Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

The scene at my house this morning

 
Old 04-17-2019, 09:02 AM
  #41  
gilhuly
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
gilhuly's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2010
Location: Lincoln NE
Posts: 29,678
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

how many stories up are you going?

elevator?
gilhuly is online now  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 AM
  #42  
ptindall
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ptindall's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Picking on the weakest kid in the yard.
Posts: 26,566
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BOTYNV1 View Post
Nice start. A good size as well.
Originally Posted by Sabre34 View Post
Exciting, congrats!
Thanks!


Originally Posted by centuryoldracer View Post
The nice thing about 16' walls is that hight makes expanding later super easy. Mine started out 50x50 and is now 50x100 because I kicked both sides out another 25'
What pitch will your roof be as that will also be a factor in how far out you can go later?
Only 12:1. No snow load considerations.

Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Looks great bro. Gotta admit, I'm a bit jealous.


Originally Posted by War Eagle ZO6 View Post
That looks pretty big, how many square feet without reading entire thread?
2400.

Originally Posted by gilhuly View Post
how many stories up are you going?

elevator?
Kinda.
ptindall is online now  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:03 AM
  #43  
Swany00
CF Senior Member
 
Swany00's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Sacramento Ca
Posts: 73,393
Likes: 0
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by centuryoldracer View Post
Holy cow, I added 1250 SF on to my shop, and the concrete work was just under 4 grand.
they tried to gouge me, that's why I'm not using them. Going to do the prep work myself and find another outfit to pour the concrete...fkn robbers
Swany00 is online now  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:07 AM
  #44  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 29,467
Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by Swany00 View Post
they tried to gouge me, that's why I'm not using them. Going to do the prep work myself and find another outfit to pour the concrete...fkn robbers
Wait a minute, haven't you given me flak for saying/doing the same thing?
K-Spaz is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:09 AM
  #45  
Swany00
CF Senior Member
 
Swany00's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Sacramento Ca
Posts: 73,393
Likes: 0
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Wait a minute, haven't you given me flak for saying/doing the same thing?
you might be a tight wad but I wouldn't give you **** about paying for something which is clearly gouging, that's just stupid. I'm a better ******* than that
Swany00 is online now  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:18 AM
  #46  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 29,467
Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by Swany00 View Post
you might be a tight wad but I wouldn't give you **** about paying for something which is clearly gouging, that's just stupid. I'm a better ******* than that
Well I have a ton of stories about folks trying to F me on this house I'm working on. I mean dry, no lube. Even so stupid as to tell me they'll do it time/materials @xxx.xx labor rate, then give me a quote / estimate that works out to something so ludicrous hours-wise, I've told them to gtfo my property.

One guy quoted me T/M for Chimney work. Told me his labor rate per hour per man. and I supply materials. I'd already told him about one AH who quoted me $X and that's not gonna fly. He tells me a number when I press for an upper limit. Worked out to 10-1/2 WEEKS to put up 2 4 foot chimneys.
K-Spaz is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:22 AM
  #47  
Swany00
CF Senior Member
 
Swany00's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Sacramento Ca
Posts: 73,393
Likes: 0
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Well I have a ton of stories about folks trying to F me on this house I'm working on. I mean dry, no lube. Even so stupid as to tell me they'll do it time/materials @xxx.xx labor rate, then give me a quote / estimate that works out to something so ludicrous hours-wise, I've told them to gtfo my property.

One guy quoted me T/M for Chimney work. Told me his labor rate per hour per man. and I supply materials. I'd already told him about one AH who quoted me $X and that's not gonna fly. He tells me a number when I press for an upper limit. Worked out to 10-1/2 WEEKS to put up 2 4 foot chimneys.
You gotta know your stuff. What pissed me off the most was this was the same guy who did our remodel and knows we have $. We paid a fair price on our remodel but when he quoted me that price I told him he was fking high. Now he's totally lost our business because I know I can get it done for half the costs, it's just going to require me to do more.

What a lot of folks miss is if they charge a fair price and do great work, they may be re-engaged for more business down the line, get solid referrals to friends and neighbors yet most of these schmucks look at it as I need to get as much as I can now and don't see the long term impact.
Swany00 is online now  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:32 AM
  #48  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 29,467
Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by Swany00 View Post
You gotta know your stuff. What pissed me off the most was this was the same guy who did our remodel and knows we have $. We paid a fair price on our remodel but when he quoted me that price I told him he was fking high. Now he's totally lost our business because I know I can get it done for half the costs, it's just going to require me to do more.

What a lot of folks miss is if they charge a fair price and do great work, they may be re-engaged for more business down the line, get solid referrals to friends and neighbors yet most of these schmucks look at it as I need to get as much as I can now and don't see the long term impact.
Yep, and not a doubt in my mind Paulie got quotes on the prep work on his and said wtf, I'll use a lawn tractor before I do that! Now, on the concrete, there's not much choice, that's not a job for a beginner. Pay the guy.

I've been seeing the same thing. I've found a select few folks I can get to do work for me at the house and not ***-rape me. Worst part is, you can't even trust anyone at Time/Materials because they just go slow as fk. And you know you don't want them doing work for you if they are that bad at arithmetic they can't see how far out of line they are without even picking up a pencil. I use that chimney job as an example, got the first quote, 25K. Second quote 12.5K (T/M guy for 10 man weeks). Third guy who did the job did one chimney monday morning from 7:30am till 11:30am, done and GONE. Second one took 1-2/3 man days, with one guy standing on the ground doing cleanup and acting as the safety man. Now, where did the first two come up with the $ figures and time estimates? We're talking about a 10x and 20x miss on time. We're not just talking about a higher labor rate here...
K-Spaz is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 12:32 PM
  #49  
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Evans, GA
Posts: 46,843
Received 216 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19
Default

Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
Why, to keep the concrete workers out?


I told the wife I was going to call INS on our workers and she said our house would never get finished.
Z06PSI is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 12:39 PM
  #50  
neece
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: Less typey, more stfu
Posts: 40,914
Received 162 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Default

Cool, what a fun space to be creative! And what a nice view! Do you see lots of wildlife?
neece is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 12:47 PM
  #51  
sstonebreaker
CF Senior Member
 
sstonebreaker's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: Willow Park TX
Posts: 1,752
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Where is that? Looks like far west Texas.
sstonebreaker is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 12:55 PM
  #52  
mvftw
CF Senior Member
 
mvftw's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2003
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,081
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

I used to operate a Concrete Pump... a Schwing 36...long time ago...not a fun job...
mvftw is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 01:58 PM
  #53  
ptindall
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ptindall's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Picking on the weakest kid in the yard.
Posts: 26,566
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HighRoadNeece View Post
Cool, what a fun space to be creative! And what a nice view! Do you see lots of wildlife?
Thanks! Yes, our yard is full of rabbits, prairie dogs, lizards, and morning doves. We also get Javalina, rattlesnakes, road runners, hawks, owls, chipmunks, and humming birds.

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker View Post
Where is that? Looks like far west Texas.
Southern Arizona.
ptindall is online now  
Old 04-17-2019, 02:03 PM
  #54  
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore
Support Corvetteforum!
 
VegasJen's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2001
Location: Press "2" for English
Posts: 29,061
Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

So you're secretly building an illegal alien detention center? Nice!
VegasJen is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 03:07 PM
  #55  
Anton Chigurh
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: What's the most you've ever lost on a coin toss?
Posts: 766
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Wow concrete amazing!
Anton Chigurh is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 03:11 PM
  #56  
themonk
CF Senior Member
 
themonk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Posts: 81,738
Received 597 Likes on 382 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
Default

was it a little chilly outside? I like the area, nice and kinda secluded.
themonk is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 03:16 PM
  #57  
Silverback51
CF Senior Member
 
Silverback51's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2011
Location: Prescott Arizona
Posts: 6,457
Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
Thanks! Yes, our yard is full of rabbits, prairie dogs, lizards, and morning doves. We also get Javalina, rattlesnakes, road runners, hawks, owls, chipmunks, and humming birds.
Pretty much the same here in the mountains but we don't get the rattlesnakes where we are. We do however get mule deer, bobcats, lynx and an occasional cougar.

Last edited by Silverback51; 04-17-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Silverback51 is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 03:22 PM
  #58  
ptindall
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ptindall's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Picking on the weakest kid in the yard.
Posts: 26,566
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
Wow concrete amazing!



Originally Posted by themonk View Post
was it a little chilly outside? I like the area, nice and kinda secluded.
Thanks, I think it was low to mid 50's. They poured from about 5:00am to 7:30am.
ptindall is online now  
Old 04-17-2019, 03:25 PM
  #59  
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!
 
dvarapala's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 34,190
Received 72 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
So you're secretly building an illegal alien detention center? Nice!
Paulie wants to help the illegals, not detain them. There's gonna be a drinking fountain mounted on the wall of his new garage.
dvarapala is online now  
Old 04-17-2019, 03:26 PM
  #60  
ptindall
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ptindall's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Picking on the weakest kid in the yard.
Posts: 26,566
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
Pretty much the same here in the mountains but we don't get the rattlesnakes where we are. We do however get mule deer, bobcats, lynx and an occasional cougar.
I ran into this guy near Flagstaff.

ptindall is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The scene at my house this morning


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: