Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Pedal Commander

 
Old 02-11-2019, 03:43 AM
  #1  
Zeliti
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Zeliti's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2019
Location: North Bergen
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Pedal Commander

I just saw a video on Youtube for this product https://10carbest.com/pedal-commander-review I have never used one before and not sure if I ever will. I was curious if any of you guys have had any experience with it?


Last edited by Zeliti; 02-14-2019 at 02:30 AM.
Zeliti is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 AM
  #2  
grandpawmoses
CF Senior Member
 
grandpawmoses's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: Center of the Universe, Alabama
Posts: 7,285
Thanked 68 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Repeating his approval:
"That's so cool. I'm a happy camper".

What more can you ask for?
grandpawmoses is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM
  #3  
TwoSmoke
CF Senior Member
 
TwoSmoke's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Sugarcane town Florida
Posts: 12,849
Thanks: 0
Thanked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Default

I prefer my foot.
TwoSmoke is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:47 AM
  #4  
scottycards
CF Senior Member
 
scottycards's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Location: Constitutional Peasant Tucson AZ
Posts: 12,683
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
Default

All it does is boost the throttle signal.

Pressing the pedal does the exact same thing.

Dumbest product of all time.
scottycards is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 AM
  #5  
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore
Support Corvetteforum!
 
VegasJen's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2001
Location: Press "2" for English
Posts: 27,374
Thanked 59 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
All it does is boost the throttle signal.

Pressing the pedal does the exact same thing.

Dumbest product of all time.
I don't know about that. My '12 6-speed Sonic has the "fly by wire" throttle and it pisses me off to no end. In the summer when I'm running the A/C, I can be sitting at a light. When the light turns green, I press the gas but the engine nearly dies (sometimes it does) because the RPM don't come up as I press the accelerator. I'm sure it's some EPA bullshit, but there's a very noticeable lag between the time the pedal is pressed and the time engine speed increases.
VegasJen is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:14 AM
  #6  
flange
CF Senior Member
 
flange's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: resting comfortably in my mind
Posts: 15,147
Thanked 36 Times in 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default

So you joined this month to post your product and hope to boost sales? even funnier that its a version for a ram since there are nine threads about rams lately.
flange is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:27 AM
  #7  
davepl
CF Senior Member
 
davepl's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Redmond WA
Posts: 8,588
Thanked 1,417 Times in 947 Posts
Default

A product like this is all over the C7 forums. I could actually see buying one for a Silverado, which has a terrible default throttle map, or even an M7 Z06 which is grim off idle. But there's nothing here you can't learn to do with your foot instinctively pretty quickly.
davepl is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 AM
  #8  
scottycards
CF Senior Member
 
scottycards's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Location: Constitutional Peasant Tucson AZ
Posts: 12,683
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
Default

Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
I don't know about that. My '12 6-speed Sonic has the "fly by wire" throttle and it pisses me off to no end. In the summer when I'm running the A/C, I can be sitting at a light. When the light turns green, I press the gas but the engine nearly dies (sometimes it does) because the RPM don't come up as I press the accelerator. I'm sure it's some EPA bullshit, but there's a very noticeable lag between the time the pedal is pressed and the time engine speed increases.
Drop a couple hundred on a Pedal Commander and let us know how that works out for you.

It's a bullshit product. My Lexus has a "Power" driving mode, does the same thing- boosts the throttle signal. There's no extra power, no extra torque. Exact same result as pressing the pedal further. It just makes the throttle tip-in a little more touchy. Nothing more.

OP post is :
scottycards is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:46 AM
  #9  
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!
 
dvarapala's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 29,856
Thanked 65 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flange View Post
So you joined this month to post your product and hope to boost sales?
You've heard of the term "shill," haven't you?
dvarapala is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:09 AM
  #10  
Cygnus
CF Senior Member
 
Cygnus's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: San Francisco's North Bay California
Posts: 3,404
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I use a different brand on my Mustang GT and GT 350. They make a huge difference as Ford has the worst drive by wire lag there is. Never felt the need to install one on either of the vettes though.
Cygnus is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:27 AM
  #11  
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore
Support Corvetteforum!
 
VegasJen's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2001
Location: Press "2" for English
Posts: 27,374
Thanked 59 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
Drop a couple hundred on a Pedal Commander and let us know how that works out for you.

It's a bullshit product. My Lexus has a "Power" driving mode, does the same thing- boosts the throttle signal. There's no extra power, no extra torque. Exact same result as pressing the pedal further. It just makes the throttle tip-in a little more touchy. Nothing more.

OP post is :
I'm not going to be dropping any coin on dude's product, but there is a need. I would challenge Cygnus on Ford's fly by wire being the worst there is. Absolutely hate not having a mechanical link between my right foot and the throttle blade.

As it stands, if I ever get off my *** I have a finger switch I plan to install on my transmission linkage. Just going to kill the signal to the A/C compressor any time the trans is in first gear. I'll see how that works. $5 for a switch is a lot cheaper than a tune or "Pedal Commander". And if it doesn't make a difference, I'm only out $5.
VegasJen is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 AM
  #12  
scottycards
CF Senior Member
 
scottycards's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Location: Constitutional Peasant Tucson AZ
Posts: 12,683
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
Default

Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post

As it stands, if I ever get off my *** I have a finger switch I plan to install on my transmission linkage. Just going to kill the signal to the A/C compressor any time the trans is in first gear. I'll see how that works. $5 for a switch is a lot cheaper than a tune or "Pedal Commander". And if it doesn't make a difference, I'm only out $5.
Nice. I remember the old "Pass Master" device that was an AC bypass that was vacuum actuated. It was a switch that would disable the AC so that the car had more power available when intake manifold vacuum dropped.

When I was a little kid, I helped my Dad install one on his 1973 C3. Nail the throttle, and the AC would cut out until there was enough vacuum in the manifold to run the compressor again.

I think you'll actually notice a real gain in available HP with your $5 mod.

Link to pass master info, if you're interested: https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe/...es=1&ZyEntry=1
scottycards is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:36 PM
  #13  
Cygnus
CF Senior Member
 
Cygnus's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: San Francisco's North Bay California
Posts: 3,404
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
I'm not going to be dropping any coin on dude's product, but there is a need. I would challenge Cygnus on Ford's fly by wire being the worst there is. Absolutely hate not having a mechanical link between my right foot and the throttle blade.

As it stands, if I ever get off my *** I have a finger switch I plan to install on my transmission linkage. Just going to kill the signal to the A/C compressor any time the trans is in first gear. I'll see how that works. $5 for a switch is a lot cheaper than a tune or "Pedal Commander". And if it doesn't make a difference, I'm only out $5.
There is actually someone making cars with worse lag? I've driven turbo cars made in the 80's that had less lag than my 350 had when I bought it.
Cygnus is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM
  #14  
Swany00
CF Senior Member
 
Swany00's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Sacramento Ca
Posts: 71,862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Default

so this isn't legit?
Swany00 is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM
  #15  
The Creeper
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
The Creeper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,726
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Craptastic!
The Creeper is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:51 PM
  #16  
flange
CF Senior Member
 
flange's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: resting comfortably in my mind
Posts: 15,147
Thanked 36 Times in 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default

Originally Posted by Swany00 View Post
so this isn't legit?
Well, technically its legit, but probably unnecessary. In lieu of pushing your throttle down harder it ramps the voltage to the control faster, essentially changing the responsiveness. I suspect it can make the vehicle seem more responsive, but it doesn't add any horsepower or anything like that.
flange is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM
  #17  
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!
 
dvarapala's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 29,856
Thanked 65 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Swany00 View Post
so this isn't legit?
It's the gas pedal equivalent of The Turbonator.
dvarapala is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:00 PM
  #18  
Cygnus
CF Senior Member
 
Cygnus's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: San Francisco's North Bay California
Posts: 3,404
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flange View Post
Well, technically its legit, but probably unnecessary. In lieu of pushing your throttle down harder it ramps the voltage to the control faster, essentially changing the responsiveness. I suspect it can make the vehicle seem more responsive, but it doesn't add any horsepower or anything like that.
I don't use the brand the OP named, but I use a similar device in both Mustangs and it does remove the pedal lag (drive by wire). The product that I use made no claims about HP or anything other than eliminating the lag and it does that perfectly.

Whether eliminating the pedal lag is necessary or not, I would say that it depends on the person. If you don't mind it, no need to drop a few hundred bucks. For me, the lag was annoying and worth every cent spent to get rid of it.
Cygnus is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 03:26 AM
  #19  
ojm
CF Senior Member
 
ojm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2015
Location: here
Posts: 4,064
Thanked 73 Times in 60 Posts
Default

So if I use that video for example I could set my carb on my old truck higher and get the same nonsense....just higher rev what the hell is improved? except less money in our wallet.
ojm is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:38 AM
  #20  
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Jughead's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.Build the WALL!
Posts: 72,769
Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default

This sounds similar to the Vitesse controller, which works.
Jughead is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pedal Commander


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: