Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

So are you brave enough to admit that you have been scammed in your life?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

So are you brave enough to admit that you have been scammed in your life?

 
Old 05-15-2019, 11:24 AM
  #1  
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 11,395
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default So are you brave enough to admit that you have been scammed in your life?

So back when i was 19 going to college and working as a welder two black dudes came up to the shop at lunch and said they had new VHS VCRs that they got a good deal on from a store closing. They were sealed with the cellophane wrap. Back then VCR were going for 700 to 1000 bucks. These guys said they would selling for 150. I said cool me and my new bride were looking for one. Two other guys bought one and the secretary for the business. I open it up and there are bricks in there. I was livid I got scammed I was young and dumb but what was the secretary's excuse?

Got scammed again by two other black guys when i was bought some fake weed one time.

Hope this doesn't sound racist but yesterday i was filling up my truck and this black dude said "hey, buddy got something to show you" and the lifts his hand with a few gold chains and pendants on it "make you a fantastic deal" . I said no thanks don't want any gold chains and he said "I know you don't want it but you gotta at least look at them" I said "no offense dude but I always get ripped off when I buy things from strange black dudes out of car" and then walked into the store.

So what about ya'll are you brave enough to post up you getting scammed on CFOT knowing everyone here is going to slam ya.
gixxerbill is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 AM
  #2  
Swany00
CF Senior Member
 
Swany00's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Sacramento Ca
Posts: 72,613
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

I'm brave enough to admit I've never been dumb enough to fall for such bullshit
Swany00 is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:29 AM
  #3  
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 11,395
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Swany00 View Post
I'm brave enough to admit I've never been dumb enough to fall for such bullshit
that's not bravery that is snootiness. So you have never been scammed in your life? If not why the hell you posting here in the first place? Can't you follow instructions?
gixxerbill is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:38 AM
  #4  
Swany00
CF Senior Member
 
Swany00's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Sacramento Ca
Posts: 72,613
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
that's not bravery that is snootiness. So you have never been scammed in your life? If not why the hell you posting here in the first place? Can't you follow instructions?
Says the guy who bought a couple bricks from some brotha's.
Swany00 is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:45 AM
  #5  
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 11,395
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Swany00 View Post
Says the guy who bought a couple bricks from some brotha's.
I know I admitted because that is the point of the thread. I guess i wanted one so bad and I had never been scammed before and they did such a nice job with the packaging looked so real. Eh live and learn.
gixxerbill is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:52 AM
  #6  
Der Flieger
CF Senior Member
 
Der Flieger's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,705
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

I was scammed by a well-titted red-headed woman into marrying her. It took 19 years to fix that deal, and the long-term fix wasn't cheap. Live and learn. I was also scammed into smoking cigarettes when I was 17. That fix took 30 years to administer. Other than that, I'm good. (No black dudes involved. Just a dumb ****.)

Last edited by Der Flieger; 05-15-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Der Flieger is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:53 AM
  #7  
Anton Chigurh
CF Senior Member
 
Anton Chigurh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: What's the most you've ever lost on a coin toss?
Posts: 630
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Just when we thought you have given up on making **** threads you go ahead and do this.....
Anton Chigurh is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:03 PM
  #8  
DJ_Critterus
CF Senior Member
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: FL.... America's Wang! No shrinkage. Winter's not coming!
Posts: 51,371
Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default

Hell yeah I've been scammed. Us veterans call it VA healthcare.
DJ_Critterus is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:12 PM
  #9  
War Eagle ZO6
Loser Sr.
 
War Eagle ZO6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 1999
Location: Forum LEADER Moderator Reject
Posts: 46,770
Received 105 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14, '16-'17
Default

Businesswise, I bet well over $1 million....... iím guessing you would call bad debt being scammed, because those ******** knew they couldnít pay. Then they open up six months later under a different name.
War Eagle ZO6 is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:16 PM
  #10  
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 11,395
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
Just when we thought you have given up on making **** threads you go ahead and do this.....
I know I amaze you heck I even amaze myself sometime.
gixxerbill is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:18 PM
  #11  
ThePirate
CF Senior Member
 
ThePirate's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 1999
Location: Bullshit detector extraordinare
Posts: 10,752
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default

So are you brave enough to admit that you have been scammed in your life?

Never have.
ThePirate is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:21 PM
  #12  
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 11,395
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by War Eagle ZO6 View Post
Businesswise, I bet well over $1 million....... i’m guessing you would call bad debt being scammed, because those ******** knew they couldn’t pay. Then they open up six months later under a different name.
I don't get it were you a banker or a private equity company loaning the money. Ouch that is a sting.

I forgot another one was with a promoter that said if I invested in bringing Ricky Van Shelton 10k he would split the Judds farewell tour with me. Well advance tickets didn't do good on Ricky Van Shelton(btw I hate Ricky Van Shelton now) so the Judds deal didn't work out. I hounded that promoter for months until I got my 10k back. A big miller lite distributer also invested in one the same promoters shows and dude scammed him too. The distributer was amazed I got my money back.

Last edited by gixxerbill; 05-15-2019 at 12:21 PM.
gixxerbill is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:22 PM
  #13  
jfb
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Cincinnati, Oh USA
Posts: 48,941
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

My brother was waiting in his car for my sister to finish shopping and a black guy came up to his car and opened his coat showing about 200 watches and asked him if he wanted a watch. My brother said no but later called the local police and told them about his encounter. The police told him, "Yeah we know about him and he is legit".
jfb is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM
  #14  
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 11,395
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jfb View Post
My brother was waiting in his car for my sister to finish shopping and a black guy came up to his car and opened his coat showing about 200 watches and asked him if he wanted a watch. My brother said no but later called the local police and told them about his encounter. The police told him, "Yeah we know about him and he is legit".
well at least it was watches and not a long dong.
gixxerbill is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM
  #15  
ptindall
CF Senior Member
 
ptindall's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Picking on the weakest kid in the yard.
Posts: 26,380
Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Closest I've been to scammed was when I bought my first boat. Dude started it on the trailer to show it ran good for just a couple seconds without being on a hose. I checked the oil which looked good. First time on the lake, the oil turned to milkshake as it had a blown head gasket. $50 worth of head gaskets later it ran great. Oh well.
ptindall is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:27 PM
  #16  
Hurricane
CF Senior Member
 
Hurricane's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 28,374
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Default

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
Hell yeah I've been scammed. Us veterans call it VA healthcare.
Hurricane is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 PM
  #17  
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member
 
Humanoid 2.0's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: .... NJ
Posts: 75,943
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Default

Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
So back when i was 19 going to college and working as a welder two black dudes came up to the shop at lunch and said they had new VHS VCRs that they got a good deal on from a store closing. They were sealed with the cellophane wrap. Back then VCR were going for 700 to 1000 bucks. These guys said they would selling for 150. I said cool me and my new bride were looking for one. Two other guys bought one and the secretary for the business. I open it up and there are bricks in there. I was livid I got scammed I was young and dumb but what was the secretary's excuse?

Got scammed again by two other black guys when i was bought some fake weed one time.

Hope this doesn't sound racist but yesterday i was filling up my truck and this black dude said "hey, buddy got something to show you" and the lifts his hand with a few gold chains and pendants on it "make you a fantastic deal" . I said no thanks don't want any gold chains and he said "I know you don't want it but you gotta at least look at them" I said "no offense dude but I always get ripped off when I buy things from strange black dudes out of car" and then walked into the store.

So what about ya'll are you brave enough to post up you getting scammed on CFOT knowing everyone here is going to slam ya.
Had a friend back in the late 1980s, fell for the same scam, he was kind of dumb too, like you.
Humanoid 2.0 is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:31 PM
  #18  
KarlK
CF Senior Member
 
KarlK's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: No, I'm not related to PeterK
Posts: 45,020
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

I was scammed (played) but I was all in at the time. Went on a date with Miss Iowa, but it was all about her making her boyfriend jealous. Fun night, got a blow job out of it.

Last edited by KarlK; 05-15-2019 at 12:33 PM.
KarlK is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:36 PM
  #19  
MidLifeinMI
CF Senior Member
 
MidLifeinMI's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2002
Location: MidLifeinTN just doesn't have the same ring to it
Posts: 4,495
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I can think of maybe a *couple* of cases where a purchase turned out to be either ill-advised, or not a GREAT deal, but I can't think of a single case where it was actually a scam. I think that's probably because I've always been smart/wise enough to recognize when things have been "too good to be true" (def. not just an old age/experience thing; I knew this even when I was younger). It's pretty obvious that nobody will be selling a "NIB" iPhone X for $50, or will be wanting to buy something for 2X what it's worth.

I may have missed some good deals over the years by being kinda cautious, but you just can't let a blinding desire for something overshadow common sense.
MidLifeinMI is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:37 PM
  #20  
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 11,395
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0 View Post
Had a friend back in the late 1980s, fell for the same scam, he was kind of dumb too, like you.
you are officially of the Christmas card list [email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]#[email protected]!

Last edited by gixxerbill; 05-15-2019 at 12:37 PM.
gixxerbill is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So are you brave enough to admit that you have been scammed in your life?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: