Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Last Ram thread? What is this special edition Ram!

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Last Ram thread? What is this special edition Ram!

Old 02-09-2019, 11:29 AM
ZeusC6
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
you are an idiot or a troll.
...actually both and well documented in all of his postings
Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5 View Post
Calm down, bro. I'm not a troll. Not an idiot. I'm asking questions about a truck I don't know enough about before I strongly consider buying it.

I got a pre approval for a loan that could go further than this, but trying to get the best Ram at the best price.

I love this one because the Inferno Orange does look pretty amazing. Its Hemi and 4x4. That color combo is just sex. I hate getting ripped off for an "appearance package", but G damn, that's the best looking modern truck I've ever seen.
I think you should buy the truck since it crys out Philadelphia Flyers in color!
Old 02-09-2019, 11:34 AM
MAD IN NC
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,400 Times in 710 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

Originally Posted by repo View Post
psst> You are supposed to egg him on to buy it, not lose interest in it!

..... but then we will miss his ADD posts on cars
Old 02-09-2019, 11:34 AM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Did you even look at the Monroney Sticker in your link?
That's why I'm so fing confused. That sticker says 3.21 ratio. A number of websites said the RamSport automatically came with a 3.90 (?) ratio. But I'm wondering if the axle ratio upgrade was part of the option package noted on the sticker, but possibly not listed specifically under the sport package option upgrade.

As for the 8H70 (?) 8-speed trans...is that a good unit? I know literally nothing about trans except the 4L60Es, 4L65Es,4L80Es, etc...essentially, I know nothing about trans except GM transmissions.

Does this use a Getrag diff? I have heard they are the best (the ones used on C5s for instance--despite leaking on C5s--but that's another matter). If not, is the differential a good, durable unit on these?

Sticker does not list HP/torque figures. Since the websites also say ALL Ram Sports had the 3.90 (?) Ratio, I obviously don't trust them to provide accurate HP or torque numbers either.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:35 AM
VandelayIndustries
CF Senior Member

Old 02-09-2019, 11:38 AM
repo
CF Senior Member

St Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by 427 Z View Post
he's not buying anything
hence my post.
you are an idiot or a troll.
Or both as mentioned above.
Originally Posted by MAD IN NC View Post
..... but then we will miss his ADD posts on cars
Don't worry he will find something else to post non stop about daily.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TorchRedRocket View Post
Post a pic of your preapproval? Black out the personal information.
Dude, I'm not blacking out personal documents for peeps on the internet. sorry.

If you want to answer some technical questions (about the diff. Durability on these and what kind of diff, is the 8H70 (?) a good, durable trans, hp and torque #s, etc), I would greatly appreciate your expertise. If not, then that's fine too.

I am what I say I am. A guy who made the biggest mistake in the world buying my C5. I had no idea 1997-2000 C5s have no SWPS available, no EBCMs available (and prone to failure), leaky butt differentials, etc. I love my C5. It's been great. But its caused me tons of anxiety because I worry the EBCM might suddenly break and Im SOL.

I got ripped the F off on my house. Bought a POS Ryan Home. It has cost me thousands in unnecessary repairs due to shoddy craftsmanship.

I made mistakes with the 2 most expensive things I've ever purchased. I'm trying not to F up a 3rd time. If you could help, much appreciated. If you just want to be a c-sing ******* like Lars is being and make me feel like shyt because I made mistakes in the past, admit I made mistakes, and am trying not to make them again, then just leave me alone and leave this thread.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:47 AM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,805 Times in 3,333 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I have seen a couple of them come across the lot at our local dealer. Nice looking truck if you want that in your face color (I happen to like it) but noting worth spending extra money on IMO.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by repo View Post
hence my post.

Or both as mentioned above.

Don't worry he will find something else to post non stop about daily.
You're obsessed with me. Seriously. You like the c-ck or something? I don't roll that way, bro. But good luck in finding what you're searching for.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack View Post
I have seen a couple of them come across the lot at our local dealer. Nice looking truck if you want that in your face color (I happen to like it) but noting worth spending extra money on IMO.
Normally I wouldn't spend extra on a color package, but I think it's the nicest looking truck I've ever seen.

Several thousand extra over a base Tradesman with 0 miles though. It's a tough call. But I keep my cars forever, so I'm trying to justify it by saying if i do buy it, its worth it because I'll be staring at it for 20 years...
Old 02-09-2019, 11:55 AM
ptindall
CF Senior Member

I know, but when you look at it, visually, it looks like a quad cab. It looks way bigger than a crew cab. Could be an optical illusion, but it just doesn't look nearly as small as a crew cab.
'

That's why I'm so fing confused. That sticker says 3.21 ratio. A number of websites said the RamSport automatically came with a 3.90 (?) ratio. But I'm wondering if the axle ratio upgrade was part of the option package noted on the sticker, but possibly not listed specifically under the sport package option upgrade.

As for the 8H70 (?) 8-speed trans...is that a good unit? I know literally nothing about trans except the 4L60Es, 4L65Es,4L80Es, etc...essentially, I know nothing about trans except GM transmissions.

Does this use a Getrag diff? I have heard they are the best (the ones used on C5s for instance--despite leaking on C5s--but that's another matter). If not, is the differential a good, durable unit on these?

Sticker does not list HP/torque figures. Since the websites also say ALL Ram Sports had the 3.90 (?) Ratio, I obviously don't trust them to provide accurate HP or torque numbers either.

A guy who made the biggest mistake in the world buying my C5. I had no idea 1997-2000 C5s have no SWPS available, no EBCMs available (and prone to failure), leaky butt differentials, etc. I love my C5. It's been great. But its caused me tons of anxiety because I worry the EBCM might suddenly break and Im SOL.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:01 PM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
'

You do understand a broken EBCM kicks on a check engine light, right? PA has annual safety inspections. To the best of my knowledge, you can't pass my states safety inspection with a CEL. Meaning if the EBCM breaks, I can't pass inspection, can't get stickers, and therefore, can't legally drive it in my state. And that's numerous to you, how?
Old 02-09-2019, 12:09 PM
TorchRedRocket
CF Senior Member

If you want to answer some technical questions (about the diff. Durability on these and what kind of diff, is the 8H70 (?) a good, durable trans, hp and torque #s, etc), I would greatly appreciate your expertise. If not, then that's fine too.

I am what I say I am. A guy who made the biggest mistake in the world buying my C5. I had no idea 1997-2000 C5s have no SWPS available, no EBCMs available (and prone to failure), leaky butt differentials, etc. I love my C5. It's been great. But its caused me tons of anxiety because I worry the EBCM might suddenly break and Im SOL.

I got ripped the F off on my house. Bought a POS Ryan Home. It has cost me thousands in unnecessary repairs due to shoddy craftsmanship.

I made mistakes with the 2 most expensive things I've ever purchased. I'm trying not to F up a 3rd time. If you could help, much appreciated. If you just want to be a c-sing ******* like Lars is being and make me feel like shyt because I made mistakes in the past, admit I made mistakes, and am trying not to make them again, then just leave me alone and leave this thread.

Thanks.
The 8 speed in the ram since 2013 is actually a german made ZF transmission that is put in BMW's and Audi's. It has proven to be very reliable and one of the stronger points of the newer Rams. You dont have to worry about the trans like Chryslers of years past.

The sport I believe should come with 3.92's standard yes. Base would be 3.21. 3.92's will give you more punch of the line for sure, but you arent towing anything so 3.21's are perfectly fine for a DD. 3.21's will net you a smidge better fuel economy on the highway too.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:12 PM
ptindall
CF Senior Member

You do understand a broken EBCM kicks on a check engine light, right? PA has annual safety inspections. To the best of my knowledge, you can't pass my states safety inspection with a CEL. Meaning if the EBCM breaks, I can't pass inspection, can't get stickers, and therefore, can't legally drive it in my state. And that's numerous to you, how?
Because it hasn't even happened. If it did, you just buy another one from a salvage yard or wherever. Big deal. You act like it would mean you would have to take the car to the dump and pay to get rid of it. This failure that you're scared might happen would cost you a couple grand at most, therefor you call buying the car, "the biggest mistake in the world." You are ridiculous.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:15 PM
ptindall
CF Senior Member

The 8 speed in the ram since 2013 is actually a german made ZF transmission that is put in BMW's and Audi's. It has proven to be very reliable and one of the stronger points of the newer Rams. You dont have to worry about the trans like Chryslers of years past.

The sport I believe should come with 3.92's standard yes. Base would be 3.21. 3.92's will give you more punch of the line for sure, but you arent towing anything so 3.21's are perfectly fine for a DD. 3.21's will net you a smidge better fuel economy on the highway too.
But what about the diff??? Who made it and what is its reputation??!!! If it has a worse word of mouth reputation than the Ford diff, then deal is off! Slo isn't going to make the greatest mistake in the history of human kind by buying a truck with a second rate diff. No sir! Ohhh... but it has the greatest color combination ever applied to anything.

Last edited by ptindall; 02-09-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:19 PM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Because it hasn't even happened. If it did, you just buy another one from a salvage yard or wherever. Big deal. You act like it would mean you would have to take the car to the dump and pay to get rid of it. This failure that you're scared might happen would cost you a couple grand at most, therefor you call buying the car, "the biggest mistake in the world." You are ridiculous.
Oh really? You just buy a used EBCM? You know half of the used ones for 1997-2000 C5s don't work after they're installed, right? And there is no way to tell if it works until you install it. You can't "bench test" them.

Second...you need to pay $2k+ just for the privilege of seeing if a unit works. And if it doesn't, then what? Buy another $2k unit (if you can even find it) and pray that it works?

So yes, if it fails suddenly on mine, and they do fail suddenly--just look in C5 section), the car can't pass inspection in my state, can't be registered, and can't be driven. And then how the F do you see it having any value, any value whatsoever, at that point? You can't sell it without stickers, and no dealer in the world would buy it after learning it's a failed EBCM and reslisticslly, cannot be fixed without a major search for a replacement and sprayers that the replacement unit works.

So please tell me how it wouldn't essentially cut the cars value by half (or more) if the fing stupid little electronic box suddenly shyt itself?
Old 02-09-2019, 12:26 PM
ptindall
CF Senior Member

Oh really? You just buy a used EBCM? You know half of the used ones for 1997-2000 C5s don't work after they're installed, right? And there is no way to tell if it works until you install it. You can't "bench test" them.

Second...you need to pay $2k+ just for the privilege of seeing if a unit works. And if it doesn't, then what? Buy another $2k unit (if you can even find it) and pray that it works?

So yes, if it fails suddenly on mine, and they do fail suddenly--just look in C5 section), the car can't pass inspection in my state, can't be registered, and can't be driven. And then how the F do you see it having any value, any value whatsoever, at that point? You can't sell it without stickers, and no dealer in the world would buy it after learning it's a failed EBCM and reslisticslly, cannot be fixed without a major search for a replacement and sprayers that the replacement unit works.

So please tell me how it wouldn't essentially cut the cars value by half (or more) if the fing stupid little electronic box suddenly shyt itself?
Why is everything that is so easy for the rest of us so difficult for you? Besides, let's assume your worst fear comes true and it fails. And you are to scared to actually fix the problem because everything is incredibly difficult for you. And you are correct that it loses half its value. You are out a whopping $5,000. Your new truck is guaranteed to lose that in a couple years even if nothing breaks because of something called depreciation. Your fear of maybe losing $5000 is, "the biggest mistake in the world," but being assured of losing $5000 on a truck painted for Halloween is ******* genius.

Last edited by ptindall; 02-09-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Thank you.

Is that a Getrag differential?

Also, that individual truck I posted...why does the window sticker say 3.21 if it has 3.92 as part of the option package? I was always under the understanding that when they list final #s on your sticker, that's what THAT unit has. I just don't get why the sticker says 3.21 if its 3.92.

That individual unit, on the gauge cluster picture, shows 13.5 mpg (if I recall) based on the 8k miles it's been driven. You think the previous owner beat the shyt out of it? Seems like really low mpg, even for that Ram. I would have thought closer to 20 mpg overall.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:32 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Thanks.
If you think buying a C5 corvette is the biggest mistake in the world, you have a lot of growing up to do. And you didn’t get ripped off on your house purchase. You bought a tract house. Not a custom. And even a custom can have problems. Neither are immune to market conditions. That includes the guy who’s upside down on a multi million dollar home.

You are living in the house right? Driving the corvette right?
We live in an imperfect and often evil world.
Suck it up buttercup.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Why is everything that is so easy for the rest of us so difficult for you? Besides, let's assume your worst fear comes true and it fails. And you are to scared to actually fix the problem because everything is incredibly difficult for you. And you are correct that it loses half its value. You are out a whopping $5,000. Your new truck is guaranteed to lose that in a couple years even if nothing breaks because of something called depreciation. Your fear of maybe losing $5000 is, "the biggest mistake in the world," but being assured of losing $5000 on a truck painted for Halloween is ******* genius.
Lose half the value is $5k on the C5? I bought it for $20k (it only had 17k miles on it). Put $3-4k into it (changed all fluids, bought Radioflyer lights, used C5 Z06 rims, new water pump, new ATI harmonic balancer, etc) before I even really understood this EBCM nightmare.

So no, I'd be losing more like half of $25k+. If not more than half. And I've driven it all of 5k miles so far. G forbid that POS breaks,I'm fed. Out like $15k or more for a few thousand miles of driving. So yeah, it is a major concern. Not all of us are able to fix cars on the cheap. It becomes a major problem if I can't drive it, but also can't sell it.

I don't understand why you think its comical to rip on me for something that would make the car virtually unsellable and worthless if some POS electronic component breaks.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:39 PM
ptindall
CF Senior Member

Lose half the value is $5k on the C5? I bought it for $20k (it only had 17k miles on it). Put $3-4k into it (changed all fluids, bought Radioflyer lights, used C5 Z06 rims, new water pump, new ATI harmonic balancer, etc) before I even really understood this EBCM nightmare.

So no, I'd be losing more like half of $25k+. If not more than half. And I've driven it all of 5k miles so far. G forbid that POS breaks,I'm fed. Out like $15k or more for a few thousand miles of driving. So yeah, it is a major concern. Not all of us are able to fix cars on the cheap. It becomes a major problem if I can't drive it, but also can't sell it.

I don't understand why you think its comical to rip on me for something that would make the car virtually unsellable and worthless if some POS electronic component breaks.
Ummm, your car is worth a whole lot closer to $10,000 than $25,000 and you can't blame that on your perfectly functioning EBCM. I think your constant use of outrageous overstatement is comical no matter the subject.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Last Ram thread? What is this special edition Ram!

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: