Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

College Graduation Honors Requirements?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

College Graduation Honors Requirements?

Old 03-12-2019, 07:36 PM
Derrick Reynolds
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18

Originally Posted by Freakinhobo View Post
She'll be fine.. She's had internships at Andrews Institute, ESPN, and is currently at NASA. Her resume is fantastic.. I have no reservations about her getting a job when/how/where she wants. Everyone loves her. I guess I felt like it was unfair that she got a D in some random class that has nothing to do with her degree (this is her second degree) and has busted her butt in this degree and still takes transferred stuff into account. They have 2 GPAs they base it off.. total and degree specific.. but if they take the lowest anyways why not just have it be total?

Grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.. I just wanted her to be able to walk Magna *** Laude after all the crap she's been through.
From the time my kids were little, I told them that college is NOT a panacea. They needed to figure out what they WANTED to do, and we will get them the training they need to do that, so that their lives are not filled with the drudgery of going to a job where they have little interest, or worse, hate. They took it to heart, and won "the big prize" because of it.

Your wife's resume does sound awesome! I would recommend to her that she also focus on "the big prize", the "dream job" that she will love. Forget GPAs and notations on diplomas. I have one such notation on one of my diplomas, and if you asked my wife (who I have known since I was 19 years old, so she has been front row center for all diplomas since high school) what my notation says and on which diploma, I doubt she would even remember that I have one. Nobody cares, and I mean nobody. I don't care about the notation on my own diploma, and I doubt your wife will care 10 years from now.

Congrats to her!
Old 03-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Txbobcat
CF Senior Member

I got a get the hell out of here diploma in high school. Needed overall grade avg of 1.66 2/3 rds to graduate. I smoked it with a 1.67.
In college I got 3.0s up to a 4.0 semester
Old 03-13-2019, 04:34 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.Build the WALL!
St. Jude Donor '09

As long as your GPA is above 3.5.
not hard to do as long as you major in lesbian-pedofile-transsexualidentity-homo womens studies or equivalent (insert minority) history.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:00 AM
Jimnc
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I transferred schools after my sophomore year. The credits that were accepted counted towards my degree but the grades did not transfer. I graduated Magna *** Laude with a 3.89 GPA. Missed Summa *** Laude by .01
Old 03-13-2019, 07:20 AM
NDMIKE88
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

My wife is getting ready to graduate this May. Initially she was excited to graduate Summa *** Laude with her 3.98 GPA. However, the school said she's graduating *** Laude with barely a 3.50 as a result of 2 transfer classes she transferred in from almost 10 years ago. Anyone have any successful experience in convincing a school to bend the rules to allow someone higher honors? She's does practically everything and is pretty bummed about it.
Bend the rules so your wife feels better....one of the problems of todays society.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

She'll be fine.. She's had internships at Andrews Institute, ESPN, and is currently at NASA. Her resume is fantastic.. I have no reservations about her getting a job when/how/where she wants. Everyone loves her. I guess I felt like it was unfair that she got a D in some random class that has nothing to do with her degree (this is her second degree) and has busted her butt in this degree and still takes transferred stuff into account. They have 2 GPAs they base it off.. total and degree specific.. but if they take the lowest anyways why not just have it be total?

Grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.. I just wanted her to be able to walk Magna *** Laude after all the crap she's been through.
Too bad William Singer, got arrested or you could have bought her Magna *** Laude. What would be unfair is to the kids the actually earned Magna *** Laude in all their classes.

Like I said the same thing happened to me. I transferred credits from county college for some of the general required classes, like history, English or something from back in my younger partying days. But when I transferred to a 4 year college I had a Magna *** Laude GPA and most of those classes were engineering classes. But the transfer grades bought it down to *** Laude, I tried to see if I could use another class with a high grade to transfer to meet the general requirements, but that were the classes they transferred. I was thrilled to get *** Laude, it was hard earned and I felt proud, I already had a job so it was something I only cared about. I only made honor roll once in my public school days when I was senior in high school, heck my high school freshman year I had to go to summer school.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:50 AM
GEODON
CF Senior Member

Why dont you bribe the colleges like hollywood elites do to get what you want
Old 03-13-2019, 10:51 AM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Or you could just be like Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman and cheat:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/college...bi-2019-03-12/
Old 03-13-2019, 11:38 AM
GCD1962
CF Senior Member

Me, I set a record I think at UCONN, all C's, 2.0. In the end I bet I made more than 95% of the so-called "*** Laude's" It's not the grades, it's about how you use the knowledge. I've known Harvard MBA's that had only medicore jobs.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:10 PM
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by GCD1962 View Post
Me, I set a record I think at UCONN, all C's, 2.0. In the end I bet I made more than 95% of the so-called "*** Laude's" It's not the grades, it's about how you use the knowledge. I've known Harvard MBA's that had only medicore jobs.
I posted this before. My college paper posted an article saying that the best engineering students had a 2.0. That they did just enough to meet the requirements. Because out in the real world doing anymore then what is needed to meet the requirements cost money and is over engineered.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:28 PM
tjfontaine
CF Senior Member

I think my final gpa was around 2.7 ... that is because I went to school 2 years and messed around did terrible.

Went into Navy 4 years in I.T.

Went back to school transferred those credits with bad grades. Got around 3.5 for all new courses - graduated in Mechanical Engineering.

I had 21 job offers in 1981 - FAR more than the guy in 2nd place also ex-Navy. That is because I had the BSME AND real world IT experience just when this was becoming important. It was a ticket to success and early retirement.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:21 AM
03 A/E Coupe
CF Senior Member

Back when I was in College...

I received a ver prestigious honor from the Dean....

I was chosen as... Most Likely to end up.....

FAT DRUNK and STUPID
Old 03-14-2019, 07:59 PM
Freakinhobo
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88 View Post
Bend the rules so your wife feels better....one of the problems of todays society.
Nope.. a lot of rules out there are stupid af. I work in a job were I have to comply with a bunch of stupid crap because it was written years ago. Re-writes happen every year but nobody takes the time to actually review it and fix it. This rule is stupid. She busts her *** in this degree and a transfer credit from 10 years ago derails all of that. People who see "rules are rules" are short sighted..
Old 03-15-2019, 08:55 AM
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Nope.. a lot of rules out there are stupid af. I work in a job were I have to comply with a bunch of stupid crap because it was written years ago. Re-writes happen every year but nobody takes the time to actually review it and fix it. This rule is stupid. She busts her *** in this degree and a transfer credit from 10 years ago derails all of that. People who see "rules are rules" are short sighted..
She should have busted her *** 10 years ago. Like I said have her take those classes again then for a better grade. Not fair to all the people who busted their *** in all their classes and actually earned the honer.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:17 PM
vettebuyer6369

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Thanked 1,561 Times in 1,009 Posts

My wife is getting ready to graduate this May. Initially she was excited to graduate Summa *** Laude with her 3.98 GPA. However, the school said she's graduating *** Laude with barely a 3.50 as a result of 2 transfer classes she transferred in from almost 10 years ago. Anyone have any successful experience in convincing a school to bend the rules to allow someone higher honors? She's does practically everything and is pretty bummed about it.
That seems odd as transfer credits (from other schools) usually transfer the hours/credits towards requirements for graduation but they do not transfer the GPA. Are you sure it’s transfer credit and not previous credits? You might ask about that. Also, as a college instructor of over 20 years, I’m having a little trouble with the math that takes 3.98 to a 3.50 in only 2 classes. What were they, zeros?

Its not uncommon for returning adults to have a completely different outlook on school when they go back after a decade in the workplace. Those students routinely get close to all As, so the fact low grades from years ago combined with a returning learners current high grades is not at all uncommon. Personally, I think asking the school the “bend the rules” so someone can get an honor that other students wouldn’t get has no value. No offense, but changing the rules to get what you want isn’t the way to measure an accomplishment.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:35 PM
slewfoot1956
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

Money talks, bullsht walks. Pay em off and don't tell the wife.

Last edited by slewfoot1956; 03-15-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:57 PM
ByRiver
CF Senior Member

I had the exact same thing happen to me with transfer credits. I still had a white cord on my hat for graduation, but unless you are 22 years old and going out for your first job, it doesn't mean anything to anyone else. I never noted it on anything like a resume or anything. No school is going to change your GPA though. Your GPA is calculated on your transcript, so unless you alter the numbers to change the math, it wouldn't be legal. She can hold off graduating and take a couple more classes to increase her GPA if it is that important to her. But I doubt a couple classes will boost your overall GPA to 3.98 though. Do the math and see.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:32 PM
MADinAK
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14

37 posts and no one asked for pics? This place is seriously slipping.

To the OP - WGAFFF!

Last edited by MADinAK; 03-15-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:52 AM
NDMIKE88
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

The only reason you feel this rule is stupid is because it affects her. She had 10 years to do something about it but now you are complaining??? Give me a break. What about the others who knew what the rule states and worked their butts off to comply??? But your right they should bend the rule for your wife.....Tell the Snowflake to retake the courses that are affecting her GPA.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:01 AM
wcsinx
CF Senior Member

Huh? I guarantee this wasn't affected by a rule "re-write". Transfer credits have worked this way since before your wife took a single course. Think about what you're asking. Your wife wants the credit for a course she took but not the grade she earned? Dude ... GMAFB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: College Graduation Honors Requirements?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: