Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

AND NOW - HOw do those Jet engines REVERSE upon landing?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

AND NOW - HOw do those Jet engines REVERSE upon landing?

Old 03-21-2019, 10:16 PM
mchar
CF Senior Member

Liked 29 Times in 27 Posts

Space Shuttle Landing -
Old 03-21-2019, 10:48 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 59 Times in 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mchar View Post
Chief you have educated me and others with this thread. I appreciate it more than you know - I'm the OP!!
CFOT, I doubt there is a forum anywhere that can teach us things about anything in the world like CFOT does -
Airplanes Chief and ROTORHEAD - what?? -Fishing - Crabr1 - Annuities -777 - Real Estate - T+G Fan... and on and on...
I don't google anything. I CFOT anything I want to know. Not only will I get the right answer, I'll get 16 wrong answers, 42 jokes and a street fight all in one thread. It's entertaining and educational!
Old 03-22-2019, 12:15 PM
Silverback51
CF Senior Member

Liked 32 Times in 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
I don't google anything. I CFOT anything I want to know. Not only will I get the right answer, I'll get 16 wrong answers, 42 jokes and a street fight all in one thread. It's entertaining and educational!
Never really looked at it that way but you are correct VJ.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:44 PM
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chiefttp View Post
Big Jay E,
My explanation of the weight on wheels function was simplified for my post. There are a few different systems used on aircraft to ensure the thrust reversers don’t activate in flight. Most aircraft do have a “ weight on Wheels” / air ground mode system that allows certain systems to operate only in the Air or on the ground...Other jets, like the one in my avatar can deploy the thrust reversers in flight, the DC-8 could also. In the case of the C-17 (my avatar) we could deploy all 4 reversers and descend at 20,000 ft/minute. It came in handy at times flying into a combat zone, but you better be aware of what’s happening when you execute this tactic.
Beat me to it. I used to work at McDonnell Douglas. Some of my colleagues had previously worked as flight check engineers for Douglas Aircraft. On DC-8 check out flights, one of the thrills was to take the airplane to altitude and put the engines into reverse. Also, check out flights started in the morning, fiew to El Paso, a drive across the border for a session of boys R & R, and then flight back to Long Beach. The aerospace industry was a fun place to work up until the 70's.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:47 PM
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePirate View Post
A jet engine works on the exact principal as a fart, except you can't reverse a fart. You're welcome.
One thing a jet engine can't do. A fart can transition from pneumatic drive to hydraulic drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AND NOW - HOw do those Jet engines REVERSE upon landing?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: