Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Is the car sales business changing?

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Is the car sales business changing?

Old 02-04-2019, 05:22 PM
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
I have a truck to trade, so I have been driving it down there so they can appraise it. I think I'll get the deal on the new truck first, and then possibly haggle over the trade-in value.
Yes, DO NOT mention your trade in. If they ask, you have it sold already. Once deal on New is made, then you can say the person no longer wants to buy it, then start your trade in negotiating. Also the minute the BS starts with loans make sure they know your credit union and or bank has you at a, make up a low rate.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:26 PM
bsmith
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Yes, it is changing...
Thankfully.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:27 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a truck to trade...
Whatcha got?

Yep, they make an offer, then I make a counter. Is that unusual?
Well it's semantics but they have an asking price, you make an offer, then they counter. Is that how it's happening?

Originally Posted by Dave concrete View Post
Yes, DO NOT mention your trade in. If they ask, you have it sold already. Once deal on New is made, then you can say the person no longer wants to buy it, then start your trade in negotiating. Also the minute the BS starts with loans make sure they know your credit union and or bank has you at a, make up a low rate.
I thought only salesholes lied?

What's that saying, the first lie is usually from the customer?
Old 02-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post
Whatcha got?

Well it's semantics but they have an asking price, you make an offer, then they counter. Is that how it's happening?

I thought only salesholes lied?

What's that saying, the first lie is usually from the customer?
You know damm well the minute the trade is mentioned, ching ching
Old 02-04-2019, 05:34 PM
centuryoldracer
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
sounds like my wife.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:37 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

You know damm well the minute the trade is mentioned, ching ching
If a buyer researches their trade (KBB, NADA, Autotrader, CL, etc.) they will be fine with letting the dealer know about it, at any time. Sure some think you'll get a better deal on the purchase without mentioning it, but think about it.

Would you get a better deal on the purchase with them thinking they will make it up on the trade a little, or maybe on financing?

I just think it's funny, dealerships get **** for lying but you just suggested he lie, twice.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:38 PM
The Creeper
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I was a car guy for awhile, management always said, “Don’t waste your time on losers.”
Old 02-04-2019, 05:43 PM
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member

If a buyer researches their trade (KBB, NADA, Autotrader, CL, etc.) they will be fine with letting the dealer know about it, at any time. Sure some think you'll get a better deal on the purchase without mentioning it, but think about it.

Would you get a better deal on the purchase with them thinking they will make it up on the trade a little, or maybe on financing?

I just think it's funny, dealerships get **** for lying but you just suggested he lie, twice. :step:
For the exception of cars that are upside down and peoples emotion for a new car. I seen people make bad deals. My good friend is a wholesaler. I'll call him first and he will tell me exactly what they will offer, and what is the most they can pay, and just like clockwork, they hit you with a horrible first offer.

Last edited by Dave concrete; 02-04-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:53 PM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

I just think it's funny, dealerships get **** for lying but you just suggested he lie, twice.

When you have a trade-in, ACTUALLY, the situation changes. What I mean is this...you don't care what the price of the new car is, you don't care what they'll offer you on your trade. The ONLY number you care about, is the "difference"....the amount you have to pull out of your pocket, to make the deal.

The new vehicle can be marked up $20,000 over sticker, but if they give you $20,000 more for your trade-in, then it's a wash. Same if they discount the new vehicle $20,000 and allow you $20,000 less for your trade in. The difference is still the same, and THAT'S the number that's important.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:00 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

For the exception of cars that are upside down and peoples emotion for a new car. I seen people make bad deals. My good friend is a wholesaler. I'll call him first and he will tell me exactly what they will offer, and what is the most they can pay, and just like clockwork, they hit you with a horrible first offer.
I hear ya, but suggesting one try to gain leverage by lying is what stealerships get ripped for, shouldn't be a double standard.

Last edited by FourPennyDoug; 02-04-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:05 PM
bsmith
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
The new vehicle can be marked up $20,000 over sticker, but if they give you $20,000 more for your trade-in, then it's a wash. Same if they discount the new vehicle $20,000 and allow you $20,000 less for your trade in. The difference is still the same, and THAT'S the number that's important.

I don't lie to the salesmen about anything.
I have a number in mind, let's see how close we get.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:32 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Some people make it harder than it has to be.
Find truck. Buy truck. Drive truck home.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Ruz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by bsmith View Post

I don't lie to the salesmen about anything.
I have a number in mind, let's see how close we get.
Totally agree with this. You should have a number in mind that you are willing to pay for the vehicle, and you should know what your trade (if going that route) is worth.

If you don't know those two numbers, you are an uninformed consumer, and if you sign a bad deal it is your own fault.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member

I hear ya, but suggesting one try to gain leverage by lying is what stealerships get ripped for, shouldn't be a double standard.

Just defense. It should be no issue with dealer if dealer is honest. I choose not to involve the two cars and it should not matter to dealer. If I'm being dishonest by not saying the trade in is in fact a trade in then no harm to the dealer so long as they were not relying on the trade in to hurt or help me.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:16 PM
RAMMAN
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19

The last new car I bought I just called my broker and told him what I wanted. He found me the best deal he could in another state. Even with shipping costs it saved me several thousand dollars over the local dealers.

Last edited by RAMMAN; 02-04-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Just defense. It should be no issue with dealer if dealer is honest. I choose not to involve the two cars and it should not matter to dealer. If I'm being dishonest by not saying the trade in is in fact a trade in then no harm to the dealer so long as they were not relying on the trade in to hurt or help me.
Not trying to get into a pissing match but rationalizations aside your post actually had three instances where you suggested lying, I even numbered them. I'd be getting roasted right now if I made a post advising a newb dealer how to lie to consumers.

Yes, DO NOT mention your trade in. If they ask, (1) you have it sold already. Once deal on New is made, then you can say the (2) person no longer wants to buy it, then start your trade in negotiating. Also the minute the BS starts with loans make sure they know your credit union and or bank has you at a, (3) make up a low rate.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member

Not trying to get into a pissing match but rationalizations aside your post actually had three instances where you suggested lying, I even numbered them. I'd be getting roasted right now if I made a post advising a newb dealer how to lie to consumers.
Not a lie but a temporary fib. .
And they notoriously play with interest rates. Many times they play your credit came back not as good, or this is the best you can get. I have done work for many car salesman, general managers, finance managers in fact just did work at a Volvo dealership and we bull shitted.

Last edited by Dave concrete; 02-04-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:09 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Not a lie but a temporary fib. .
ya just an innocent fib like hey what's wrong with the a/c on your trade, oh it's just the controller, $1200 later I had a working a/c and it wasn't the damn controller.

...And they notoriously play with interest rates. Many times they play your credit came back not as good, or this is the best you can get. I have done work for many car salesman, general managers, finance managers in fact just did work at a Volvo dealership and we bull shitted.
https://youtu.be/pTaTitRENDM
I'm not defending or claiming dealerships don't lie, or play games, or try to manipulate, all I'm saying is let's be fair and acknowledge both sides do it, sometimes not on defense but on offense, come on bro

Ironically you essentially have provided a good outline for helping him in negotiations, but there are candid ways to approach all your "fibs".

For instance when they ask about a trade with that beautiful F350 Lariat you pulled up in an honest approach would be "I'm going to sell private party but here's the keys if you want to make an offer..."

Boom now they're competing for your trade while you're negotiating on the new truck. Same scenario with the financing, get preapproved before you shop and make them compete with that rate.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:17 PM
TurboTnZ06
CF Senior Member

Well, sometimes the inhouse finance offers a deal, like another 4k off if you use gm financial instead of yoru credit union. Can always refi later...
Old 02-04-2019, 08:18 PM
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member

ya just an innocent fib like hey what's wrong with the a/c on your trade, oh it's just the controller, $1200 later I had a working a/c and it wasn't the damn controller.

I'm not defending or claiming dealerships don't lie, or play games, or try to manipulate, all I'm saying is let's be fair and acknowledge both sides do it, sometimes not on defense but on offense, come on bro

Ironically you essentially have provided a good outline for helping him in negotiations, but there are candid ways to approach all your "fibs".

For instance when they ask about a trade with that beautiful F350 Lariat you pulled up in an honest approach would be "I'm going to sell private party but here's the keys if you want to make an offer..."

Boom now they're competing for your trade while you're negotiating on the new truck. Same scenario with the financing, get preapproved before you shop and make them compete with that rate.

I have actually done that, and it works and to be honest I every day of the week would prefer to trade into a dealer then deal with any public or friend and even ok with a little less from dealer to avoid the headaches. Only thing is on trucks, they sell so quick and dealers want them, and you have to be sharp when you have something people want. The used market for trucks is strong here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the car sales business changing?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: