Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

What impact have you had on the world?

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

What impact have you had on the world?

Old 02-07-2019, 02:04 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
My greatest "legacy" will be my kids, their kids, etc., etc., etc. Our 2 sons are successful, doing work that they enjoy, and are raising great kids of their own.

On a more material note, in my woodworking hobby I've created many pieces of furniture, accessories, etc. I hope that someday way in the future one or more of those things will be sitting in one of my descendants' homes, and when someone asks "Where did you get that?", they'll say "I don't know, I think some old distant relative made it, or something like that."

One of my favorite Jean Shepherd quotes: Can you imagine 4,000 years passing, and you're not even a memory? Think about it, friends. It's not just a possibility. It's a certainty.
how did you come by that number; hell, give it 40-50 and most of us will be just a name on a marker. Maybe . . .
Old 02-07-2019, 02:06 PM
OldRoger
CF Senior Member

I wish people's goal was to make the least amount of impact on other people and the earth as possible. I want to live my own life without any interference from others good or bad unless I specifically ask for it. Personal sovereignty to the max.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:37 PM
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member

Anyone seeking credit for an accomplishment, probably hasn't accomplished what they think.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:52 PM
gdm78vette
CF Senior Member

You all have heard of the butterfly effect haven't you?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:58 PM
jasper711
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by OldRoger View Post
I wish people's goal was to make the least amount of impact on other people and the earth as possible. I want to live my own life without any interference from others good or bad unless I specifically ask for it. Personal sovereignty to the max.

I am kind of happy to receive the vaccinations and antibiotics others have put into my life.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:58 PM
davepl
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,410 Times in 941 Posts

I wrote some very major portions of the software that runs all Mac, Windows, and Linux computers. Literally Billions of people use my code, that I thought up and typed out myself, every day. Thus using my code is unavoidable if you use a computer. Unless you camp out in the Java VM I guess! Next to the Bible, being in Windows is likely the most ubiquitous thing to be in (and no Heaven help me I'm not drawing comparisons in import just in size of reader base and who has one in the house). You might be able to find your initials with your girlfriend's on a tree somewhere, but I can find them on every computer in the world, give or take. I just need to contribute to Android for the full boat!

Running Chrome on Linux? You're still hitting my codepaths just reading this page. Same on Windows, true on Mac (as long as any Office apps have ever been installed). That's kind of a cool feeling. And it won't be true for code written today, but because I wrote the code that forms the basis of MS-DOS and Windows, that code will ALWAYS be around for eternity for backward compatibility. In the year 2300 if you want some ancient Excel data from Harvard, a Windows emulator will be invoked somehow to process it just as part of accessing it.

It's also a little sobering knowing that I've certainly, and tragically, killed people with my software, either due to bugs or its inherent limitations (stop the lift! I can't, the computer's not responding!), and yet because I wrote Task Manager which can rescue and unfreeze computers (kill it with Task Manager and restart it, then it works!), I figure I must have saved many more, so I still sleep at night.

Totally contrived scenario: security guard in camera room discovers a service tech in the elevator shaft and the elevator is running. But due to a bug in the card game he's playing over top of it, he can't get to the elevator software. So a bug in the card game is about to crush the elevator tech. But he uses Task Manager to terminate the card game and then stop the elevator, crisis averted. Does this happen often? No, but with billions of computers running pretty much everything and most of them running Windows, -something- like that must happen now and then, just on numbers alone.

Last edited by davepl; 02-07-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:13 PM
DDSLT5
CF Senior Member

If your greatest legacy is your kid, what was your parents' greatest legacy?
Old 02-07-2019, 03:15 PM
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member

My accomplishments on this earth meaningless. Telling people about Jesus is all that matters. Like Solomon says what we do here is like chasing the wind
Old 02-07-2019, 03:41 PM
snide
CF Senior Member

Location: You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make him think. - snide The problem with the gene
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
I have made great strides in improving the post quality of CF.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:42 PM
snide
CF Senior Member

Location: You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make him think. - snide The problem with the gene
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by repo View Post
I have supported public transportation for years.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:43 PM
snide
CF Senior Member

CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
My accomplishments on this earth meaningless. Telling people about Jesus is all that matters. Like Solomon says what we do here is like chasing the wind
I despise bible thumpers.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:50 PM
grandpawmoses
CF Senior Member

My carbon footprint is enormous.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:57 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

ZERO. No one will even know I was here.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:05 PM
Stevedore
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by BadUmp View Post
how did you come by that number; hell, give it 40-50 and most of us will be just a name on a marker. Maybe . . .
It was Jean Shepherd's number, but I'd agree that it'll be far less than 4000 years. But 40-50 seems a bit low. In 50 years my grandkids will be in their 60's, and I hope they'll remember me.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:09 PM
04 commemorative
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '17

Nothing can beat what Snorkie said.....
gdm78vette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I wrote some very major portions of the software that runs all Mac, Windows, and Linux computers. Literally Billions of people use my code, that I thought up and typed out myself, every day. Thus using my code is unavoidable if you use a computer. Unless you camp out in the Java VM I guess! Next to the Bible, being in Windows is likely the most ubiquitous thing to be in (and no Heaven help me I'm not drawing comparisons in import just in size of reader base and who has one in the house). You might be able to find your initials with your girlfriend's on a tree somewhere, but I can find them on every computer in the world, give or take. I just need to contribute to Android for the full boat!

Running Chrome on Linux? You're still hitting my codepaths just reading this page. Same on Windows, true on Mac (as long as any Office apps have ever been installed). That's kind of a cool feeling. And it won't be true for code written today, but because I wrote the code that forms the basis of MS-DOS and Windows, that code will ALWAYS be around for eternity for backward compatibility. In the year 2300 if you want some ancient Excel data from Harvard, a Windows emulator will be invoked somehow to process it just as part of accessing it.

It's also a little sobering knowing that I've certainly, and tragically, killed people with my software, either due to bugs or its inherent limitations (stop the lift! I can't, the computer's not responding!), and yet because I wrote Task Manager which can rescue and unfreeze computers (kill it with Task Manager and restart it, then it works!), I figure I must have saved many more, so I still sleep at night.

Totally contrived scenario: security guard in camera room discovers a service tech in the elevator shaft and the elevator is running. But due to a bug in the card game he's playing over top of it, he can't get to the elevator software. So a bug in the card game is about to crush the elevator tech. But he uses Task Manager to terminate the card game and then stop the elevator, crisis averted. Does this happen often? No, but with billions of computers running pretty much everything and most of them running Windows, -something- like that must happen now and then, just on numbers alone.
So its your fault that Windows is such a POS operating system that has to be restarted when almost any new program is installed and can be crashed by other misbehaved code. Such garbage. If it was well written there wouldn't be a need for Task Manager, why would any self respecting OS allow itself to freeze because there is a bug in a card game it is running?

Well at least there is an army of employed Windows experts out there trying to keep ahead of the next bug.
JetMechZ16
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by davepl View Post

So you're the worlds savior 10 x removed. A legend in your own mind.

I saved a girl from running into a prop with my very own two arms almost losing mine in the process. It's only one life, unless of course she later had children. Nothing compared to what you've done from the safety of your computer. Mine had the flavor, sounds, heat, and vibrations of life when it happened. What did you feel through your keyboard?
Old 02-07-2019, 04:10 PM
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by snide View Post
I despise bible thumpers.
Check this out. I DON'T CARE IF YOU DESPISE ME! I am just told to tell people about Him.. It's up to you if you want to believe you were created from an all powerful God or had an monkey grandfather that scratched his ***** all day that evolved from some goo out of the ocean. . You're choice but choose wisely. Peace out snide!!!
Old 02-07-2019, 04:19 PM
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JetMechZ16 View Post
So you're the worlds savior 10 x removed. A legend in your own mind.

I saved a girl from running into a prop with my very own two arms almost losing mine in the process. It's only one life, unless of course she later had children. Nothing compared to what you've done from the safety of your computer. Mine had the flavor, sounds, heat, and vibrations of life when it happened. What did you feel through your keyboard?
dang jet good retort. Actually I don't think I would take credit for anything about the internet, cell phone or computers. I think they all suck and life was better before they were invented.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Swany00
CF Senior Member

Having hired a lot of people over the years, I'm merely a crouton in the salad of life.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What impact have you had on the world?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: