Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Alaskan cruise

 
Old 05-14-2019, 12:39 PM
  #21  
DJ_Critterus
CF Senior Member
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: FL.... America's Wang! No shrinkage. Winter's not coming!
Posts: 51,368
Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default

Originally Posted by savewave View Post
Alaska is the one state I have not visited. Looking forward to seeing it this summer.
My cardiologist goes salmon fishing every year and I'm supposed to go with him next year. Can't wait to give that a try and actually try the fresh caught stuff and cook it fresh out of the river.
DJ_Critterus is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:52 PM
  #22  
71 Green 454
CF Senior Member
 
71 Green 454's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 3,992
Received 174 Likes on 150 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
My cardiologist goes salmon fishing every year and I'm supposed to go with him next year. Can't wait to give that a try and actually try the fresh caught stuff and cook it fresh out of the river.
Go for it... It's a great experience! We went salmon fishing in Ketchikan.


71 Green 454 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 01:13 PM
  #23  
DJ_Critterus
CF Senior Member
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: FL.... America's Wang! No shrinkage. Winter's not coming!
Posts: 51,368
Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454 View Post
Go for it... It's a great experience! We went salmon fishing in Ketchikan.

How did you catch those? Nets in water or rod and reel? Anyway, I bet they were great when you cooked them. Gotta go with the alder plank to smoke them
DJ_Critterus is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 01:28 PM
  #24  
71 Green 454
CF Senior Member
 
71 Green 454's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 3,992
Received 174 Likes on 150 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
How did you catch those? Nets in water or rod and reel? Anyway, I bet they were great when you cooked them. Gotta go with the alder plank to smoke them
Rod and reel. My partner took his back to his apartment and I gave mine to the captain, he took it to a church dining event that night. My wife and I were on a Celebrity cruise, so no fresh salmon for us. Those King Salmon are very expensive back home.





Last edited by 71 Green 454; 05-14-2019 at 02:20 PM.
71 Green 454 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 01:29 PM
  #25  
DJ_Critterus
CF Senior Member
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: FL.... America's Wang! No shrinkage. Winter's not coming!
Posts: 51,368
Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454 View Post
Rod and reel. My partner took his back to his apartment and I gave mine to the captain, he took it to a church dining event that night. My wife and I were on a Celebrity cruise, so no fresh salmon for us. Those King Salmon are very expensive back home.
Wow. I'd love to cook one up fresh like that!!!!!!
DJ_Critterus is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 02:02 PM
  #26  
maxgood
CF Senior Member
 
maxgood's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Location: Too Far South Florida
Posts: 3,732
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
My cardiologist goes salmon fishing every year and I'm supposed to go with him next year. Can't wait to give that a try and actually try the fresh caught stuff and cook it fresh out of the river.
You will think you have never had salmon before.
maxgood is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 02:03 PM
  #27  
DJ_Critterus
CF Senior Member
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: FL.... America's Wang! No shrinkage. Winter's not coming!
Posts: 51,368
Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default

Originally Posted by maxgood View Post
You will think you have never had salmon before.
I'm hoping so. The flash frozen stuff Doc gives me everytime I visit or go work on his classic cars is amazing. Hell, I have probably 10 fillets left from what he gave me from his last trip. Sooooo good.
DJ_Critterus is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 02:10 PM
  #28  
RollaMo-LT4
CF Senior Member
 
RollaMo-LT4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Rolla Missouri
Posts: 10,734
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19
Default

Originally Posted by Dan Dlabay View Post
Just got back from a 7 day Alaskan cruise. Me my wife sister in law and brother in law left Seattle on the Norwegian Bliss . The first day was at sea.. Listen to good bands and dranked a few. First stop was Juneau Alaska. There we went out on a small boat and got to see hump back whales and Orcas in their natural habitat. Went to a saloon in Juneau and they had a drink called Duck Fart. It made up of Kahlua, Baileys Irish Cream and Crown Royal. We had several then had to buy a tee shirt that said we had duck farts. Next stop Skaway. There we took a 1.5 hour train ride through the wilderness. A saloon there had Reindeer Farts made up of Baileys, Kahlua and peppermint schnapps. Had several of those. Next day was spent at Glacier Bay. Then we went to Ketchikan were me and my brother in law took a float plane ride while the wife's went shopping. Last stop was Victoria British Colombia for shopping at sight seeing. Even though the temperature was cool the scenery and wildlife was great. I would recommend taking a Alaskan cruise. :cert:
We did our Alaskan cruise, summer of 2017.
Words and pictures just can't "capture" it all. What a great trip.
Vancover to Anchorage. Stops in Ketchican, Juneau, Skaway, Glacier Bay, and Seward.

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454 View Post
Go for it... It's a great experience! We went salmon fishing in Ketchikan.
Yep, Ketchikan is the Salmon fishing capital of the world.
Ships dock right there on the main drag. Took this picture from our balcony before we even got off the ship.

RollaMo-LT4 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 02:15 PM
  #29  
htown81vette
CF Senior Member
 
htown81vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2011
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 1,572
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Sounds cool! However, I'd be hesitant about having a drink called duck fart.
htown81vette is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 02:25 PM
  #30  
DJ_Critterus
CF Senior Member
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: FL.... America's Wang! No shrinkage. Winter's not coming!
Posts: 51,368
Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default

Originally Posted by htown81vette View Post
Sounds cool! However, I'd be hesitant about having a drink called duck fart.
That is a strong drink.
DJ_Critterus is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 02:53 PM
  #31  
CamarosRus
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Auburn,WA (30 miles SE of Seattle) WA
Posts: 842
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

I'm a Seattle native and also work at the different docks where the cruise ships load at Port Of Seattle

ANYBODY thinking about an Alaska Cruise I would seriously consider the itinerary before you choose.
I'm saying that Skagway and Ketchikan are the two most interesting stops.
I'm also saying that Glacier Bay is the much more scenic Glacier area vs Hubbard and Tracy Arm.

Suggest you read comments at
www.cruisecritic.com before making your choice

Write me if you have questions and local needs????

Chuck Sharin

Last edited by CamarosRus; 05-14-2019 at 02:53 PM.
CamarosRus is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 03:58 PM
  #32  
C.O. Jones
CF Senior Member
 
C.O. Jones's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,449
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14,'18-'19
Default

We have done about a dozen Caribbean cruises and I want to do a Alaska cruise next year. Was May a good time to go? Prices seem dirt cheap in May.

Roundtrip airfare from central Florida is the biggest obstacle.

Last edited by C.O. Jones; 05-14-2019 at 03:59 PM.
C.O. Jones is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 04:26 PM
  #33  
jim2527
CF Senior Member
 
jim2527's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 15,644
Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

An Alaskan cruise is on our list...but it’s such a long flight from Tampa.

We’re leaving on a London>Olso>Somewhere in Germany>Bruge>London cruise this Saturday!!
jim2527 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 04:43 PM
  #34  
CamarosRus
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Auburn,WA (30 miles SE of Seattle) WA
Posts: 842
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

A lot less children aboard the ships before the summer vacations begin..............

However Seattle and Alaska weather may not be as nice as July-Aug-Sept
CamarosRus is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:20 PM
  #35  
fishingdan
CF Senior Member
 
fishingdan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Maidens Virginia
Posts: 7,302
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18'-19

Default

Several years ago I let my wife talk me into an Alaskan cruise at the beginning of summer for normal people (end of May IIRC). Although I despise snow and cold I did make the best of it for her sake. Very scenic trip but I never want to see that much snow in summer....I'll stick to my winters in the Keys thank you!
fishingdan is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 05:50 PM
  #36  
Dan Dlabay
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Dan Dlabay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Kettering Ohio
Posts: 9,809
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

I saw the story of the 2 float planes that collided in Ketchikan. Not sure if we were on either one of those planes. We did feel safe on the plane we were on. Thanks for the concern. As for pictures by brother in law has all the pictures and he is making a dvd with pictures and video we shot.
Dan Dlabay is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:41 PM
  #37  
bradNTx
CF Senior Member
 
bradNTx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 3,970
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have travelled for work for going on 15 years, i love cruising but would never cruise to see stuff, the schedules are too tight IMO, that said i want to get up to Alaska for a week or 2 one day. Recognizing its friggin massive would this be a place where a cruise is the best option over doing it on my own schedule in a car?
bradNTx is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:26 PM
  #38  
99mallett
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
99mallett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2003
Location: The line waiting to see Santa Claus stretched all the way back to Terre Haute, and I was at the end, Indiana
Posts: 6,273
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Default

Originally Posted by Dan Dlabay View Post
Just got back from a 7 day Alaskan cruise. Me my wife sister in law and brother in law left Seattle on the Norwegian Bliss . The first day was at sea.. Listen to good bands and dranked a few. First stop was Juneau Alaska. There we went out on a small boat and got to see hump back whales and Orcas in their natural habitat. Went to a saloon in Juneau and they had a drink called Duck Fart. It made up of Kahlua, Baileys Irish Cream and Crown Royal. We had several then had to buy a tee shirt that said we had duck farts. Next stop Skaway. There we took a 1.5 hour train ride through the wilderness. A saloon there had Reindeer Farts made up of Baileys, Kahlua and peppermint schnapps. Had several of those. Next day was spent at Glacier Bay. Then we went to Ketchikan were me and my brother in law took a float plane ride while the wife's went shopping. Last stop was Victoria British Colombia for shopping at sight seeing. Even though the temperature was cool the scenery and wildlife was great. I would recommend taking a Alaskan cruise. :cert:
I've been trying to get my wife to agree to an Alaska cruise for seven or eight years and this last winter, she finally agreed. We're take our cruise in August and I'm really excited. Looking forward to feeding my photography obsession and taking some serious photos.
99mallett is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:41 PM
  #39  
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2002
Location: Hacienda Heights CA
Posts: 20,847
Received 305 Likes on 272 Posts
Default

Been there, done that! US Navy/ Government Contractor except i couldn’t get off of the ships!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-15-2019 at 10:41 PM.
TCracingCA is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:38 AM
  #40  
maxgood
CF Senior Member
 
maxgood's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Location: Too Far South Florida
Posts: 3,732
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by 99mallett View Post
I've been trying to get my wife to agree to an Alaska cruise for seven or eight years and this last winter, she finally agreed. We're take our cruise in August and I'm really excited. Looking forward to feeding my photography obsession and taking some serious photos.
August, best month to go but when we went everyone was saying we missed the best weather last week. I like the cold so it didnt bother me and people were still in the hot tub outside on the deck. They were from Scandinavia though.
maxgood is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alaskan cruise


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: