Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Making a Trip to Hawaii

Old 02-07-2019, 10:18 AM
~STOLEN~
CF Senior Member

SKIP the road to hana and rent a motorcycle in MAUI and ride around the OPPOSITE side of the island , its half the time, more fun and less frustrating.

Once my wife and i completed the entire road to hana, we thought we were duped by our friends telling us it was the most amazing thing they ever did.....we were less than impressed and felt like crap from being stuck in the car all day (jeep)

however.....the one thing you must do is go to MAMA's Fish House!!!!!! its amazing and worth every penny, as well as MAUI brewing.

we stayed at the westin villas and loved it as well, along with that entire side of the island.

ps....if you rent snorkel equiptment or buy some to keep for the entire trip....go to maui divers supply, tell them your from INDIANA. 2-3 of the people that run that place are from INDY lol they could toss you a discount!!

Last edited by ~STOLEN~; 02-07-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:04 PM
TJay74
CF Senior Member

We have been to Maui and Oahu over the last 5 years.

Haleakala is beautiful, but as said it can be 75° at the bottom and by the time you drive the 32 miles up to the top of the 10k foot summit it will be in the 30°-40° range. Dress in layers and be prepared. We hiked about 1500' down into the volcano and went thru what seemed to be all 4 weather seasons along the way. Then came the fun or trying to hike back up to the top, some people can handle the altitude and others cant.

Road to Hana, was fun, but it is an all day drive. Leave early in the morning and bring food/drinks with you. There are tons of stops and waterfalls along the way. As the said the Seven sisters falls is at the end of the Hana road at the far East South East side of the island. We had a Mustang and was able to come the quick way back around, but if it has rained some of the roads are not passable in a small car. The other issue is lots of blind corners when you come back around the clockwise way from Hana. By that I mean you have to stop at the corner of the curve, honk your horn to see if someone else is there and then proceed. If you mess up and run off the road there is no guardrail and a nice 400'+ drop to the bottom in some areas.

Make sure to the hit the WW2 stuff on Oahu, but once that is done dont bother to stay around. Oahu is really commercialized and a tourist trap unless you are into shopping. The Diamondhead trail is neat, if you are in good shape you can be up and down in less than 2hrs and then on your way.

Lots to do all over both of those islands for sure.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:35 PM
jdsaengine
CF Senior Member

Yep, we took a Mustang to Hana, then kept on going around the island rather than return the way we came. Stopped by a little church where Charles Lindbergh was buried. The wife was not real happy with the roads. Wanted to know if I was trying to kill her.
nice little blind turn.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:09 PM
Evan70
CF Senior Member

Just got back from Maui, 2nd time going (previous was about 5 years ago). We did Saturday through the following Sunday (both times) and that was about right to me just for Maui. There's no way I'd try to squeeze in Maui, Oahu and Kuwaii all in 10 days.

We've done the road to Hana both times, and really enjoyed each each time. The first time we focused more on the road and getting to Kipahula (Seven Sacred Pools) and hiking up to Waimoku falls. It was a good thing we didn't stop a lot along the way as it was dark by the time we finished the coming back, and the Road to Hana is not something I'd recommend at night. The last time we went, we stopped at several of the sites along the road (Twin Falls, Garden of Eden Arboretum, etc) and had a great time. You could literally spend a whole day doing these kind of stops and not even getting to Hana. Also, on this trip, for the return, we continued past Kipahula and took the road around the south side of the island, which was much more rugged and wild feeling. We were in a Mustang convertible, and had no issues, just make sure it didn't rain within the last couple of days as there are sections on the south side of the island that are prone to flooding.

We also did 340 around the north side from Kapalua back to Kahului, and that was great as well. Probably more fun to drive as there wasn't nearly as much traffic as the road to Hana, BUT it is one lane for most of it, so you really have to watch out for oncoming traffic. There's several scenic spots to stop on that drive including the Nakalele Blowhole.

Another fun drive is up to Haleakala observatory, just make sure to bring a jacket and long pants as it gets cold up there. Not quite a full day excursion, but close, maybe combine with Iao valley park, which takes maybe an hour. Horse back riding is fun (did that 5 years ago), as is zip lining (did that last time with Kapalua Ziplines).

Someone mentioned whale watching, and that was a blast (we went specifically in whale season this time, first time was out of season). If you can manage during whale watching season, it's definitely worth it to take an excursion. Also, if you're there during whale season, stay somewhere with a good ocean view on the north west side (Kaanapali). We stayed at the Maui Kai condos both times and loved it.

If you like snorkeling, you're going to want to plan a couple of days for that as well. My advise is buy a full face snorkel mask and then rent fins when you get there. The full face masks are WAY better than the older style, we bought them this time and really enjoyed the upgrade. We did an excursion to Molokini the first time and did snuba there, but didn't think it was worth doing the last trip. I actually found that Honolua Bay has better snorkeling (as long as the water is not to dirty, we had one day there where a storm had come through the previous night and churned up the bottom making poor visibility). There's also some great road side beaches with good snorkeling, last trip we stopped at Wahikuli Wayside Park north of Lahaina and had a great experience seeing probably 10 sea turtles that would let you swim right up to them.

Anyway, I found that both times, 8 nights was barely enough for Maui itself if you want to actually have time to relax and enjoy your vacation. My advice would be don't try and squeeze too much in, and that you can't go wrong with doing just Maui if you've never been before (have heard this from many people that have been to multiple islands).
Old 02-08-2019, 05:14 PM
KissArmy2001
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE=jdsaengine;1598835954]Yep, we took a Mustang to Hana, then kept on going around the island rather than return the way we came. Stopped by a little church where Charles Lindbergh was buried. The wife was not real happy with the roads. Wanted to know if I was trying to kill her.
nice little blind turn.
[/

QUOTE]

WE always get a Jeep. This last time out there we decided to drive all the way around and stop for a picnic etc. The road had washed out in an area similar to that just this side of the wind generating windmills. All of the cars (mustangs, fusions etc...) had to turn around.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:17 PM
KissArmy2001
CF Senior Member

Old 02-08-2019, 06:17 PM
Derrick Reynolds
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18

Originally Posted by tiojames View Post
I would check on the Fern Grotto if that is one of your must sees.
I was married in the Fern Grotto and repeated the ceremony the next year. We went back to visit a few years ago and it was fenced off and filled with dirt from a landslide. Closest you could get was about 200 yards.
The island is nothing like it was a few years ago. Traffic is terrible-they put pylons out on the main hwy.and switch them from lane to lane depending on the time of day.
Our last visit was 2 years ago and we are not going back.
I have been to Kauai twice, and tried to go to the Fern Grotto both times. One time it was closed. The other time it was just some rocks, with a Fern or two around. They had some story about a storm wiping out the majority of the Ferns. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't ever pay a dime to go back.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:10 PM
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by Evan70 View Post
We were in a Mustang convertible, and had no issues, just make sure it didn't rain within the last couple of days as there are sections on the south side of the island that are prone to flooding.
We took a Mustang convertible up Mauna Kea which was expressly forbidden by the rental car company and the signs on the "road" up t it.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:13 PM
vvv90
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z06PSI View Post
We took a Mustang convertible up Mauna Kea which was expressly forbidden by the rental car company and the signs on the "road" up t it.
Why? I took my Malibu rental there to the Macadamia nut farm. Can't imagine why it would be forbidden. Maybe I missed some off-road trails?
Old 02-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Nosferatu
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

Appreciate all the feed back. Sounds like maybe drop it to one or two islands and take it slower. Never tried the VRBO option before but I like the sound of that over a hotel. I'm going to do some homework.

How much time is recommended on each island to "do it right?" We usually are pretty quick on our other trips (in comparison for roughly 10 days we were able to do typically 3 major cities in Italy, Portual, Spain, Ireland). I do agree though I do like being able to sit back and be in one place for a couple days rather than living out of a suitcase. We did that with Banff. Parked our butt for 5 days for a change.

Kauai sounds like the one to do though. I'll read through this all later.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:44 PM
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by vvv90 View Post
Why? I took my Malibu rental there to the Macadamia nut farm. Can't imagine why it would be forbidden. Maybe I missed some off-road trails?
Did you go all the way to the top where the observatories are?
Old 02-08-2019, 09:18 PM
1968swbbigblock
CF Senior Member

To be honest a week at each would be my minimum
Not sure where your flying from but you’ll lose an easy day just on acclimation to the new time zone
Old 02-09-2019, 01:02 AM
vvv90
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z06PSI View Post
Did you go all the way to the top where the observatories are?
i remember seeing them up there. Went to the Maona Loa store to buy a bunch of goodies. Don’t remember needing to drive any further. Bottom line that’s bullshit about rental cars not being allowed. They’re full of **** dude.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:18 PM
PeterK
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by PKguitar View Post
I have been to Kauai twice, and tried to go to the Fern Grotto both times. One time it was closed. The other time it was just some rocks, with a Fern or two around. They had some story about a storm wiping out the majority of the Ferns. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't ever pay a dime to go back.
You didn't miss much. I went there when it was in its prime and there isn't much there to see but ferns and grotto. The only saving grace is that we took a canoe there and trip was far more enjoyable than the destination.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:15 PM
63 340HP
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Appreciate all the feed back. Sounds like maybe drop it to one or two islands and take it slower. Never tried the VRBO option before but I like the sound of that over a hotel. I'm going to do some homework.

How much time is recommended on each island to "do it right?" We usually are pretty quick on our other trips (in comparison for roughly 10 days we were able to do typically 3 major cities in Italy, Portual, Spain, Ireland). I do agree though I do like being able to sit back and be in one place for a couple days rather than living out of a suitcase. We did that with Banff. Parked our butt for 5 days for a change.

Kauai sounds like the one to do though. I'll read through this all later.
You read like a person who likes to get outside and hike, but has never been to Islands before.

If that is true, stick to three scheduled fully active day's on Oahu to see the history & culture, and then focus most of your first visit outside hiking Kauai or Maui (and hope it's not raining).

The difference between Kauai & Maui is most noticeable after dark, as Kauai has much less tourist oriented independent dining and night life compared to Maui (and both have less than Waikiki).

If you enjoy the first visit, you will be back on another trip to see what you missed with only three days on Oahu, and you can visit another island each time you return.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:48 AM
jdsaengine
CF Senior Member

We spent our only Hawaiian vacation in 2014 for our 40 wedding anniversary with 2 weeks on Maui. We would do a day in the Mustang driving somewhere and then a day just on the beach (Kaanapali ) . Took one day and flew over to Oahu to the Arizona, Missouri battleship, punch bowl. We figured to make the effort to get there from Indiana, 2 weeks was better than 1 week. I would love to go back and check out Kauai, but my wife hates flying and I can't get her on a plane now unless under full anesthesia so we are stuck in the 48 from now on.

view from our room at the Westin

Last edited by jdsaengine; 02-10-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Olustee bus
CF Senior Member

I would wait until Occasional Cortex gets her rapid railroad to Hawaii built.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by Olustee bus View Post
Old 02-11-2019, 11:58 PM
vvv90
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Olustee bus View Post
Old 02-24-2019, 05:12 AM
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Renting a car in Maui, if it's busy, is indistinguishable from the inner circles of hell. And that's Hertz Gold for an Escalade ESV that's supposed be like OJ can just jump in and flee in it.

Next time I go I'm going to Uber from the airport to Klahani and rent over on that side. Has anyone tried that? I've wasted literal hours multiple times in Maui over rental cars.
we were in Maui in October of 2018 for a week. We used a shuttle to get to the 4 Seasons and rented from avis at the hotel. It was easy —avis brought the car to the hotel We just rented a corolla it was fine for driving around. Didn’t do the road to Hanna this trip. It has been a decade since we were last to Maui. It was very nice but traffic at times was congested much more then I had remembered.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Making a Trip to Hawaii

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: