Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Is the car sales business changing?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Is the car sales business changing?

 
Old 02-07-2019, 07:14 PM
  #121  
919cw313
CF Senior Member
 
919cw313's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,308
Thanked 303 Times in 266 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by TulsaVette View Post
This. I have purchased a lot of cars over the years and this is the best way to go now. Do your research, tell the dealer what you will give them for theirs and what you want for yours. Be realistic in both numbers, be prepared to walk away. Done.
It really is that easy. The only way to buy cars IMO, with few exceptions.
919cw313 is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 08:00 PM
  #122  
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FourPennyDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Add 36k UD posts :-) Hills of N.Ga
Posts: 15,939
Thanked 62 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Ok dumb question but did you tell us what truck you were trying to buy? I don't remember it being posted. What exactly are you looking for? And are you willing to travel?
FourPennyDoug is online now  
Old 02-07-2019, 09:39 PM
  #123  
GotCorvette?
CF Senior Member
 
GotCorvette?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: northern california
Posts: 22,154
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TulsaVette View Post
This. I have purchased a lot of cars over the years and this is the best way to go now. Do your research, tell the dealer what you will give them for theirs and what you want for yours. Be realistic in both numbers, be prepared to walk away. Done.
So far the OP has the walking away part down, so there is that.
GotCorvette? is online now  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:31 PM
  #124  
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tonylmiller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 4,038
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post
Ok dumb question but did you tell us what truck you were trying to buy? I don't remember it being posted. What exactly are you looking for? And are you willing to travel?
Willing to travel, yes.
I'm looking for a crew cab that can tow at least 8,000 pounds.
Other than that, not too picky.
Tonylmiller is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:36 PM
  #125  
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tonylmiller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 4,038
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Here is an example. In the past as soon as I start to walk away from a deal, the salesman will instantly drop the price $1,000. I am getting none of that now. The price appears to be take it or leave it. I mean the very first price they give me. It just seems to be a big change from the way they used to do business. Wondering if other people are noticing the same thing. I know we are in the internet age, and some things are different. Although I have done some shopping on the internet, I have visited several dealers because I have a truck to trade in.
Tonylmiller is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:08 PM
  #126  
xwing
CF Senior Member
 
xwing's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago Suburbs IL
Posts: 15,920
Thanked 70 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
Not always.

When I got a Ford Fusion Energi for the wife a couple of years ago, I decided to lease it because EV technology is changing very rapidly and I didn't want to be stuck with outdated technology that I couldn't sell. Leasing it guarantees that I can just walk away from it with zero hassles and less risk.
Leasing it also guarantees that after 2-3 years you will have paid all that money and have nothing to show for it; you'll have to go buy a new car. I like to keep a car 12-15 years and get some real value out of it.
xwing is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 PM
  #127  
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!
 
dvarapala's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 29,856
Thanked 65 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by xwing View Post
Leasing it also guarantees that after 2-3 years you will have paid all that money and have nothing to show for it; you'll have to go buy a new car.
1) I'm a CFOT baller - I can afford it.
2) After 3 years I want a new car - an all-electric with better range than the available offerings 2 years ago when wifie's Pilot was totalled by some dipshit in an F150 and we were forced to get a new car in a rush.

If the range on the new models next year is good enough we may buy the next one; if not it'll be another lease.
dvarapala is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:55 PM
  #128  
snide
CF Senior Member
 
snide's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make him think. - snide The problem with the gene
Posts: 84,155
Thanked 149 Times in 60 Posts
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11
Default

Originally Posted by mikeco View Post
Had a totally different experience the other day when we bought my wife a new Jeep Cherokee Limited. Small dealer in town. I dealt with the owner & his son no BS. Son looked at wife's trade and then came back with an offer. 3700 off sticker and 2K more for her trade then I expected.

We had them throw in a few extras she wanted at n/c & I wrote them a check. Son spent 40 minutes going over everything in it explaining how things worked. Set her phone & Nav up for her and we left. I may go back this weekend & look at a Rubicon. This is how you make and keep customers!
What is the name of the dealer? I'm thinking about getting a Wrangler...
snide is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:43 AM
  #129  
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member
 
leadfoot4's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 57,964
Thanked 403 Times in 372 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by xwing View Post
Leasing it also guarantees that after 2-3 years you will have paid all that money and have nothing to show for it; you'll have to go buy a new car. I like to keep a car 12-15 years and get some real value out of it.
leadfoot4 is online now  
Old 02-15-2019, 11:55 AM
  #130  
xwing
CF Senior Member
 
xwing's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago Suburbs IL
Posts: 15,920
Thanked 70 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
1) I'm a CFOT baller - I can afford it.
2) After 3 years I want a new car - an all-electric with better range than the available offerings 2 years ago when wifie's Pilot was totalled by some dipshit in an F150 and we were forced to get a new car in a rush.

If the range on the new models next year is good enough we may buy the next one; if not it'll be another lease.
That's cool. If you can afford it, and it works for you, Just saying that you're paying a lot more instead of buying the cars for cash and keeping them for a little while.

Last edited by xwing; 02-15-2019 at 11:55 AM.
xwing is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 01:44 PM
  #131  
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!
 
dvarapala's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 29,856
Thanked 65 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by xwing View Post
That's cool. If you can afford it, and it works for you, Just saying that you're paying a lot more instead of buying the cars for cash and keeping them for a little while.
It's worth it to me to ditch a Ford before the problems start.
dvarapala is online now  
Old 02-15-2019, 02:34 PM
  #132  
GotCorvette?
CF Senior Member
 
GotCorvette?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: northern california
Posts: 22,154
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by xwing View Post
That's cool. If you can afford it, and it works for you, Just saying that you're paying a lot more instead of buying the cars for cash and keeping them for a little while.
And at the end of my three year lease I can also buy the car for less than half the original purchase price. And I'll be buying a car I know the exact history of. Or I can walk away from it without the hassle of selling it or having some dealer lowball me by thousands of dollars for a trade-in price. The fact is, in most cases the lease payments about equal the depreciation over the term of the lease. I've also sold enough cars and taken enough trades to know that unless someone makes a hefty down payment they will be at least slightly upside down on their car after 2-3 years of making payments that were higher than a lease payment would have been, if they financed for five years.

Sure, paying cash is better if you want to drive a ten year old car. As long as you don't have any major repair issues after the warranty is gone.
GotCorvette? is online now  
Old 02-27-2019, 03:21 PM
  #133  
919cw313
CF Senior Member
 
919cw313's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,308
Thanked 303 Times in 266 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
I've talked to...
So, what did you buy?
919cw313 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 07:48 PM
  #134  
VNAMVET
CF Senior Member
 
VNAMVET's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: FL
Posts: 6,965
Thanked 98 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post


When you have a trade-in, ACTUALLY, the situation changes. What I mean is this...you don't care what the price of the new car is, you don't care what they'll offer you on your trade. The ONLY number you care about, is the "difference"....the amount you have to pull out of your pocket, to make the deal.

The new vehicle can be marked up $20,000 over sticker, but if they give you $20,000 more for your trade-in, then it's a wash. Same if they discount the new vehicle $20,000 and allow you $20,000 less for your trade in. The difference is still the same, and THAT'S the number that's important.

Totally agree. Case in point...I ordered a 2019, 6.4L Scat Pack Challenger. With 5 added groups, and frieght, the total cost of the car came to $49,860. I gave them my 2017 C7 A8 Z-51 that had 10,300 miles and, I had to pay a difference of $380.
VNAMVET is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 07:55 PM
  #135  
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tonylmiller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 4,038
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 919cw313 View Post
So, what did you buy?
Thinking seriously about buying a house now, so I'm holding on to my cash. If they had made me an acceptable offer, I would have taken it at the time.
Tonylmiller is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 08:33 PM
  #136  
919cw313
CF Senior Member
 
919cw313's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,308
Thanked 303 Times in 266 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
Thinking seriously about buying a house now...
I already feel sorry for those poor sellers.
919cw313 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 05:12 PM
  #137  
Millenium Vette
CF Senior Member
 
Millenium Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: At the end of the cul-de-sac with 3 sugarless bars
Posts: 2,562
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
Here is an example. In the past as soon as I start to walk away from a deal, the salesman will instantly drop the price $1,000. I am getting none of that now. The price appears to be take it or leave it. I mean the very first price they give me. It just seems to be a big change from the way they used to do business. Wondering if other people are noticing the same thing. I know we are in the internet age, and some things are different. Although I have done some shopping on the internet, I have visited several dealers because I have a truck to trade in.
The car manufacturers prefer to call it "one price shopping" and have been working towards it for 30 years. They are finally succeeding. If the dealer isn't countering there is no money left in the deal to give away.
Millenium Vette is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 08:11 AM
  #138  
6spdC6
CF Senior Member
 
6spdC6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake in the "Peoples Republic" of upper NY state http://www.visitsacandaga.com/
Posts: 27,871
Thanked 89 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette View Post
The car manufacturers prefer to call it "one price shopping" and have been working towards it for 30 years. They are finally succeeding. If the dealer isn't countering there is no money left in the deal to give away.
At that point if you have a trade in that is where there is negotiating room!

A clean deal it probably will be a take it or leave it from the dealership!
6spdC6 is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 12:07 PM
  #139  
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member
 
leadfoot4's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 57,964
Thanked 403 Times in 372 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post
At that point if you have a trade in that is where there is negotiating room!

A clean deal it probably will be a take it or leave it from the dealership!

leadfoot4 is online now  
Old 03-01-2019, 12:10 PM
  #140  
LarsAtTheBeach
CF Senior Member
 
LarsAtTheBeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Posts: 44,931
Thanked 29 Times in 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Default

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette View Post
The car manufacturers prefer to call it "one price shopping" and have been working towards it for 30 years. They are finally succeeding. If the dealer isn't countering there is no money left in the deal to give away.
great.
Then they should reduce the price to the bottom line...and it should include a fair dealership markup...and a fee for a clerk (not salesman) to handle the transaction.
LarsAtTheBeach is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the car sales business changing?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: