Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Keys vs Cabo

Old 03-13-2019, 08:32 PM
flange
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14
Default Keys vs Cabo

I have been vacationing in the keys for a long time, annually for at least a long weekend since 94, lately its been 2 or 3 times a year. I go there for the laid back style, generally decent people who are seemingly all relocated from the cold, nice accommodations, and plenty to do. to me, its chill as much as I want, but also you can whoop it up as you like and no one gaff.
recently, some friends have mentioned that cabo has the same type of vibe, but you can get nicer homes to rent. I like renting a nice home with pool, etc and bringing in a chef to handle a few meals, then going out to nice joints the rest of them, but not having to get dressed more than shorts and a decent shirt.

at any rate, for anyone who has done both I am looking for input. the singular issues I have with cabo right now are distance from the east coast and being out of the states, although that's not really a factor, I have been abroad a lot. mexico is more like an annex.
discuss.....
Old 03-13-2019, 08:43 PM
ptindall
CF Senior Member

I've been to both but only as a poor tourist compared to you so my experience is different. If I were a baller I'd skip both and rent a house in St. John, USVI.

Last edited by ptindall; 03-13-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:43 PM
GS Ragtop
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'11

We've done both and prefer Cabo, although it was a LOT nicer in Cabo 10-15 years ago. Now it's less Mexico and more resort.

It's been a while since we've been there, but Ixtapa used to be a wonderful place that limited their growth, so you actually felt like you were outside of the US. The fishing is great out of Zihuatanejo, about 15 minutes from Ixtapa.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:52 PM
zr1fred
CF Senior Member

As a poor tourist also....I prefer the Keys.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:53 PM
Z'ha'dum
CF Senior Member

Location: I tell people I'm from Detroit...but nobody really lives IN Detroit
St. Jude Donor '13

Aren't they both full of homos?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:53 PM
00C Just for Fun
CF Senior Member

Here is a vote for Grand Cayman. Many condo's, houses available on VRBO. Relatively small island so you can usually get lodging, pool, and beach with easy access to many other beaches. Ocean is amazing for diving. It's a quiet bar scene, except for where cruise ships dock. Do be prepared to drive on left side of road, but it's a fun challenge and highest speed limit on island is 50 mph so not too hard to manage.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:54 PM
flange
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
I've been to both but only as a poor tourist compared to you so my experience is different. If I were a baller I'd skip both and rent a house in St. John, USVI.
actually, the homes there are cheaper to rent than either the keys or cabo my concern is nightlife. we do like to whoop it up a few nights and I would hate to be in a place without a bar or club scene at least to some degree. second issue is some in our group aren't as financially free as others, so getting them there and back for less than a grand in coach is necessary. our core group dgaff about cost. in some cases I have used miles to pay for their tickets. we are a tight knit group but have much different financial means.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:56 PM
flange
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Z'ha'dum View Post
Aren't they both full of homos?
never been to cabo so dont know. the keys has a small community in key west but its not in your face that ive ever seen.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:57 PM
flange
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 00C Just for Fun View Post
Here is a vote for Grand Cayman. Many condo's, houses available on VRBO. Relatively small island so you can usually get lodging, pool, and beach with easy access to many other beaches. Ocean is amazing for diving. It's a quiet bar scene, except for where cruise ships dock. Do be prepared to drive on left side of road, but it's a fun challenge and highest speed limit on island is 50 mph so not too hard to manage.
thanks, ive actually been there a few times. it is nice but a bit too quiet at night for us. we never drive on vacation. we use a car service or uber.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:00 PM
ptindall
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by flange View Post
actually, the homes there are cheaper to rent than either the keys or cabo my concern is nightlife. we do like to whoop it up a few nights and I would hate to be in a place without a bar or club scene at least to some degree. second issue is some in our group aren't as financially free as others, so getting them there and back for less than a grand in coach is necessary. our core group dgaff about cost. in some cases I have used miles to pay for their tickets. we are a tight knit group but have much different financial means.
I'm more of a snorkeling and hiking type of person, so my response is even more useless to you than I previously thought.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:04 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Keys because **** Mexico.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:04 PM
pewter99
Admin
Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

never been to cabo so dont know. the keys has a small community in key west but its not in your face that ive ever seen.
we stay outside of Cabo, less touristy and you can always head down there if you want....so much new stuff along the corridor now its hard to keep up....in all our trips we have never done the night time thing in San Lucas for a variety of reasons ...you can get a condo or 2 off VRBO for less than a hotel easily.....unless you wanna deal with the whole resort bullshit thing...I will say this though.....pesos....get pesos...its cheaper to pay in pesos

Last edited by pewter99; 03-13-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:06 PM
flange
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
I'm more of a snorkeling and hiking type of person, so my response is even more useless to you than I previously thought.
we do those things too, at times. for us a standard day might be chilling at the pool in the house with a few cocktails, then meander out mid to late afternoon. grab cocktails at an outdoor joint hopefully with music. happy hour, later dinner then out, usually back at the pool by midnight drinking swimming and bullshitting. a few days do a snorkeling trip, fishing trip or just rent bikes and cruise. cocktails are never far away. the ability to hire a chef for a few meals is a plus.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:08 PM
Allan
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

Baja California Sur state – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution

Exercise increased caution due to crime.

Criminal activity and violence, including homicide, remain a primary concern throughout the state. While most homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations and turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Bystanders have been injured or killed in shooting incidents.

There are no restrictions on travel for U.S. government employees in Baja California Sur, which includes tourist areas in: Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, and La Paz.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
Old 03-13-2019, 09:09 PM
flange
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by pewter99 View Post
we stay outside of Cabo, less touristy and you can always head down there if you want....so much new stuff along the corridor now its hard to keep up....in all our trips we have never done the night time thing in San Lucas for a variety of reasons ...you can get a condo or 2 off VRBO for less than a hotel easily.....unless you wanna deal with the whole resort bullshit thing...I will say this though.....pesos....get pesos...its cheaper to pay in pesos
we are looking at something like this: https://www.cabovillas.com/properties.asp?PID=282 is that a typical rental there? is it near enough to bars to not worry about getting home
Old 03-13-2019, 09:12 PM
flange
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Baja California Sur state Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution

Exercise increased caution due to crime.

Criminal activity and violence, including homicide, remain a primary concern throughout the state. While most homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations and turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Bystanders have been injured or killed in shooting incidents.

There are no restrictions on travel for U.S. government employees in Baja California Sur, which includes tourist areas in: Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, and La Paz.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
thanks. I thought that was just for the lower parts down near cancun.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:17 PM
scottycards
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

thanks. I thought that was just for the lower parts down near cancun.
Make sure you keep the Level 2 thing in context.

Other current Level 2 travel advisories:

Spain
UK
France
Belgium
Netherlands
Denmark
Italy
China
Bahamas

Level 2 is safer than most metropolitan areas in the US.....

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...visories.html/
Old 03-13-2019, 09:21 PM
flange
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
Make sure you keep the Level 2 thing in context.

Other current Level 2 travel advisories:

Spain
UK
France
Belgium
Netherlands
Denmark
Italy
China
Bahamas

Level 2 is safer than most metropolitan areas in the US.....

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...visories.html/
thanks. I realized that when it said no restrictions on government employee travel. I have several places near me which are no doubt way worse, like Camden nj.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:26 PM
Silverback51
CF Senior Member

I would prefer to keep my dollars in the US so for me it would be the Keys.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:35 PM
flange
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
I would prefer to keep my dollars in the US so for me it would be the Keys.
when I was younger I traveled a lot overseas, mostly in and around the alps for skiing and touristy stuff. after 911 I felt the same way and haven't left the country much, mostly Canada and the Caribbean. when some friends suggested cabo I thought it was part of commiefornia, lol. I hear nice things about it and may be willing to give it a try, but do see your point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keys vs Cabo

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: