Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

A Question for Whiskey Drinkers

Old 02-08-2019, 06:29 AM
03 A/E Coupe
CF Senior Member

Everybody's a Critic.

When describing " Taste " the most appropriate manner is to give a ' Like Example '

And like Craft Beer Blow Holes, These Whiskey a Go Go Gurus are no different in their mentally masturbated creative " Taste Descriptors "....

If they were truly being honest; they'd have just a few taste examples: such as: Paint Thinner, Rubbing Alcohol, Furniture Stripper, and Rocket Fuel.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:27 AM
TJay74
CF Senior Member

I started drinking Crown about 25 years ago and it was my go to up until recently. Wanting to cut some sugar carbs out of my diet I have started drinking whiskey straight. So while I have a decent collection of the Crown stuff (Crown Black, Crown Monarch, Crown Reserve, Crown XR) I just started picking up some other Whiskeys to try them out. Bought some Woodford Reserve and Bulleit last night to try out. So far I am pretty impressed, the Woodford lives up to name of being on the spicy side. The Bulleit is really good and a super smooth whiskey.

Feel free to post up some suggestions. I personally dont like harsh whiskey/bourbons. I also am not a fan of the smokey taste either, more into the smoother stuff.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Rush Fan
CF Senior Member

Old 02-08-2019, 11:48 AM
fcdriver417
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
...Bought some Woodford Reserve and Bulleit last night to try out. So far I am pretty impressed, the Woodford lives up to name of being on the spicy side. The Bulleit is really good and a super smooth whiskey.

Feel free to post up some suggestions. I personally dont like harsh whiskey/bourbons. I also am not a fan of the smokey taste either, more into the smoother stuff.
I never thought I'd hear someone describe Bulleit as smooth. It has a higher than average rye content that gives it its distinct bite.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:50 AM
vader86
CF Senior Member

I can tell the difference between brands, and you can pick up some notes like you do with beer, but mostly I believe its BS.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:50 AM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by fcdriver417 View Post
I never thought I'd hear someone describe Bulleit as smooth. It has a higher than average rye content that gives it its distinct bite.
and I'm scared to try their Rye
Old 02-08-2019, 12:00 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Hibiki Harmony has a bright, almost sparkling nose, with just a hint of peppermint and a whiff of rosewater. The finish is strong but smooth, like a FLEXjs deadlift.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:25 PM
snide
CF Senior Member

Location: You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make him think. - snide The problem with the gene
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I used to read Cigar Aficionado. Their reviews of cigars had the same types of descriptions. I always thought it was bullshit. I'm sure that most of those whiskey reviews are bullshit too.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:06 PM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

It is either good or its not.

Some really cheap Bourbons are fantastic after a minute in ice.

Part of it is marketing...Blanton's....everyone loves Blanton's...to me Blanton's is mediocre but my wife loves the stuff. I bought her a bottle of Blanton's Gold from Europe, not sold in the US. I wouldn't let someone I hate drink that stuff.

Best cheap bottles...David Nichols 1853 and Reserve. $26 and $32, great value. Bank Note like $32 for a liter. Larceny for the money is great too. There is a small distillery up in Saginaw that sells a 1/5th of Vodka for $15 that is every good as Ketel One.

It does not need to be expensive to be good but generally expensive ones are have a smoother taste. My wife loves Johnny Blue and yes its super smooth, just not sure if its $200 smooth.

I would hazard to guess we have the largest collection among those on CFOT....If it was not a hobby to collect and I was a casual drinker I could probably narrow it down to 15 bottles that are good, reasonable, and enjoyable. All the other 235ish bottles we have are variations on the same.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:12 PM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

I started drinking Crown about 25 years ago and it was my go to up until recently. Wanting to cut some sugar carbs out of my diet I have started drinking whiskey straight. So while I have a decent collection of the Crown stuff (Crown Black, Crown Monarch, Crown Reserve, Crown XR) I just started picking up some other Whiskeys to try them out. Bought some Woodford Reserve and Bulleit last night to try out. So far I am pretty impressed, the Woodford lives up to name of being on the spicy side. The Bulleit is really good and a super smooth whiskey.

From me personally and I tend to go with things and are more accessible, meaning you don't have to be into it to enjoy it. Bulleit is not good whiskey to drink straight or over ice, however if we are mixing we use Bulleit.

Best Rye : Yipee Kai Ai from High West
Best Irish: Auchentoshan Triple Wood...probably the best single liquor I've had.
Best Japanese: Hakushu 12 year
Best Scotch: Balvenie First Pour 12 year...a lot of people will tell you the Double Wood but this is smoother to me
Best Bourbon: Too many to list but if you want something accessible Angels Envy and if you want to move toward a real Bourbon Amador is great.

All of those are easy to get except Hakushu which is no longer sold. I have a 3 bottle stockpile. None of them are cheap. Amador is the cheapest at $49. The others range from $60 to $90 but they are all pretty good and probably would not be disappointed in them.

The worst thing is buying an expensive bottle that tastes like ****. My wife does not like JD but they had a JD Special Edition...she kind of wanted it but then we she found out they only have 10 bottles in the entire state she was on a mission. $83 later we got it and it was probably one of the worst tasting liquors we ever had.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-08-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:17 PM
Snowwolfe
CF Senior Member

I am far from a whiskey expert but can detect flavors of caramel, honey, vanilla, peat, smoke and sometimes a trace of citrus. That's about all for my palate. But it has to be smooth to be enjoyable and my favorite so far is Russels Reserve followed by George Dickel 12 year old (a surprise great buy at $22 a bottle). Buffalo Trace is also excellent.

Sorry, I consider Crown Royal to be rot gut. That stuff is just plain horrible

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 02-08-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:48 PM
Sayfoo
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
and I'm scared to try their Rye
No, try it.
Bullet was one of the first makers to get the rye resurgence going. 3-4 yrs ago, there weren't many rye's on the shelf. I tried it on a lark and been drinking it ever since. It's actually pretty smooth. I haven't tried the bourbon yet.
As many stated above, marketing is the biggest factor to most social drinkers. If the best drink in the world was fairly cheep, many/most people would not buy it because of the stigma of being a cheap skate.
Blind taste tests are hard to find, but I did see a couple on youtube for vodka. Now to me, vodka is just rubbing alcohol, but I do believe a real connoisseur can tell the difference. But as soon as you add juice or flavors, there's no real difference. Anyway, on the blind taste tests, cheap *** Popov was rated very well and the expensive Gray Goose was rated near the bottom. So, marketing makes the choice here??
Old 02-08-2019, 04:00 PM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sayfoo View Post
No, try it.
Bullet was one of the first makers to get the rye resurgence going. 3-4 yrs ago, there weren't many rye's on the shelf. I tried it on a lark and been drinking it ever since. It's actually pretty smooth. I haven't tried the bourbon yet.
As many stated above, marketing is the biggest factor to most social drinkers. If the best drink in the world was fairly cheep, many/most people would not buy it because of the stigma of being a cheap skate.
Blind taste tests are hard to find, but I did see a couple on youtube for vodka. Now to me, vodka is just rubbing alcohol, but I do believe a real connoisseur can tell the difference. But as soon as you add juice or flavors, there's no real difference. Anyway, on the blind taste tests, cheap *** Popov was rated very well and the expensive Gray Goose was rated near the bottom. So, marketing makes the choice here??
I'm good with the Bullieit Bourbon, it's my garage swill.

Lots of Rye's out there now, I got weened onto them with Templeton several years ago. Pretty mild for Rye IMO.
I've heard good things about Angels Envy Rye, haven't tried it yet.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:20 PM
Sayfoo
CF Senior Member

Some funny stuff about brands.
Some brands buy base stock and relabel it. At the start of the rye resurgence, many of the brands were from Lawrenceburg, In. The talk at that time was that many of them were just this. I bought some another brand and after reading about the Lawrenceburg deal, I checked it out. Sure enough, same city
Seem to be many more brands now from different makers.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:27 PM
Murray Anderson
CF Senior Member

as good or better than Crown Black

Old 02-08-2019, 04:32 PM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sayfoo View Post
Some funny stuff about brands.
Some brands buy base stock and relabel it. At the start of the rye resurgence, many of the brands were from Lawrenceburg, In. The talk at that time was that many of them were just this. I bought some another brand and after reading about the Lawrenceburg deal, I checked it out. Sure enough, same city
Seem to be many more brands now from different makers.
Yup several distilled there. When I first started drinking Templeton, it was still distilled in Iowa, once the Rye became popular they couldn't make enough, they went to IN year back.

Last edited by KarlK; 02-08-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:49 PM
chaase
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
One of the YouTube channels to which I subscribe is the Whiskey Vault channel. Here's an example of one of their videos:

Their Whiskey collection is amazing and they are entertaining to watch, especially towards the end when they've had 7 or 8 glasses.

My question concerns the way they describe the taste of the whiskies they sample. They use colorful phrases like

"Candied maraschino cherry lollipop notes mixed with wood and caramel"
"Light, bright and fresh - almost minty - with a little licorice, honey and not a lot of oakiness"
"This tastes like carrot cake with cream cheese frosting"
"It smells like fresh wheat bread toast with butter"

Be honest - these guys are just making this **** up, aren't they? They don't really taste all these ridiculous things in the whiskey do they? Do whiskey connoisseurs really talk like this?
Some of it is bullshit and some of it is real. There are certain flavors like wood, vanilla and caramel that I can taste.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Force-1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-' 15-'16-'17-'18-'19
I believe in the Beer Fairy
USAF (Retired) 1979-2001

Which OT baller is going to jump on this? $2K a bottle!

Double Eagle Very Rare – 20 Year Old Bourbon Whiskey

Old 02-08-2019, 05:05 PM
GTOguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I like sour mash the best, and don't like the sweeter stuff usually. My go-to budget drink is Evan Williams (30% the cost of Jack and superior in every way), and my expensive favorite is Booker's, (130 proof) followed by Bakers (107 proof). Booker's is more complex, and very strong, so for me, I have it over ice and let the ice melt a bit. Baker's is the hands-down smoothest bourbon I've ever had. **** Creek Select is great,too, as are many others. I tried Bulliet, and strangely, it lacked the sour mash base I like in a bourbon, so it's not for me. Buffalo Trace is also an excellent mid-price bourbon that won't disappoint. I prefer the small batch, unfiltered, direct-from-the-barrel stuff to blended Canadian whiskies.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:34 PM
Capn Hook
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
I like sour mash the best, and don't like the sweeter stuff usually. My go-to budget drink is Evan Williams (30% the cost of Jack and superior in every way), and my expensive favorite is Booker's, (130 proof) followed by Bakers (107 proof). Booker's is more complex, and very strong, so for me, I have it over ice and let the ice melt a bit. Baker's is the hands-down smoothest bourbon I've ever had. **** Creek Select is great,too, as are many others. I tried Bulliet, and strangely, it lacked the sour mash base I like in a bourbon, so it's not for me. Buffalo Trace is also an excellent mid-price bourbon that won't disappoint. I prefer the small batch, unfiltered, direct-from-the-barrel stuff to blended Canadian whiskies.
Funny you adding buffalo trace to your list when you like sour mash bourbons, when itís a wheated bourbon, giving it a slightly more sweet flavor. Itís my go to bourbon, neat, especially for the price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Question for Whiskey Drinkers

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: