Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Electric Cars Hate Winter

Old 02-09-2019, 09:41 AM
Platoface
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
So true.

Seems most of those who dislike EVs are either super old luddites, or have some sort of political axe to grind........or both.

It's entertaining. Kinda dumb sometimes, but mildly entertaining.
it is entertaining knowing most these ev peeps think their power comes from fairy dust. Just plug it in and itís magic.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:28 AM
USe-car
CF Senior Member

Old 02-09-2019, 11:19 AM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
We are talking about BEV's where 100% of available energy is provided by the battery, not hybrids which gets some energy from a battery but most from an ICE.

Now drive that Bolt at 75 MPH on the Interstate with 20 degrees ambient and the car's heater set at 74 degrees. Instead of 238 miles of range, now you are around 140 miles of range. You are going to spend a hell of a lot more time sitting at a fast charger while slow charging your BEV than will a guy with his ICE finding a gas station and then filling his gas tank to 100% capacity, not 80% capacity like with the Bolt(to prevent harming the battery).

Anyone that states that an ICE vehicle driving under those same identical conditions will see that kind of loss in it's gas mileage is a liar. An ICE vehicle will not see a 41% loss in gas mileage.

It takes no longer to put gasoline in an ICE vehicle at 20 degrees than at 70 degrees. Unlike a BEV which doesn't like taking a fast charge when it's freezing outside.
And that's why, at least in my opinion, EVs are good for retirees that live in warm climates. Although I'm now retired, I still live in the NE "snow belt", and my former driving schedule is still very much in my memory, so when I hear some "green weenie" touting the benefits of EVs, I can't help but recall my former driving schedule, one that is still in place for many of the people that live/work in my area.

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500 View Post
there just fancy electric golf carts
I agree, and I've been saying that for a long time

Originally Posted by Platoface View Post
it is entertaining knowing most these EV peeps think their power comes from fairy dust. Just plug it in and itís magic.
Crazy, isn't it?? What's downright SCARY is that these clowns are in line to someday rule the country..... and if we live long enough, they'll be in a position to ram this s**t down our throats!!
Old 02-09-2019, 11:23 AM
USe-car
CF Senior Member

Volt was 10X a better idea than a BEV, but people didn't want the Volt either. That is why GM is dumping the Volt.

At ;least with the Volt, it was a great little commuter car around town, running just on it's battery, but had an ICE for longer trips. but when you figured in the higher initial cost to buy a Volt, then an ICE vehicle was overall a better choice.
Yes, the Volt was abetter idea. I owned two of them. But, the Volt just didn't have enough range. As EV evolved, more range always got better, and the Volt just didn't have it.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:31 AM
USe-car
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Golf carts, glorified golf carts, that's all they are.....
You know, in the middle of the 1900's, there were electric streetcars and steam railroad locomotives. Then, General Motors convinced America that diesel locomotives and diesel buses were more efficient and more futuristic. It didn't hurt that one of GM's divisions manufactured diesel engines (Detroit Diesel), and another division manufactured locomotives, (Electromotive Division or EMD), and yet another division manufactured buses (GM Coach). The rest is history.
Now, GM along with everyone else, wants to move the buying public into Electric vehicles. What will happen in 20 years?
Old 02-09-2019, 03:42 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by themonk View Post
I will be the first one to admit that EVs are good, just not practical atm (not *** to mouth pervs, at the moment), give them time when the technology have evolved more and they will be practical.
They are practical now for commuting and for running errands around town.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 AM
ThePirate
CF Senior Member

Volt was 10X a better idea than a BEV, but people didn't want the Volt either. That is why GM is dumping the Volt.

At ;least with the Volt, it was a great little commuter car around town, running just on it's battery, but had an ICE for longer trips. but when you figured in the higher initial cost to buy a Volt, then an ICE vehicle was overall a better choice.

For some buyers price is unimportant. It's all about having the newest and the greatest in technology. If your concern is about paying for the experience you should go back to riding a horse (that never has to stop at a gas station).
Old 02-11-2019, 10:50 AM
ThePirate
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
And that's why, at least in my opinion, EVs are good for retirees that live in warm climates. Although I'm now retired, I still live in the NE "snow belt", and my former driving schedule is still very much in my memory, so when I hear some "green weenie" touting the benefits of EVs, I can't help but recall my former driving schedule, one that is still in place for many of the people that live/work in my area.

I agree, and I've been saying that for a long time

Crazy, isn't it?? What's downright SCARY is that these clowns are in line to someday rule the country..... and if we live long enough, they'll be in a position to ram this s**t down our throats!!

Kind of like you do about your opinions. I Still can't understand people who think anyone who thinks differently than they do are stupid, a jerk, or uninformed. Your parochial view of EV's is not everyone's view, but of course, your opinion is correct and their's is ****. You don't want what others do, and they don't want what you want. Narrowmindedness is toxic. And as I often end these discussions, it's my money, not yours. Why should you even have an opinion about my purchases?

Last edited by ThePirate; 02-11-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.Build the WALL!
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post

As long as it's not raining........cuz they'll short out.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:07 PM
BLUE1972
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by USe-car View Post
You know, in the middle of the 1900's, there were electric streetcars and steam railroad locomotives. Then, General Motors convinced America that diesel locomotives and diesel buses were more efficient and more futuristic. It didn't hurt that one of GM's divisions manufactured diesel engines (Detroit Diesel), and another division manufactured locomotives, (Electromotive Division or EMD), and yet another division manufactured buses (GM Coach). The rest is history.
Now, GM along with everyone else, wants to move the buying public into Electric vehicles. What will happen in 20 years?
Not really true....

Actually Diesel engines replaced the steam engine due to the high cost of maintaining a steam engine and the manpower required to operate & feed the steam engine.

The Pennsylvania RR tried to go Electric engines as much as they could ( as did many others) . The problem was a lot of the railroad's areas were too rural to provide the Electricity needed to operate the engines. As always cost vs everything else won.

Trolley cars had the same issue - too expensive to maintain the overhead Wire and lack of power. The other issue was the expanding population which moved from area to area and thus as routs changed the workforce to move the wires and construct the new routes was prohibitive. Also if a trolley broke down the line was trapped behind the trolley.

Also the public did not want the overhead wires which would often fall down in high winds when hit by debris and cause fires and deaths, and look ugly…

I went to a meeting a few years back when the Long Island RR wanted to expand the Electric trains out to Montauk from Babylon. The people did not want a Third Rail as it may kill the local wildlife. These are the same people who were complaining about the Diesel trains 6 weeks earlier. I made a statement : to one " educated person" - since Long Island is mostly flat and sales won't work you have to choose diesel or electric. That is todays technology.... the look was priceless..

Electric cars as well as other fuels will be here in the future.

When my friend realized his electric car added 7 hours for his trip from FL to NY - he is not so hot on his electric car. His wife wants it gone...

Last edited by BLUE1972; 02-11-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:29 PM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThePirate View Post

Kind of like you do about your opinions. I Still can't understand people who think anyone who thinks differently than they do are stupid, a jerk, or uninformed. Your parochial view of EV's is not everyone's view, but of course, your opinion is correct and their's is ****. You don't want what others do, and they don't want what you want. Narrowmindedness is toxic. And as I often end these discussions, it's my money, not yours. Why should you even have an opinion about my purchases?

Last time I took notice, this is still America, therefore I have the right to my own opinion, as well as the right to express it. Don't agree with me, fine, that's YOUR right, too....
Old 02-11-2019, 03:39 PM
ptindall
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThePirate View Post
I Still can't understand people who think anyone who thinks differently than they do are stupid, a jerk, or uninformed.
Yes, that is the reaction EV people have to those who don't like them, always calling them Luddites and assuming they are uninformed, but often times its the EV person who is uninformed. Like when you insisted your car didn't have a cooling system even after I provided links showing you it did.

Last edited by ptindall; 02-11-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:54 PM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
Yes, that is the reaction EV people have to those who don't them, always calling them Luddites and assuming they are uninformed, but often times its the EV person who is uninformed. Like when you insisted your car didn't have a cooling system even after I provided links showing you it did.

And for what it's worth, I didn't call anybody out PERSONALLY....simply stated my opinion. There IS a difference!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:03 PM
ThePirate
CF Senior Member

Yes, that is the reaction EV people have to those who don't like them, always calling them Luddites and assuming they are uninformed, but often times its the EV person who is uninformed. Like when you insisted your car didn't have a cooling system even after I provided links showing you it did.
I never say someone is uninformed but I have said that everyone can have their own opinion about EV's. Lumping all "EV" people into one think alike group is an invalid way of understanding them. While I do not care what your opinion is, I do care that you do not dismiss something for everyone just because you see no value in it. And once again, I give up regarding the cooling system, but in my opinion the Tesla cooling system does not fit the normal description of an automobile cooling system. YMMV. Glad you have a good memory; like UD's.

Last edited by ThePirate; 02-11-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 PM
scottycards
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Except that EVs and hybrids also have a 12V car battery they need in order to start, so..... same thing.
Well, I learned something today. I guess the Prius starter doesn't work off the 12V car battery like I thought it did. Not sure if this is the case for other hybrid cars, but thought you might find it interesting, as I did.

How does a Prius starter work?

The Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) is not cranked by the 12V battery like a typical automobile. Instead, the engine computer uses power from the ďtractionĒ battery (approx 250V worth of NiMH or Li-Ion cells) to spin motor-generators MG1 and/or MG2 to get things moving.

Prius starting from a standstill: the engine computer sends 500v 3 phase power to MG1 to get it moving in the forward direction. This motion goes through the Power Split Device and make the ICE turn in the forward direction. After the oil pressure is up, the engine computer enables spark and gas to just two cylinders, then to all four.

Prius starting after having been coasting: The ICE is motionless but the Power Split Device turns MG1 in reverse. It is freewheeling. Then engine computer sends power it MG1 to get it to slow or to turn in the forward direction. The Power Split Device make the ICE move in the forward direction and it starts the engine as described above.

Prius starting while in reverse (such as backing out of garage/driveway): MG2 makes the car go in reverse. This motor-generator is twice the size of MG1 and is geared directly to the differential. MG1 is set spinning fast enough to counter MG2ís reverse rotation, and the Power Split Device makes the ICE turn in the forward direction.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:29 PM
calwldlife
CF Senior Member

the only problem i have with evs is the idea they will save the planet.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:59 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by calwldlife View Post
the only problem i have with evs is the idea they will save the planet.
OK, then how about just saving you money?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:02 PM
jd
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06, '15

Black Wheels
Old 02-11-2019, 10:10 PM
themonk
CF Senior Member

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
and how much for that privilege? So you're going to buy an EV just for commuting and running errands when you can buy an ICE and do that plus more and a traction of the price?

Last edited by themonk; 02-11-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:17 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by themonk View Post
and how much for that privilege? So you're going to buy an EV just for commuting and running errands when you can buy an ICE and do that plus more and a traction of the price?
We all have our automotive hobbies. Just how practical is your little collection of vehicles? How much are you paying for the privilege of having more vehicles than you can reasonably drive?

Not everything is a logical business decision - sometimes we just buy the vehicles that we enjoy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Cars Hate Winter

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: