Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

C8 makes Front Page of Drudge Report...

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

C8 makes Front Page of Drudge Report...

Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 AM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

I believe in the Beer Fairy

I'd trust Gm before Drudge or USAToday... Just say'n.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Dave1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
Not of interest at an ownership level.
So, meh
I understand....

They don't offer six cylinder C8's.....
Old 03-14-2019, 11:24 AM
Silverback51
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post
Based on that quote kingpin posted, about the battle between design and engineering, is it possible a flexible attach point was the only fix available without compromising design?

Interesting nonetheless, did the article mention the failure rate for test cars?
There was no mention of failure rate.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:25 AM
STANG KILLA SS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by chaase View Post
Corvettes are full frame cars. They may need some cross bracing or stiffening in the area.
correct, call them subframe connectors, chassis stiffeners, rail bracing etc.
helps stiffen and minimize flex.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Silverback51
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Well, the fact is, no matter what you put together, there's going to be flex. It's called physics. The problem isn't that the frame flexes any more than any other car, (of similar hp) it's that the design people insist upon unnecessary glass.

Take note when you watch top fuel'ers, they don't have a glass window in the center of the chassis.
Actually it's not as much physics as it is strength of materials and design. Even a fly landing on a railroad track causes deflection. It's out in the 8th to 10th place if I remember correctly, but it does deflect.

Look at a Jeep Wrangler as a good example. Probably no other factory vehicle flexes as much and they are not popping out windows. And in a Jeep you want the frame and body to flex, not in a sports car.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:40 AM
DJ_Critterus
CF Senior Member

Location: FL.... America's Wang! No shrinkage. Winter's not coming!
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by War Eagle ZO6 View Post
GM is the new Hyundai of the 80s. Junk.

I'd hold off on buying GM, too. Hell, when i unload my C6Z, I'm going for the Titan XD with the cummins turbo diesel.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 PM
COLO BND
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
correct, call them subframe connectors, chassis stiffeners, rail bracing etc.
helps stiffen and minimize flex.
[cough] C4 X-brace [/cough]
Old 03-14-2019, 01:02 PM
Murray Anderson
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
I'd hold off on buying GM, too. Hell, when i unload my C6Z, I'm going for the Titan XD with the cummins turbo diesel.
i thought you got it already

Old 03-14-2019, 01:28 PM
DJ_Critterus
CF Senior Member

Location: FL.... America's Wang! No shrinkage. Winter's not coming!
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Murray Anderson View Post
i thought you got it already

Nah, didn't like how that one handled on the test drive.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Murray Anderson
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
Nah, didn't like how that one handled on the test drive.
i understand
Old 03-14-2019, 03:48 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I'd trust Gm before Drudge or USAToday... Just say'n.
How about Autoweek, who cites Hagerty?

"Of course, this probably isnít the case with the base model C8, which should be sporting an upgraded LT1 V8, possibly dubbed LT2. No, the problem is with the higher trimmed versions powered by a twin-turbocharged V8. Likely based on the Blackwing V8 that we saw debut with the CT6-V, the twin-turbocharged Corvette will reportedly have more power than the C7 ZR1. The more powerful C8 Corvettes are rumored to have between 900-1,000 hp and that much output is deforming the aluminum spaceframe chassis, according to Hagerty."

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/rumormi...#ixzz5iB3qfKhw

https://autoweek.com/article/rumormi...n=awdailydrive
Old 03-14-2019, 04:03 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
CF Senior Member

It's on Yahoo today.

I thinks GM is behind this Free publicity.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:50 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.

The car was pumping out 900-1000hp, and who knows how much torque. There will be flex.
I just wish Chevrolet would figure out how to make a Corvette that wasn't so damn portly, and maybe they would wouldn't need all that power and torque to move its fat *** around.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:14 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
I just wish Chevrolet would figure out how to make a Corvette that wasn't so damn portly, and maybe they would wouldn't need all that power and torque to move its fat *** around.
The car in your avatar weighs about as much as the one being discussed. What more do you want? Are you expecting 1000hp in a 2800# car? w/powertrain warranty?
Old 03-14-2019, 09:48 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.

The car in your avatar weighs about as much as the one being discussed. What more do you want? Are you expecting 1000hp in a 2800# car? w/powertrain warranty?
The car in my avatar weighs 2750#, with a big block, p/s, p/b, and full factory interior. I admit it's not hampered by a/c, power seats, or airbags, but I also don't have the luxury of an aluminum frame, magnesium structures, or CF body panels.

I'll let you in on a little known performance secret: It's called "Power to Weight Ratio. You don't need a thousand horsepower to go fast. A lighter car will accelerate just as quickly with a lot less power. And, the side benefit is, you won't need 25# iron rotors or multi-thousand dollar carbon rotors to stop the damn thing, or 335mm wide tires to persuade the car to actually negotiate a corner.

Heavy is fine in a luxury car, as it helps the ride quality. But heavy in a sports car is just embarrassing.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:54 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

The car in my avatar weighs 2750#, with a big block, p/s, p/b, and full factory interior. I admit it's not hampered by a/c, power seats, or airbags, but I also don't have the luxury of an aluminum frame, magnesium structures, or CF body panels.

I'll let you in on a little known performance secret: It's called "Power to Weight Ratio. You don't need a thousand horsepower to go fast. A lighter car will accelerate just as quickly with a lot less power. And, the side benefit is, you won't need 25# iron rotors or multi-thousand dollar carbon rotors to stop the damn thing, or 335mm wide tires to persuade the car to actually negotiate a corner.

Heavy is fine in a luxury car, as it helps the ride quality. But heavy in a sports car is just embarrassing.
Are you suggesting they just put the stuff in the car because they want it to weigh more and have more fluff, or are they mandated to include the majority of the stuff because of NTSB regs? I would say the majority of corvette weight is due to safety requirements and not GM adding stuff just for the hell of it.

I would also suggest that if you'd like the new Vette to weigh what yours in your avatar does, you could strip it just as much and probably come up with an even lighter car. I for one, dgaf if it weighs an extra 100# because it has A/C. But you are welcome to remove it if you feel so compelled.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:34 AM
chaase
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12

The curb weight of a 1969 Corvette Coupe is 3260lbs. My estimate is a ~400lb penalty to meet all of the NTSB/government requirements that have been added over the years. That was found by taking two cars that were almost identical in size and could be had with no options (manual windows, locks, etc) and comparing the curb weights.

Last edited by chaase; 03-15-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:00 AM
Hurricane
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In I Veteran

The curb weight of a 1969 Corvette Coupe is 3260lbs. My estimate is a ~400lb penalty to meet all of the NTSB/government requirements that have been added over the years. That was found by taking two cars that were almost identical in size and could be had with no options (manual windows, locks, etc) and comparing the curb weights.
Corvettes now weigh 3,660 lbs?

Wow, I didn't realize that they had become that heavy.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:18 AM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
Corvettes now weigh 3,660 lbs?

Wow, I didn't realize that they had become that heavy.

I think he means they have 400# of penalty crap on the car yet it still weighs the same....
Old 03-15-2019, 11:28 AM
chaase
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12

I think he means they have 400# of penalty crap on the car yet it still weighs the same....
lol yeah. For a car to meet all the government regs, you are adding about 400lbs in weight. You have air bags, ABS, side impact protection bars, emissions equipment, 3rd brake lights and whatever else I am forgetting. All of that is required by the government and it all adds weight and complexity to cars. It has gotten worse since I made the last estimate. You have back up cameras and tire pressure monitoring added since then. I don't even know if I could find two cars to do the estimate anymore.

Last edited by chaase; 03-15-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C8 makes Front Page of Drudge Report...

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: