Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Is the car sales business changing?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Is the car sales business changing?

Old 02-04-2019, 03:28 PM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Default Is the car sales business changing?

I've talked to 6 different car salesmen about mostly pickup trucks. New ones. So they make an offer and I make a counter offer. They don't take it. Standard car sales stuff.

The weird thing is, they never call back. And if I contact them again, they tell me that there is no room to negotiate. I'm talking about last year's model!

Are they just giving their best price up front these days? In the past, I assumed they always had a couple more thousand they could give after the first offer. Doesn't seem to be the case these days.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:31 PM
Swany00
CF Senior Member

they don't need your business or your offer was insulting
Old 02-04-2019, 03:35 PM
TorchRedRocket
CF Senior Member

You pretty much answered your own question. With the advent of the internet and more informed buyers than ever pitting dealerships against each other on pricing, I think more and more dealers are offering a more no-haggle sales approach with more competitive prices upfront on their website vs. having to sit in a showroom and waste your entire Saturday arguing with a sales manager.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:39 PM
flange
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

pick a model with the options you want. email several dealers asking for the exact model and look at their responses. also note, higher priced models have more room to negotiate. expensive options are really cheap to add in during the build
Old 02-04-2019, 03:46 PM
GotCorvette?
CF Senior Member

They get dozens if not hundreds of texts, Emails and calls every day if it's a big dealership. The salesman does not have the authority to discount a car without going to his manager. Any salesman giving you a discount online or over the phone is lying to get you to come to the lot, unless he is a manager. The best way to put yourself in the strongest possible position to negotiate a price is to go to the lot. This makes the management see you as a more serious customer than someone on the phone. It's called being a "live" customer.

I say all the above with the caveat that not all dealerships may operate this way, but I have family members and friends who have been in the car business for decades and I did it for a few years myself, and that's how it usually works.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:51 PM
SilverBullitt
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11

Try contacting the internet/fleet sales person. I've had much better luck dealing with them remotely, than dealing with the slimebuckets in-person at the store. In my experience, they've been pretty quick to get down to a near-invoice price on their unit. Then, the only thing remaining to negotiate at the store is the value of your trade-in, if you have one.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:51 PM
Ben Diss
D I S S T R B D
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Try again at the end of the month and see what happens.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:53 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Ben Diss View Post
sounds like my wife.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:57 PM
jd
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06, '15

It was the same way with my Colorado. I tried several dealers and used several discounts - they all came within $100 of each other...
Old 02-04-2019, 03:59 PM
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
I've talked to 6 different car salesmen about mostly pickup trucks. New ones. So they make an offer and I make a counter offer. They don't take it. Standard car sales stuff.

The weird thing is, they never call back. And if I contact them again, they tell me that there is no room to negotiate. I'm talking about last year's model!

Are they just giving their best price up front these days? In the past, I assumed they always had a couple more thousand they could give after the first offer. Doesn't seem to be the case these days.
It comes a point the buyer needs to understand, he don't know everything and the dealer has a right to keep the lights on. Pick ups, especially GMC and Ford, at least here, The dealers don't move that much and they know they don't have to. Around here Raptors are sold $10k and more over sticker. Dealerships have money makers, pick ups are one of them.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:59 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

They make an offer?
Old 02-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ben Diss View Post
I did! No difference.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:01 PM
Voytek
CF Senior Member

There’s a new car buying approach. You get the rebates after you sign the paperwork. Right Doug?
Old 02-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dave concrete View Post
It comes a point the buyer needs to understand, he don't know everything and the dealer has a right to keep the lights on. Pick ups, especially GMC and Ford, at least here, The dealers don't move that much and they know they don't have to. Around here Raptors are sold $10k and more over sticker. Dealerships have money makers, pick ups are one of them.
I'm talking about 2018 models. I thought they would be REALLY wanting to move them, but apparently not!
Old 02-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post
They make an offer?
Yep, they make an offer, then I make a counter. Is that unusual?

Last edited by Tonylmiller; 02-04-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:04 PM
GotCorvette?
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Voytek View Post
There’s a new car buying approach. You get the rebates after you sign the paperwork. Right Doug?
First you have to give them a perfect score on the survey.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:06 PM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by SilverBullitt View Post
Try contacting the internet/fleet sales person. I've had much better luck dealing with them remotely, than dealing with the slimebuckets in-person at the store. In my experience, they've been pretty quick to get down to a near-invoice price on their unit. Then, the only thing remaining to negotiate at the store is the value of your trade-in, if you have one.
I'm going to try this. I've been going down there in person.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:08 PM
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member

I'm talking about 2018 models. I thought they would be REALLY wanting to move them, but apparently not!
Not yet. Which model by the way? I bought my F-350 a year old on the 30th, and I fought for $10k off and got it. Now understand, a diesel Lariat has a lot of options so that is where they can play a little. Plus having a $60k truck on the lot for a year is expensive. If I didn't finance thru them no way I would have got it, but a 1.85% interest, They can have the loan. I would bet the farm what I paid is about what they were in the truck for.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:08 PM
Crashz06
CF Senior Member

Is all this taking place over the phone? They may think your just a tire kicker wasting their time. Go in person to see if you get different results.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:16 PM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Crashz06 View Post
Is all this taking place over the phone? They may think your just a tire kicker wasting their time. Go in person to see if you get different results.
I have a truck to trade, so I have been driving it down there so they can appraise it. I think I'll get the deal on the new truck first, and then possibly haggle over the trade-in value.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the car sales business changing?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: