Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

The Best Ratchet you will ever own

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

The Best Ratchet you will ever own

Old 03-15-2019, 11:06 AM
psychodiagnostik
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Digital Disaster View Post
Sorry, Snap-On stuff is stupid expensive. There's equally good tools available for far less.
I'm a bit of a tool geek and SnapOn is definitely lust-worthy but I believe anything off a tool truck is overkill, unless you're using the tools for your livelihood.

However, good "hobbyist" mechanics tools are getting harder to find. Sears Craftsman as remembered from 20 years ago is histo, as are the various Kobalt and other branded tools that were made by Danaher, Williams, etc,

My personal favorite currently is SK. A rung above most other "homeowner" tools but not as pricey as SnapOn, Matco, etc. Probably 90% of the quality as the tools from a truck, at 40% of the price.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:39 AM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

I believe in the Beer Fairy

There is at least one person here not surprised.

Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
Then you're doing it wrong. I'm from the rust belt also. I used the torch and squirrel **** whenever and wherever I could before using the wrench or ratchet with a breaker bar, or using a 50 year old worn out socket and ratchet hand me down from you grandpa. I've been wrenching for a number of years, and the only tools I have broken was when I using a hammer and a breaker bar where I probably shouldn't have.
I've broken a few tools over the years. It happens rarely. I don't think I ever broke a Craftsman tool that wasn't being abused/used for something unintended. I try to never do that.

3/8 Universals with an impact wrench (1/2"). 3/8 ratchet with a bar... 3/8" to 1/4" adapter... Split open a crowfoot wrench and this was the tool's fault... I split one socket... That might cover all the failures I've had in my lifetime. I agree, folks who break more stuff that that are doing something wrong. They need proper tools for the job, buy some more.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:20 PM
wadenelson
CF Senior Member

Can I re-titled this thread from "The best ratchet wrench" to the "Most time-saving" ratchet wrench? Honestly, I wasn't trying to promote Snap-on, just THIS STYLE of swivel head ratchet, to the few of you who don't already own one.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:26 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post
Can I re-titled this thread from "The best ratchet wrench" to the "Most time-saving" ratchet wrench? Honestly, I wasn't trying to promote Snap-on, just THIS STYLE of swivel head ratchet, to the few of you who don't already own one.
I own one and find the swivel head to be a huge pita... To each their own though. I much prefer the small Craftsman 3/8 or 1/4 drive ratchets of old. That handle flopping around has always been a nuisance for me.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:50 PM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

I have several ratchets and a few in the flex head design. Haven't found that "must have" need yet for that swivel head, yet.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:45 PM
RAMMAN
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19

Hereís a fair sample of my 3/8 ďratchets, I know I have several more but these were handy. Out of all the ones Iíve used over the years I like the Snap On bent handle flex head in the foreground the best. Probably for the same reason the OP likes his, once you break the fastener loose you can just spin it out.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:55 PM
KWIL
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I only have one Snap-on tool, a 1/4 inch swivel head ratchet. And it broke. I keep hoping to see a Snap-on truck around so I can get a replacement but hasn't happened yet.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:41 PM
Nowhere Man
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,368 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by psychodiagnostik View Post
I'm a bit of a tool geek and SnapOn is definitely lust-worthy but I believe anything off a tool truck is overkill, unless you're using the tools for your livelihood.

However, good "hobbyist" mechanics tools are getting harder to find. Sears Craftsman as remembered from 20 years ago is histo, as are the various Kobalt and other branded tools that were made by Danaher, Williams, etc,

My personal favorite currently is SK. A rung above most other "homeowner" tools but not as pricey as SnapOn, Matco, etc. Probably 90% of the quality as the tools from a truck, at 40% of the price.

I was spoiled by my dad who had snap on tools growing up. So that is what I am use to. When I got to use other sub par brands I know right away and rather have Snap On or Mac. So if you never used one you donít know what your missing. But if that is what your use to then nothing comes close.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:09 PM
RAMMAN
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
I was spoiled by my dad who had snap on tools growing up. So that is what I am use to. When I got to use other sub par brands I know right away and rather have Snap On or Mac. So if you never used one you donít know what your missing. But if that is what your use to then nothing comes close.

100% true, I have several older Craftsman sets that I kept in my cars and my home garage before I retired. But if I had a big repair job planned on one of my cars at home, Iíd bring home my Snap On tools from work for that job. They just work better, fit better and feel better and I already paid thru the nose for them why not use them? When I retired it was a really big deal to me to get all of my tools home and get the time to finish up my projects.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:20 PM
CurtP
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by RAMMAN View Post
Hereís a fair sample of my 3/8 ďratchets, I know I have several more but these were handy. Out of all the ones Iíve used over the years I like the Snap On bent handle flex head in the foreground the best. Probably for the same reason the OP likes his, once you break the fastener loose you can just spin it out.

Yours and the OP's favorite ratchets are my most hated socket/knuckle busters.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:49 AM
J Carr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
Same. I got all of my dad's tools when he passed. It's a substantial amount as he was a mechanic by trade. The Mac and Snap On feel better. Craftsmen is sloppy as can be. I have broken one snap on recently though and discovered that apparently my dad had broken one too (believe that ive was a Mac). The one I broke was my favorite and most used ratchet. They both have his initials on them so there is some sentimental value and the reason for me not rushing to replace them though.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:32 AM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Craftsman hand tools have always sucked. Big fat wrenches, crude ratchets, kids beginner tools. Ones you use the hammers on....
Old 03-16-2019, 11:47 AM
noonie
CF Senior Member

GearWrench has a lifetime warranty. Big deal, you can buy 2 or 3 of the Gear Wrench product to the equivalent of 1 Snap On.
You have to be a full time mechanic to abuse tools like that and need the warranty IMO.
By the looks of the wrenchers here on OT, seems all you have to worry about is how much you can wax them and how shiny they are.

Pretty much had Snapon all my life exclusively.
Started with some Gearwrench stuff a couple years ago and they seem every bit as good a quality.
Only downside is that they don't have the guy coming around all the time.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:49 PM
RAMMAN
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by noonie View Post

Pretty much had Snapon all my life exclusively.
Started with some Gearwrench stuff a couple years ago and they seem every bit as good a quality.
Only downside is that they don't have the guy coming around all the time.
I purchased a Gearwrench serpentine belt tool kit & a Flex Head metric ratcheting wrench set several years ago. They seem to work ok and the price was good, but the overall quality really seems lacking. The fact that there made in China doesnít inspire a lot of confidence for me either.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:38 AM
ptindall
CF Senior Member

Craftsman hand tools have always sucked. Big fat wrenches, crude ratchets, kids beginner tools. Ones you use the hammers on....
Agreed. I've never understood why so many act like Craftsman are good tools in this forum.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:13 AM
wadenelson
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
Yours and the OP's favorite ratchets are my most hated socket/knuckle busters.
The swivel head in mine doesn't flop freely from one side to another, as the one(s?) you had apparently did.

I agree, it's exceedingly annoying when you can't aim a wrench because the head is flopping around.

Feel free to mail me your despised swivel heads
Old 03-17-2019, 11:33 AM
wadenelson
CF Senior Member

It ain't the wrench it's the competence of the guy swinging it Karl.

Last edited by wadenelson; 03-17-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:06 PM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post
It ain't the wrench it's the competence of the guy swinging it Karl.
Competence has nothing do on how tools are built. Especially when wrenches are too fat to get into tight spaces, or ratchets are 72 tooth when you need a 120, pretty simple to distinguish good tools from mediocre ones.

Compare a Craftsman ratcheting wrench to a Snap-On or GearWrench. Craftsman wrenches have big fat oversize heads, and fat handles compared to other tools. Often makes all the difference on getting access to a bolt.

Too each his own.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:08 PM
mrvette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
I only have one Snap-on tool, a 1/4 inch swivel head ratchet. And it broke. I keep hoping to see a Snap-on truck around so I can get a replacement but hasn't happened yet.
I have one of them too, and the thing has been through the snap trucks 2-3 times, and so it was the head itself that's flat worn out....pix of it to snap, and they sent a fixed head just like it, and no flex....they no longer make the 1/4 inch flex ratshit......oh well....
Old 03-17-2019, 05:04 PM
3X2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
Agreed. I've never understood why so many act like Craftsman are good tools in this forum.
I don't understand it either. Just because my 1972 Craftsman tool box, quick release fine tooth ratchets, dozens of sockets, extensions, pliers, and wrenches still serve me well still to this day, they must not be any good. And, I turn wrenches for a living and have done so since 1973. I also have my fair share of Mac, Matco, Snap-on, Kent Moore, Lisle tools in my 14 tool boxes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Best Ratchet you will ever own

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: