Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Great bands that never made it big...

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Great bands that never made it big...

Old 03-08-2019, 11:09 PM
RandolphB
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Craq View Post
I only saw them once. I was a fan at the time and I went to see them open for Ozzy, (turned out to be Randy's second to last show...). I got back into UFO a few years ago, and my wife got me their biography, which really made me listen to everything they've done...with almost no exception, it's all really good. They're doing some US dates toward the end of this year. I doubt they're coming to Atlanta, but we're going somewhere, at least once, to see them again.
I saw them a couple of days later. The day after Randy died over in Leesberg. The night before a flying PA speaker broke free and fell on a roadie setting up the show and killing him. There was a really bad vibe going on for some reason for sure. UFO dedicated "Too Hot To Handle" to Randy and proceeded to play the most aggressive, smoking hot version of the song ever. Phil barely made it through the dedication introducing the song. The tour so far is what European bands call a "US Tour", it hits big cities in the north, drops down the west coast and is done. Somebody should tell them the rest of the country exists too....
Old 03-08-2019, 11:43 PM
RandolphB
CF Senior Member

Osibisa were outstanding, and huge everywhere except the US. Back together and playing since the early 90's.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:09 AM
Myfourth1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88 View Post
Renaissance.
Loved them....Turn of the Cards album. Mine was stolen in one of my 12 moves across the country along with about 100 other classic albums. Luckily I was able to download it from I-Tunes....great group.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:41 PM
Myfourth1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88 View Post
Renaissance.
So I get in the car and ironically guess what song randomly plays?

Old 03-09-2019, 04:43 PM
lrobe22
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Dodosmike View Post
Black Stone Cherry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8itDYP6HU

Kind of a ZZ Top vibe IMO.
I saw Black Stone Cherry open for Saliva. They were awesome and completely overshadowed Saliva's performance. They played/head-banged non-stop for an hour.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:39 AM
MagRedConv
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Modern Lovers, Television
Old 03-10-2019, 10:07 AM
BOTYNV1
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Rush.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Patman
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,304 Times in 822 Posts

Originally Posted by BOTYNV1 View Post
Rush.

Rush never made it big? Are you joking? They have 24 Gold, 14 Platinum and 3 multi Platinum albums. They have several Juno Awards, were inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1994 and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2013. I'd say they made it BIG.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:59 PM
Patman
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,304 Times in 822 Posts

I was listening to Dream Theater on Spotify for the last couple of days and when it was done shuffling their music it gave me a couple of songs from a metal band I've never heard of called Angra. I have been listening to their music for a few hours now and it's amazing! They have been around for a long time too, I'm surprised they haven't made it big. Perhaps it's because they are from Brazil (although they sing in English) If you're a fan of progressive metal with blistering guitar solos, Angra is a band you need to listen to!
Old 03-14-2019, 07:52 PM
American Made
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Making it big can be confusing. Is that record sales or popularity in society? Multi platinum sales like Slipknot but never heard of them because of the genre. I just don't know lol. I do know that Krokus never made it big and they were great.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:26 PM
SilverC1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MagRedConv View Post
Modern Lovers, Television
Critics are always saying how wonderful Television was, especially their debut album, "Marquee Moon". So I bought it, and it's OK. But I have to say that I just can't get into it that much. I think it's that Tom Verlaine's vocals just grate on me....

A band that never really made it big, that I like a lot is Uncle Tupelo. It spawned two successor bands, "Son Volt", led by Jay Farrar, and Wilco, led by Jeff Tweedy (who of course became much better known, compared to Uncle Tupelo....). But I like the back-and-forth between the Farrar and Tweedy songs, that you get on Uncle Tupelo albums.

Back when I was at Univ. of Illinois, in the mid 70's, Head East was a pretty popular local bar band, who looked like they might follow in the footsteps of REO Speedwagon and Cheap Trick. (Who were also popular bar bands at U of I, and other Illinois towns.) But Head East only had one song that hit big, "Never Been Any Reason". But they're still playing, at fairs, bars, etc., with new bandmates backing the original vocalist and keyboards guy. Their first album, "Flat As A Pancake" can be viewed as a tribute to the flat cornfields of central Illinois....

Someone above mentioned Wishbone Ash. I remember seeing them at a summer concert series at the DuPage County Fairgrounds, in the 4H building, probably in 1972. Great dual-guitar attack. That same summer series also brought in ELO, who were semi-unknown at the time (to me, anyway). Tickets were $2, and the 4H hall could fit several hundred people, I suppose....

Last edited by SilverC1; 03-14-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:28 PM
mojo1
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Mark May Band , awesome blues!
Old 03-15-2019, 02:11 PM
Tom 35th anniversary
CF Senior Member

Accept
Old 03-15-2019, 03:04 PM
livette
CF Senior Member

My guilty pleasure.... The Smithereens..
Old 03-15-2019, 05:47 PM
yesfam
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
Crack The Sky

Were pretty big in Baltimore and the mid Atlantic area in the 1970ís
way ahead of their time.
John Palumbo was brilliant.

Check them out.
I grew up in Towson, remember seeing them live at the college.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:38 PM
CatCam
CF Senior Member

One more vote for Zebra -- at least 3 of their songs should have been mainstream but they were released when the "new wave" stuff was coming out.....when folks were saying rock was dead.

Hmmm. a few others....
Ned's Atomic Dustbin
Dinosaur Jr.
Cowboy Mouth
Old 03-15-2019, 07:04 PM
supermetroid
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by American Made View Post
Making it big can be confusing. Is that record sales or popularity in society? Multi platinum sales like Slipknot but never heard of them because of the genre. I just don't know lol. I do know that Krokus never made it big and they were great.
Slipknot were huge from the first album(with Corey), and later had some radio songs(I think 3rd album) which made them more mainstream. How about Kyuss? Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age was the guitar player with them before making it big with QOTSA.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:59 PM
RandolphB
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by American Made View Post
"One vice at a time" charted high in the US for Krokus, with "Screaming in the night" as the single and video. They headlined the US for a few years, and then Metal overall dropped off. They changed a number of members and finally broke up. Mandy died along the way and at his funeral everybody started talking again. Main core of the band is back together with two new albums over the last few years. They were big everywhere except the US...but they did chart out once.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:55 PM
99 Driver
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '09,'11

They were a great band...but like many of them, just could not stay togeather for various reason.

Originally Posted by SilverC1 View Post
I can go through many from the Greatest Rock and Roll FM station in the World...KSHE 95.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Great bands that never made it big...

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: