Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

What impact have you had on the world?

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Old 02-12-2019, 12:11 AM
Snorkie
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThePirate View Post
It seems to me that with what he's been through he has a right to appear angry. The man has been to hell and back and is still an excellent example of positivity.
what’s funny to me is I’m not angry at all. In fact, except for crushing bouts of depression on occasion, I feel good about life. I feel like I’m the luckiest guy in the world. Plus who the **** is the “lee” guy anyway? So many noobs here don’t know the history.

Originally Posted by krwunlv View Post
I love this thread. I did see where someone said, nothing as we don't matter. I have to disagree with that. To someone we all matter, perhaps "forever" perhaps for a few seconds when we hold open a door and wait for someone to get there and go through it. For that moment, you mattered to that person. Hopefully they will remember that kindness.

To me, stewardship is about leaving your mark on the world by making it a better place. What do I mean by "world"? I am using the term loosely to define what is important to us; family, friends, careers, and our goals in life. Someone’s “world” might be their family. Therefore, to give back the same love and admiration they received throughout their life makes them a steward, in that respect. Or perhaps a cause; something we believe in, to make sure a legacy of caring and giving is left behind to help pave the way for the future. Stewardship is caring enough to make a difference no matter how small that difference might me.

What have I done?

My family knows I am there for them, I have always had their back and always will.
My friends, my true friends, are my extended family. I will always hold them in the same regard and will protect/provide when I am able.
In my professional career, I have lead others to realize their potential and have contributed to the success of others. I am not a boss, I am a leader, a mentor, a coach.
As a first responder, I pledged to assist others in their most desperate time of need.
To the stranger, I will hold the door for you, I will offer guidance and wisdom if its appropriate to do so. I accept that my "guidance/wisdom" is subjective to some it might be trivial to others its worth listening to.

Bottom line, don't pass up an opportunity to better someones world, even its just offering up your opinion and experience about your car to someone that is seeking knowledge.
very well said. I think that’s what I meant by “world”. It’s really however you define it. My self confidence or ego or whatever has saved a lot of lives and made thousands of people who were suffering live better. When the first Special Operators I met told me they were spending their own money to fly around the world to help people (and they don’t have money) I knew I could help. Soon more operators joined us and I secured significant funding from major companies so these great, generous American heroes didn’t have to go broke helping people.

I’m proud of it. To be recognized by the President was just a bonus and a surprise. If I didn’t have the belief in myself, none of that would have happened. I also did all of it while undergoing chemo as I have for 12 years now (next one on Valentine’s Day!) getting chemo in Haiti is sort of an experience.

More ore than once my body failed me and my team of Green Beret and Army docs scraped me off the ground, patched me up and we continued on. I learned I was tougher than I ever knew.

I have not been strong enough the last five years to continue on the missions. I miss it greatly and hope to get back to it.

Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
I know this. I am the absolute most humble person on the forum. No one comes close. I never brag about my humility even though it far exceeds anyone else's. I don't rub your noses in how humble I am compared to you all. I have the knowledge of knowing I am by far the most humble, non-braggart and that is satisfying enough. I never feel compelled to post it or make a big deal of it, even in it's unavoidable enormousness. The fact that I am constantly asked how I remain so down to earth is really a bit embarrassing. Especially when I get hundreds of PMs asking me how I do it. I quickly delete them so as not to appear to be collecting accolades for my humility. I'd like to say it is hard work, but being humble just comes to me naturally.

I'm even embarrassed that this song was written about me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCsNunGnqE0

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC View Post
Sorry to hear about your Dad who smelled like.sawdust, and your desr friend. While they may be gone, it is obvious their.memories mean a great deal for you. For those I've lost..... I have no lost the sense of their laughter or their voices. For me, this is a good thing. But it also makes it hard on some days too. I can distinctly "hear" their voices still and it can being on unexpected emotions. Either way, live with their memories close at hear and the more you think of them, the memories will not fade. They remain fresh as if they were still here.
Thank you. The nerves are still very raw. My mom is having a hard time too. She put down one of their German Shepherds today. And another one about a month after my dad passed. I wish I was well enough to make the 1200 mile trip to be with her.

As for my friend, I miss her every day. She was amazing and taught me so much.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:13 AM
wcsinx
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader View Post
Is it possible that he is doing things in an outdated way? Or does that not account for what you are seeing. It seems like his claim was related to things he did in the past, not the present. I cant tell, I have zero experience in this field.
No, it does not in any conceivable way account for his (mis) statements and overselling of simple, mundane coding tasks. It would actually be much more believable if the examples that he touts were done in an old-school way instead of with the heavily abstracted, more beginner-friendly methodologies that he seems married to.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:42 AM
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by Der Flieger View Post
Make that $200.
Am I renting another room? I have already bought two buildings.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:06 AM
JetMechZ16
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z06PSI View Post
Think about this one.

I don't drink.
That statement is a bit worrisome. I always supposed that your posts were made under the influence of alcohol.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:11 AM
kingpin111
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lee C View Post
Well we know he isn't one of the three wise men.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:16 AM
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by JetMechZ16 View Post
That statement is a bit worrisome. I always supposed that your posts were made under the influence of alcohol.

I have a beer maybe once every 6 months. I'm a busy man.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:22 AM
kingpin111
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z06PSI View Post

I have a beer maybe once every 6 months. I'm a busy man.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by kingpin111 View Post
Old 02-12-2019, 09:30 AM
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by wcsinx View Post
No, it does not in any conceivable way account for his (mis) statements and overselling of simple, mundane coding tasks. It would actually be much more believable if the examples that he touts were done in an old-school way instead of with the heavily abstracted, more beginner-friendly methodologies that he seems married to.
Ok. I had to ask because I cant tell.
I guess as long as you guys are standing on firm ground with this, then the chips should fall where they may.
But, it seems to me after a few months of taunting in a somewhat harmless way, you guys are about to cross a line, and cause some real trouble.
I hope you know what your doing.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 02-12-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:53 AM
davepl
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,411 Times in 942 Posts

OMG this is pathological, but priceless!

The best part was when wxsinx, who is probably a drywaller by trade, started to proffer analysis of my code.

Here's the only professional code of mine (ie: not an Arduino project cranked out on a weekend) that you'll be able to see. Its part of Windows that got leaked. I guess that'd prove it's really me too, if you actually doubted that part. It's from like almost THIRTY years ago so I'm a touch better yet today, but it'll give you a sense of where I started at.

Go ahead, find a bug (ideally one that hasn't been fixed in the intervening 30 years), I'll wait. Y'all think you know so much about quality software, should be easy to find a crash or two in here!

http://www.pudn.com/Download/item/id/675224.html

Put up or shut up, and I don't give a damn for your "style" or "indenting and brackets". Find some bugs.

Last edited by davepl; 02-12-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:04 AM
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member

Old 02-12-2019, 11:39 AM
wcsinx
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by davepl View Post
OMG this is pathological, but priceless!

The best part was when wxsinx, who is probably a drywaller by trade, started to proffer analysis of my code.
Yes yes, keep attacking the messenger. That totally helps your position. I've been on this forum for some 20 years now. My profession is well known and well tested to the veterans here. I've helped various forum members many times over the years with all manner of technical difficulties including coding. Once again, I don't doubt that you were once employed by MS. Were I so motivated I guess I could reach out to some of my friends there and get the skinny on you, but I honestly just don't care enough.

Here's the only professional code of mine (ie: not an Arduino project cranked out on a weekend) that you'll be able to see. Its part of Windows that got leaked.
You do realize that Microsoft has millions of LOC out on GitHub right?

https://github.com/Microsoft

They also host their own opensource projects

https://opensource.microsoft.com/

So if you're as omnipresent as you claim it should be a positively trivial matter to find your work there instead of a random Chinese website, right?

I guess that'd prove it's really me too, if you actually doubted that part. It's from like almost THIRTY years ago so I'm a touch better yet today, but it'll give you a sense of where I started at.

Go ahead, find a bug (ideally one that hasn't been fixed in the intervening 30 years), I'll wait. Y'all think you know so much about quality software, should be easy to find a crash or two in here!

http://www.pudn.com/Download/item/id/675224.html
Furthermore, the Windows taskmanager didn't even exist 30 years ago. (That link is from 2009)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Task_Manager_(Windows)

Task Manager was introduced in its current form with Windows NT 4.0. (1996)
ONCE AGAIN more bullshit easily dis-proven with nothing but a basic knowledge of OS lineage. How about we circle back to your original claim of MS COM being distributed in Linux? You said you "checked" and it was still there. Exactly how did you "check?" And what did you "check?" Please point out the distro, version, and specific build that you're referencing. And just so you know, doing a [grep dave *] doesn't count.

Last edited by wcsinx; 02-12-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:17 PM
davepl
CF Senior Member

Yes yes, keep attacking the messenger. That totally helps your position. I've been on this forum for some 20 years now.
Um, yes, I'm attacking the messenger, because it's the messenger that bothers me. The message is hilarious. The messenger is the annoying part. But that's as far as I read, since you can't do basic math. 15 < 20

Anyway, I'll leave you to it! Have fun! I think you'll find Paxil more effective at the 40mg level, but talk to your doctor before making any adjustments.

Last edited by davepl; 02-12-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:18 PM
Meh
CF Senior Member

Um, yes, I'm attacking the messenger, because it's the messenger that bothers me. The message is hilarious. The messenger is the annoying part. But that's as far as I read, since you can't do basic math. 15 < 20

Anyway, I'll leave you to it! Have fun!
Are you Slo Yelo's dad?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Old 02-12-2019, 12:48 PM
wcsinx
CF Senior Member

Anyway, I'll leave you to it! Have fun! I think you'll find Paxil more effective at the 40mg level, but talk to your doctor before making any adjustments.
Is that the best you've got? Keep moving that target!! But hey as long as we're on the subject of basic math, do tell how you wrote an application 30 years ago that according to MS didn't exist until 23 years ago. And while we're on the subject, would you like to know how I knew off the cuff that taskmanager wasn't a thing 30 years ago? It's because 30 years ago, the MS OS du jour was actually MS DOS which in case you weren't aware, was a single-tasking OS. (Also true of Windows 3.x which was essentially a DOS "skin")

Now with regards to my CF seniority, feel free to ask Savewave if you don't believe me. I originally joined in 1998. This forum has been through quite a few upgrades and total refreshes in that time period. And at one point in 2002 my account became corrupted and inaccessible so a mod simply created a new one for me under the same name, but that of course reset my statistics. I suppose I could ask Savewave to update my row in the DB for me, but it's quite frankly not something I ever gave a **** about.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:48 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

...How about we circle back to your original claim of MS COM being distributed in Linux? You said you "checked" and it was still there. Exactly how did you "check?" And what did you "check?" Please point out the distro, version, and specific build that you're referencing. And just so you know, doing a [grep dave *] doesn't count.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:52 PM
Over9K
CF Senior Member

I fell off the porch one time, and left a dent in my lawn.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:54 PM
davepl
CF Senior Member

While serving in Vietnam in 1969

Sorry bubs, I've (a) got nothing to prove to anyone about code, it's all there for the world to see, and (b) think it's all kinda silly in light of the fact we're amongst veterans and you're whining about Linux and stuff!
Old 02-12-2019, 01:03 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry bubs, I've (a) got nothing to prove to anyone about code...

So goose eggs huh.

Last edited by FourPennyDoug; 02-12-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What impact have you had on the world?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: