Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

C8 makes Front Page of Drudge Report...

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

C8 makes Front Page of Drudge Report...

 
Old 03-15-2019, 11:37 AM
  #41  
chaase
CF Senior Member
 
chaase's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: East Meadow NY
Posts: 23,229
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default

Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
Corvettes now weigh 3,660 lbs?

Wow, I didn't realize that they had become that heavy.
C7 Coupe has a curb weight of 3428lb. When I had my C5 Convertible it was just over 3500 lbs with me in it, assuming the scales at the track were correct. They seem to be going up in weight now.

Last edited by chaase; 03-15-2019 at 11:41 AM.
chaase is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 11:59 AM
  #42  
TorchRedRocket
CF Senior Member
 
TorchRedRocket's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Winfield IN
Posts: 8,300
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
I'd hold off on buying GM, too. Hell, when i unload my C6Z, I'm going for the Titan XD with the cummins turbo diesel.
You have been talking about that Titan XD for as long as TGN has been talking about getting a Denali.
TorchRedRocket is online now  
Old 03-15-2019, 12:12 PM
  #43  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 27,425
Thanked 212 Times in 174 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by TorchRedRocket View Post
You have been talking about that Titan XD for as long as TGN has been talking about getting a Denali.
They're all 3 goin together when Wez goes to pick up his Hellcat.
K-Spaz is online now  
Old 03-15-2019, 12:40 PM
  #44  
Murray Anderson
CF Senior Member
 
Murray Anderson's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 15,217
Thanked 89 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by chaase View Post
C7 Coupe has a curb weight of 3428lb. When I had my C5 Convertible it was just over 3500 lbs with me in it, assuming the scales at the track were correct. They seem to be going up in weight now.
Power top motors weigh a lot
Murray Anderson is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 12:47 PM
  #45  
Hurricane
CF Senior Member
 
Hurricane's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 28,163
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Default

Originally Posted by chaase View Post
C7 Coupe has a curb weight of 3428lb. When I had my C5 Convertible it was just over 3500 lbs with me in it, assuming the scales at the track were correct. They seem to be going up in weight now.
Hurricane is online now  
Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 PM
  #46  
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FourPennyDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Add 36k UD posts :-) Hills of N.Ga
Posts: 15,916
Thanked 62 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
The car in my avatar weighs 2750#
Originally Posted by chaase View Post
The curb weight of a 1969 Corvette Coupe is 3260lbs.
Somebody has some explaining to do.

FourPennyDoug is online now  
Old 03-15-2019, 02:20 PM
  #47  
SilverC1
CF Senior Member
 
SilverC1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: SF Bay Area California
Posts: 10,963
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post
Somebody has some explaining to do.

Yeah, I was very curious how that C3 (avatar photo in the above thread) had been lightened to only 2750 lbs. That's a big reduction from stock (roughly 500 lbs), even with some of the typical (for the era) option-deletes.... (e.g. no AC, no radio, etc.)

I was curious about the curb weights of some modern small sports cars. The number I saw for a 2019 Mazda Miata is in the range of 2350 lbs. That's pretty impressive, everything considered. I think the original Miata's (1989?) were something like 2100 lbs. IIRC my old '68 Triumph (TR250, which is a TR4A body/chassis, but with a TR6 6-cyl, engine) was almost 2300 lbs. My '59 (my avatar photo) has a stated curb weight of 3,080 lbs (more if the hard top is on).

The lightest sports cars back in the day were some of the Lotus models. Elan's were only around 1500 lbs, at least to begin with.

Last edited by SilverC1; 03-15-2019 at 02:22 PM.
SilverC1 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 02:28 PM
  #48  
TorchRedRocket
CF Senior Member
 
TorchRedRocket's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Winfield IN
Posts: 8,300
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Damn only 2350 lbs for the Miata? That's honestly quite impressive in today's day and age with all the safety requirements. Nicely done Mazda. I would have guessed a miata to be 2700.
TorchRedRocket is online now  
Old 03-15-2019, 03:00 PM
  #49  
Klondike
CF Senior Member
 
Klondike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 10,442
Thanked 94 Times in 77 Posts
Default

They did a lot of bragging about how stiff the chassis of the C7 was, so what happened? I guess the added weight didn't go into new chassis stiffening.
Maybe they could just take the C7 frame and stick the body on it backwards........Viola, rear engine!
Klondike is online now  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:01 PM
  #50  
69427
Tech Contributor
 
69427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.
Posts: 12,480
Thanked 185 Times in 158 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post
Somebody has some explaining to do.

Well, one of those two '69 Corvettes you wish explained has a typical Chevrolet shitload of cheap *** heavy cast iron and steel in its construction. The other has been seriously decontented of cast iron and steel, and replaced with similar appearance/function aluminum/composite substitutes.

69427 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:06 PM
  #51  
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FourPennyDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Add 36k UD posts :-) Hills of N.Ga
Posts: 15,916
Thanked 62 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
Well, one of those two '69 Corvettes you wish explained has a typical Chevrolet shitload of cheap *** heavy cast iron and steel in its construction. The other has been seriously decontented of cast iron and steel, and replaced with similar appearance/function aluminum/composite substitutes.
Well that certainly explains why yours is 2700lbs but I'm not sure if it's intellectually honest to compare a heavily modded lightened C3 to a stock C8 to make the C8 look heavy.
FourPennyDoug is online now  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:07 PM
  #52  
69427
Tech Contributor
 
69427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.
Posts: 12,480
Thanked 185 Times in 158 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by chaase View Post
C7 Coupe has a curb weight of 3428lb. When I had my C5 Convertible it was just over 3500 lbs with me in it, assuming the scales at the track were correct. They seem to be going up in weight now.
And a quick google of the C7 ZR1 shows 3560#. That's more than my old Monte Carlo SS weighed.
69427 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:10 PM
  #53  
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FourPennyDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Add 36k UD posts :-) Hills of N.Ga
Posts: 15,916
Thanked 62 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
The car in my avatar weighs 2750#, with a big block, p/s, p/b, and full factory interior. I admit it's not hampered by a/c, power seats, or airbags, but I also don't have the luxury of an aluminum frame, magnesium structures, or CF body panels...
And sorry, but I couldn't resist the humor in this.

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
Well, one of those two '69 Corvettes you wish explained has a typical Chevrolet shitload of cheap *** heavy cast iron and steel in its construction. The other has been seriously decontented of cast iron and steel, and replaced with similar appearance/function aluminum/composite substitutes.
FourPennyDoug is online now  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:16 PM
  #54  
69427
Tech Contributor
 
69427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.
Posts: 12,480
Thanked 185 Times in 158 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post
Well that certainly explains why yours is 2700lbs but I'm not sure if it's intellectually honest to compare a heavily modded lightened C3 to a stock C8 to make the C8 look heavy.
Where's the dishonesty? I stated that my car was a non-a/c car and that it obviously had no air bags, and that it is NOT a stripped car (it has a full factory interior and p/s, p/b, t&t wheel, heater, wipers, carpeting, F&R bumpers, blah, blah, blah). I also stated that I don't have the luxury of an aluminum frame, magnesium castings, or carbon fiber panels like a C7 and C8. Where's the dishonesty here?
69427 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:18 PM
  #55  
69427
Tech Contributor
 
69427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.
Posts: 12,480
Thanked 185 Times in 158 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post
And sorry, but I couldn't resist the humor in this.
I'm working on an aluminum frame for the car, but it's been a years long process so far.
69427 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:23 PM
  #56  
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FourPennyDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Add 36k UD posts :-) Hills of N.Ga
Posts: 15,916
Thanked 62 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
Where's the dishonesty? I stated that my car was a non-a/c car and that it obviously had no air bags, and that it is NOT a stripped car (it has a full factory interior and p/s, p/b, t&t wheel, heater, wipers, carpeting, F&R bumpers, blah, blah, blah). I also stated that I don't have the luxury of an aluminum frame, magnesium castings, or carbon fiber panels like a C7 and C8. Where's the dishonesty here?
Intellectual dishonesty, not the same as calling you a liar.

You left out key facts about your modified C3 to make an argument that Corvettes have gotten "damn portly", when in fact they have gained about 400 pounds in 50 years. Given all the added features, larger size, and .gov mandates I'd say that is pretty damn impressive.
FourPennyDoug is online now  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:26 PM
  #57  
69427
Tech Contributor
 
69427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.
Posts: 12,480
Thanked 185 Times in 158 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post
Intellectual dishonesty, not the same as calling you a liar.

You left out key facts about your modified C3 to make an argument that Corvettes have gotten "damn portly", when in fact they have gained about 400 pounds in 50 years. Given all the added features, larger size, and .gov mandates I'd say that is pretty damn impressive.
I don't see the difference, but also I don't see the point in spending any more time discussing it.
69427 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:35 PM
  #58  
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FourPennyDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Add 36k UD posts :-) Hills of N.Ga
Posts: 15,916
Thanked 62 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
I don't see the difference, but also I don't see the point in spending any more time discussing it.
Fair enough. Do you still think 400 pounds in 50 years is "damn portly" or that 400 pounds is acceptable given the larger size, added features, and multiple mandates from the gov?

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
I just wish Chevrolet would figure out how to make a Corvette that wasn't so damn portly, and maybe they would wouldn't need all that power and torque to move its fat *** around.
FourPennyDoug is online now  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:11 AM
  #59  
69427
Tech Contributor
 
69427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.
Posts: 12,480
Thanked 185 Times in 158 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post
Fair enough. Do you still think 400 pounds in 50 years is "damn portly" or that 400 pounds is acceptable given the larger size, added features, and multiple mandates from the gov?
Yes. Especially when that four hundred is piled on top of the several hundreds that were dropped by using all aluminum engines, suspension members, frame. wheels, blah blah blah.
69427 is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 12:18 PM
  #60  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 27,425
Thanked 212 Times in 174 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
Yes. Especially when that four hundred is piled on top of the several hundreds that were dropped by using all aluminum engines, suspension members, frame. wheels, blah blah blah.
Stop in at Carlisle. They sell tube-frames prit-near every day...
K-Spaz is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C8 makes Front Page of Drudge Report...


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: