Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

So what happens if your outdoor tap freezes?

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

So what happens if your outdoor tap freezes?

Old 02-11-2019, 02:57 PM
TJay74
CF Senior Member

Frost proof taps can still freeze and rupture inside the wall, I know from personal experience last year. I had the hoses disconnected on our house. Contractor came by and used the water, hooked the hose back up and left it on. When the turned the water off they never bleed the line. Then we had cold snap, line froze and ruptured the stem inside of the wall right where it thread into the water manifold block. Wife then turned the hose on in the spring and flooded our entire kitchen out.

Now I make sure all lines are removed and the faucets have covers on them.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:59 PM
mrscott25
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Here's a pic - I had no idea, so thanks Flange! I also don't think I have that much depth, but I might!

The problem comes when you get a freeze in the 6-30 " area because water did not drain out. A hard freeze and the pipe splits. No problem until you open the valve and water runs out inside the wall through the split pipe.

Commonly happens 1: Plumber installed with an upward slope 2: slow leaking valve 3. leaving the garden hose attached in cold weather.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:01 PM
04 commemorative
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '17

just turn off the water to the outside faucets and drain the pipe
Old 02-11-2019, 03:02 PM
ojm
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Frost proof taps can still freeze and rupture inside the wall, I know from personal experience last year. I had the hoses disconnected on our house. Contractor came by and used the water, hooked the hose back up and left it on. When the turned the water off they never bleed the line. Then we had cold snap, line froze and ruptured the stem inside of the wall right where it thread into the water manifold block. Wife then turned the hose on in the spring and flooded our entire kitchen out.

Now I make sure all lines are removed and the faucets have covers on them.

Well the hose was left on defeats the safeguard. Not really the FF tap to blame.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:07 PM
ojm
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative View Post
just turn off the water to the outside faucets and drain the pipe
say what, tap off ,what water is there to drain?
Old 02-11-2019, 03:17 PM
FLEXjs
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ojm View Post
say what, tap off ,what water is there to drain?
The water that's already in there. Once you turn off the water from inside the house you still have to go open the faucet to let the water out.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Lee C
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FLEXjs View Post
The water that's already in there. Once you turn off the water from inside the house you still have to go open the faucet to let the water out.
This is what I do never a problem
Old 02-11-2019, 03:43 PM
MidLifeinMI
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mrscott25 View Post
The problem comes when you get a freeze in the 6-30 " area because water did not drain out. A hard freeze and the pipe splits. No problem until you open the valve and water runs out inside the wall through the split pipe.

Commonly happens 1: Plumber installed with an upward slope 2: slow leaking valve 3. leaving the garden hose attached in cold weather.
This.

I had #3 happen several years ago. It was our first house with the freeze-resistant faucets (previous house had basement ball valves that you shut off, then opened the outside tap to drain), so I didn't know that I needed to disconnect the hose. All seemed fine until I turned on the faucet, and my wife came outside yelling that water was pouring into the basement. Learned my lesson there; fortunately the basement was unfinished so no real damage other than replacing the split pipe..

Last edited by MidLifeinMI; 02-11-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:46 PM
LayZ
CF Senior Member

Ok, so I know all the jokes because I've been a plummer for 50 years now.
Thanks! So outdoor taps are actually special somehow in that the shutoff mechanism is further inside? A diagram would be handy if anyone knows what to search for (besides outdoor tap)...
You were a plummer for 50 yrs?

Last edited by LayZ; 02-11-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:56 PM
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17-'18

I never said that. Even so, I did have a life before going back to school though. I've worked in hardware (like Ace) for about 10 years, worked in paint stores for a few. Cut window glass which is a bit of an art and I got pretty decent (but nothing like my Dad, who was a virtuoso with a scribe and a break).

Hell, I worked the graveyard shift at 7-Eleven, I'm not proud. I never claimed to be some baller, that's a narrative from someone else - I grew up in a 930 square foot house. I still have my first baseball glove, football, bat, car, and wife. I'm a high school dropout immigrant.

And yes, I can accomplish most plumbing tasks, but am not now, nor have I ever been, nor claimed to be, a professional plumber. But I did just get called out this morning to work with the fire department on a broken pipe, actually. If you guys spent more time asking questions and less trying for lame flames, you'd learn interesting stuff.
Like fish in a barrel.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:58 PM
ojm
CF Senior Member

I had another look , there was another valve alright.....but was thinking outside tap should have the vac part, all works anyway.
It's a contractor built home so done on the cheap. I mainly needed a good size yard for the dog.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:41 PM
Voytek
CF Senior Member

I started a thread on this subject last year. Lemme find it.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Voytek
CF Senior Member

Old 02-11-2019, 07:16 PM
TorchRedRocket
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
so you're related to Jake?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

I never said that. Even so, I did have a life before going back to school though. I've worked in hardware (like Ace) for about 10 years, worked in paint stores for a few. Cut window glass which is a bit of an art and I got pretty decent (but nothing like my Dad, who was a virtuoso with a scribe and a break).

Hell, I worked the graveyard shift at 7-Eleven, I'm not proud. I never claimed to be some baller, that's a narrative from someone else - I grew up in a 930 square foot house. I still have my first baseball glove, football, bat, car, and wife. I'm a high school dropout immigrant.

And yes, I can accomplish most plumbing tasks, but am not now, nor have I ever been, nor claimed to be, a professional plumber. But I did just get called out this morning to work with the fire department on a broken pipe, actually. If you guys spent more time asking questions and less trying for lame flames, you'd learn interesting stuff.
I'll agree with that much; but, you did say this "I've been a plummer for 50 years now". Now, there's a big damn difference between saying "I've been a plummer..." and saying "I've done some plumbing now for over 50 years". But, in your case I still think the chit is getting too damn deep for me to risk hanging around any longer . . .
Old 02-12-2019, 12:00 AM
BOTYNV1
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

*plumber.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:08 AM
Murray Anderson
CF Senior Member

Isn’t his last name Plummer ? And he’s 50. You guys are really dropping the ball lately. No wonder he doesn’t like anyone here
Old 02-12-2019, 12:09 AM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BadUmp View Post
1) What kind of plumbing did you do for Microsoft?

2) Wouldn't someone with 50 years of experience know how to spell "plumber" ???

3) Every year I forget to close the water valve and open my outside tap and other than wrecking a hose and/or nozzle I've never had any issues. But I have a finished/heated basement so that's probably why.
Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE View Post
A self proclaimed *plumber coming to OT to ask a plumbing question...................you can't make this chit up..................well I guess you can
Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE View Post
Originally Posted by ojm View Post
Just bought a new home, the 2 outside taps do not have a vac break? guess will cover for now.They look like normal taps not frost free.

Had a home inspector no mention of taps? are new homes coded to have FF outside taps?

We have had frost but not frozen, knock on wood(my head)

ps surely a plumber knows of the long stem FF taps.
Originally Posted by LayZ View Post
You were a plummer for 50 yrs?
Originally Posted by BadUmp View Post
I'll agree with that much; but, you did say this "I've been a plummer for 50 years now". Now, there's a big damn difference between saying "I've been a plummer..." and saying "I've done some plumbing now for over 50 years". But, in your case I still think the chit is getting too damn deep for me to risk hanging around any longer . . .
You dipshits if you're going to troll him at least try to remember what he has told us.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:11 AM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Murray Anderson View Post
Isnít his last name Plummer ? And heís 50. You guys are really dropping the ball lately. No wonder he doesnít like anyone here
You gave up the joke too easily!
Old 02-12-2019, 12:14 AM
Murray Anderson
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post
You gave up the joke too easily!
Iím hoping he gets bored. 12 days was last week some time :kickdirt:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So what happens if your outdoor tap freezes?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: