Force-1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-' 15-'16-'17-'18-'19
I believe in the Beer Fairy
USAF (Retired) 1979-2001

Default Chernobyl - An HBO Mini Series

This looks damn good - but horrific and terrifying!

Old 03-30-2019, 10:07 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Received 301 Likes on 239 Posts

Years ago I spent days and weeks reading on the kid of speed site. It's absolutely fascinating seeing her photos and descriptions of the restricted area. It single-handedly brought down the Soviet Union. If you overlay the evacuation area over the Northeastern United States, just pretending that it was Three Mile Island, you basically have to evacuate the entire Northeast. I don't think he even this economy in this country could withstand that. Not to mention they also lost the most prosperous natural gas area on the planet.

Last edited by K-Spaz; 03-30-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:13 PM
Craq
CF Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I was a Navy nuke in the 80s & 90s...we had training on this annually. I'd be interested in seeing this.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:17 PM
Voytek
CF Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts

I was 5 years old when it happened. I remember taking iodine pills in Poland... in retrospect... that explains the enlarged appendages
Old 03-30-2019, 10:34 PM
Steve_R
‘Sack
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,190 Likes on 992 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I’ll watch it - with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Chornobyl and TMI have absolutely nothing in common.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:03 AM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 341 Likes on 314 Posts

You may want to watch "Pandoras Promise" before you watch this. Should be interesting.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:09 AM
Tuco
CF Senior Member

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Old 03-31-2019, 08:15 AM
7vettes
CF Senior Member

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've been to Chernobyl.....seven.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:28 AM
wadenelson
CF Senior Member

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by caskiguy View Post
You may want to watch "Pandoras Promise" before you watch this. Should be interesting.
Or not: https://www.ecowatch.com/3-myths-fro...881814544.html
Old 03-31-2019, 08:29 AM
gilhuly
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Voytek View Post
I was 5 years old when it happened. I remember taking iodine pills in Poland... in retrospect... that explains the enlarged appendages
drop the magnifying glass
Old 03-31-2019, 09:10 AM
20Z0602
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7vettes View Post
I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've been to Chernobyl.....seven.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:21 AM
Rule292
CF Senior Member

Location: Filling the public teat for liberals to suckle off of.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
I’ll watch it - with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Chornobyl and TMI have absolutely nothing in common.
Expect most everything in the entertainment arena to be half propaganda half drama. One hundred percent opinion with little actual physics or science.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:57 AM
Gordon Shumway
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Years ago I spent days and weeks reading on the kid of speed site. It's absolutely fascinating seeing her photos and descriptions of the restricted area. It single-handedly brought down the Soviet Union. If you overlay the evacuation area over the Northeastern United States, just pretending that it was Three Mile Island, you basically have to evacuate the entire Northeast. I don't think he even this economy in this country could withstand that. Not to mention they also lost the most prosperous natural gas area on the planet.
Ok Spaz, I think you might need to redo your math here. Whether it was right or wrong, the evacuation area at the time of the disaster was a 30km radius, which is roughly 1100 square miles, and the the exclusion zone today is 1000 square miles, although irregular and not a radius. That is 1/9 the size of the state of NH (9349 sq. miles). It would still be an epic disaster anywhere in the northeast, but certainly not the entire northeast.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:58 AM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 341 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post
You found something connected to Ecowatch &CNN that also produce BS headlines like, UN Report: Extreme Weather Displaced 2 Million People in 2018? Thats it ?

The Associated Press reported that the nation "has no place to permanently the material, which stays dangerous for tens of thousands of years." Most of this waste currently "sits in water-filled cooling pools like those at the Fukushima Dai-ichi" at the power plants themselves, some of which "contain four times the amount of spent fuel that they were designed to handle."

Something wrong with Yucca Mountain Depository ? Or was it just Harrys political BS that kept it shut down ?
And if I may ask, What about Westinghouse Electric and Pebble bed Reactors ?

Or https://rethinkingnuclear.org/nuclear-power-facts/

So how many people have died due to the "emissions" released from a Nuclear plant versus Carbon releasing plants ?

We can thank Jane Fonda, Al Gore as well as others for their hysterical BS distorting a very important subject of power generation for human use.

Fact is I'll be dead and long gone before this BS is ever settled. Now back to working on my carbon burning 70' Corvette.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:59 AM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
Ok Spaz, I think you might need to redo your math here. Whether it was right or wrong, the evacuation area at the time of the disaster was a 30km radius, which is roughly 1100 square miles, and the the exclusion zone today is 1000 square miles, although irregular and not a radius. That is 1/9 the size of the state of NH (9349 sq. miles). It would still be an epic disaster anywhere in the northeast, but certainly not the entire northeast.
Huh? It's possible we both have a math error there huh?

I believe you're talking about the permanent evacuation area where I am talking about the affected area. Just do a Google search for Chernobyl evacuation area map and then take that to scale and put it over a US map. Just look at the CIA maps from 1996 and then consider that it's widely accepted that it's still expanding.

It's a very big area and it's right smack in the middle of their natural gas production. I do believe I've seen stats wear a little over 90% of their gas production stopped after that.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:21 PM
Gordon Shumway
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Huh? It's possible we both have a math error there huh?

I believe you're talking about the permanent evacuation area where I am talking about the affected area. Just do a Google search for Chernobyl evacuation area map and then take that to scale and put it over a US map. Just look at the CIA maps from 1996 and then consider that it's widely accepted that it's still expanding.

It's a very big area and it's right smack in the middle of their natural gas production. I do believe I've seen stats wear a little over 90% of their gas production stopped after that.

I was just responding to what you wrote. The evacuation zone was a 30km radius, and the current exclusion area is right around the same area. There are a lot of villages pretty closely surrounding that exclusion zone today. They may all have 2 heads, but they are living there.

There was, of course, a big radioactive cloud that managed to about cover Europe when it went over, and I'm sure many more people have left the area that haven't been forced to. But at the same time downtown Kiev is only 70 miles from the reactor, and it was never evacuated, nor have any other larger cities inside 100 miles from the reactor.

Here is an overlay of the exclusion zone on NYC.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:48 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

What you are showing is the area that is not to be inhabited ever again in the next Thousand Years. The epicenter of the problem. I've also never seen a map of the area that was contiguous. Yours is like one round blob where that's not remotely what it looks like from any documentation I've seen. I know if you go to the kid of speed site, where she's been documenting this for 20 some years now , her figures differ from yours by several orders of magnitude.

Here's an article of hers from a trip in 2017 if you care to read.
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/ki...one/page1.html

According to her figures, towns are dead in a roughly 155 mile radius, of a very irregular shape, with spots here and there inhabited. I read years ago that Geiger counters are a commodity item over there as common as cell phones.

Last edited by K-Spaz; 03-31-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:48 PM
001pewter
CF Senior Member

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Preview looks

Watched the Nova show about the sarcophagus and it getting moved into place.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:16 PM
RandomTask
CF Senior Member

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

Theres a video on YT from a couple of years ago of people walking around the reactor lid and the pieces of graphite (recently). All the nope.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:36 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Voytek View Post
Iodine makes your calves get big?

Last edited by dvarapala; 03-31-2019 at 03:41 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chernobyl - An HBO Mini Series

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: