Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

A Question for Whiskey Drinkers

Old 02-09-2019, 03:18 PM
05c6silververt
CF Senior Member

Location: Well whaddaya know? You really can fool some of the people all of the time.
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Strange looking labels, obscure sounding names, weird ingredients or concoctions....and exorbitant pricing. As far as I can tell you're being taken in by gimmicks, nothing more. The odder the name and the label on a beer or spirit and the higher the price, the masses are convinced that it has to be good. And a lot of people will proclaim its greatness, even if it sucks, so that they appear to be hip or in the know. No thanks.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:55 AM
Klondike
CF Senior Member

About three weeks ago I went on a car club cruise and we did a small Texas distillery.(Iron Wolf of Spicewood, Tx.) I bought a bottle of their Bourbon after a taste tour, not great but not bad either. After about half the bottle I decided it has a bit too harsh of a bite to it. So....Just for the hell of it I took a fresh Britta water filter out and ran the last half bottle through it 4 times.
WOW! It made a HUGE difference in the taste. It took all the bite and twang out of it and made it really smooth. Had my Wife taste it. She sniffed it at first and said I made it too strong for her. I said just taste it. She took a tiny sip, looked up at me with kind of a puzzlement, and then took a longer drink. She said it didn't taste nearly as strong as it did before and NOW she actually liked it.

Last edited by Klondike; 02-10-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:05 AM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 05c6silververt View Post
Strange looking labels, obscure sounding names, weird ingredients or concoctions....and exorbitant pricing. As far as I can tell you're being taken in by gimmicks, nothing more. The odder the name and the label on a beer or spirit and the higher the price, the masses are convinced that it has to be good. And a lot of people will proclaim its greatness, even if it sucks, so that they appear to be hip or in the know. No thanks.
No,,,you will find most whiskey drinkers are far from blind on what they are buying, what is good, and what is not good.

Some of it is good, some of it is great, some of it is ****. I'd guess 60 percent of the bottles we own are OK and 10-15 percent are down right terrible regardless of the cost. We have a couple of $80 bottles that were garbage.

A so-so bottle at $30 is great, a so-so bottle at $100 is ****.

Our favorites are split among the stuff that is expensive but more impressive is the stuff that is cheap and is 80-90 percent of what the expensive bottles are in taste.

Tastes also change, what tastes bad one week will taste better because your individual tastes change.

It is a hobby and its something we enjoy. We went to a 2 distilleries yesterday and had 4 excellent drinks and 2 shitty ones but we had a good time doing it.

Most Michigan distilleries that are just starting out buying their mash from Michigrain in Lansing, Michigan. So they start there and then do their own thing to it. There are simple business and economic reasons for this. If most of them buy the same starting point then why are some not good and some great? There is more to it than just fermenting something.

Our take from last night:

Last edited by NoOne; 02-10-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:09 AM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

I believe in the Beer Fairy

A few years back my niece got her husband a whiskey tasting Club membership where every month they would send a sample of some exotic whiskeys and you would need to taste these and then report back on your findings. Evidently they were fantastic because both he and my brother, his father-in-law , became whiskey snobs through the process. Both brewed beer beforehand and were fairly Avid beer enthusiasts. Neither drank any Spirits more potent than Wine up until that point.

I have not allowed either to talk me into trying it. I have had one experience with anything similar. A friend of a friend came up from down south with a two quart jar of, let's call it Homebrew. LOL if ever there was something that made you believe in that stereotypical coughing and choking followed by saying smooth in a broken voice, this was the stuff. It was outstanding and if I had a supply of that stuff around, I'd probably have already had some for breakfast.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:26 AM
2500 hd
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor Ď18-'19

Originally Posted by JonMN View Post
I used to like Scotch, then, after a New Year's Eve party I switched to Bourbon. I tend to prefer the "smoother" bourbons. Current favorites include Basil Hayden's and Woodford Reserve.
What happened at the New Years Eve party that made you give up Scotch ?
Must of been one hell of a party.....
Old 02-10-2019, 11:57 AM
JonMN
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2500 hd View Post
What happened at the New Years Eve party that made you give up Scotch ?
Must of been one hell of a party.....
It was a great party! A group of friends rented a small resort and made a super dinner. But it was an introduction to Manhattans that converted me to Bourbon. mmmm Woodford Reserve Manhattans. More than one.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:10 PM
Sunset-C6
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Capn Hook View Post
I agree to a point. Iím a neat drinker. But sometimes I just want a soda/bourbon mixed. I like the tastes together. And on hot evenings sometimes I like my bourbon cooler than room temp. Not necessarily because itís bad ďboozeĒ though. Granted, there is the swilles of swilles and those need to be mixed just to stomach!
Yeah, that's the point use the not so good booze as a mixer or over ice. Drink the good stuff neat maybe add just a splash of water to reduce the alcohol percentage, & notice the change in taste.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:49 PM
Jake Welder

I'm like most of you. I know what I like, and drink the best I can. Bulleit is my go to when I can't afford Basil Hayden. Bulleit rye is really good. If you like rye, then give Dry Fly a try. Makers at a bar/restaurant because it's usually the best available. Bourbon is my favorite, but I like all spirits. Kind of like how I am very GM biased, but still own and drive/love Fords, imports, ect. Currently I'm trying to put together a space to house an used bourbon barrel to age my homemade apple cider in. A bulleit barrel would be my #1 choice. I also recently tried some bottled guiness beer aged in bulleit barrels. Simply superb, if not a bit dangerous.

When I'm broke, I like seagrams. Luckily, there has been half a bottle of seagrams in the cupboard for months, and I got some Bulleit for xmas.
Great topic. A nice break from my vette fever. Thanks to all for making this a truly great forum.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:58 PM
2500 hd
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor Ď18-'19

It was a great party! A group of friends rented a small resort and made a super dinner. But it was an introduction to Manhattans that converted me to Bourbon. mmmm Woodford Reserve Manhattans. More than one.
Woodford Reserve is very tasty....
Old 02-10-2019, 01:06 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jake Welder View Post
Great topic. A nice break from my vette fever. Thanks to all for making this a truly great forum.
You're welcome.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Klondike
CF Senior Member

I probably ruined all the hard work of putting the special character into that bottle of bourbon when I ran it through my filter. 🤫
But to me, it improved it. A friend is a Scotch drinker and has several special bottles around. I donít like Scotch at all. He keeps trying hard to get me to try some of his different brands, so out of politeness I have just tasted a couple so not to waste his prise drinks. Iím sorry man, but I CAN taste a difference. One is nasty and the other is nastier!😂🧐
Old 02-10-2019, 10:31 PM
ZPO
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Not to hijack this thread but have you tried any of the Japanese whiskeys? I was treated to a taste of the Hibiki Harmony and found it's taste to my liking.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryol.../#2440daed57ef

Jim Beam / Markers Mark was purchased by Japan's Suntory firm. Wonder if this is going to be a trend?

---
Old 02-10-2019, 10:44 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZPO View Post
Not to hijack this thread but have you tried any of the Japanese whiskeys? I was treated to a taste of the Hibiki Harmony and found it's taste to my liking.
Love Hibiki Harmony.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:57 AM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZPO View Post

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryol.../#2440daed57ef

Jim Beam / Markers Mark was purchased by Japan's Suntory firm. Wonder if this is going to be a trend?

---
I like most Japanese whiskeys although a lot of them are malts. Suntory owns most everything these days but seems to do a good job keeping things original and separate.

Suntory AO is coming out in April, it is a mix of their different brands. American, Irish, Japanese, Scottish, etc.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:32 PM
vader86
CF Senior Member

Never have enjoyed the flavor of the japanese whiskies

Last edited by vader86; 02-11-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:20 PM
JonMN
CF Senior Member

A new favorite emerges . . . Redemption Wheated
Old 02-15-2019, 05:30 PM
wcsinx
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by vader86 View Post
Never have enjoyed the flavor of the japanese whiskies
Same (and I'm Japanese ) They never seem to have much of a flavor profile.

My go-to whiskeys are Bushmills Black and Angel's Envy.

But on a related note I did just pick up a bottle of Aviation Gin after watching all of Ryan Reynold's commercials for it.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:36 PM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

A new favorite emerges . . . Redemption Wheated
Hard to get but it is a favorite of ours also. Got lucky and snagged 2 bottles.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:37 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wcsinx View Post
Same (and I'm Japanese ) They never seem to have much of a flavor profile.

My go-to whiskeys are Bushmills Black and Angel's Envy.

But on a related note I did just pick up a bottle of Aviation Gin after watching all of Ryan Reynold's commercials for it.
Do you also drink Longbranch because Matthew McConaughey endorses it?
Old 02-15-2019, 06:37 PM
wcsinx
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
Do you also drink Longbranch because Matthew McConaughey endorses it?
No, because Ryan has more talent in one of his nuthairs than Mr. Alrightalrightalright McConaheyheyhey.

...that and it's made by Wild Turkey, thus only good for stripping paint

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Question for Whiskey Drinkers

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: