Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

learn to merge

Old 05-16-2019, 12:07 PM
JasonAndrew
CF Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FLEXjs View Post
Driver was at fault in that one IMHO.

After he spins out you can see the rig had a red car on the left so it couldn't move over. The driver entering the highway should have accelerated enough to pass the rig or fell in behind it.

That said I dunno why people drive side-by-side at the same speed.
The driver should have sped up, The truck should have moved over as well. Driving on the highway, I have never seen a truck not move over near a merge like that. Looked almost unbelievable. There were a lot of faults here.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:10 PM
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member

Received 772 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndrew View Post
The driver should have sped up, The truck should have moved over as well. Driving on the highway, I have never seen a truck not move over near a merge like that. Looked almost unbelievable. There were a lot of faults here.
Lol.
There is only one person at fault.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:31 PM
Meh
CF Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndrew View Post
What about if the truck (who is under no obligation to move over) couldn't move over because there was a red car in the next lane?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:21 PM
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader View Post
Lol.

Yup, the kid driving the car merging, he has to yield to traffic, the traffic on the highway has the right of way. Some people must have had a lot of wrong answers on their drivers test.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:58 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TAL View Post
If I were the driver of the red car I would have slowed down or sped up to allow the truck to move into the left lane to yield to the dumb *** driver.
Even if Red Car Driver noticed what was going on, it's not his responsibility to make room for Dumbass Driver to merge - that responsibility lies entirely with Dumbass Driver. If DD can't figure that out, he needs to surrender his license and stick to Uber.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:57 PM
TAL
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
Even if Red Car Driver noticed what was going on, it's not his responsibility to make room for Dumbass Driver to merge - that responsibility lies entirely with Dumbass Driver. If DD can't figure that out, he needs to surrender his license and stick to Uber.

Correct...but as a COURTESY for the truck driver.

Don't see that much on the road anymore.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Meh
CF Senior Member

Don't see that much on the road anymore.
What makes you think that the red car saw through the truck to the car attempting to merge?
Old 05-16-2019, 05:15 PM
TAL
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Meh View Post
What makes you think that the red car saw through the truck to the car attempting to merge?
Look at my post #19

"You've GOT to keep a constant lookout even on boring miles of expressway."

I would have saw that car trying to merge. I see this on I-90-94 in Indiana going to Michigan all the time. And I wouldn't have hung in that lane next to the truck for a long period of time as someone else posted above.

Keep your eyes on the road and put your phone down. (I'm not sayin' you do that! )
Old 05-16-2019, 05:38 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

There's a fine line between being courteous and being an enabler.

How are incompetent drivers ever going to learn how to drive correctly if there are never any consequences for their bad behavior?
Old 05-16-2019, 06:25 PM
Meh
CF Senior Member

Look at my post #19

I would have saw that car trying to merge. I see this on I-90-94 in Indiana going to Michigan all the time. And I wouldn't have hung in that lane next to the truck for a long period of time as someone else posted above.

Keep your eyes on the road and put your phone down. (I'm not sayin' you do that! )
Your x-ray vision is impressive, allowing you to see through trailers and such.

As also mentioned above, how do we know that the red car was just parked next to the truck rather than passing it? All said and done, the driver with the dash cam needed to just get off the gas for a couple of seconds rather than try to beat the truck into that lane. You can come up with what if scenarios all day long and talk about being courteous and giving a wide berth to anybody merging (regardless of how unreasonable that is in some cases), but the person who caused that wreck is the driver of the car with the dash cam. Also, how do you expect the truck to move over when the car was in its blind spot for a good portion of time while accelerating to merge into a spot that didn't exist? It's very possible that the truck didn't know he was even there until it was too late.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:32 PM
FLEXjs
CF Senior Member

Received 250 Likes on 132 Posts

Look at my post #19

What planet on you on that people are even remotely courteous and considerate of others on the roads?

Here people go out of their way to **** you, even if it doesn't benefit them.

Whenever I come home through town the last lighted intersection before my street I get people going straight that pull over to the right to block me from getting by and turning right. They have to get back over immediately after the light because there's parking n the right side of the street after the light. But there attitude is "If I can't go, you can't go either." Just got hung up behind a line of 8 or so cars and when I honk instead of moving to the left they move further right to ensure I can't get by. So they just make traffic worse in order to give themselves some perverse pleasure.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:10 PM
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Old 05-17-2019, 12:45 PM
Meh
CF Senior Member

What planet on you on that people are even remotely courteous and considerate of others on the roads?

Here people go out of their way to **** you, even if it doesn't benefit them.

Whenever I come home through town the last lighted intersection before my street I get people going straight that pull over to the right to block me from getting by and turning right. They have to get back over immediately after the light because there's parking n the right side of the street after the light. But there attitude is "If I can't go, you can't go either." Just got hung up behind a line of 8 or so cars and when I honk instead of moving to the left they move further right to ensure I can't get by. So they just make traffic worse in order to give themselves some perverse pleasure.
Some people are ********. That doesn't mean that people maintaining their lane and speed on the freeway are being inconsiderate. I suspect that the law gives the right of way to the drivers already on the freeway in order to avoid all of the nonsense that comes from people trying to guess what other drivers are going to do. Merging is easy if you know that the driver on the freeway is going to maintain their position and the merging driver just has to head for an unoccupied spot. It's not so easy when cars are bouncing around trying to let somebody in and speeding up, slowing down, trying to change lanes, etc. What happens when people are too busy focusing on merging with cars moving all around randomly and something happens just ahead? Nothing good...

As to the ******* drivers who try to block your right turns for no reason, they make me glad that I'm usually driving a big truck and can easily get over curbs and the like when needed.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:44 PM
ThePirate
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader View Post
Lol.
It's never the nitwit's fault; always the other guy's. Just part of the new thinking about any subject.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:00 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Whenever I come home through town the last lighted intersection before my street I get people going straight that pull over to the right to block me from getting by and turning right.
Yep, I see that passive-aggressive **** every day. People turning left swing over to the right and slow way the **** down so as to make you wait for them as long as possible. People come to a complete stop at a Yield sign at an empty intersection and sit there motionless for several seconds, simply to **** with the person behind them; if there's no car behind them they blow right through the Yield sign. People in the left leave several car lengths of empty space between their car and the car in front, blocking access to the left turn pocket. There's all kinds of P-A games that drivers play.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:20 PM
FLEXjs
CF Senior Member

Received 250 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
People in the left leave several car lengths of empty space between their car and the car in front, blocking access to the left turn pocket.
^^^ Super popular Passive Aggressive **** that people do up here all the time too.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:06 PM
CJ Willys
CF Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

so lessons have expensive tuition bills
Old 05-17-2019, 05:23 PM
Pete2k_Z28
CF Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I admire his entrepreneurial spirit. Some people only see failure, I see someone trying to get around an obstacle to ones goals. I predict he will be a CEO some day. Or a pepperoni pizza, one or the other.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:21 PM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Received 426 Likes on 393 Posts

.Yep...and don't drive side by side for miles...that's an accident waiting to happen.

Reminds me of something that happened to me, almost 20 years ago....and I still remember it. My wife and I are on our vacation, heading south on I95, on our way to South Carolina. We're cruising along in the right lane, 2-3 MPH over the speed limit, but getting passed pretty regularly. I look in the outside mirror, and see an 18 wheeler coming up on us, and I'm expecting it to go past....but it doesn't. It gets next to us, then just sits!!

This goes on for 2-3 miles, until we come up on an entrance ramp, and sure enough, another 18 wheeler is heading down the ramp, expecting to merge in. I do a quick "visual calculation", and realize that if I continue at the same speed, we're going to become the "meat" in an 18 wheeler sandwich. So, I did the only thing a self respecting "wheelman" would do......I stood on the gas, and got us well ahead of the potential mess......talk about a dumb-*** truck driver.....
Old 05-17-2019, 08:23 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I'm expecting it to go past....but it doesn't. It gets next to us, then just sits!!

This goes on for 2-3 miles
I see this all the time - they're going faster until they catch up to you, and then they slow down to match your speed. It's like the other vehicle gets caught in your gravity well or something.

But what I really don't understand is why the car in the right lane puts up with that ****. If someone pulls up next to me, they have about 3 seconds to complete their pass - if they don't, then I either speed up or slow down to reestablish my space cushion. Usually I will speed up, and if that happens there's no way in hell that fucktard will ever catch up to me again. You will never see me allowing some retard to sit next to me for mile after mile after mile.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: learn to merge

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: