Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Post-Cataract Surgery Sensitivity To Light.

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Old 02-09-2019, 01:13 PM
NBM LS1 M6
CF Senior Member

Location: I helped our former POSOTUS return the wealth of America to its rightful owners one parcel of real e
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default Post-Cataract Surgery Sensitivity To Light.

I did not fully experience this after the first surgery just before Christmas, but after the surgery on the dominant eye about a month ago. this seems like a real issue. Will this start to go away and back to normal soon and/or after time?

The real issue right now is trying to read sitting around the house.

I had my last visit with the doctor thee weeks ago. He used the word "perfect" to describe the results of the surgery. I need no glasses for distance or driving any longer, and sunglasses solve the bright light problem during the day driving. I bought some yellow sun glasses to try for night glare. Have not tries those yet.

Your thoughts are welcome.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Car Fan
CF Senior Member

My dad had both eyes done last year and doesn't really have any sensitivity issues. Other than outside in bright daylight but that is fixed with some cheap sunglasses..
Old 02-09-2019, 02:44 PM
NBM LS1 M6
CF Senior Member

Location: I helped our former POSOTUS return the wealth of America to its rightful owners one parcel of real e

Inexpensive sun glasses work great for me. Everything is very clear. It is reading indoors. I have all around Rx progressive lenses now. It is all about the glare when reading. I have Rx computer glasses coming next week. Those were very expensive. Using existing frames, they were $379 after Medicare picked up about $175. They include an antiglare coating specifically for reducing glare from the computer screen.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,910 Times in 3,421 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

My wife had cataract surgery this last fall and had a little sensitivity to light at first, but it went away after a couple of days.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:02 PM
6spdC6
CF Senior Member

Location: A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake in the "Peoples Republic" of upper NY state http://www.visitsacandaga.com/

Had both eyes done and no problems like you report. I do have to be careful out doors as a couple of the script drugs I take can make your eyes super sensitive to bright light. Good thing I'm retired and do not have to weld any more!
Old 02-09-2019, 05:11 PM
1bdvet
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,366 Times in 1,266 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Going March 5 for left eye, and two weeks later for the right eye, guess time will see if I have these problems, at least I will be aware of it now!
Old 02-09-2019, 05:36 PM
Car Fan
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1bdvet View Post
Going March 5 for left eye, and two weeks later for the right eye, guess time will see if I have these problems, at least I will be aware of it now!
Good luck, my dad's only regret was not getting it done a lot sooner than he did.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:40 PM
GCD1962
CF Senior Member

Standard surgery corrects only distance or close-up. Most go for distance and then need reading glasses to read and close-up. My wife paid extra for a procedure (and lenses) that correct both. that cost extra as medicare does not cover that procedure. Cost was $7,500
Old 02-09-2019, 06:07 PM
Larry82
CF Senior Member

Seems like it is early for this, but you can develop what is called a secondary cataract, which is really just the back side of the capsule that held the cataract that was removed. Very common. Called a secondary cataract. Can cause glare around lights at night and inside. Simple one minute process to have doc blast the secondary cataract with a laser. Basically, opens up the back side of the capsule. Had to have it some on both of my eyes that had cataracts removed, but about a decade after the cataract itself.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:40 PM
1bdvet
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,366 Times in 1,266 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Car Fan View Post
Good luck, my dad's only regret was not getting it done a lot sooner than he did.
I agree with your Dad, cause after my examinations the Doctor told me my eyes are ready, and didn't believe him cause what I have been seeing seemed normal eye vision, but when he told me all things I see, and specially at night time with headlights. and street lamps, wow I realize my eye's are truly bad, and can't wait get this done so I can see again properly. Only thing I was told is getting eye drops in my eyes, which I hate but practicing to put the drops in the eye, but for now they run down the cheek.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:35 PM
jcsperson
CF Senior Member

NC Events Coordinator

My lens replacement surgery was due to blunt force trauma. In addition to a new lens, I had a vitrectomy (replacement of the vitreous humor due to debris in my eye), and retinal laser repair.

One aspect of my injury is that my iris is stuck open, so naturally I'm more sensitive to light. I wear sunglasses most days unless it is very overcast. I wear a ball cap indoors at work because the fluorescents are just too bright. This is likely more or less a permanent thing.

Three weeks post-op:

The swelling was from the surgeries. The actual injury was months ago.

One thing I noticed is that I no longer knew what white was. White objects in my brand new right eye are now WHIIITE! When I close that eye and look at them with my 63 year-old left eye, they appear to be a dingy yellow. All colors look brighter through my right eye.

[Yes I know it looks like my left eye in the photo, but it was taken in the mirror.]
Old 02-10-2019, 10:39 AM
oldgoat99
CF Senior Member

Does the light sensitivity help with UFO searches at night?

Seriously though, my wife had that problem. She had to go in and the doctor zapped her with a laser. Now she's totally blind. Just kidding, that fixed it.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Olustee bus
CF Senior Member

I had previously had lasix so my doctor said it would be hard to get back the vision I had before the operation. It did make my vision poor. He said everything was perfect. He was very defensive and a real ***. I asked if I could get Lasix again and he replied very uncaringlingly, Nope! I have much sensitivity to light and I have glare at night.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:58 AM
weathermaker
CF Senior Member

My cousin had a big problem with light sensitivity. Went for second opinion, said nothing could be done but should clear up. Took 3-4 months but all is well. He will not have second eye done.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:52 PM
ThePirate
CF Senior Member

If you are still using the prescription eye drops, everything will clear up when you stop. If no drops, still takes time to get eyeball back to normal. I also had secondary cataracts and just about 2 months after cataract surgery. Doc zapped them with YAG laser and that stopped that condition (what they do is zap a hole through the capsule allowing normal amount of light to pass through to the retina) but gave me so many floaters ( the remnants of the capsule after being zapped) that 7-8 yrs. later I had a vitrectomy on my right eye that got rid of them. Left eye still has a lot of floaters but I don't want to go through another vitrectomy.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:25 PM
jcsperson
CF Senior Member

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by ThePirate View Post
If you are still using the prescription eye drops, everything will clear up when you stop. If no drops, still takes time to get eyeball back to normal. I also had secondary cataracts and just about 2 months after cataract surgery. Doc zapped them with YAG laser and that stopped that condition (what they do is zap a hole through the capsule allowing normal amount of light to pass through to the retina) but gave me so many floaters ( the remnants of the capsule after being zapped) that 7-8 yrs. later I had a vitrectomy on my right eye that got rid of them. Left eye still has a lot of floaters but I don't want to go through another vitrectomy.
Nope. That was no fun at all. It'll be 4 weeks tomorrow since the surgery and the swelling, itchiness and soreness are just now starting to die down.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 PM
Larry82
CF Senior Member

I had pieces of the capsule floating around for about 10+ days and then suddenly they were gone. Not a dark floater. A clear type floater.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:33 PM
F4Gary
CF Senior Member

2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by weathermaker View Post
My cousin had a big problem with light sensitivity. Went for second opinion, said nothing could be done but should clear up. Took 3-4 months but all is well. He will not have second eye done.
So he is just going to let that eye go blind?
Old 02-11-2019, 12:03 PM
NBM LS1 M6
CF Senior Member

At this point the sun glasses they gave me immediately after the surgery solve all problems with glare in day time driving and yell ski glasses help with nigh vision glare. Using the computer with Rx glasses is okay, and my vision for those things is very sharp and clear. Computer glasses with anti-glare coating and blue light filter will arrive next week. My only problem right now is a certain amount of glare with reading eyes watering quite a bit. At the sane time as the printed page is very clear and sharp, I am having trouble reading it on books.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Dave1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by NBM LS1 M6 View Post
At this point the sun glasses they gave me immediately after the surgery solve all problems with glare in day time driving and yell ski glasses help with nigh vision glare. Using the computer with Rx glasses is okay, and my vision for those things is very sharp and clear. Computer glasses with anti-glare coating and blue light filter will arrive next week. My only problem right now is a certain amount of glare with reading eyes watering quite a bit. At the sane time as the printed page is very clear and sharp, I am having trouble reading it on books.
God is punishing you for posting your ridiculous click bait video links.....

Don't mess with God NBM.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Post-Cataract Surgery Sensitivity To Light.

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: