Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Can You Even Buy Firecrackers Anymore?

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Can You Even Buy Firecrackers Anymore?

Old 02-07-2019, 04:23 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Can You Even Buy Firecrackers Anymore?

CA, IL, and other states have made exploding fireworks like bottle rockets, firecrackers, M-80s, and Cherry Bombs illegal. Is that true everywhere in America or are there still some places where we can buy the same stuff we could buy as kids?
Old 02-07-2019, 04:26 PM
JetMechZ16
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
CA, IL, and other states have made exploding fireworks like bottle rockets, firecrackers, M-80s, and Cherry Bombs illegal. Is that true everywhere in America or are there still some places where we can buy the same stuff we could buy as kids?
I have a fireworks store about 5 miles from my house, I can get most of what you mentioned there, 100% legal.

Oh, I live in the free state of Tennessee.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:27 PM
Silverback51
CF Senior Member

Any Indian reservation in Washington state.
By law you were supposed to set them off on the reservation but most people took them home and set them off.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Swany00
CF Senior Member

hell no, **** might cause a fire :0

I live in the country (foothills) and with all the fires we've had here, they are banned for a reason.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:28 PM
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member

20+ states ,are ok with buying fireworks
Old 02-07-2019, 04:30 PM
zsr22
CF Senior Member

BCS Bet for St. Jude '09-'10-'11, '15

They are still legal in America. It's the places outside of America like California and Illinois where they are illegal.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:32 PM
Over9K
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JetMechZ16 View Post
I have a fireworks store about 5 miles from my house, I can get most of what you mentioned there, 100% legal.

Same. I'm just a bit south of Knoxville, got the permanent Fireworks Supermarket just up the road, and there's the pop-up Superstore out on TN411 that only opens around the traditional fireworks holidays like 4th of July, New Years, Chinese New Years, Arbor Day, National Secretaries Day... etc, etc...
Old 02-07-2019, 04:32 PM
Hardscrable
CF Senior Member

Come to Indiana. Some permanent stores. In spring, summer there are shops everywhere and temporary tents selling them set up in parking lots, grassy areas adjoining shopping centers. Lot of advertising , each seller has the biggest and best available.

Last edited by Hardscrable; 02-07-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:33 PM
Klondike
CF Senior Member

Can't buy them around here in Texas except at new-years and 4th of July, but I saw year round stores back in Tennessee and a couple of other Eastern states.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Vette_DD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JetMechZ16 View Post

Me, too. Got 3 fireworks stands that open up in town every 4th of July. Got one more about 3 miles out of town that opens on several different holidays, including New Years.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:40 PM
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member

Cant here as long as I remember and I'm ok with that. However I never seen M-80's in a store when I been in them.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:47 PM
Over9K
CF Senior Member

I don't think real M-80's exist anymore... or real Cherry Bombs... I think those got neutered, and they're just big bangs now. When I was a kid, a genuine M-80 would put one of those metal full-size, Oscar the Grouch type trash cans 12/15 feet in the air... these days, you can't hardly get a mailbox to blow open... I'm told...
Old 02-07-2019, 04:50 PM
MY03C5Z
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by zsr22 View Post
They are still legal in America. It's the places outside of America like California and Illinois where they are illegal.

Lots of firework stores here in PA. Pretty certain your not going to find M80s in them, or in any store in the US. Those little f-rs will take a couple fingers of if youre not careful. They used to be fairly easy to buy (illegally) 20+ years ago around here. I always had some around July 4th along with the really big boomers.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

I keep hoping Texas will ban them.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:24 PM
jd
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06, '15

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z View Post

Lots of firework stores here in PA. Pretty certain your not going to find M80s in them,
Interestingly, there were just legalized last year. You can get all the 'good stuff' - mortars, Black Cats, bottle rockets, massive fountains etc.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:30 PM
05c6silververt
CF Senior Member

Location: Well whaddaya know? You really can fool some of the people all of the time.
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by Over9K View Post
I don't think real M-80's exist anymore... or real Cherry Bombs... I think those got neutered, and they're just big bangs now. When I was a kid, a genuine M-80 would put one of those metal full-size, Oscar the Grouch type trash cans 12/15 feet in the air... these days, you can't hardly get a mailbox to blow open... I'm told...
I have hundreds of mailbox notches on my lighter.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:36 PM
centuryoldracer
CF Senior Member

Well since this country has several sets of laws (Indians, politicians, and us dumb surfs) Here in Idaho if you go out to the "res" you can buy all of the above, as well as the huge commercial grade sky rockets.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:37 PM
centuryoldracer
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Over9K View Post
They do here, and much larger than M-80s
Old 02-07-2019, 05:41 PM
05c6silververt
CF Senior Member

Location: Well whaddaya know? You really can fool some of the people all of the time.
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

We have (or at least had, not sure if it's still open) a fireworks store just inside the PA state line, right off of I-95. Never been myself but, from what I understand, the store has two doors, one for PA residents and one for out-of-state residents. On the o-o-s side you supposedly can buy all manner of firecrackers, bottle-rockets, roman candles, star-bursts, whirley-doodles and whatever other explosive and/or fiery notions that you might desire. On the PA side, all you can get are sparklers and smoke bombs and such...nothing that goes 'BANG' or 'POP' or goes whistling up into the atmosphere. I guess our legislators have decided that it's ok if your kids blow up your mailboxes but we're not having any of that here.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:44 PM
DJ_Critterus
CF Senior Member

Location: FL.... America's Wang! No shrinkage. Winter's not coming!
St. Jude Donor '09

I still have some I brought from italy years ago. No fuses...they have a match tip on them and that's why we called them "strikers." I also have what we called an "onion bomb" since it's name in Italian was Cipolla...which means onion. It's about the size of an orange with maybe a 25' fuse. Left a small crater about 6" deep and 15' in diameter on a paved road in Pinetamare, Italy when I was about 16 with one of those. I jsut laid it on the asphalt and boom....fucked up the road. Yeah, I still might know where one is stashed close by.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can You Even Buy Firecrackers Anymore?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: