were to get the coke style kegs I think they are 1/2 inch smaller each and a little taller and those would easily fit. Then you could retrofit another tap on there or maybe with that system you could get one of those tree things that splits it to two on the same stem. Then you could have two beers on tap.

good luck with it in any case.

it looks like you're probably going to need a regulator and some fittings and tubing. In a pinch even a hardware store will have what you need in vinyl. But for the beverage line I would make sure I use beverage line. It appears they Supply that.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:55 AM
03 A/E Coupe
CF Senior Member

Who amongst us doesn't enjoy some cold draft beer ?

Sometimes you just gotta have the Portability of some personal Pocket Kegorators
Old 01-29-2019, 02:02 PM
cuckslayer
U.S. Marines 89-93
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Gave mine away. Kinda a pain in the *** to maintain (clean) etc. Like when I cleaned the lines, you could taste the chemical for a few beers, etc. Not a fan
Old 02-11-2019, 05:24 PM
ny32182
CF Senior Member

~1.5 week review:

First, it is sized to hold one commercial half barrel keg and a 5lb C02 inside. So far I have one corny and the CO2 in it with PLENTY of room to spare. Could fit at least two, maybe three cornys.

Headed in the right direction, but have had some quirks/issues as I'm sure isn't unexpected on the first rep of anything.

Kegged that beer on 2/3 at room temp and immediately put it in the kegerator on 30psi according to the included (probably cheap) regulator.

24 hrs later it was cold and I couldn't resist trying it, knowing it wouldn't yet be optimal.
As I read about, it was carbed somewhat and drinkable, but no head retention or lacing to speak of, far from optimal.
By about Wednesday 2/6 the carb was much better after remaining at 12psi on the regulator. Now I think it is pretty well carbed with good head and lacing after a little over a week.

Problems:
-On Wed/Thursday last week, after the system sat for 24 hours I was taking a sample of maybe about 4 oz, and there was a pretty bad off taste in it that stuck around as a bad aftertaste to boot. Nothing bad in the aroma, smelled fine, just had that bad taste. In the last couple days this has been vastly reduced so I've got to assume it was something in the line that is just working itself out. I'd run about a pitcher's worth of sanitizer through the system first, but that's it.

-The supplied beer line is only about 3 feet. I didn't pick up on exactly how important this was ahead of time and sure enough am getting the foam bombs and overly degassed beer now. Strangely the first pour after sitting for a while seems to be the least foamy though.

I've got a non-flow-control Perlick faucet to upgrade to and will be installing that and a much longer beverage line after this keg kicks.
Anything else?

Googling around about the bad taste, it seems this isn't totally uncommon and some people are recommending some high dollar beer line (like $1/foot when I look it up) that they say will vastly reduce any flavor impact imparted by the line on beer that has been sitting in it for a while.
Has anyone tried that stuff? Definitely more expensive than the regular line.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:48 PM
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member

Watching Bar rescue yesterday I heard something that now makes me understand why I get bloated sometimes at establishments. When you order on tap or even pour from a bottle, if temps are not correct along with the proper pour, it affects the CO2 and in essence the co2 goes off in your stomach, giving you that bloated feeling..
Old 02-11-2019, 06:19 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Nick, buy some beverage line from more beer. You won't have any off flavors at all with that stuff. I don't care if the beer sits in there for 6 months. Yes, the nice stuff is a dollar a foot or more but it's not like you need to buy that much of it and it lasts for quite a long time. It's not even a speed bump in your beer budget. I would buy it in longer lengths and cut it yourself. I'm not thrilled with the idea of the longer supply lines. I find that to be a solution looking for a problem. I've done it, and I can kind of see if you're serving a lot of different beers on a system that maybe that's a way to equalize multiple different ones, but I think a better alternative is simply get an extra regulator for the higher ABV beers and set them up correctly to start with. Lower pressure and less supply line.

Do not waste your time with the flow control perlick faucets. They suck. I have four of them. You're better off with the standard type and just get your gas pressure correct.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:22 PM
ny32182
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the input as always.

I don't know what the solution is, but I definitely have the problem. This has actually continued to get worse.

New top end beer line will be on the way shortly.

Not quite sure I'm copying on everything though... if you have no flow control faucet and a short line, the only thing left to do would be reduce your pressure right?

Most of my beers so far have been ~6% and I think the carb level in this one would be about to my taste if I could keep it in there a little longer. If I drop the pressure it will degas in the keg, right?

The calculators tell me I need about 10-12ft of line for my beer styles depending on exact tweaks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many Kegerator owners here?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: