Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

When you decide to track down a long lost friend....

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

When you decide to track down a long lost friend....

Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM
hendrix68
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16
Default When you decide to track down a long lost friend....

And you find out that they died in a car accident in 2012. Makes for a shitty morning...even though I donít really feel deserving to feel bad. Life is fleeting. R.I.P. Michelle.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:57 PM
SpecialTreatmentNeece
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Sorry about your friend. You never know when your time will come, so better stay in the moment where life is taking place.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:05 PM
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

Turn your back and life rushes past without warning. Stay in contact and surprises are limited. Sorry for your loss. Life is a journey of surprises.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:15 PM
RandolphB
CF Senior Member

Spent years trying to re-connect with one person. Tracked down their kid and requested they forward my contact info- instead I got a boatload of Obama BS when they added my name to a bunch of mailing lists. Made contact a second time and the kid said "I forgot". Found another route to the person...only to find he had died only a few months before. Stupid damn kid.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:23 PM
themonk
CF Senior Member

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

that sucks but what can you do.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:30 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

I believe in the Beer Fairy

I've had more than a few of these things lately. Not so much long lost folks, but I'm not what I consider "old" (low 50s) so having friends leave this earth under the circumstances they have is quite disconcerting. 2 of my closest lifelong friends in the past 3 years, and also some classmates from HS, or others in that same age range. Does everyone find they've got a preponderance of accidental death of folks they've known?

It actually makes me take pause and reassess what I'm doing with my own life. Chasing a carrot and I'm not sure for what. I try to make time to interact with people I've run across during my life, visit and such. But as much as I try, inevitably you lose touch with folks and it's always a wake up call that life is fleeting. I'm not sure how to strike a balance for all the responsibilities, but if someone knows how, I'm all ears.

Sorry for your loss Hendrix.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:53 PM
PKguitar
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18

Back in October, the magic of the internet provided me unexpectedly with contact information for a former coworker from the mid '90s, Mary. I sent her an e-mail saying I still was in contact with Greg, and the three of us should get lunch. She said OK, and as a surprise, I wanted to see if I could get Duncan to join us, because he had been friends with all of us back in the day. It turns out that Duncan passed away in 2013.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:01 PM
VandelayIndustries
CF Senior Member

Yep, it's kind of a weird feeling. I learned a few months ago that my best friend/next door neighbor from grade school died of cancer about 4 years ago. His family moved when we were in Jr. high and although we kept in touch for a while, we lost track of each other after a year or two...
Old 02-11-2019, 02:36 PM
ojm
CF Senior Member

My best friend and neighbor for 15 years moved,sad also. Good friends are hard to find, for me anyway.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:03 PM
04 commemorative
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '17

I always said....it's one date you will not be late for.....sorry about your friend
Old 02-11-2019, 05:42 PM
mgafun
CF Senior Member

Had just the opposite experience today. Tried to find the obit of one listed at the school as died in 2008. Turns out he's alive and well in NC.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:23 PM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

A year or so ago, a former retired employee died in a bicycle accident. He was on his to work a soup kitchen for the homeless.
He retired around 2010 and was a top performer with the company, number #1 three consecutive years.
I sent his obituary to Corporate, thought a few their would like to know.
Got an email back from HR asking who he was and no one else responded.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:38 AM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,817 Times in 3,340 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sorry for the loss of your friend.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:09 AM
Turbodude
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
I've had more than a few of these things lately. Not so much long lost folks, but I'm not what I consider "old" (low 50s) so having friends leave this earth under the circumstances they have is quite disconcerting. 2 of my closest lifelong friends in the past 3 years, and also some classmates from HS, or others in that same age range. Does everyone find they've got a preponderance of accidental death of folks they've known?

It actually makes me take pause and reassess what I'm doing with my own life. Chasing a carrot and I'm not sure for what. I try to make time to interact with people I've run across during my life, visit and such. But as much as I try, inevitably you lose touch with folks and it's always a wake up call that life is fleeting. I'm not sure how to strike a balance for all the responsibilities, but if someone knows how, I'm all ears.

Sorry for your loss Hendrix.
This is why you should retire as soon as possible. More time to hang with old friends and raise hell. Responsibilities just get in the way.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:16 AM
PKguitar
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Every quarter, I get a magazine type thing from the college I attended, and it has an "in memoriam" section where you find out who died. From when I was about 25 to 35, it seemed like someone from my class died almost every quarter, some in some pretty freaky ways. One guy was in the Air Force and died in a mid-air collision with another plane. We were wondering if we were the "cursed class", but it seemed to stop. Of course, with us all turning 55 now, I expect the frequency will increase again sooner or later.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:37 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Up Here In Patriots Nation Drinking The Haters Tears
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Damn, sorry to hear Hendrix
Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 AM
NDMIKE88
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I reconnected with an old neighborhood and grammar school friend several years ago. Her family moved to California back in the 70's. Through FB I found her and we reconnected. We had several nice phone conversations to catch up about what had happened over the past 40+ years.
One day she called me and informed me she had brain cancer and was undergoing treatment. One of her last calls was that she was cancer free. 6 months later the cancer returned and she was gone.
Sometimes reconnecting with an old friend is great...other times not so much.
RIP Susie..I never forget the cute blond with the pigtails.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:54 AM
Bruze
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by hendrix68 View Post
And you find out that they died in a car accident in 2012. Makes for a shitty morning...even though I donít really feel deserving to feel bad. Life is fleeting. R.I.P. Michelle.
My 50-year HS reunion was this past fall. I've never been to any of them and didn't plan going to this one either.

At any rate, in emailing the guy who was setting it all up, I found out that my high-school buddy, who was also my drinking buddy (up until our mid-20s when our lives went separate ways) died in 2002. Whaddya gonna do? We did some **** back in the day, went to the local drags EVERY Saturday night, never went anywhere without a cooler full of beer in the car.

I was thinking of looking up my first GF; we met in December 1967. Got engaged but never married, broke up in '70, went out again for a while in '78 (she didn't like my alcohol consumption). Haven't found her but have not been really serious about searching, cuz I still like to drink so it would probably be pointless even if I did find her.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:00 PM
JWG
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '07

That sucks. Sorry for your loss
Old 02-12-2019, 12:44 PM
pauldana
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I tracked down an old friend once... Turned out he became a drug user attic... I was wishing I did not find him... he was ready to move in,,,

2nd time I tracked down an old friend, out of work for??? keep trying to get me to hire hime to paint murals in my new garage... wish I did not find him ether..

learned my lesson... I look no more...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When you decide to track down a long lost friend....

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: