Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

San Bernardino, 5 day visit

 
Old 02-05-2019, 07:32 PM
  #1  
vvv90
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
vvv90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: Chicagoland IL
Posts: 11,015
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default San Bernardino, 5 day visit

I'm going to be there for work, Rialto actually, does anyone have some tips on some must-eat restaurants? Might have a whole day to myself and thinking about taking a day trip to Joshua Tree.
vvv90 is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 07:42 PM
  #2  
CA-Legal-Vette
CF Senior Member
 
CA-Legal-Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Scottsdale Arizona
Posts: 8,509
Thanked 139 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Joshua Tree is well worth your time. Lots of great things to see and do within a reasonable drive, but Iím not sure thereís too much right there.
CA-Legal-Vette is online now  
Old 02-05-2019, 08:19 PM
  #3  
RandolphB
CF Senior Member
 
RandolphB's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Location: Oviedo
Posts: 12,351
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Planes of Fame and Yanks Air Museum in Chino. 10 minutes from Rialto. Go into LA one night for a huge amount of place to eat, or Palm Springs. You are midway between them. But Rialto is next to Fontana and they are the Meth Capitol of the world. Don't **** anybody off, seems like all of them are mexican gangbangers there....
RandolphB is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 08:52 PM
  #4  
GotCorvette?
CF Senior Member
 
GotCorvette?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: northern california
Posts: 22,046
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Default

If your work is sending you to Rialto, quit your job.
GotCorvette? is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 08:54 PM
  #5  
vvv90
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
vvv90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: Chicagoland IL
Posts: 11,015
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GotCorvette? View Post
If your work is sending you to Rialto, quit your job.
Oh I have a thread about that too.
vvv90 is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 08:56 PM
  #6  
Nox
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Nox's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: Hollywood CA
Posts: 20,331
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

There is absolutely nothing to see in Rialto. I’m not even sure why you’d go there, but basically, there already no sights or landmarks and it gets windy as hell. Joshua Tree is about an hour and a half east. During the government shutdown, Joshua Tree had some serious issues with vandalism, and trash and they might still be recovering from that. LA/Hollywood is about an hour and a half west if you ever wanted to visit. Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead if you want to take a drive into the snow, is about an hour and a half northeast. There are a number of decent places to eat in LA. But overall, the inland empire is a lot of “nothing to see here, move along.”
Nox is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 08:58 PM
  #7  
Nox
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Nox's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: Hollywood CA
Posts: 20,331
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RandolphB View Post
Planes of Fame and Yanks Air Museum in Chino. 10 minutes from Rialto. Go into LA one night for a huge amount of place to eat, or Palm Springs. You are midway between them. But Rialto is next to Fontana and they are the Meth Capitol of the world. Don't **** anybody off, seems like all of them are mexican gangbangers there....
Chino is a bit more than 10 minutes from Rialto. More like forty-five minutes to an hour depending on the time of day.
Nox is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 09:01 PM
  #8  
KarlK
CF Senior Member
 
KarlK's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: No, I'm not related to PeterK
Posts: 43,843
Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GotCorvette? View Post
If your work is sending you to Rialto, quit your job.
KarlK is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 09:45 PM
  #9  
RandolphB
CF Senior Member
 
RandolphB's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Location: Oviedo
Posts: 12,351
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nox View Post


Chino is a bit more than 10 minutes from Rialto. More like forty-five minutes to an hour depending on the time of day.

Then traffic sucks even more than when I moved out of California!
RandolphB is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 09:54 PM
  #10  
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!
 
dvarapala's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 28,664
Thanked 65 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GotCorvette? View Post
If your work is sending you to Rialto, quit your job.


To the OP: **** the Inland Empire.
Come out to the coast, have a few laughs.
I would recommend that you take Metrolink, though, instead of trying to drive on the freeway. Your visit will be a lot less stressful that way, and you can get drunk at the restaurant.
dvarapala is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 09:47 AM
  #11  
vvv90
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
vvv90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: Chicagoland IL
Posts: 11,015
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nox View Post
Iím not even sure why youíd go there,
I'm not sure why you can't read. I say why in the very first sentence of my post. You think I'd go there for vacation? Seriously all I care about is some restaurant recommendations.

vvv90 is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 09:50 AM
  #12  
gs568
CF Senior Member
 
gs568's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: 24 Willie Mays Plaza S.F. California
Posts: 43,958
Thanked 35 Times in 20 Posts
Default

For some reason, people like In N Out. You could also head to Chavez Ravine, home of the we can't win the World Series dodgers.
gs568 is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 09:52 AM
  #13  
vvv90
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
vvv90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: Chicagoland IL
Posts: 11,015
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gs568 View Post
For some reason, people like In N Out. You could also head to Chavez Ravine, home of the we can't win the World Series dodgers.
First time I had In N Out was in Vegas with some friends from the coast. They ordered a bunch of stuff and brought it back to the hotel. I remember it being very good.

Last year, outside SFO I took my wife to In N Out and it sucked. Maybe I just don't know how to order. They seem to pride themselves on some stupid ******* secret menu.

I may just pack my Cubs 2016 NLCS Champions T-Shirt and WS Champions hat and head on over there. Thanks for the idea.
vvv90 is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 10:07 AM
  #14  
gs568
CF Senior Member
 
gs568's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: 24 Willie Mays Plaza S.F. California
Posts: 43,958
Thanked 35 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vvv90 View Post
First time I had In N Out was in Vegas with some friends from the coast. They ordered a bunch of stuff and brought it back to the hotel. I remember it being very good.

Last year, outside SFO I took my wife to In N Out and it sucked. Maybe I just don't know how to order. They seem to pride themselves on some stupid ******* secret menu.

I may just pack my Cubs 2016 NLCS Champions T-Shirt and WS Champions hat and head on over there. Thanks for the idea.
Just watch your back, their fans can be pretty petty. As for In N Out, something to do with "animal" style.
gs568 is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 11:07 AM
  #15  
Nox
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Nox's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: Hollywood CA
Posts: 20,331
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vvv90 View Post
I'm not sure why you can't read. I say why in the very first sentence of my post. You think I'd go there for vacation? Seriously all I care about is some restaurant recommendations.
Sure I can. Rialto isn't the Silicon Valley. Any industry there is pretty limited . Sorry you have such a crappy job.
Nox is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 11:09 AM
  #16  
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!
 
dvarapala's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 28,664
Thanked 65 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nox View Post
Sure I can. Rialto isn't the Silicon Valley. Any industry there is pretty limited . Sorry you have such a crappy job.
Why do you think he's willing to take a pay cut to move to Hawaii?

dvarapala is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 11:42 AM
  #17  
Nox
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Nox's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: Hollywood CA
Posts: 20,331
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vvv90 View Post
Seriously all I care about is some restaurant recommendations.
Taco Joeís off Riverside and the 10 is about as fancy as Rialto gets (sarcasm alert). Itís bad when the best food in town are the hot dogs at the 7-11 on Foothill Blvd and Cactus Ave.
Nox is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 01:33 PM
  #18  
vvv90
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
vvv90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: Chicagoland IL
Posts: 11,015
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nox View Post
Sure I can. Rialto isn't the Silicon Valley. Any industry there is pretty limited . Sorry you have such a crappy job.
Our manufacturing sites are in places where real estate is cheap. Thankfully it's rare I have to visit them but at least it will be warm. I'm thinking of visiting my friend Trevor and Wade near the Salton Sea. They live in Desert Shores. I heard that's a little dangerous?

Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
Why do you think he's willing to take a pay cut to move to Hawaii?
For the weather, not the work. Even with the cut and my wife quitting her job we'd be able to afford. Just not happy about it.

Originally Posted by Nox View Post

Taco Joeís off Riverside and the 10 is about as fancy as Rialto gets (sarcasm alert). Itís bad when the best food in town are the hot dogs at the 7-11 on Foothill Blvd and Cactus Ave.
I don't have to eat in Rialto, what about other places, you know, like the place I asked about in my thread title?
vvv90 is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 01:51 PM
  #19  
Nox
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Nox's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: Hollywood CA
Posts: 20,331
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vvv90 View Post
Our manufacturing sites are in places where real estate is cheap. Thankfully it's rare I have to visit them but at least it will be warm. I'm thinking of visiting my friend Trevor and Wade near the Salton Sea. They live in Desert Shores. I heard that's a little dangerous?

I don't have to eat in Rialto, what about other places, you know, like the place I asked about in my thread title?
Iím not sure what you know about the Inland Empire, Rialto, Colton, Fontana, San Bernardino, Muscoy, et al, but there ainít no other places to speak of that will get you much better.

Then you you mention one place Desert Shores. Salton Sea is a cess pool.

For some really decent dining youíll probably have to head to LA.
Nox is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 01:53 PM
  #20  
MidLifeinMI
CF Senior Member
 
MidLifeinMI's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2002
Location: MidLifeinTN just doesn't have the same ring to it
Posts: 4,428
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Had to spend 4 days in San Bern for work back in January; ate at a place called BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse that was fairly good. Also found a fast-casual place over in Redlands called California Fish Grill that was good, too. I drove through downtown SB, and really didn't find any place that made me want to stop.
MidLifeinMI is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: San Bernardino, 5 day visit


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: