Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

who's cooked a whole hog?.....

Old 05-15-2019, 09:48 PM
Sawbone
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never done it. Mainly because I live near restaurants.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:51 PM
artz66
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I went back and read through and saw your only doing 30lbs. Basically doing a suckling piglet at that stage. Use a tin foil roasting pan and do it in that in order to keep the juices.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:14 AM
kingpin111
CF Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Whole lamb yes but no pigs or hogs.
5-9 hours over half a dozen bags of briquettes.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:23 AM
Atomic Punk
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Ah, ok, if it's a little guy then I'd probably stick with a big oven bag and do it inside. Jmho... Shoot for the 160 internal and hold it there for a very long time but without letting it dry out. Easy as pie. Could also treat it as baby-back ribs and just extend the time several hours, but again, gotta really keep an eye on it so it won't dry out. Can't stress enough, foil or bag cannot leak.
yeah, that's the way to go for sure, it's just a family thing so gonna grill it. i grill A LOT so gotta idea, just wanted to pick y'alls mind. it is uncommon..

Originally Posted by mchar View Post
160 is the temp to shoot for safety. The rest is up to the cook. Oftentimes I will take my 160 pork shoulder, cube it
(since it is too firm to 'pull' at that point) then put it in an aluminum 1/2 pan, add more Rub, Sweet Baby Ray's or other sauce, back on the smoker for 1/2 hour..
you now have Pork Burnt Ends. Delicious. They are Firm, maybe 175-80 in temp.
sweet baby ray's is the ****.noted....

[QUOTE=artz66;1599409420]What’s the exact set up your using. We used to do it in a side box smoker every year to kick off summer. There are lots of methods depending on the set up. Ours was cracked open down the rib cage and spread out like spatchoked chicken. Inside down on indirect heat until most thick sections probe out at 200-205[/

it's family thing so it's a charcoal grill we had made. heavy stuff... thanks for the input. i actually learned what i needed....cc
Old 05-16-2019, 02:06 AM
Bruze
CF Senior Member

Received 832 Likes on 672 Posts

Low and slow for a very long time. Very well protected in foil. The larger the pieces the better. Cut up smaller ends up not cooking nearly as nice. Needs 24 hours to get one really perfect. Some folks say longer. If you must cut it up, wrap it at least twice as well so it cannot leak or you'll be sorry. Possibly even invest in huge oven bags for the job.

There's loads of ways shown online for doing a whole hog, nearly all of which are acceptable. It's not difficult to do it's just a lot of work. They're damn near impossible to overcook. But you can surely under cook one.
I mostly agree. I did a bunch of them over the years "in an earlier life" on a spit. Raised and butchered them myself, had one for my second wedding. I made the spit rod from 1" stainless rod, made fully-adjustable end pieces with four stainless rods that went into each end of the animal. Powered it with an old motor geared way down to run a commercial icemaker. This hog was a good 100 lbs. dressed. Most of them I did after that were smaller.

You're right, you need 24 hours to do it right; this is over hardwood, I usually threw some charcoal in too. Build a firepit and make the spit so the bottom of the hog will be about 2 feet above the fire. If it's real windy, you'll need to put up windbreaks to keep the heat going up. I never wrapped them; after a few hours the fat starts melting and it bastes itself as it rotates, never came out dry.

But it's a young man's job. Need several RESPONSIBLE guys to tend the fire all night. Heh, when I got married I stayed up drinking with a bunch of guys around the fire, went to bed at 8 AM, got up at noon and got married in my backyard.

In recent decades I've been to hog roasts where they were done in a big covered gas-powered cooker, done in about 8 hours. They're okay, but NOTHING like ones I described above. Cooked over wood/charcoal for 24 hours has a unique flavor that you'll never get from 8 hours in a gas cooker. It doesn't taste like anything else you've ever had.

June 1976, my second wedding. No pix of hogs, but the setup is just to the left of the guy walking directly towards the camera. That was my '70 Camaro, sold it for $600 shortly after.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:08 AM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Received 234 Likes on 190 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I used to own an old Massey Ferguson like the one the kids are planning on in the upper right. Beast of a lawn tractor.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:12 AM
03 A/E Coupe
CF Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default who's cooked a whole Hogg?.....

Does having some Smoked Pork Sausage with Boss Hogg count ?
Old 05-16-2019, 09:05 AM
Bruze
CF Senior Member

Received 832 Likes on 672 Posts

I used to own an old Massey Ferguson like the one the kids are planning on in the upper right. Beast of a lawn tractor.
Eh yup, that was mine.

It's long gone, but I do have a '51 Ferguson TO20 tractor.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:24 AM
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BadUmp View Post
I'm hoping to hear by the end of this coming summer that AG Wm Barr cooks one up really well done. A hog that goes by the brand name of Hilliary . . .
Judging from the jowls on Barr, roasting over a it would work out nicely. Gotta have the fat for the seasoning.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:24 PM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 05-16-2019, 01:57 PM
gtpvette
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is how all the Cubans I know do it,,,, comes out good!
Old 05-18-2019, 10:12 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
CF Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

How is he getting any smoke flavor while inside of this box?
Old 05-19-2019, 02:03 AM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 View Post
How is he getting any smoke flavor while inside of this box?
I have built my own Caja China, I have a "Smoke Generator" that plugs into the box and I use pellets and an air pump. Turns out excellent.

Otherwise, traditional Cuban method, no smoke. I fabbed a top rack above the coals where I can cook burgers and chicken on the top while the pork is cooking in the box.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:28 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
CF Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
I have built my own Caja China, I have a "Smoke Generator" that plugs into the box and I use pellets and an air pump. Turns out excellent.

Otherwise, traditional Cuban method, no smoke. I fabbed a top rack above the coals where I can cook burgers and chicken on the top while the pork is cooking in the box.
Great idea.

In fact, were one so inclined, they could take that idea a step further and build an Argentina style grill over the top of that box and smoke a hog and cook a variety of other foods all at the same time.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:54 AM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 View Post
Great idea.

In fact, were one so inclined, they could take that idea a step further and build an Argentina style grill over the top of that box and smoke a hog and cook a variety of other foods all at the same time.
That's what I did.
My cook box is really the bottom of a Santa Maria Argentine grill. I fabbed it so the Argentine portion comes off and only the box remains.
Put the hog or meat in the in the box, cover it with the charcoal pan, etc.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:54 AM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Received 234 Likes on 190 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by KarlK View Post

Ok, looks interesting but I have a few questions. Is the lower alum box sealed, meaning 5 sides all welded corners? Is the big flat charcoal pan alum bottomed? How do the wooden sides not warp from the heat?

And lastly, you mentioned you built your own... I don't want to sound like a spendthrift here, but when I say I have EVERYthing to make that sitting here at work, I mean every single aspect of it. And I'd buy one at the prices I see.

PS. If you find yourself hunting for material to make any sort of specialized rack for yours, shoot me a pm.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:07 AM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Ok, looks interesting but I have a few questions. Is the lower alum box sealed, meaning 5 sides all welded corners? Is the big flat charcoal pan alum bottomed? How do the wooden sides not warp from the heat?

And lastly, you mentioned you built your own... I don't want to sound like a spendthrift here, but when I say I have EVERYthing to make that sitting here at work, I mean every single aspect of it. And I'd buy one at the prices I see.

PS. If you find yourself hunting for material to make any sort of specialized rack for yours, shoot me a pm.
No aluminum in mine, all steel.

I can send you some pics if interested in building one? I also have a rotisserie and chile roasting option. All removable accessories that simply bolt to the box. For hog roasting, I would have gone larger but I can fit a suckling in the box, or I can rotisseries one.

http://www.mcreynoldsfarms.com/meats/suckling-pigs-210

Thanks for the offer! I do have a good friend a few miles away with a couple water jets, plasmas, TIG's, CNC controlled machines, brakes, benders, etc. for that "specialized" stuff I need every now and then.

Last edited by KarlK; 05-20-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: who's cooked a whole hog?.....

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: