Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Looking for car advice... tight budget and of course risk...

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Looking for car advice... tight budget and of course risk...

Old 05-15-2019, 03:03 PM
ptindall
CF Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5 View Post
I know where Joe can score a nice Lumina with a slight transmission 'issue'. Nothing a flush of the trans fluid won't fix. $3500 will take her home I hear!!!!!
If you flush out all the loose pieces, it might be quieter.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:22 PM
BrandensBeast
CF Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 135 Posts

Buy my Hyundai, easy! 2,900 OBO, jump on a plane and drive it all the way back
Old 05-15-2019, 05:02 PM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Received 1,223 Likes on 1,120 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Here you go Joe this will last you forever. Most have another 100k on them. Makes a lil v8 noise too.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...886114264.html
Old 05-15-2019, 05:13 PM
TurboTnZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My neighbor in colorado was an old german guy, he was a durability engineer for mercedes. He owned 2 early 2000's C classes, said they were bullet proof yah. Then he traded them in on two jeep libertys.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:24 PM
TorchRedRocket
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Here you go Joe this will last you forever. Most have another 100k on them. Makes a lil v8 noise too.

That is a salvage title.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:04 PM
themonk
CF Senior Member

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 593 Likes on 381 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

if you can't find a reliable inexpensive car for 3k then you're simply not trying hard enough.

Last edited by themonk; 05-15-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:06 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedRocket View Post
That is a salvage title.

And his two cars that **** the bed DIDN'T, so I am not sure of your point.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:13 PM
TorchRedRocket
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
And his two cars that **** the bed DIDN'T, so I am not sure of your point.
It was totaled by an insurance company for a reason. It's not like there is a shortage of clean title cars out there. There are literally millions of other viable clean title cars out there for sale. Why subject yourself to the headaches of registering it and getting it inspected to deem it roadworthy and jumping through hoops to insure it?
Old 05-15-2019, 06:14 PM
Swany00
CF Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

That is a salvage title.

it was just a door issue that was repaired, not seeing the big deal

fk salvage
Old 05-15-2019, 06:16 PM
Mikeceli
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post

He OP needs a used Mertz like a hole in the head!
Old 05-15-2019, 06:18 PM
Meh
CF Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

It was totaled by an insurance company for a reason. It's not like there is a shortage of clean title cars out there. There are literally millions of other viable clean title cars out there for sale. Why subject yourself to the headaches of registering it and getting it inspected to deem it roadworthy and jumping through hoops to insure it?
If it's currently registered in CA, none of those things you mention will be an issue.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:19 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

My Corvette was hit in the door. With the door removed there was some minor peripheral damage. The insurance company said it was up to me whether I wanted it repaired. I considered diminished value and said "no, total it". I can promise you if that car had a salvage title, someone is getting a nearly new car, a hell of a car at that, and will have no more trouble with it than any other Corvette on the road. I have not investigated whether it was put back together, but I'd buy it in a nanosecond if I came across it. There are severely damaged cars that are put back together that SHOULD have been totaled and weren't. If he is not planning to sell it and genuinely needs transportation, he could get a damn nice car at a great price. Can you drive down any road and and identify which ones have a salvage title?
Old 05-15-2019, 06:29 PM
TorchRedRocket
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
My Corvette was hit in the door. With the door removed there was some minor peripheral damage. The insurance company said it was up to me whether I wanted it repaired. I considered diminished value and said "no, total it". I can promise you if that car had a salvage title, someone is getting a nearly new car, a hell of a car at that, and will have no more trouble with it than any other Corvette on the road. I have not investigated whether it was put back together, but I'd buy it in a nanosecond if I came across it. There are severely damaged cars that are put back together that SHOULD have been totaled and weren't. If he is not planning to sell it and genuinely needs transportation, he could get a damn nice car at a great price. Can you drive down any road and and identify which ones have a salvage title?
I'm not saying there aren't good deals to be had out there, because there certainly are. And yes, there are cars totaled for stupid meaningless reasons that dont affect drivability. Like your Vette for example. An optimal situation would be where you know or saw the damage that caused the total loss like in your instance. All I'm saying is I would not advocate buying a salvage title for someone who needs reliable transportation to work when there are probably 100:1 clean title vs salvage title out there. Not a headache I would want to deal with for the potential cost savings. It's all about opportunity costs and trade offs.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:30 PM
GotCorvette?
CF Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I know at auctions and the car sales world in general, salvage titles are considered to be worth one half of KBB wholesale value. Just don't pay more than that and have the car inspected thoroughly.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:54 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

I'm not saying there aren't good deals to be had out there, because there certainly are. And yes, there are cars totaled for stupid meaningless reasons that dont affect drivability. Like your Vette for example. An optimal situation would be where you know or saw the damage that caused the total loss like in your instance. All I'm saying is I would not advocate buying a salvage title for someone who needs reliable transportation to work when there are probably 100:1 clean title vs salvage title out there. Not a headache I would want to deal with for the potential cost savings. It's all about opportunity costs and trade offs.
Understood. I'm considering OPs position and the ability to get something on the cheap without sporting around in a hoopty.
I took pics of my car disassembled and if I were contacted about it, I'd gladly share. It was a tough choice to make, but I was also afraid of resale. In hindsight, I should have had it repaired.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:04 PM
DSOMC6
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The pos salvaged merc is $5k. He's got $3k. Doubt any legit lender will finance ANY amt on a salvaged car. Not to mention, in spite of a solid drivetrain all the electronic crap that will most likely fail needing costly parts.

Go purchase a cpo ecobox and be done with it.

Last edited by DSOMC6; 05-15-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:31 AM
artz66
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMC6 View Post
The pos salvaged merc is $5k. He's got $3k. Doubt any legit lender will finance ANY amt on a salvaged car. Not to mention, in spite of a solid drivetrain all the electronic crap that will most likely fail needing costly parts.

Go purchase a cpo ecobox and be done with it.
Credit unions will loan 80% value on salvage titles here and the interest rate is no different than clean title cars.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:59 AM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
Friends and family. And the failures he had would be just as likely if the car was overpaid for at a used car dealer.
How did your friends and family miss the private party indoctrination?

In general, if inspected properly and reconditioned a $8000 dealer car statistically should present less mechanical issues than a $3000 CL car, namely because it should be newer with less miles.

Unless you're suggesting the same $8000 car can be purchased for $3000 private party? If so I'd be curious to see what can be found private party in your area for $3000 that a dealer is trying to sell for $8000. An $8000 unit usually has a landed cost of $6000.

Last edited by FourPennyDoug; 05-16-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:07 PM
919cw313
CF Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 302 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by The JOe View Post

not many places to live close. Itís a pretty remote gov site.
Vanpool until you get your **** together? There have to be others making that same commute every day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for car advice... tight budget and of course risk...

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: