just move to the west side of florida
Old 01-28-2019, 12:53 PM
Steve_R
Nuclear Dude
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,123 Times in 960 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Patriot10 View Post

A friend moved from the mainland to Honolulu (Oahu) for a new job with a higher salary. However, she actually took a paycut due to Hawaii’s very high cost of living. This is a hardcore Democratic state saddled with ever increasing govt fees and taxes. There is also a new rail system being built that may bankrupt the state coffers. There is a lot of corruption here.
Lots of meth addicts here. So property crime is a huge problem.

OP lives in Chicago. Hawaii would be a conservative utopia with no corruption compared to Chicago.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:05 PM
wcsinx
CF Senior Member

I grew up in HI, and I still have a lot of family there, but I would never want to live there again. Island fever is a thing. And getting off that island is $$$.

Also no relo and a big pay cut would be a hard pass from me. Like someone mentioned earlier, they're trying to leverage the location to get you to agree to those terms. Do you really want to work for an employer that plays games like that? I know the area you're in currently isn't cheap though. What's the cost of living comparison?

Additionally one thing that was sort of mentioned earlier is, if you're white, this might be the first time in your life that you'll be exposed to racism in the context of you being the minority. I've watched more than a few haoles have trouble with that. Hawaii basically recognizes brown and not-brown ethnicities. If you stick to the urban, touristy areas, you'll be fine. But there are most certainly areas of that state, even on Oahu, where it's just not safe to be not-brown.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Patriot10
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
OP lives in Chicago. Hawaii would be a conservative utopia with no corruption compared to Chicago.
Might not be a bad move if OP can adapt easily, is humble, patient and can establish friends quickly and easily and if the new co workers are nice and his new boss is not a jerk.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:09 PM
Silverback51
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Well I think I know myself better than you know me so I can say this with complete confidence.

I enjoy road trips and seeing new sites. Being somewhere where you can drive around an island one day and then drive around it the other direction the next day would not work for me.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:31 PM
Meh
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5 View Post
Never been to Hawaii. Heard its $$$$$$. I wouldn't do it if taking a pay cut.
Lucky for you, it can't be a pay cut from zero.

Unlucky for you, it doesn't appear that anybody in Hawaii wants to hire you.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:04 PM
Lee C
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
Well I think I know myself better than you know me so I can say this with complete confidence.

I enjoy road trips and seeing new sites. Being somewhere where you can drive around an island one day and then drive around it the other direction the next day would not work for me.
I spent 3 weeks on an very small Island never again
Old 01-28-2019, 03:40 PM
JasonAndrew
CF Senior Member

Come on, IL weather isn't too bad.. It will be a high of -15 on Wednesday. By Sunday, 39 according to Google.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:53 PM
vvv90
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Turbodude View Post
I wouldn't move anywhere for a pay cut and no moving reimbursement and higher COL. Do you realize they are purposely taking advantage of you because you live in a place with crappy weather? Sounds like a trap. I once worked for a company in Norcal that operated like that. The quality of the job location wears thin quickly if the job situation sucks.

Better yet, find an expat posting in Asia for a lot more money...some of it tax-free, paid for housing/relocation, maid service, club membership, annual airfare home, and great weather...e.g. Singapore.
Your comment is basically where I landed in my mentality about all of this. I have a phone interview Monday but based on a 2 hour phone conversation I already had with my contact there, it's worse than I thought. Here's what I'd be giving up for essentially is just nice weather:

$45-65k a year pay cut
Going from 6 weeks vacation down to 2 week, no negotiation.
Over a 40 hour work week guaranteed (I work no more than 40 now and no on-call support)
Higher cost of living
More traffic (I work from home 2-3 days a week now)

and here's the real kicker:

I have to pass a certification test by the end of my first 90 days. If I don't I'm out of a job.

Yeah, that's worth the risk. For the record the certification they want me to take is something I should have anyway. The problem is that if you don't pass you have to wait 30 days to take it again. I just don't need the stress of that along with everything else.

I agree they're just trying to take advantage. Not to too my own horn but with my skills they should be kissing my *** to get me there. Their talent pool on the Island for what I do is almost non-existent.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Idaho Mark
CF Senior Member

Life isn't a destination but a journey and this could be part of your journeys to look back on. Good or bad, you'll never know for sure without doing it.
Frankly, I don't get why you want to live where you're at now, family, great food and sports maybe but the taxes and weather, no thanks.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:25 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Kinda off topic...

I think we should sell Hawaii to the highest bidder. Use the money to pay off our debt and rebuild our infrastructure.
Hawaii is a drain on the American tax payer.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:25 PM
PKguitar
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18

Originally Posted by vvv90 View Post
Your comment is basically where I landed in my mentality about all of this. I have a phone interview Monday but based on a 2 hour phone conversation I already had with my contact there, it's worse than I thought. Here's what I'd be giving up for essentially is just nice weather:

$45-65k a year pay cut
Going from 6 weeks vacation down to 2 week, no negotiation.
Over a 40 hour work week guaranteed (I work no more than 40 now and no on-call support)
Higher cost of living
More traffic (I work from home 2-3 days a week now)

and here's the real kicker:

I have to pass a certification test by the end of my first 90 days. If I don't I'm out of a job.

Yeah, that's worth the risk. For the record the certification they want me to take is something I should have anyway. The problem is that if you don't pass you have to wait 30 days to take it again. I just don't need the stress of that along with everything else.

I agree they're just trying to take advantage. Not to too my own horn but with my skills they should be kissing my *** to get me there. Their talent pool on the Island for what I do is almost non-existent.
I think you are in the right frame of mind.

Let me tell you a few things about myself:

1. I am not from New Jersey, nothing other than work is holding me here. I hate the weather 8+ months of the year. As soon as my wife and I can get financially "independent", we WILL be leaving.
2. I am white, my wife is not. This doesn't matter much because where I live in Union County NJ, everyone is a minority just like in Hawaii, so that aspect doesn't scare me at all.
3. We have been to Hawaii several times, spending a few weeks each time including all 4 major islands. We love to vacation there, and plan to go back sometime in the next few years.

And maybe the most important thing:

4. When we leave here, we will NOT be relocating to HI.

I think Maurice's post above is a great summary of why it is a great place to visit, but not a great place for most people to try to reside permanently.

You can find places in Florida with similar weather. I'm not saying Florida is the end-all of locations, but the point is that going all the way to Hawaii for the weather is stupid.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:27 PM
vvv90
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Idaho Mark View Post
Life isn't a destination but a journey and this could be part of your journeys to look back on. Good or bad, you'll never know for sure without doing it.
Frankly, I don't get why you want to live where you're at now, family, great food and sports maybe but the taxes and weather, no thanks.
We don't want to live here anymore, that's the point but there are other options besides Hawaii.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:31 PM
vvv90
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by PKguitar View Post
the point is that going all the way to Hawaii for the weather is stupid.
That literally is the only benefit. Especially with 2 weeks vacation we wouldn't be able to travel as much as we do. It would be nice to explore the Pacific area, go back to New Zealand, but 2 weeks? That's crap.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:47 PM
jim2527
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Turbodude View Post
I wouldn't move anywhere for a pay cut and no moving reimbursement and higher COL. Do you realize they are purposely taking advantage of you because you live in a place with crappy weather? Sounds like a trap. I once worked for a company in Norcal that operated like that. The quality of the job location wears thin quickly if the job situation sucks.

Better yet, find an expat posting in Asia for a lot more money...some of it tax-free, paid for housing/relocation, maid service, club membership, annual airfare home, and great weather...e.g. Singapore.
I recently found out Tampa is a destination city in our industry. Miami is even more so. Was talking with a colleague and they pay new graduates the same or a little less than we pay in Tampa.

Back in 2006, during negotiations for my current job in Tampa, I asked for for $X salary. I was flat out told NO, cost of living in Tampa is much less so your getting a raise by default. Ok, whatever.

Are there any high cost of living cities that are considered **** holes?
Old 02-02-2019, 07:11 PM
wheelswithinwheels
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by wcsinx View Post
I grew up in HI, and I still have a lot of family there, but I would never want to live there again. Island fever is a thing. And getting off that island is $$$.

Also no relo and a big pay cut would be a hard pass from me. Like someone mentioned earlier, they're trying to leverage the location to get you to agree to those terms. Do you really want to work for an employer that plays games like that? I know the area you're in currently isn't cheap though. What's the cost of living comparison?

Additionally one thing that was sort of mentioned earlier is, if you're white, this might be the first time in your life that you'll be exposed to racism in the context of you being the minority. I've watched more than a few haoles have trouble with that. Hawaii basically recognizes brown and not-brown ethnicities. If you stick to the urban, touristy areas, you'll be fine. But there are most certainly areas of that state, even on Oahu, where it's just not safe to be not-brown.
listen to this man

not just the natives and you being minority. In case you don't know yet, learn to speak J*p lol @ censor

Last edited by wheelswithinwheels; 02-02-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:53 PM
vvv90
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by wheelswithinwheels View Post
listen to this man

not just the natives and you being minority. In case you don't know yet, learn to speak J*p lol @ censor
Yes, his post helped give me perspective as well.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:03 PM
flange
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

Old 02-02-2019, 09:52 PM
vvv90
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by flange View Post
Considering I don't even live in Chicago and I work from home 3 days a week (transportation) makes those calculations incomparable.

Try to keep up.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:03 PM
PeterK
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by flange View Post
It doesn't make sense:
This one does make empirical sense. If the OP were making $150K in Chicago, he needs to be making $235K in HI simply to maintain the same lifestyle. Honolulu is wicked expensive.

I am on the big island now and I love this place mainly because it is nothing like Oahu.

Last edited by PeterK; 02-02-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Job Prospect in Hawaii

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: