Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Chernobyl - An HBO Mini Series

 
Old 03-30-2019, 08:33 PM
  #1  
Force-1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Force-1's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 29,881
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-' 15-'16-'17-'18-'19
I believe in the Beer Fairy
USAF (Retired) 1979-2001

Default Chernobyl - An HBO Mini Series

This looks damn good - but horrific and terrifying!

Force-1 is offline  
Old 03-30-2019, 10:07 PM
  #2  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 29,616
Received 301 Likes on 239 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Years ago I spent days and weeks reading on the kid of speed site. It's absolutely fascinating seeing her photos and descriptions of the restricted area. It single-handedly brought down the Soviet Union. If you overlay the evacuation area over the Northeastern United States, just pretending that it was Three Mile Island, you basically have to evacuate the entire Northeast. I don't think he even this economy in this country could withstand that. Not to mention they also lost the most prosperous natural gas area on the planet.

Last edited by K-Spaz; 03-30-2019 at 10:08 PM.
K-Spaz is offline  
Old 03-30-2019, 10:13 PM
  #3  
Craq
CF Senior Member
 
Craq's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Posts: 12,062
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I was a Navy nuke in the 80s & 90s...we had training on this annually. I'd be interested in seeing this.
Craq is offline  
Old 03-30-2019, 10:17 PM
  #4  
Voytek
CF Senior Member
 
Voytek's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: Corvette owner since 1999 - Chicago Illinois
Posts: 19,624
Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

I was 5 years old when it happened. I remember taking iodine pills in Poland... in retrospect... that explains the enlarged appendages
Voytek is offline  
Old 03-30-2019, 10:34 PM
  #5  
Steve_R
‘Sack
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Steve_R's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Location: On the beach
Posts: 28,513
Received 2,190 Likes on 992 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
Default

I’ll watch it - with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Chornobyl and TMI have absolutely nothing in common.
Steve_R is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 12:03 AM
  #6  
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
caskiguy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Sherman Oaks California
Posts: 2,681
Received 341 Likes on 314 Posts
Default

You may want to watch "Pandoras Promise" before you watch this. Should be interesting.
caskiguy is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 12:09 AM
  #7  
Tuco
CF Senior Member
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Posts: 27,014
Likes: 0
Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default

Tuco is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 08:15 AM
  #8  
7vettes
CF Senior Member
 
7vettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2001
Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Posts: 14,690
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've been to Chernobyl.....seven.
7vettes is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 08:28 AM
  #9  
wadenelson
CF Senior Member
 
wadenelson's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Posts: 465
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by caskiguy View Post
You may want to watch "Pandoras Promise" before you watch this. Should be interesting.
Or not: https://www.ecowatch.com/3-myths-fro...881814544.html
wadenelson is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 08:29 AM
  #10  
gilhuly
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
gilhuly's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2010
Location: Lincoln NE
Posts: 29,734
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Voytek View Post
I was 5 years old when it happened. I remember taking iodine pills in Poland... in retrospect... that explains the enlarged appendages
drop the magnifying glass
gilhuly is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 09:10 AM
  #11  
20Z0602
CF Senior Member
 
20Z0602's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Cohasset MA
Posts: 220
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 7vettes View Post
I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've been to Chernobyl.....seven.
20Z0602 is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 09:21 AM
  #12  
Rule292
CF Senior Member
 
Rule292's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Filling the public teat for liberals to suckle off of.
Posts: 10,203
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
Default

Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
I’ll watch it - with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Chornobyl and TMI have absolutely nothing in common.
Expect most everything in the entertainment arena to be half propaganda half drama. One hundred percent opinion with little actual physics or science.
Rule292 is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 09:57 AM
  #13  
Gordon Shumway
CF Senior Member
 
Gordon Shumway's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Location: Ocala FL
Posts: 22,185
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Years ago I spent days and weeks reading on the kid of speed site. It's absolutely fascinating seeing her photos and descriptions of the restricted area. It single-handedly brought down the Soviet Union. If you overlay the evacuation area over the Northeastern United States, just pretending that it was Three Mile Island, you basically have to evacuate the entire Northeast. I don't think he even this economy in this country could withstand that. Not to mention they also lost the most prosperous natural gas area on the planet.
Ok Spaz, I think you might need to redo your math here. Whether it was right or wrong, the evacuation area at the time of the disaster was a 30km radius, which is roughly 1100 square miles, and the the exclusion zone today is 1000 square miles, although irregular and not a radius. That is 1/9 the size of the state of NH (9349 sq. miles). It would still be an epic disaster anywhere in the northeast, but certainly not the entire northeast.
Gordon Shumway is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 09:58 AM
  #14  
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
caskiguy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Sherman Oaks California
Posts: 2,681
Received 341 Likes on 314 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post
You found something connected to Ecowatch &CNN that also produce BS headlines like, UN Report: Extreme Weather Displaced 2 Million People in 2018? Thats it ?

The Associated Press reported that the nation "has no place to permanently the material, which stays dangerous for tens of thousands of years." Most of this waste currently "sits in water-filled cooling pools like those at the Fukushima Dai-ichi" at the power plants themselves, some of which "contain four times the amount of spent fuel that they were designed to handle."

Something wrong with Yucca Mountain Depository ? Or was it just Harrys political BS that kept it shut down ?
And if I may ask, What about Westinghouse Electric and Pebble bed Reactors ?

Or https://rethinkingnuclear.org/nuclear-power-facts/

So how many people have died due to the "emissions" released from a Nuclear plant versus Carbon releasing plants ?

We can thank Jane Fonda, Al Gore as well as others for their hysterical BS distorting a very important subject of power generation for human use.

Fact is I'll be dead and long gone before this BS is ever settled. Now back to working on my carbon burning 70' Corvette.
caskiguy is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 10:59 AM
  #15  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 29,616
Received 301 Likes on 239 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
Ok Spaz, I think you might need to redo your math here. Whether it was right or wrong, the evacuation area at the time of the disaster was a 30km radius, which is roughly 1100 square miles, and the the exclusion zone today is 1000 square miles, although irregular and not a radius. That is 1/9 the size of the state of NH (9349 sq. miles). It would still be an epic disaster anywhere in the northeast, but certainly not the entire northeast.
Huh? It's possible we both have a math error there huh?

I believe you're talking about the permanent evacuation area where I am talking about the affected area. Just do a Google search for Chernobyl evacuation area map and then take that to scale and put it over a US map. Just look at the CIA maps from 1996 and then consider that it's widely accepted that it's still expanding.

It's a very big area and it's right smack in the middle of their natural gas production. I do believe I've seen stats wear a little over 90% of their gas production stopped after that.
K-Spaz is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 01:21 PM
  #16  
Gordon Shumway
CF Senior Member
 
Gordon Shumway's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Location: Ocala FL
Posts: 22,185
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Huh? It's possible we both have a math error there huh?

I believe you're talking about the permanent evacuation area where I am talking about the affected area. Just do a Google search for Chernobyl evacuation area map and then take that to scale and put it over a US map. Just look at the CIA maps from 1996 and then consider that it's widely accepted that it's still expanding.

It's a very big area and it's right smack in the middle of their natural gas production. I do believe I've seen stats wear a little over 90% of their gas production stopped after that.

I was just responding to what you wrote. The evacuation zone was a 30km radius, and the current exclusion area is right around the same area. There are a lot of villages pretty closely surrounding that exclusion zone today. They may all have 2 heads, but they are living there.

There was, of course, a big radioactive cloud that managed to about cover Europe when it went over, and I'm sure many more people have left the area that haven't been forced to. But at the same time downtown Kiev is only 70 miles from the reactor, and it was never evacuated, nor have any other larger cities inside 100 miles from the reactor.





Here is an overlay of the exclusion zone on NYC.


Gordon Shumway is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 01:48 PM
  #17  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 29,616
Received 301 Likes on 239 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

What you are showing is the area that is not to be inhabited ever again in the next Thousand Years. The epicenter of the problem. I've also never seen a map of the area that was contiguous. Yours is like one round blob where that's not remotely what it looks like from any documentation I've seen. I know if you go to the kid of speed site, where she's been documenting this for 20 some years now , her figures differ from yours by several orders of magnitude.

Here's an article of hers from a trip in 2017 if you care to read.
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/ki...one/page1.html

According to her figures, towns are dead in a roughly 155 mile radius, of a very irregular shape, with spots here and there inhabited. I read years ago that Geiger counters are a commodity item over there as common as cell phones.

Last edited by K-Spaz; 03-31-2019 at 01:52 PM.
K-Spaz is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 02:48 PM
  #18  
001pewter
CF Senior Member
 
001pewter's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 13,180
Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18
Default

Preview looks

Watched the Nova show about the sarcophagus and it getting moved into place.
001pewter is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 03:16 PM
  #19  
RandomTask
CF Senior Member
 
RandomTask's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Location: Alexandria VA
Posts: 11,316
Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

Theres a video on YT from a couple of years ago of people walking around the reactor lid and the pieces of graphite (recently). All the nope.
RandomTask is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 03:36 PM
  #20  
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!
 
dvarapala's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Tír na nÓg
Posts: 34,539
Received 72 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Voytek View Post
I was 5 years old when it happened. I remember taking iodine pills in Poland... in retrospect... that explains the enlarged appendages
Iodine makes your calves get big?

Last edited by dvarapala; 03-31-2019 at 03:41 PM.
dvarapala is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chernobyl - An HBO Mini Series


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: