Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Customer Service and new gun

Old 05-11-2019, 10:26 PM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Customer Service and new gun

I've wanted an AR10 and Cabella's had the DPMS Oracle .308 on sale for $758 after rebate. Online is a bit cheaper but you still have to ship and pay transfer so they were pretty close.

I got the gun, took it home and....doesn't work...would not feed. I cleaned and oiled it, still no feed. Called the store and they told to check the bolt assembly which I did and now it fed.

But you could not pull the charge handle after it fed. Jack around with it and finally it pulled loose but the bullet was stuck in the chamber. Shake the gun and after having to tap it pretty hard on the ground the bullet falls out.

Call the store again and they say bring it in. They spent some time determining what the problem was the guy actually took a ton of time explaining the problem, how found it etc. There was a large bur just beyond the throat and it was gouging the bullet itself causing it lodge itself in the barrel.

They said they were going to send it to DPMS...they do not return/exchange guns.

So they said this several times to be but I kept saying I bought a working gun, not a repaired gun. Finally determined it had to go to DPMS.

I asked to talk to the manager. He came over and I explained it again. Told them to exchange it!

Complete PITA to do all the paperwork but walked out with a new rifle which they dissembled and checked over the whole thing.

They probably put a total of 3 hours into the sale by the time it was all said and done.

Walked out pretty happy overall. Took it home, cleaned, oiled and mounted the scope. First trip tomorrow:

Old 05-11-2019, 11:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,237 Likes on 3,680 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sounds to me like they did a good job looking into and solving the problem. Even though the manager had to be involved, I'd bet the other staff were just following corporate policy. Hope the new gun works perfectly.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:50 PM
99mallett
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: The line waiting to see Santa Claus stretched all the way back to Terre Haute, and I was at the end, Indiana
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Think of the nightmare it would have been if you'd bought it on the interweb and saved a couple of bucks.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:23 AM
ny32182
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Going through the manufacturer is standard procedure for something like that.
They will send it back, it will get rebarreled.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:33 AM
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a similar problem at Academy Sports. Pistol would not fire. Tons of carbon in the":NEW" pistol. Outlet manager said it was not possible as all the guns were new. Wanted to mail it to the builder for repair. I sent a snail mail to the Academy CEO and he ordered them to replace the gun and provide me with a healthy discount also.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:40 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners :yesnod:
Received 171 Likes on 97 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 99mallett View Post
Think of the nightmare it would have been if you'd bought it on the interweb and saved a couple of bucks.

Sweet purchase!
Old 05-12-2019, 12:10 PM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ny32182 View Post
Going through the manufacturer is standard procedure for something like that.
They will send it back, it will get rebarreled.
CFOT Reading at its finest.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:11 PM
ny32182
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Happy to help.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:06 PM
1bdvet
CF Senior Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,298 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'm surprised they new how inspect the rifle, to find the defect area of the rifle.

I surprised they didn't replace a brand new rifle they sold you with defect, not good for business has far has I am concern, it's not your fault the rifle was damaged.

Glad it all turned out right, and had a good day at the range.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:52 PM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1bdvet View Post
I'm surprised they new how inspect the rifle, to find the defect area of the rifle.

I surprised they didn't replace a brand new rifle they sold you with defect, not good for business has far has I am concern, it's not your fault the rifle was damaged.

The guy there was pretty proficient. He racked about 5 rounds through it, removed the rounds and inspected each one to show me where the problem was. One round it even crushed the top collar.

Their staff there seems to be better than most of the big box stores. They are not all great but seems on a single shift they have at least 1 or 2 experienced people.

I had no issues getting a brand new gun. The counter people just repeated the company line. Once I talked to the manager he just replaced it for me.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-12-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Der Flieger
CF Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet View Post

I have found the gun counter people here at Cabella's, (Now Bass Pro Shop?), to be knowlegible about most gun problems. Many of them are retired cops with weapons experience. Last time I was there, this one guy was interested in buying one of my PS-90s. Even offered more than I paid new. Go figure.

Last edited by Der Flieger; 05-12-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:04 PM
RAMMAN
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19

When I shopped Cabelaís in the past I knew that the prices werenít always the lowest but the quality was top notch and they had great customer service. If you had an issue with something you bought from them, they corrected it or refunded the money.

Now that Bass Pro has taken over and had a little time to institute their policies at Cabelaís it has become very lack luster. The return policy and price match policies have gone downhill, and several of the best gun guys that worked in my store have quit based on the new management. The last straw for me was Cabelaís discontinuing the veteranís discount, even though I personally didnít serve I believe those who did deserved the discount..

I spent over 4k per year there on firearms and other sporting goods, now I wonít give them one dime.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:16 PM
1bdvet
CF Senior Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,298 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

We have Bass Pro shop, there prices are high, there people like some said are knowledgeable and found one just blowing smoke when I buying scope and risers for my rifle, didn't buy cause they were puffing me.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:17 PM
Der Flieger
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by RAMMAN View Post
When I shopped Cabelaís in the past I knew that the prices werenít always the lowest but the quality was top notch and they had great customer service. If you had an issue with something you bought from them, they corrected it or refunded the money.

Now that Bass Pro has taken over and had a little time to institute their policies at Cabelaís it has become very lack luster. The return policy and price match policies have gone downhill, and several of the best gun guys that worked in my store have quit based on the new management. The last straw for me was Cabelaís discontinuing the veteranís discount, even though I personally didnít serve I believe those who did deserved the discount..

I spent over 4k per year there on firearms and other sporting goods, now I wonít give them one dime.
I must admit I haven't been there for awhile. A competitor not far away from the Bass Pro store has better prices, and has upped his game with an easy-to-use website. I ordered a .41 mag. Henry carbine from this guy's store, and it was $25 cheaper, and the service was better, less hassle with the paperwork, etc. Competiton is good.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:47 PM
Anton Chigurh
CF Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMMAN View Post

Only time I've ever been to a Bass Shop Pro it appeared to be a place where low income people take their kids as a free alternative to Disneyland.

Who the F would want to buy a brand new boat that's been probably trampled on by hundreds feral children and used as a playground
Old 05-12-2019, 07:00 PM
oemtech
CF Senior Member

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

I buy very little gun related stuff at big box stores.
I build my own AR's.. You watch the sales and pick up parts for future builds.
Ex - 1000 rounds of 5.56, and 10 Pmags for under $400, after rebate, shipped to my door.

Last edited by oemtech; 05-12-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:22 PM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
I buy very little gun related stuff at big box stores.
I build my own AR's.. You watch the sales and pick up parts for future builds.
Ex - 1000 rounds of 5.56, and 10 Pmags for under $400, after rebate, shipped to my door.

We will build our next one. We wanted a new gun and wanted one now so when we saw the sale we went for it.

Going to order a Palmetto Arms kit in the next week. So I just need the lower shipped to a FFL right?
Old 05-12-2019, 07:33 PM
Docbrock
CF Senior Member

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Makes me want to go get one of my own. My AR 15 is nice, but the idea of lobbing those big ol .308s sounds fun.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Der Flieger
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
We will build our next one. We wanted a new gun and wanted one now so when we saw the sale we went for it.

Going to order a Palmetto Arms kit in the next week. So I just need the lower shipped to a FFL right?
Yep. Most charge a fee for that.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:39 PM
Der Flieger
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
Only time I've ever been to a Bass Shop Pro it appeared to be a place where low income people take their kids as a free alternative to Disneyland.

Who the F would want to buy a brand new boat that's been probably trampled on by hundreds feral children and used as a playground
You must live in a festering **** hole.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Customer Service and new gun

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: