Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Corvette on a budget

 
Old 03-13-2019, 05:19 AM
  #21  
03 A/E Coupe
CF Senior Member
 
03 A/E Coupe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2008
Location: Lake Michigan's South Shore IN
Posts: 10,162
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Early C6s are the same price as the nicer C5s these days.

C6 is a far more practical car to drive than the C5 which has now become the new C4 in terms of getting up there in age and having stuff wear out and go bad...


If need some motivation to seek out a C6 over a C5 - Consider these items that plague the C5:

The electronic bug-a-boos,
Failed modules that are no longer produced,
Weak illumination from the pop up headlights,
I can go on and on...

Good luck on the Budget Corvette Quest, there are other fun sports cars out there to stroke the Ego beside's GM's Flagship Sportster..
Investigate some of those too..

Keep us posted on your search and ultimate result.
Cheapy - tacky interior components
03 A/E Coupe is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:56 AM
  #22  
Zeek
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Zeek's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Location: on the beach.
Posts: 11,411
Thanked 44 Times in 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07, '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
Official Sponsor of the 60 Day VacatioNN
10,000 poster in the "thread" Part II

Default

Originally Posted by flange View Post
c6s are pretty bulletproof and plentiful.
And the ugliest Vette ever made.....
Zeek is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 11:37 AM
  #23  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 27,427
Thanked 212 Times in 174 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by Zeek View Post
And the ugliest Vette ever made.....
K-Spaz is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 11:52 AM
  #24  
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!
 
96 Vette CE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Up Here In Patriots Nation Drinking The Haters Tears
Posts: 42,175
Thanked 171 Times in 97 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17
Default

If it doesn't have round tail lights and flip up headlights........................it ain't a corvette
96 Vette CE is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 11:53 AM
  #25  
artz66
CF Senior Member
 
artz66's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: I'm on a boat.
Posts: 5,257
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
same one your in
you’re
artz66 is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 12:00 PM
  #26  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 27,427
Thanked 212 Times in 174 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE View Post
If it doesn't have round tail lights and flip up headlights........................it ain't a corvette
K-Spaz is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 12:08 PM
  #27  
higgyburners
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
higgyburners's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,497
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
St. Jude Donor '15
Default


higgyburners is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 12:21 PM
  #28  
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!
 
96 Vette CE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Up Here In Patriots Nation Drinking The Haters Tears
Posts: 42,175
Thanked 171 Times in 97 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post



You have a 427....................I'll let you slide
96 Vette CE is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 12:43 PM
  #29  
roadbike56
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
roadbike56's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Springs NC
Posts: 6,290
Thanked 722 Times in 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by 03 A/E Coupe View Post
Early C6s are the same price as the nicer C5s these days.

C6 is a far more practical car to drive than the C5 which has now become the new C4 in terms of getting up there in age and having stuff wear out and go bad...


If need some motivation to seek out a C6 over a C5 - Consider these items that plague the C5:

The electronic bug-a-boos,
Failed modules that are no longer produced,
Weak illumination from the pop up headlights,
I can go on and on...
Much of what 03 A/E Coupe said is true. However, the reliability comment as it applies to later C5s is not correct. If you are serious about a C5, then you need to learn about the issues that are well known. The early C5s, 1997 to 2000 have an EBCM module that, if it fails, is almost impossible to replace and very few can be repaired. This is not the case with 2001 to 2004 C5s where the electronics were updated to more reliable units. This includes the EBCM, the steering centering sensor and the TPMS system (possibly more that I'm not aware of). When I purchased a used C5, I focused on buying only a 2001 or newer car. There are other items you should learn about but my 2004 coupe was a very reliable car that I completely enjoyed driving. Vetteman Jack has a chronological paper that outlines all the changes year to year.
As for the C6 vs the C5, yes the C6 is a newer car that addressed some of the shortcomings of the C5. In addition, some higher mileage C6s can be had for under $20K today, especially the early C6s with the LS2 (2005 to 2007). It comes down to you can buy some very low mileage C5s (01 to 04) for about $15K to $20K or you can buy some mid to high mileage early C6s for the same price. There are arguments on both sides of this discussion between the two Corvette editions, but it comes down to which you prefer. Keep in mind, the C6 has some issues as well, especially the gas tank issue and there are others. IMHO, learn about both editions before buying. If I can be of any further help, PM me.
roadbike56 is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 12:46 PM
  #30  
Zeek
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Zeek's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Location: on the beach.
Posts: 11,411
Thanked 44 Times in 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07, '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
Official Sponsor of the 60 Day VacatioNN
10,000 poster in the "thread" Part II

Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Ya'll bitch about the C 7 tail lights...but the C 6 entire rear end looks like when the designers got to the rear wheels, they just ran out of ideas or money and just chopped the *** off, stuck in some tail lights and called it a day......
Zeek is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 01:00 PM
  #31  
Swany00
CF Senior Member
 
Swany00's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Sacramento Ca
Posts: 71,833
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Default

I'm surprised they actually had a C4 in a showroom in 2016 ish (since you said a couple years after 2014).... and that the hook set in on a C4
Swany00 is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 02:36 PM
  #32  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 27,427
Thanked 212 Times in 174 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE View Post



You have a 427....................I'll let you slide
It's got round taillights..

Originally Posted by Zeek View Post
Ya'll bitch about the C 7 tail lights...but the C 6 entire rear end looks like when the designers got to the rear wheels, they just ran out of ideas or money and just chopped the *** off, stuck in some tail lights and called it a day......
A more perfect representation of artistic expression can't be found at the Louvre. You need to stay in the realm of Trackers and JImnys with that attitude...
K-Spaz is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 07:17 PM
  #33  
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Jughead's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.Build the WALL!
Posts: 72,763
Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
It's got round taillights..

A more perfect representation of artistic expression can't be found at the Louvre. You need to stay in the realm of Trackers and JImnys with that attitude...

He mad cuz he hasn't drilled any holes in a while.
Jughead is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 07:33 PM
  #34  
lectroglide
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Posts: 639
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

You and jack were most helpful in this thread, thanx


Originally Posted by roadbike56 View Post
Much of what 03 A/E Coupe said is true. However, the reliability comment as it applies to later C5s is not correct. If you are serious about a C5, then you need to learn about the issues that are well known. The early C5s, 1997 to 2000 have an EBCM module that, if it fails, is almost impossible to replace and very few can be repaired. This is not the case with 2001 to 2004 C5s where the electronics were updated to more reliable units. This includes the EBCM, the steering centering sensor and the TPMS system (possibly more that I'm not aware of). When I purchased a used C5, I focused on buying only a 2001 or newer car. There are other items you should learn about but my 2004 coupe was a very reliable car that I completely enjoyed driving. Vetteman Jack has a chronological paper that outlines all the changes year to year.
As for the C6 vs the C5, yes the C6 is a newer car that addressed some of the shortcomings of the C5. In addition, some higher mileage C6s can be had for under $20K today, especially the early C6s with the LS2 (2005 to 2007). It comes down to you can buy some very low mileage C5s (01 to 04) for about $15K to $20K or you can buy some mid to high mileage early C6s for the same price. There are arguments on both sides of this discussion between the two Corvette editions, but it comes down to which you prefer. Keep in mind, the C6 has some issues as well, especially the gas tank issue and there are others. IMHO, learn about both editions before buying. If I can be of any further help, PM me.
lectroglide is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:01 PM
  #35  
BOTYNV1
CF Senior Member
 
BOTYNV1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Title town, Champs live here.
Posts: 54,506
Thanked 83 Times in 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default

I may have one just sitting around.
BOTYNV1 is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:02 PM
  #36  
Zeek
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Zeek's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Location: on the beach.
Posts: 11,411
Thanked 44 Times in 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07, '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
Official Sponsor of the 60 Day VacatioNN
10,000 poster in the "thread" Part II

Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
......A more perfect representation of artistic expression can't be found at the Louvre. You need to stay in the realm of Trackers and JImnys with that attitude...
Meh....I still say they fugly......I had a bunch a C 4's & 5's but only one C 6....dont like em...
Zeek is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:24 PM
  #37  
FLEXjs
CF Senior Member
 
FLEXjs's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,926
Thanked 190 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by higgyburners View Post






FLEXjs is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 PM
  #38  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 27,427
Thanked 212 Times in 174 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by Zeek View Post
Meh....I still say they fugly......I had a bunch a C 4's & 5's but only one C 6....dont like em...
You just didn't drive the right one yet.
K-Spaz is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 11:09 PM
  #39  
Zeek
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Zeek's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Location: on the beach.
Posts: 11,411
Thanked 44 Times in 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07, '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
Official Sponsor of the 60 Day VacatioNN
10,000 poster in the "thread" Part II

Default


Since this thread is about "budget" Vettes....Im gonna go look at this 99 FRC this weekend....asking 9800....

This is a 1999 FRC corvette this is a rare car only made for two years it has the manual 6spd ls1 that is fresh only has 12k on motor the motor has forged bottom end and lots of upgrades the car is a beast it has a Mantic 9000 series twin disc clutch kit Texas speed long tube headers Texas speed catless xpipe Texas speed ms4 cam Texas speed double valve spring kit Texas speed timing chain and high flow oil pump Forged motor only about 12k on build Ls6 intake Stage II t56 6spd trans New tires the car is ready to go......
May be a cool driveable project car... (sure better looking than any C 6.... )

Last edited by Zeek; 03-13-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Zeek is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 11:29 PM
  #40  
TorchRedRocket
CF Senior Member
 
TorchRedRocket's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Winfield IN
Posts: 8,301
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Zeek View Post

Since this thread is about "budget" Vettes....Im gonna go look at this 99 FRC this weekend....asking 9800....

This is a 1999 FRC corvette this is a rare car only made for two years it has the manual 6spd ls1 that is fresh only has 12k on motor the motor has forged bottom end and lots of upgrades the car is a beast it has a Mantic 9000 series twin disc clutch kit Texas speed long tube headers Texas speed catless xpipe Texas speed ms4 cam Texas speed double valve spring kit Texas speed timing chain and high flow oil pump Forged motor only about 12k on build Ls6 intake Stage II t56 6spd trans New tires the car is ready to go......
May be a cool driveable project car... (sure better looking than any C 6.... )
Nothing like a well-documented FRC.
TorchRedRocket is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette on a budget


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: