Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

who's cooked a whole hog?.....

Old 05-15-2019, 03:33 PM
Atomic Punk
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default who's cooked a whole hog?.....

.... caught a few hogs a couple weeks ago and gonna do a whole with the family this weekend. never done one whole so kinda gonna figure it out as i go. it will be on the grill, (charcoal!) lol.... thinking, i'm gonna split it down the backbone and do halves... any tips? may just end up quartering it, not sure.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:06 PM
Silverback51
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

I have only done them in a pit Hawaiian style, never above ground.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:11 PM
flange
CF Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

there are different styles. I would recommend going to youtube and looking at a few videos, but either way I am available if you have too much finished meat and would like to send some here. good luck
Old 05-15-2019, 04:11 PM
Swany00
CF Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
My buddy is from Hawaii and I've participated in 3 of his hog spits, unbelievably good!
Old 05-15-2019, 04:20 PM
kupitz
CF Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have done several in a charcoal roaster, 150-200lb. Keep the temp consistent and low, between 200-250. A hog the size I cook is usually a 12 hour cook so I set my alarm for evey hour and get up and check the temp and adjust the vents as needed to maintain temp.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:40 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 185 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Low and slow for a very long time. Very well protected in foil. The larger the pieces the better. Cut up smaller ends up not cooking nearly as nice. Needs 24 hours to get one really perfect. Some folks say longer. If you must cut it up, wrap it at least twice as well so it cannot leak or you'll be sorry. Possibly even invest in huge oven bags for the job.

There's loads of ways shown online for doing a whole hog, nearly all of which are acceptable. It's not difficult to do it's just a lot of work. They're damn near impossible to overcook. But you can surely under cook one.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:43 PM
flange
CF Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Low and slow for a very long time. Very well protected in foil. The larger the pieces the better. Cut up smaller ends up not cooking nearly as nice. Needs 24 hours to get one really perfect. Some folks say longer. If you must cut it up, wrap it at least twice as well so it cannot leak or you'll be sorry. Possibly even invest in huge oven bags for the job.

There's loads of ways shown online for doing a whole hog, nearly all of which are acceptable. It's not difficult to do it's just a lot of work. They're damn near impossible to overcook. But you can surely under cook one.
I read a thing that said mid 160s internal temp for regular meat, 195 for pulled pork. is that correct???
Old 05-15-2019, 04:49 PM
kupitz
CF Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are selling it and worried about food inspection, personally I like it moist and that's usually pulling it at 185. It'll pull easier and you want the fat to still be a bit congealed. Doing it with skin on will help keep it moist as well.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:00 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by flange View Post
I read a thing that said mid 160s internal temp for regular meat, 195 for pulled pork. is that correct???
I can't speak to the temps for pulled pork. If I was doing that I'd simply do whole fresh roasts and do em in the oven. Size wouldn't matter then. For a whole hog, we've never done one so high (190). I built a huge cooker big enough to do 2 hogs for at the farm pond. It's all concrete and block and has massive stainless racks built in. We'd use rolls of heavy foil and completely encase the parts, and to be honest, temp was less important to us than time. It'd be an all night affair of drinking and watching the thermometer (lets say mostly drinking) but we'd do at least 24 hours, start at say 3pm Friday or Saturday for an evening meal the following day. Usually we'd have our temp achieved by 8 hours in and the rest of the time was just maintaining. I don't recall ever going over 155/160. But there's 100 ways to do it and we always did the cooking first, then opened and poured in the bbq sauce and finished at least another 8 hours. Then had sauce on the side. Made the sauce in bulk in a cast iron kettle too! :mmm mmm.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:05 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm hoping to hear by the end of this coming summer that AG Wm Barr cooks one up really well done. A hog that goes by the brand name of Hilliary . . .
Old 05-15-2019, 05:09 PM
anjdog2003
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 109 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'17

When I had too much to drink I went home with a few.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:10 PM
CJ Willys
CF Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

cochon d'lait style. google it.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:18 PM
vader86
CF Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 244 Posts

Generally yes.

The shoulders and rib meat you want to get to 195F to pull, the hams can be cooked to 160 and eaten then but can be carried further, just doesnt quite pull like the shoulder meat will.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:24 PM
fltsfshr
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's a link. He's a pro.
http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28246&highlight=whole+h og
I use this site a lot for bbq reference.
fltsfshr
Old 05-15-2019, 05:30 PM
vader86
CF Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 244 Posts

I have done a lot of smoking, not much whole hog by myself but did help others do it. We built a cinder block pit with a metal lid, you could build a hole in the ground or use a big stick burner smoker. Some thoughts on the pit method:

- Lay him on something you can flip. Like two chain link fence sections tied together with him in between. This is because if you dont, and try to flip him with your hands, he might come all apart.
- Coat skin in olive oil, other cooking oils will work too. I sprinkle some salt as well.
- flay him open, cook meat side down to start so smoke gets into his cavity and you get some good char on the edges.
- Pour rub generously into meat cavity. I dont typically use a mustard base layer for pork but it is advisable here, just to make the rub stick better since you cook meat-side down to start.
- Injection, injection, injection. You must inject to keep the meat moist. Salt/Sugar/Apple Juice is basic enough. Inject heavily into the hams especially, as they WILL dry out, but shoulders will need it too. Youre going to be cooking him a long time.
- Once flipped, mop him regularly.
- Adjust where you're putting coals underneath him to keep the hams from overcooking while getting the shoulders done enough to pull. Or, adjust the foil you put on to cover his hams. They can be tricky to keep moist, hence the need for injection.

Don't be surprised if you overcook ribs, that is normal. Just chop it all up together in the end.

If I were doing it in a offset stick burner I'd just lay him skin-side down the whole time and wrap with foil after I think he'd had enough color.

This is not something for a complete n00b to try but you can succeed.

Last edited by vader86; 05-15-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:11 PM
Atomic Punk
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
na, it'll be on a grill....

there are different styles. I would recommend going to youtube and looking at a few videos, but either way I am available if you have too much finished meat and would like to send some here. good luck
i did, just didn't see anything that would match my resources... thanks though..

Originally Posted by kupitz View Post
I have done several in a charcoal roaster, 150-200lb. Keep the temp consistent and low, between 200-250. A hog the size I cook is usually a 12 hour cook so I set my alarm for evey hour and get up and check the temp and adjust the vents as needed to maintain temp.
oh no, this little guy is about 30 lbs. prefect size. we sho nuff country folks.... lol... but really...

Originally Posted by kupitz View Post
If you are selling it and worried about food inspection, personally I like it moist and that's usually pulling it at 185. It'll pull easier and you want the fat to still be a bit congealed. Doing it with skin on will help keep it moist as well.
no, no ,no... brother we this is the family farm. we kill em and grill em. i personally have never done a whole one. i figure on splitting her down the backbone and doing halves....

Originally Posted by BadUmp View Post
I'm hoping to hear by the end of this coming summer that AG Wm Barr cooks one up really well done. A hog that goes by the brand name of Hilliary . . .
good Lord me and you too!!!

Originally Posted by fltsfshr View Post
Here's a link. He's a pro.
http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28246&highlight=whole+h og
I use this site a lot for bbq reference.
fltsfshr
coo, thanks!! looking now.....
Old 05-15-2019, 09:19 PM
Atomic Punk
CF Senior Member

i'll probably end u quartering her. butt's and hams so i don't over cook the ribs. i'll take pics and follow up here if anybodies interested and give a description of how i did and how it came out. i've come to see that not a lot of people have varied from the common spick/ underground way. like i said though, it's only about a 30 lbs shoult... (how ever ya sell it.... )lol
Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Atomic Punk View Post
oh no, this little guy is about 30 lbs. prefect size. we sho nuff country folks.... lol... but really...
Ah, ok, if it's a little guy then I'd probably stick with a big oven bag and do it inside. Jmho... Shoot for the 160 internal and hold it there for a very long time but without letting it dry out. Easy as pie. Could also treat it as baby-back ribs and just extend the time several hours, but again, gotta really keep an eye on it so it won't dry out. Can't stress enough, foil or bag cannot leak.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:37 PM
mchar
CF Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

160 is the temp to shoot for safety. The rest is up to the cook. Oftentimes I will take my 160 pork shoulder, cube it
(since it is too firm to 'pull' at that point) then put it in an aluminum 1/2 pan, add more Rub, Sweet Baby Ray's or other sauce, back on the smoker for 1/2 hour..
you now have Pork Burnt Ends. Delicious. They are Firm, maybe 175-80 in temp.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:45 PM
artz66
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Whatís the exact set up your using. We used to do it in a side box smoker every year to kick off summer. There are lots of methods depending on the set up. Ours was cracked open down the rib cage and spread out like spatchoked chicken. Inside down on indirect heat until most thick sections probe out at 200-205

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: who's cooked a whole hog?.....

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: