Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Electric Cars Hate Winter

Old 02-07-2019, 09:29 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.Build the WALL!
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Electric Cars Hate Winter

http://fortune.com/2019/02/07/electr...atteries-cold/

Electric Cars Really Do Hate the Winter, Says AAA Study

Old 02-07-2019, 09:32 AM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

41% of their range is lost with the heater on in cold weather. Who isnt excited for ICE cars to be eliminated?!
Old 02-07-2019, 09:42 AM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Golf carts, glorified golf carts, that's all they are.....
Old 02-07-2019, 10:04 AM
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,294 Times in 935 Posts

[color=left=#282f2f]"As a result, electric cars cost more to operate in the cold than in moderate temperatures. AAA calculates that running the heater in the cold adds about 2.5 cents per mile in their test sample of electric cars.[/color]

[color=left=#282f2f]Despite this, the average energy costs of an electric car are still less than half those of gasoline-powered cars, the association estimates — although the precise amount depends on local electricity and gasoline costs."

How about adding another 2.5 to 3 cents per mile for highway maintenance. Then, instead of figuring the EV charging cost at 12 cents per kilowatt hour, at home, figure in 26 to 35 cents per kilowatt hour when using a fast charger when you can't charge your EV at home.

Then, figure what it costs you in time wasting a hour to charge your EV away from home, vs taking 5 minutes to fill up your ICE at a gas station, that is really easy to find, everywhere, not just at a few locations along the Interstate, like with EV fast chargers.[/color]
Old 02-07-2019, 12:00 PM
AWOL
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
[color=left=#282f2f]"[/color]
[color=left=#282f2f]Then, figure what it costs you in time wasting a hour to charge your EV away from home, vs taking 5 minutes to fill up your ICE at a gas station, that is really easy to find, everywhere, not just at a few locations along the Interstate, like with EV fast chargers.[/color]
Spend an hour eating while you charge it and you did not pull out your credit card out one time for the fill up.
Most of the supercharging stations around here are within walking distance from someplace to eat.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:08 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.Build the WALL!
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by AWOL View Post
Spend an hour eating while you charge it and you did not pull out your credit card out one time for the fill up.
Most of the supercharging stations around here are within walking distance from someplace to eat.

so recharging is free?

Old 02-07-2019, 12:14 PM
tikiman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

It's okay. Pretty soon, winter will be just a distant memory thanks to MMGW. After all, there hasn't been ice at the North Pole since 2014. Right, Al Gore?

​​​​​​​
Old 02-07-2019, 12:22 PM
roadbike56
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16-'17

In before the fanboys tell us its OK to freeze your tail off in winter.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Lee C
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
so recharging is free?
Yes in the small city I live in they also have non Tesla ones

Old 02-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

somebody is paying for it
Old 02-07-2019, 12:28 PM
Lee C
CF Senior Member

right now it's Tesla but later who knowswe are always paying for something whatca going to do
Old 02-07-2019, 12:34 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

so recharging is free?
In many places yes. Often shopping malls will install free charging stations in order to attract more business - which is why my wife shops at Whole Foods and Ralph's.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:35 PM
scottycards
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

All cars hate winter. ICE cars lose anywhere from 10-20% of their efficiency in sub 20* temps, EVs maybe double that, and hybrids somewhere in the middle.

Cold can completely kill an ICE battery, we've all experienced it. Not so much for an EV or a hybrid- the batteries don't particularly like the cold, but it won't kill the whole pack.

Hybrids I've owned got about 20% worse mileage in extreme cold- below 0*. That meant going from about 50mpg to 40mpg, so still decent mileage.

But......the heater in an EV or hybrid will be warm a heck of a lot faster than an ICE vehicle. So my first 10 or so miles of my commute was a lot more comfortable.

For a few weeks each year when I lived in CO, I had to accept lower mileage from my hybrid. Outside of that, it worked fine in the CO snow and cold.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:39 PM
the kid C6
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by AWOL View Post
You paid for the food, so what's the difference? What if I'm not hungry?
I've seen people pacing back and forth, cranky, waiting for an available charging station.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:40 PM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
All cars hate winter. ICE cars lose anywhere from 10-20% of their efficiency in sub 20* temps, EVs maybe double that, and hybrids somewhere in the middle.

Cold can completely kill an ICE battery, we've all experienced it. Not so much for an EV or a hybrid- the batteries don't particularly like the cold, but it won't kill the whole pack.

Hybrids I've owned got about 20% worse mileage in extreme cold- below 0*. That meant going from about 50mpg to 40mpg, so still decent mileage.

But......the heater in an EV or hybrid will be warm a heck of a lot faster than an ICE vehicle. So my first 10 or so miles of my commute was a lot more comfortable.

For a few weeks each year when I lived in CO, I had to accept lower mileage from my hybrid. Outside of that, it worked fine in the CO snow and cold.
C5s sure seem to love ice cold temps. Mine runs like a champ when its <30F and starts to drag *** around 85F. Once it hits 95F, it's on the verge of overheating if driven more than 90 straight minutes.

Love my ICE.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:41 PM
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,294 Times in 935 Posts

Tesla charges the owners of Tesla's to charge their Tesla's at a Tesla Supercharger. Tesla recently raised the rate to $0.28 per kilowatt hour but then lowered it to $0.26 per kilowatt hour when the "poor" Tesla owners raised hell over the increase in price. Tesla also charges $0.40 a minute if you do not unplug your Tesla and free up the charger for another Tesla owner to use, after 5 minutes of completion of the charge has gone by.

So, you drop your wife and two kids off at a restaurant, then drive a mile so you can plug your wonderful Tesla into the Supercharger, then walk the mile to a restaurant to have lunch with your family(who have been waiting for you to show up), and when the charge of your Tesla is complete, you have to get up in the middle of your meal, walk a mile and move your car and then drive that mile back to the restaurant so you can finish your now cold meal(that was hot when you left to get your Tesla). So convientant in 2019 when it's snowing and 10 degrees.

How about the Bolt and the Leaf. Does GM and Nissan have free fast chargers all over the US for them? You can't charge them at a Tesla Supercharger, so you have to use someone else's charger, that charges a fee to cover their expenses and make a profit. Electrify America charges $0.30 to $O.35 per kilowatt hour to use their chargers.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-07-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:44 PM
Lee C
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
Tesla charges the owners of Tesla's to charge their Tesla's at a Tesla Supercharger. Tesla recently raised the rate to $0.28 per kilowatt hour but then lowered it to $0.26 per kilowatt hour when the "poor" Tesla owners raised hell over the increase in price. Tesla also charges $0.40 a minute if you do not unplug your Tesla and free up the charger for another Tesla owner to use, after 5 minutes of completion of the charge has gone by.

So, you drop your wife and two kids off at a restaurant, then drive a mile so you can plug your wonderful Tesla into the Supercharger, then walk the mile to a restaurant to have lunch with your family(who have been waiting for you to show up), and when the charge of your Tesla is complete, you have to get up in the middle of your meal, walk a mile and move your car and then drive that mile back to the restaurant so you can finish your now cold meal(that was hot when you left to get your Tesla). So convientant in 2019 when it's snowing and 10 degrees

Old 02-07-2019, 12:54 PM
GCD1962
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lee C View Post
right now it's Tesla but later who knowswe are always paying for something whatca going to do
Tesla has changed the free charge.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:57 PM
Lee C
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by GCD1962 View Post
Tesla has changed the free charge.
As we speak these are free up here walk by them everyday
Old 02-07-2019, 01:05 PM
USe-car
CF Senior Member

Seems like the more that people write about disliking them, the more auto makers develop future models as electric. Most everything that I read is about converting to electric. All manufactures, all models. Both cars and trucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Cars Hate Winter

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: