Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Fundraising for Travel Baseball

Old 03-08-2019, 09:32 AM
RMVette
CF Senior Member

Liked 88 Times in 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruz View Post
Cooperstown is "the destination" from a prestige status, but I think the standard of the boys staying in dorms with the coaches is a shitty (for the coaches at least).

We went to Cal Ripken the last 2 years in Myrtle Beach, and could not say enough good things about the trip. The baseball was amazing, weather was awesome, woke up every morning staring at the ocean, and it was a great family vacation for a week. Ripken was a bit cheaper than Cooperstown too (think we were at about $600 per kid).
We're heading there too, but check out The Shipyard in Charleston. We played there in the fall last year and won our week. Beautiful venue and we're going there again this year!

I pay for my son's baseball and my wife pays for dance for our daughter!
Old 03-08-2019, 09:33 AM
RMVette
CF Senior Member

Yes, our organization is as well, but there are still some limitations. Just wanted to bring it up in case your team likes the idea and you can look into it further.
Great point!
Old 03-08-2019, 10:22 AM
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member

Liked 29 Times in 29 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

When I was a kid playing little league I went door to door selling candy bars, as did all the other kids. Coaches had the collection cans out at traffic lights, etc.

Travel sports is a billion dollar industry. Saw one show where the parents says they are spending at least $15K a year on travel expenses, fees, etc. Because they think their kid will get a scholarship. Better to take that $15k a year and put it in a 529 plan.

Heck, i have my kids in local recreation sports and it cost a lot. When I grew up town rec sports did not cost to participate except for your own personal equipment, like a glove, but they provide helmets and bats, but not anymore. Football included the equipment. Local business sponsors, fund raising and town recreation tax money took care of it. Keeps kids off the streets and from getting in trouble.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Ruz
CF Senior Member

Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0 View Post
When I was a kid playing little league I went door to door selling candy bars, as did all the other kids. Coaches had the collection cans out at traffic lights, etc.

Travel sports is a billion dollar industry. Saw one show where the parents says they are spending at least $15K a year on travel expenses, fees, etc. Because they think their kid will get a scholarship. Better to take that $15k a year and put it in a 529 plan.

Heck, i have my kids in local recreation sports and it cost a lot. When I grew up town rec sports did not cost to participate except for your own personal equipment, like a glove, but they provide helmets and bats, but not anymore. Football included the equipment. Local business sponsors, fund raising and town recreation tax money took care of it. Keeps kids off the streets and from getting in trouble.
You know you are getting old when your stories start with "When I was a kid..."

Times change.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In VII Veteran

You know you are getting old when your stories start with "When I was a kid..."

Times change.
Yes, some times for the better and sometimes not.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:30 AM
GCD1962
CF Senior Member

Liked 70 Times in 65 Posts

Tell all the parents to get a second job at McD's for $15hr and pahy for it themselves instead of sponging off others. It's your kids, not someone elses, so you need to work harder to pay for their fun
Old 03-08-2019, 11:00 AM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962 View Post
Tell all the parents to get a second job at McD's for $15hr and pahy for it themselves instead of sponging off others. It's your kids, not someone elses, so you need to work harder to pay for their fun
sent my son to the LL camp back around '91-92; and, the inaugural Cooperstown, he had to have certain grades and chores accounted for prior to the initial application date in order earn the trip. Can you imagine, his mother and I were the ones who had to pay for this, no sponsors or donations . . .
Old 03-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Oh Boy
CF Senior Member

Liked 163 Times in 138 Posts

How good is the team. Is it competitive ball or just sending 12 kids to have a good time. I have umpired U12, Competitive Tournaments, Travel, Babe Ruth and High School for 20 years. I have seen it all. I have done some leagues of 14U on a 90ft pro size diamond with the kids pitching at 60ft 6inches. Some could burn it in at 80mph. Some teams just came to play and were so badly outclassed and humiliated they were forbidden from continuing.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:18 AM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Boy View Post
How good is the team. Is it competitive ball or just sending 12 kids to have a good time. I have umpired U12, Competitive Tournaments, Travel, Babe Ruth and High School for 20 years. I have seen it all. I have done some leagues of 14U on a 90ft pro size diamond with the kids pitching at 60ft 6inches. Some could burn it in at 80mph. Some teams just came to play and were so badly outclassed and humiliated they were forbidden from continuing.
if there's an American Legion league in your area and you can get hooked up do so. Those boys can play some good ball, and respectful . . .
Old 03-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Oh Boy
CF Senior Member

Liked 163 Times in 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BadUmp View Post
if there's an American Legion league in your area and you can get hooked up do so. Those boys can play some good ball, and respectful . . .
Gave it up in 2011 after 20 years. The money was good (tax free) but took up a lot of my spare time. Being in my 40's at the time I just didn't want to work two jobs anymore and wanted that free time for the prime of my life.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Donuts
CF Senior Member

Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack View Post
I agree about checking with local businesses to see if they will help sponsor the team with cash donations. Make the kids go to the businesses and pitch the request - teaches them a lot more than having the parents do the leg work.
no, just no. Teaches them to be liberals.

Send them out with rakes and push mowers and do spring cleanup.

Fundraising is out of control and usually it's for unnecessary activities. Pay your way or don't go.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:06 PM
Donuts
CF Senior Member

Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0 View Post

parents going broke because of their vicarious addictions. Kids burn out and couldn't give a ****.

as a player, now business owner and soon to be right in the thick of this charade soon with 4 young kids that I will be providing rakes and push mowers for as soon as they can pull the rope to start the dam things

Last edited by Donuts; 03-08-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Donuts View Post

parents going broke because of their vicarious addictions. Kids burn out and couldn't give a ****.

as a player, now business owner and soon to be right in the thick of this charade soon with 4 young kids that I will be providing rakes and push mowers for as soon as they can pull the rope to start the dam things
The high school football team does that, kids for hire to do chores. Lawn work, clean out basements, attics, etc. Other school clubs do car washes a lot.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:35 PM
RMVette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Oh Boy View Post
This is travel ball, yes they are good with local and extended stay tournaments. His team was voted by Top Gun Baseball as the best 12U team in 2018 for the Carolina's.

He pitches in the low 60's, and a few will throw in the 70's! He pitched a shutout in the champion game at the Shipyard last fall!
Old 03-08-2019, 01:40 PM
Nox
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can you sell Girl Scout cookies? It’s like legal crack.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:24 PM
jim2527
CF Senior Member

Liked 166 Times in 146 Posts

I don't support travel leagues.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:35 PM
BOTYNV1
CF Senior Member

Liked 83 Times in 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Mouse races.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:39 PM
misteroman
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Countrymeats.com

You're welcome and play well!!!!!!
D
Old 03-08-2019, 05:49 PM
pappy.72
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I don’t support travel leagues because it is like paying for someone else’s baseball vacation. Pay for it yourself and don’t ask for handouts. Besides your kid will pay you back when he signs that big Major League Baseball contract that they all assume they will get. Ha!
Old 03-08-2019, 08:22 PM
mchar
CF Senior Member

Liked 29 Times in 27 Posts

So it's Sanctioned Begging? OK. Girl Scouts sell cookies, which is a product, for some reason Boy Scouts sell Popcorn, as a 4-her, I sold Christmas wreaths.
And I remember selling Peanut Brittle as a Cub Scout or something...
People got a product, and paid a price. They knew. That's ok by me. The begging is pathetic.
And OP - Proper Preparation prevents Poor Performance - you admit you dropped the ball on funding this thing -
maybe it's SNOWING where you are and GET THOSE boys shoveling to pay their own way!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fundraising for Travel Baseball

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: