Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Medical release question

Old 03-14-2019, 12:46 PM
jasonsamara
CF Senior Member

Default Medical release question

My friend who has advanced Parkinsonís is in the hospital again. He has been hallucinating for a number of years but lately it has become to much for him to handle.

A week ago he was trying to get away from these ďvisitorsĒ and drove his car into a ditch below his house. His distant family and neighbor has been able to keep him from driving.

Monday he once again felt threatened and left his house early in the morning and fell in a ditch. He climbed out of the ditch and walked down to the main road and was wondering around trying to hitch hike. A lady stopped and called the police and the police got him home.

His neighbor, his preacher and I have kept a close watch on him. I took him to get dinner the other night and he talks more about his hallucinations than the real world. He carries a machete down to the tire shop 2 days ago trying to escape his visitors again.

So Tuesday I stopped and he was in a horrible state of mind. I left when the preacher came by and shortly after he walked right off a platform in his house and ended up in the hospital.

He is very smart and has never signed over any rights or signed a POA or signed a will. He called me at midnight the other night wasting to go home. He just isnít making any sense.

Today he called me and the doctor wants him to go to a nursing home for a week or two. He called me thinking I have some kind of rights and that I signed him over. He then accused his family of trying to get him in the nursing home. I have been in constant contact with his family and nobody has signed anything or talked to the doctor.

My question is can a doctor make him go or not release him? In his current state he is just an accident waiting to happen and Iím afraid heís gonna get right back home in his current state.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:00 PM
The Creeper
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Tough situation, I hope the medical community is working hard on these brain illnesses. I went to visit my dad (Alzheimer’s) in the nursing home yesterday and he didn’t recognize me, and he couldn’t remember the names of my brothers. I know he is unhappy in the nursing home but there is really no alternative.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:11 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

I believe in the Beer Fairy

What an ordeal... I'm in the process of figuring out the same thing. There's a lot of misinformation from hospitals, doctors, etc. They lie like *****.

My story would be twice as long as yours. BIL on Sunday was given 1-7 days to live. I've been supplying food daily, (leaving for there momentarily) and he's gone from BP of 70/48 to yesterday he was able to stand again and step around. Had to carry him in the house Sunday. Also had to fight for 3 hours to sign him out, and by having what I think was the wrong person sign, it's a major pita.

My sister had breast cancer and chemo and her brain is fried. Short term memory is terrible. Otherwise she's an RN and has been his caregiver for some time. But, the doctors want to say she's not fit so we need to have 24/7 supervision, in spite of the BIL being 100% lucid and in perfect state of mind. I need to find a lawyer today while I'm there. This is such horseshit. And they lied so far about a number of things. So, I'm not trusting any of what the doctors, social workers or hospital say.

Best of luck in your mess.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:32 PM
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

I have heard of the mental aberrations with Parkinson's patients but have not had such problems yet.. Maybe I never will. But I surely emphasize with persons who are suffering and those who try to be care givers. When I would reach such a state, my spouse has already been advised by me to put me into a place who can do their job..
Old 03-14-2019, 01:39 PM
Rky Mtn C6
CF Senior Member

Having him committed depends on your state law. In Colorado a Dr. can place an M1 hold on a patient. Initial time is 3 days. It also can be extended if there is difficulty finding a facility to take the patient. Once in the facility an evaluation is done. The patient can be released or placed in a facility involuntarily if necessary. In your case family needs to consult with the person's doctor about placing him in a facility.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:51 PM
mrscott25
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jasonsamara View Post
My friend who has advanced Parkinsonís is in the hospital again. He has been hallucinating for a number of years but lately it has become to much for him to handle.

A week ago he was trying to get away from these ďvisitorsĒ and drove his car into a ditch below his house. His distant family and neighbor has been able to keep him from driving.

Monday he once again felt threatened and left his house early in the morning and fell in a ditch. He climbed out of the ditch and walked down to the main road and was wondering around trying to hitch hike. A lady stopped and called the police and the police got him home.

His neighbor, his preacher and I have kept a close watch on him. I took him to get dinner the other night and he talks more about his hallucinations than the real world. He carries a machete down to the tire shop 2 days ago trying to escape his visitors again.

So Tuesday I stopped and he was in a horrible state of mind. I left when the preacher came by and shortly after he walked right off a platform in his house and ended up in the hospital.

He is very smart and has never signed over any rights or signed a POA or signed a will. He called me at midnight the other night wasting to go home. He just isnít making any sense.

Today he called me and the doctor wants him to go to a nursing home for a week or two. He called me thinking I have some kind of rights and that I signed him over. He then accused his family of trying to get him in the nursing home. I have been in constant contact with his family and nobody has signed anything or talked to the doctor.

My question is can a doctor make him go or not release him? In his current state he is just an accident waiting to happen and Iím afraid heís gonna get right back home in his current state.
Doctor cannot just "make" him go. However, doctor can commit him through a judicial process if he sees fit. BUT....Doctor is not going to do that unless it gets very very serious. Even when the doc is right he will still have to deal with 2nd guessing lawyers and pissed family.

Your friends best hope now is for someone to get involved and take charge of his situation. Absent a document naming you it will need to fall to the family.

You are doing the absolute right thing keeping in touch with the family. You should continue to do so and push for someone in his family to get to court and push for the authority to make decisions for him. Court is very likely to grant it to a family member quickly, especially if other family members will agree.

Family is going to be nervous about making him upset and taking away his rights. When that objection comes up, remind them that at this point what he "thinks" is less important that what is best for him.

Finally, you are likely to hear plenty of "its not your problem" and "why get involved?" To hell with anyone who questions it. Just keep doing the right thing.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Dodosmike
CF Senior Member

I had the unlucky responsibility to put both my parents into Long Term Care.
Dad do to physical limitations (GBS and metastatic cancer) and Moms dementia.

Fk what everybody says, you have to do what best for the "patient". Is it safe for them to be home? Alone or even with somebody? Get the family involved.
Unless you can get a lawyer to complete and witness POA for care and finances, but you may already be SOL on that front. Your friend will have to be "lucid" and understand what he's signing, if the lawyer doesn't believe he's "of sound mind", then its to late, things just got more complicated. If there IS a lucid moment or two have him do a will as well.

Dr could say he's not releasing him unless he has somewhere other then "home" to go to. All depends on his safety and the bed situation at the hospital he's in.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:38 PM
jasonsamara
CF Senior Member

Well he got out. He is home and I can tell from his voice heís still having problems. I think heís pissed because I thought he should go to the nursing home. His family member will be here today so that makes me feel better.

I really donít want to be involved in this ordeal but when I see absolutely no safety net I feel Iím obligated to. Make no mistake he is why he has no support system. He is so hard headed and only wants things to be the way he wants them and heís always been that way. However at the end of the day I donít want my friend to fall and die.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:12 AM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Advanced Parkinsons victims live in a different reality. This is best left up to family members at this point. Not much you can do. Highly recommend the family pull the keys to the car and get him in a care center before he kills someone.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:03 AM
Turbodude
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mrscott25 View Post

Family is going to be nervous about making him upset and taking away his rights. When that objection comes up, remind them that at this point what he "thinks" is less important that what is best for him.
Tough situation. I would leave all key decisions to the patient until all avenues have been exhausted. Lucidity comes and goes...that's a problem. If he's not lucid, then okay..make the decisions for him. But if he has an episode of lucidity, then he has to be back in control pf those decisions.

It's his life and nobody elses....unless his actions could harm others.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:14 AM
Turbodude
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jasonsamara View Post
Well he got out. He is home and I can tell from his voice heís still having problems. I think heís pissed because I thought he should go to the nursing home. His family member will be here today so that makes me feel better.

I really donít want to be involved in this ordeal but when I see absolutely no safety net I feel Iím obligated to. Make no mistake he is why he has no support system. He is so hard headed and only wants things to be the way he wants them and heís always been that way. However at the end of the day I donít want my friend to fall and die.
Sit down and have a detailed talk with your friend and try to figure out how to handle situations when he is incapable of doing so himself. Get his input and concurrence while he is capable of comprehending the situation he is putting you in. If he needs your help, HE also needs to accept the consequences of any decisions you make when he can't make those decisions for himself. Put things into writing. Formalize it to the extent you can. Otherwise some aggrieved family member may come after you.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:43 AM
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

If you can get a family member to get him when he is lucid with a notary present try to get him to sign over power of attorney, etc... If not the next time he carries a machete down to the tire shop call the police, say he is a danger to others and himself and they can have him taken to a hospital for evaluation and maybe they can have him committed.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:54 AM
TurboTnZ06
CF Senior Member

In FL they can Baker act him. Maybe a vacation to FL, and a long stay at shady acres?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Mental_Health_Act

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Medical release question

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: