Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

College Graduation Honors Requirements?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

College Graduation Honors Requirements?

Old 03-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Freakinhobo
CF Senior Member

Default College Graduation Honors Requirements?

My wife is getting ready to graduate this May. Initially she was excited to graduate Summa *** Laude with her 3.98 GPA. However, the school said she's graduating *** Laude with barely a 3.50 as a result of 2 transfer classes she transferred in from almost 10 years ago. Anyone have any successful experience in convincing a school to bend the rules to allow someone higher honors? She's does practically everything and is pretty bummed about it.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:38 AM
wcsinx
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Freakinhobo View Post
My wife is getting ready to graduate this May. Initially she was excited to graduate Summa *** Laude with her 3.98 GPA. However, the school said she's graduating *** Laude with barely a 3.50 as a result of 2 transfer classes she transferred in from almost 10 years ago. Anyone have any successful experience in convincing a school to bend the rules to allow someone higher honors? She's does practically everything and is pretty bummed about it.
My experience with transferring credits is they will take the grade that you originally made in that course with no exceptions. If you don't want those grades on your record, then don't transfer the credits and retake the course(s) at your current institution.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:05 AM
grandpawmoses
CF Senior Member

The question is: Beyond the acknowledgement at the graduation ceremony, what value is it to her?
Old 03-12-2019, 11:05 AM
The Creeper
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I had the same thing with my last BA, my old credits from 30 years ago when I attended Samford University in a drunken haze, killed my 3.92 GPA.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:08 AM
repo
CF Senior Member

St Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses View Post
The question is: Beyond the acknowledgement at the graduation ceremony, what value is it to her?
Agree, at this point it's more about work experience, than gpa. Or other things on her resume that make her jump off the page to a recruiter.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:20 AM
scottycards
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

We were allowed to re-take a class and use the better of the two grades for our GPA calculation.

I quit going to Business Statistics after about a week or two because the instructor was horrible, and his accent was so thick I couldn't understand a word the guy was saying. I took the "F" and re-took the class the next semester, and got an "A".
Old 03-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Derrick Reynolds
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18

Originally Posted by repo View Post
Agree, at this point it's more about work experience, than gpa. Or other things on her resume that make her jump off the page to a recruiter.
Whenever I say anything like this, I get pig-piled on!

My son is finishing an engineering degree at RPI. Before he started, they had an orientation in July that the parents were expected to attend with the student. I was there when the head of his program went over some statistics of job offers with different levels of work experience and different GPAs. The professor outwardly said that when it comes to getting a job, you are MUCH better off with a 2.8 GPA and 2 solid internships than a 3.7 GPA with no work experience. My son is carrying a 3.9 GPA, and was offered a job by the company where he did his second internship which he will be taking in July. He said they never asked him about his grades, but to get the internship, he had to pass tests that required him to understand the material in his program. He said that most of the stuff on the tests was really basic and easy, only a few hard problems at the end of the last test, of which he suspected he got one of them wrong. When he got the internship, they said outwardly that they had candidates with high GPAs that couldn't pass the tests, so they disregard grades.

My daughter had a 3.8 GPA coming out of Cornell Materials Science Engineering with 2 good summer internships, and worked in a lab at the University for 3 years. She said that she never had anyone in an interview ask her about her GPA, nor did any company ask her for a transcript. All they wanted to hear about was what she did on the internships and in the lab.

YMMV.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Gary79
CF Senior Member

that's SOP. post #2 is spot on. college was over 40 years ago for me. the first 2 years I struggled ( academically, personal, everything), and in my 3rd yr it got so bad that I took "incompletes" and left school. 1 1/2 years later, I went back and did 4.0, but finished with an overall GPA of 2.85. majored in bus adm & mgmnt... looking back, college was a waste of time. I never used it. I never got promoted. it got me in trouble because I was smarter than my bosses. I finally learned to STFU, go with the flow. I am white and watched women and blacks get jobs I should have had. reverse discrimination. in my last 5 yrs, more than one of my bosses told me. "you never say anything. don't you have anything to contribute?" my answers ranged from "you're lucky" "I don't want to get in trouble." "no" " I was here when you got here and I'll be here after you're gone."

it is what it is.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 AM
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Freakinhobo View Post
The same thing happened to me, nothing you can do unless she wants to take those 2 transfer classes again at the new school.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:51 AM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PKguitar View Post
fixt
Old 03-12-2019, 11:53 AM
WICKEDFRC
CF Senior Member

I could never go to school there.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 03-12-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:27 PM
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

Why agitate over something that will never be thought of except you or in this case your wife. I hired and fired a multitude of professionals in my working years and I never had any idea of their graduation position or their GPA. I did hire and fire a guy with a Masters in English who could not scribe a coherent paragraph.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:35 PM
71 Green 454
CF Senior Member

I transferred every possible credit I could to SUNY. Got exactly what I wanted....a BS diploma.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:40 PM
CurtP
CF Senior Member

Bend the rules so someone feels better about the grades they earned? Isn't this how we ended up with millennials?
Old 03-12-2019, 01:52 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.Build the WALL!
St. Jude Donor '09

I got a participation diploma.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:44 PM
GR8-LIFE
CF Senior Member

It varies with many Universities. My university needed a 3.6 for honors That's a solid A - none of this 3.5 Round up ****
But I still feel I fell short as I had a 3.74 and needed a 3.80 for .magna . So I got just plain old *** Laude

TBH it doesnt matter to me today like it did 25 years ago. I ended up doing well and I must say that some luck (with hard work to follow) helped along the way.

As I like to say nowadays, better to have a 3.74 and some luck than no Luck and a Magna 3.80

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 03-12-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:46 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1Patriot View Post
Why agitate over something that will never be thought of except you or in this case your wife. I hired and fired a multitude of professionals in my working years and I never had any idea of their graduation position or their GPA. I did hire and fire a guy with a Masters in English who could not scribe a coherent paragraph.
^ this

In the grand scheme of life those honors are completely meaningless to anyone except the honoree. Maybe it would help a new college grad land their first entry-level job, but after that nobody gives a ****.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:29 PM
GCD1962
CF Senior Member

Schools pass out *** Laude like water these days.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:52 PM
Freakinhobo
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by PKguitar View Post

My son is finishing an engineering degree at RPI. Before he started, they had an orientation in July that the parents were expected to attend with the student. I was there when the head of his program went over some statistics of job offers with different levels of work experience and different GPAs. The professor outwardly said that when it comes to getting a job, you are MUCH better off with a 2.8 GPA and 2 solid internships than a 3.7 GPA with no work experience. My son is carrying a 3.9 GPA, and was offered a job by the company where he did his second internship which he will be taking in July. He said they never asked him about his grades, but to get the internship, he had to pass tests that required him to understand the material in his program. He said that most of the stuff on the tests was really basic and easy, only a few hard problems at the end of the last test, of which he suspected he got one of them wrong. When he got the internship, they said outwardly that they had candidates with high GPAs that couldn't pass the tests, so they disregard grades.

My daughter had a 3.8 GPA coming out of Cornell Materials Science Engineering with 2 good summer internships, and worked in a lab at the University for 3 years. She said that she never had anyone in an interview ask her about her GPA, nor did any company ask her for a transcript. All they wanted to hear about was what she did on the internships and in the lab.

YMMV.
She'll be fine.. She's had internships at Andrews Institute, ESPN, and is currently at NASA. Her resume is fantastic.. I have no reservations about her getting a job when/how/where she wants. Everyone loves her. I guess I felt like it was unfair that she got a D in some random class that has nothing to do with her degree (this is her second degree) and has busted her butt in this degree and still takes transferred stuff into account. They have 2 GPAs they base it off.. total and degree specific.. but if they take the lowest anyways why not just have it be total?

Grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.. I just wanted her to be able to walk Magna *** Laude after all the crap she's been through.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:53 PM
Freakinhobo
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by GCD1962 View Post
Schools pass out *** Laude like water these days.
As long as your GPA is above 3.5.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: College Graduation Honors Requirements?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: