Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

What are your top 3 favorite guitar solos?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

What are your top 3 favorite guitar solos?

Old 03-14-2019, 02:43 PM
Sawbone
CF Senior Member

Another vote for comfortably numb - David Gilmour

Kirk Hammett also has some great ones.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:43 PM
CycloneBrad
CF Senior Member

Hard to pick just 3

Limelight - Alex Lifeson
Comfortably Numb - David Gilmour
Stairway to Heaven- Jimmy Page

Last edited by CycloneBrad; 03-14-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:19 PM
RandolphB
CF Senior Member

Dancing With The Moonlit Knight- Genesis/ Steve Hackett
Finish Line- Frank Marino
Freebird- Allen Collins/ Lynyrd Skynyrd
Old 03-14-2019, 03:30 PM
Force-1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-' 15-'16-'17-'18-'19
I believe in the Beer Fairy
USAF (Retired) 1979-2001

Originally Posted by RandolphB View Post
Dancing With The Moonlit Knight- Genesis/ Steve Hackett
Finish Line- Frank Marino
Freebird- Allen Collins/ Lynyrd Skynyrd
Many years ago What's Next by Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush was one of my favorite albums.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:39 PM
H P Bushrod

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Machine Gun (live at the Fillmore East)-Jimi Hendrix
Johnny Be Goode (live at Berkeley)-Jimi Hendrix
Southbound Train (live at Woodstock)-Mountain

And many, many more....
Old 03-14-2019, 03:44 PM
SilverC1
CF Senior Member

Wow, too many to even try and pick.

The best solos, to me anyway, are ones where you know every note by heart, and could "sing" them from memory.

Being an amateur guitar player of limited skills, some of my favorites are ones that I can manage to play:

- Black Sabbath - "Paranoid" - very concise, fuzzed up solo from Tony Iommi. It starts out slow, but has some flurries in the second half
- Led Zep - "Whole Lotta Love" - I like how the multiple phrases are interspersed with the power chords
- Cream - "Sunshine of Your Love" - very lyrical, and a good use of bends
- Mountain - "Mississippi Queen". More of a "call and response" style with the main riffing. First an intro solo, then fills during the second verse (on the "call" parts), then the solo (on the "response" parts). What tone! (All from an old single-pickup Les Paul Jr., into a Sunn amp.)
Old 03-14-2019, 03:46 PM
sstonebreaker
CF Senior Member

Pretty much anything by Stevie Ray Vaughan, although Rude Mood and Texas Flood stand out. He does a pretty good version of Little Wing, too.

I like this video of him warming up with his band.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:50 PM
NotSlo
CF Senior Member

Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Force-1 View Post
Many years ago What's Next by Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush was one of my favorite albums.

Last edited by NotSlo; 03-14-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:10 PM
H P Bushrod

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker View Post
Pretty much anything by Stevie Ray Vaughan, although Rude Mood and Texas Flood stand out. He does a pretty good version of Little Wing, too.

I like this video of him warming up with his band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grBmQwLSlDw
Thanks for sharing that! Never seen it. Stevie Ray Vaughn is a legend...I've always been a fan.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:52 PM
Lee Hunt1919
CF Member

It's been overplayed, but I think Don Felder's "Hotel California" is up there.

Vince Gill's "Liza Jane"

Last edited by Lee Hunt1919; 03-14-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:24 PM
gpotski
CF Senior Member

Lou Reed's Sweet Jane, the long version...

Last edited by gpotski; 03-14-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:44 PM
Kenny94945
CF Senior Member

Got to vote for the solo of Whole Lotta Love..Led Zep Jimmy Page.
About a 30 seconds of solo.

There are many other great solos.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:46 PM
sstonebreaker
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by H P Bushrod View Post
Thanks for sharing that! Never seen it. Stevie Ray Vaughn is a legend...I've always been a fan.
Glad to meet another fan. I saw him in concert way back in 85 or 86 in Houston, on the worst date of my life. My college roommate had tickets, but came down with the flu. I didn't have a girlfriend at the time, but there was this cute girl in chem lab. Always wore a dress, which was very refreshing since Rice University was a total engineering school at the time, and with a male/female ratio of something like 5:1, finding a girl who even bothered to shave her pits was considered above the curve.

The first red flag came up before we even went out. I asked her if she'd like to go to a Stevie Ray Vaughan concert. "Who's that?" Man, I should have walked away right there.

Anyway, over dinner she kept talking about this club she belonged to... Maranatha or something like that. Turns out it was a church group. I'd never heard of them, but I'm christian, so I didn't see a problem. Yet.

So we get to Jones Hall and the concert starts. Well, it was a rock concert. Pretty soon you started to smell that smell. Hell, I wasn't smoking, what the hell was she getting her panties in a wad about? But the eyebrows came down, the arms crossed, the legs crossed... she even stopped looking at me. Oh well. At least dinner was fun. Then she wanted to leave. After three songs. Because you smell weed at a rock concert. Really? What kind of church do you go to, anyway? Hell, I knew this date was dead anyway, so I was damned if I was going to leave early.

So we drove home, and the whole time she was bitching about all the people around us smoking weed and drinking, and what a terrible person I was for associating with them. Being a smart ***, I asked her WWJD? Man, I had to turn the heater on in the car after that.

So when I dropper of at her dorm, I asked her, "Hey, you're not even going to shake my hand?" Dude, she actually shook my hand and said, "That's all you're going to get. I don't associate with sinners!" Man, I feel sorry for whoever she ended up with.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:48 PM
lite blue
CF Senior Member

Location: I'm going to need a bucket of ice and a roll of gaffer tape
St. Jude Donor '12

Judas Priest - Beyond the Realms of Death
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Floyd - Comfortably Numb

If you've never heard the Priest tune, check it out. One of the original bands with dueling leads...and they show it off.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:51 PM
gpotski
CF Senior Member

Glad to meet another fan. I saw him in concert way back in 85 or 86 in Houston, on the worst date of my life. My college roommate had tickets, but came down with the flu. I didn't have a girlfriend at the time, but there was this cute girl in chem lab. Always wore a dress, which was very refreshing since Rice University was a total engineering school at the time, and with a male/female ratio of something like 5:1, finding a girl who even bothered to shave her pits was considered above the curve.

The first red flag came up before we even went out. I asked her if she'd like to go to a Stevie Ray Vaughan concert. "Who's that?" Man, I should have walked away right there.

Anyway, over dinner she kept talking about this club she belonged to... Maranatha or something like that. Turns out it was a church group. I'd never heard of them, but I'm christian, so I didn't see a problem. Yet.

So we get to Jones Hall and the concert starts. Well, it was a rock concert. Pretty soon you started to smell that smell. Hell, I wasn't smoking, what the hell was she getting her panties in a wad about? But the eyebrows came down, the arms crossed, the legs crossed... she even stopped looking at me. Oh well. At least dinner was fun. Then she wanted to leave. After three songs. Because you smell weed at a rock concert. Really? What kind of church do you go to, anyway? Hell, I knew this date was dead anyway, so I was damned if I was going to leave early.

So we drove home, and the whole time she was bitching about all the people around us smoking weed and drinking, and what a terrible person I was for associating with them. Being a smart ***, I asked her WWJD? Man, I had to turn the heater on in the car after that.

So when I dropper of at her dorm, I asked her, "Hey, you're not even going to shake my hand?" Dude, she actually shook my hand and said, "That's all you're going to get. I don't associate with sinners!" Man, I feel sorry for whoever she ended up with.
She had you figured out right quick...

Old 03-14-2019, 06:04 PM
lite blue
CF Senior Member

Location: I'm going to need a bucket of ice and a roll of gaffer tape
St. Jude Donor '12

Here's the Priest tune. It's the original studio. KK Downing is the last little solo, but Glen Tipton is the main solo in the middle, and he kills it. I've shaken hands with both him and Halford backstage after a show. Really nice guys.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:05 PM
sstonebreaker
CF Senior Member

Old 03-14-2019, 06:05 PM
H P Bushrod

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks for sharing that story. I've got a wake up call for Ms. High & Mighty, Jesus didn't hang around with the cream of the crop either and we're ALL sinners.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:08 PM
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member

Werent the Pink Floyd albums, an entire prolonged guitar solo???
Old 03-14-2019, 08:34 PM
MagRedConv
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gpotski View Post
Lou Reed's Sweet Jane, the long version...

http://youtu.be/r4jxynEiowE

Great pick, that intro is epic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are your top 3 favorite guitar solos?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: