Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Can You Even Buy Firecrackers Anymore?

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Can You Even Buy Firecrackers Anymore?

Old 02-07-2019, 05:52 PM
Hardscrable
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by centuryoldracer View Post
..................... as well as the huge commercial grade sky rockets.
Not sure if actually commercial grade or not but we can buy them, or next thing to them. My neighbor is a fanatic. Started a show 4 years ago on 4th shooting them out over lake. It has grown. Contributions from people all around lake to keep buying more and bigger. Now it is a big party...grill going cooking meat that is supplied supplied along with drinks with rest of food carried in ( including the adult beverages ). Commercial soft serve ice cream machine. Last year had a live band. Takes 3 people to handling shooting off the fireworks...about an hour long show. Boats, pontoons park out on lake to watch. This year acquired couple pontoon tubes and building a dedicated barge to fire them off of out farther in lake so more residents can see.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:53 PM
vader86
CF Senior Member

No cherry bombs anymore but I can get fireworks anytime.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:57 PM
Jimnc
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

You can buy anything you want in SC.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:57 PM
ztheusa
CF Senior Member

As a kid, we used to just order them.......................delivered by USPS mail.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:02 PM
KissArmy2001
CF Senior Member

TN and MS all day long and twice on Sunday
Old 02-07-2019, 06:06 PM
scottycards
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Wyoming sells firecrackers, mortars, pretty much everything.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:12 PM
Sabre34
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-18-'19

Available in roadside stands around the Fourth of July.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:13 PM
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member

still can buy bottle rockets in like New Mexico or Arizona (not texas) but I haven't seen m80s or cherry bombs for years. The best firecrackers i ever bought were in Peurto Vilarte(hell I don't know how to spell and don't care. They had these fireworks that use to look like the paper footballs you played on a table when you were a kid big ones made out of newspaper with gunpowder in it with a water proof wick coming out of the top.
My gosh those things were freak'n POWERFUL. Guarantee to take a finger or two OFF if held. When you lit it it made an explosion the size of a basketball and the all the paper would catch on fire and float off. So on new year eve in a bar while dancing on the table my friend lit one in a crowded club. BAM a basketball size explosion goes off people are holding their ears, flying flaming newspaper going everywhere and we just look at each other and start laughing our asses off(ok I admit I was a little drunk and a little inmature in my 30s) Then check this out the club owner with a security guard comes over and we are thinking we are going to mexican jail and says if we light another one he is going to ask us to leave. We say yes sir he walks off and then we high 5 and start laughing our asses off again - only in mexico.

Last edited by gixxerbill; 02-07-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:24 PM
jim2527
CF Senior Member

Anything that goes aerial is illegal in Florida. Unless your using them for agricultural purposes.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:29 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by zsr22 View Post
They are still legal in America. It's the places outside of America like California and Illinois where they are illegal.
I drive across the border to Indiana every year and buy a **** load of fireworks.

Go back to IL and blow up the neighborhood.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:31 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jim2527 View Post
Anything that goes aerial is illegal in Florida. Unless your using them for agricultural purposes.
I buy Massive aerial fireworks every year. Way stronger than any M-80.

Cops here don't give a damn, they would have to arrest the entire population.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:40 PM
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut View Post
I drive across the border to Indiana every year and buy a **** load of fireworks.

Go back to IL and blow up the neighborhood.
hopefully in emmanual's neighborhood. Man I ddin't know you lived in Illinois. You seem like a really good guy I feel really bad for you. Maybe one day you can leave that place and live with normal people.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:51 PM
PKguitar
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18

NJ has headed the other way. When I moved here in 1986, I don't think you could legally buy a sparkler. Now, they sell all kinds of fireworks in Shop-Rite where I get my groceries.

It seems counter-intuitive, since NJ is one of the bluest states in the Union, but that is the way it is.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:51 PM
roadbike56
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16-'17

Add NC to the list where you can buy most anything. Guy on our street puts on a display every year complete with areal rockets.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:29 PM
Gary79
CF Senior Member

Missouri. warehouses of fireworks.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:03 PM
fishingdan
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18'-19

I just came back from SC and as soon as you cross the line from NC there are billboards advertising any type of fireworks you'd want. On a prior trip I bought plenty of aerials and there were M-80s by the caseload if you wanted those.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:32 PM
Covfefe
CF Senior Member

I roll my own.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:39 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
I keep hoping Texas will ban them.
Won't matter, we just walk out on our back porches and fire our weapons in the air
Old 02-07-2019, 10:49 PM
ByRiver
CF Senior Member

Pretty much any firework that actually does something other that sparkle or smoke, is illegal in Illinois. If you drive over the State line into Missouri, you can buy firecrackers, rockets, and probably miniature atomic devices if you have the means. Open year round.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Rule292
CF Senior Member

Location: Filling the public teat for liberals to suckle off of.
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Yep..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_fireworks

United States

A map of consumer fireworks laws in the USA by state.
Consumer fireworks laws in the USA by state
All consumer fireworks banned[color] [/color] Wire sparklers only[color] [/color] Non-aerial fireworks only[color] [/color] All/most consumer fireworks allowed[color] [/color] Sales to non-residents only[color] [/color] Regulations vary by city/countyIn the United States, the laws governing consumer fireworks vary widely from state to state, or from county to county. It is common for consumers to cross state and county lines in order to purchase types of fireworks which are outlawed in their home-jurisdictions. Fireworks laws in urban areas typically limit sales or use by dates or seasons. Municipalities may have stricter laws than their counties or states do.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission defines what fireworks may be considered consumer fireworks. Consumer fireworks in the United States are limited to 500 grams (this was previously 200 grams until recent years) of composition, and firecrackers may have up to 50 milligrams of flash powder. Reloadable shells are limited to 1.75" in diameter, and shells in pre-fused tubes are limited to 2". Any fireworks that exceed these limits are not considered consumer fireworks and need an ATF license.

The American Pyrotechnics Association maintains a directory of state laws pertaining to fireworks.

One state Massachusetts bans the sale and use of all consumer fireworks, including novelties and sparklers.

Two states Illinois and Vermont permits the sale and use of only wire or wood stick sparklers and other novelties.

The following states allow the sale and use of non-aerial and non-explosive fireworks (also called "safe and sane") like novelties, fountains and sparklers, etc.: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Maryland, Minnesota, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Virginia, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia.

Delaware Governor John Carney signed into law a bill on May 20, 2018 allowing sparklers and non-explosive, non-airborne novelty items. The use is allowed only on July 4 and December 31 each year with sales limited to the 30 days preceding their allowed use.[8]

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed into law a bill on November 21, 2014 allowing sparklers, party poppers, cone fountains and other novelty items to be sold, possessed, and used in the state of New York outside of New York City. Local governments must approve the sale and use of fireworks before people can legally use them. Although the use of fireworks is allowed year-round, the sale of fireworks, by registered businesses, is limited to a period of June 1 through July 5 and December 26 through January 2 each year.

Michigan legislators have passed and enrolled a bill that was signed by Governor Rick Snyder on December 13, 2011[9] allowing the sale and use of all consumer fireworks, however, sellers must pay a fee ($6001000) to sell higher-power consumer fireworks, and a tax will be added to fireworks purchases.[10]

California has very specific requirements for the types of consumer fireworks that can be sold to and used by residents. Even then each city can and often does place restrictions on sale and use. The use of firecrackers is permitted according to the FBGOC.

In Minnesota and Florida only consumer fireworks that do not explode or fly through the air are permitted to be sold to and used by residents.

The following states permit the sale of all or most types of consumer fireworks to residents: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming (varies by county) and Georgia. Many of these states have selling seasons around the 4th of July and/or Christmas and New Year's Eve. Some of these states also allow local laws or regulations to further restrict the types permitted or the selling seasons.

Missouri permits all types of consumer fireworks to be sold to residents with two selling seasons; June 20 July 10 and December 20 January 2. South Carolina permits all types of consumer fireworks except small rockets less than in diameter and 3 long to be sold and used by residents year round.

Two states Hawaii and Nevada allow each county to establish its own regulations.

For example, Clark County, Nevada, where Las Vegas is located, allows residents to purchase and use only non-explosive and non-aerial consumer fireworks during the 4th of July, while other counties permit all types of consumer fireworks.

In Maine fireworks can only be sold to people over 21 at firework only stores except for sparklers that can be sold at stores that sell other items except for propane dealers or other explosives

Many states have stores with all types of consumer fireworks that sell to non-residents with the provision they are to remove the purchased fireworks from that state. This is why there are many stores selling fireworks in states like Ohio, Florida, Missouri, New Hampshire, Nevada and Wisconsin with all types of consumer fireworks, even though residents are limited or prohibited from buying or using those very same consumer fireworks unless they have the appropriate licenses and/or permits.

Many Native American Tribes have consumer fireworks stores on reservation lands that are exempt from state and local authority and will sell to people that are not in the tribe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can You Even Buy Firecrackers Anymore?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: