Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Is the car sales business changing?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Is the car sales business changing?

Old 02-07-2019, 07:14 PM
919cw313
CF Senior Member

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TulsaVette View Post
This. I have purchased a lot of cars over the years and this is the best way to go now. Do your research, tell the dealer what you will give them for theirs and what you want for yours. Be realistic in both numbers, be prepared to walk away. Done.
It really is that easy. The only way to buy cars IMO, with few exceptions.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:00 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok dumb question but did you tell us what truck you were trying to buy? I don't remember it being posted. What exactly are you looking for? And are you willing to travel?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:39 PM
GotCorvette?
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TulsaVette View Post
This. I have purchased a lot of cars over the years and this is the best way to go now. Do your research, tell the dealer what you will give them for theirs and what you want for yours. Be realistic in both numbers, be prepared to walk away. Done.
So far the OP has the walking away part down, so there is that.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:31 PM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post
Ok dumb question but did you tell us what truck you were trying to buy? I don't remember it being posted. What exactly are you looking for? And are you willing to travel?
Willing to travel, yes.
I'm looking for a crew cab that can tow at least 8,000 pounds.
Other than that, not too picky.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:36 PM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Here is an example. In the past as soon as I start to walk away from a deal, the salesman will instantly drop the price $1,000. I am getting none of that now. The price appears to be take it or leave it. I mean the very first price they give me. It just seems to be a big change from the way they used to do business. Wondering if other people are noticing the same thing. I know we are in the internet age, and some things are different. Although I have done some shopping on the internet, I have visited several dealers because I have a truck to trade in.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:08 PM
xwing
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
Not always.

When I got a Ford Fusion Energi for the wife a couple of years ago, I decided to lease it because EV technology is changing very rapidly and I didn't want to be stuck with outdated technology that I couldn't sell. Leasing it guarantees that I can just walk away from it with zero hassles and less risk.
Leasing it also guarantees that after 2-3 years you will have paid all that money and have nothing to show for it; you'll have to go buy a new car. I like to keep a car 12-15 years and get some real value out of it.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by xwing View Post
Leasing it also guarantees that after 2-3 years you will have paid all that money and have nothing to show for it; you'll have to go buy a new car.
1) I'm a CFOT baller - I can afford it.
2) After 3 years I want a new car - an all-electric with better range than the available offerings 2 years ago when wifie's Pilot was totalled by some dipshit in an F150 and we were forced to get a new car in a rush.

If the range on the new models next year is good enough we may buy the next one; if not it'll be another lease.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:55 PM
snide
CF Senior Member

Location: You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make him think. - snide The problem with the gene
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by mikeco View Post
Had a totally different experience the other day when we bought my wife a new Jeep Cherokee Limited. Small dealer in town. I dealt with the owner & his son no BS. Son looked at wife's trade and then came back with an offer. 3700 off sticker and 2K more for her trade then I expected.

We had them throw in a few extras she wanted at n/c & I wrote them a check. Son spent 40 minutes going over everything in it explaining how things worked. Set her phone & Nav up for her and we left. I may go back this weekend & look at a Rubicon. This is how you make and keep customers!
What is the name of the dealer? I'm thinking about getting a Wrangler...
Old 02-12-2019, 07:43 AM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Leasing it also guarantees that after 2-3 years you will have paid all that money and have nothing to show for it; you'll have to go buy a new car. I like to keep a car 12-15 years and get some real value out of it.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:55 AM
xwing
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
1) I'm a CFOT baller - I can afford it.
2) After 3 years I want a new car - an all-electric with better range than the available offerings 2 years ago when wifie's Pilot was totalled by some dipshit in an F150 and we were forced to get a new car in a rush.

If the range on the new models next year is good enough we may buy the next one; if not it'll be another lease.
That's cool. If you can afford it, and it works for you, Just saying that you're paying a lot more instead of buying the cars for cash and keeping them for a little while.

Last edited by xwing; 02-15-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:44 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

That's cool. If you can afford it, and it works for you, Just saying that you're paying a lot more instead of buying the cars for cash and keeping them for a little while.
It's worth it to me to ditch a Ford before the problems start.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:34 PM
GotCorvette?
CF Senior Member

And at the end of my three year lease I can also buy the car for less than half the original purchase price. And I'll be buying a car I know the exact history of. Or I can walk away from it without the hassle of selling it or having some dealer lowball me by thousands of dollars for a trade-in price. The fact is, in most cases the lease payments about equal the depreciation over the term of the lease. I've also sold enough cars and taken enough trades to know that unless someone makes a hefty down payment they will be at least slightly upside down on their car after 2-3 years of making payments that were higher than a lease payment would have been, if they financed for five years.

Sure, paying cash is better if you want to drive a ten year old car. As long as you don't have any major repair issues after the warranty is gone.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:21 PM
919cw313
CF Senior Member

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
I've talked to...
So, what did you buy?
Old 02-27-2019, 07:48 PM
VNAMVET
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

When you have a trade-in, ACTUALLY, the situation changes. What I mean is this...you don't care what the price of the new car is, you don't care what they'll offer you on your trade. The ONLY number you care about, is the "difference"....the amount you have to pull out of your pocket, to make the deal.

The new vehicle can be marked up $20,000 over sticker, but if they give you $20,000 more for your trade-in, then it's a wash. Same if they discount the new vehicle $20,000 and allow you $20,000 less for your trade in. The difference is still the same, and THAT'S the number that's important.

Totally agree. Case in point...I ordered a 2019, 6.4L Scat Pack Challenger. With 5 added groups, and frieght, the total cost of the car came to $49,860. I gave them my 2017 C7 A8 Z-51 that had 10,300 miles and, I had to pay a difference of $380.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:55 PM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 919cw313 View Post
So, what did you buy?
Thinking seriously about buying a house now, so I'm holding on to my cash. If they had made me an acceptable offer, I would have taken it at the time.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:33 PM
919cw313
CF Senior Member

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Thinking seriously about buying a house now...
I already feel sorry for those poor sellers.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:12 PM
Millenium Vette
CF Senior Member

Here is an example. In the past as soon as I start to walk away from a deal, the salesman will instantly drop the price $1,000. I am getting none of that now. The price appears to be take it or leave it. I mean the very first price they give me. It just seems to be a big change from the way they used to do business. Wondering if other people are noticing the same thing. I know we are in the internet age, and some things are different. Although I have done some shopping on the internet, I have visited several dealers because I have a truck to trade in.
The car manufacturers prefer to call it "one price shopping" and have been working towards it for 30 years. They are finally succeeding. If the dealer isn't countering there is no money left in the deal to give away.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:11 AM
6spdC6
CF Senior Member

Location: A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake in the "Peoples Republic" of upper NY state http://www.visitsacandaga.com/

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette View Post
The car manufacturers prefer to call it "one price shopping" and have been working towards it for 30 years. They are finally succeeding. If the dealer isn't countering there is no money left in the deal to give away.
At that point if you have a trade in that is where there is negotiating room!

A clean deal it probably will be a take it or leave it from the dealership!
Old 03-01-2019, 12:07 PM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post
At that point if you have a trade in that is where there is negotiating room!

A clean deal it probably will be a take it or leave it from the dealership!

Old 03-01-2019, 12:10 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette View Post
great.
Then they should reduce the price to the bottom line...and it should include a fair dealership markup...and a fee for a clerk (not salesman) to handle the transaction.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the car sales business changing?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: