Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Kspaz second home

 
Old 05-16-2019, 03:10 AM
  #21  
Z06LMB
CF Senior Member
 
Z06LMB's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Ottsville Bedminster Region Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,584
Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

That house needs a load of up dating and reverse a lot of bad work.

Trim work was redone cheaply, wainscoting is bs. Fireplaces were re done and look terrible compared to the way the period fireplaces would have looked like. Finished basement (No Comment!)

Lighting fixtures are cheap **** and don’t match time period of this house.

The house is likely not lived in, sparsely furnished and what is there is crap.

better pictures could tell a better story. Needs loads of correct trim, lighting, period details. I’ll bet anything the plumbing is a total disaster with everything raised on a pedestal.

Likely lots of Asbestos, lead paint under a number of top coats. Windows and doors likely need replacing. Kitchen - are you nuts?

Not enough character to justify sinking $300,000 into a $200,000 house and not be upside down when you’re all done. This area just won’t support enough buyers of this price range in the future.
Z06LMB is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 06:07 AM
  #22  
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Little Red L98's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Location: OMAHA!
Posts: 33,241
Received 147 Likes on 76 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17
Default

Originally Posted by flange View Post
just a web page. they don't have the tech or give a *** to run a webstore and send out packages every day.


Insanely good doesnít begin to describe how insanely good Kowalonekís product is. They do good enough business to give zero fks about online shopping.




As as far as the local economy, are democrats responsible for the corporate greed that led to the outsourcing of virtually the entire US manufacturing industry, or was it rich, white, greedy fat cats who only care about Benjamins rather than the little people who made them rich, white, greedy fat cats? Fortunately, a few mom and pop shops like Kowalonekís are so good they are able to survive and thrive in spite of it. But, hey, thereís always coal.
Little Red L98 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 06:20 AM
  #23  
Murray Anderson
CF Senior Member
 
Murray Anderson's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 16,374
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Here's the place I went to look at. It didn't sell for $219 and they took it off the market. This house is ALL steel construction with every joist is a steel beam. When I say straight as a die, I mean looks like the Pyramids. Stone tile roof, all copper gutters. Ceramic tile courtyard, chestnut woodwork thoughout. Spectacular. With a view over the entire city...

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M36672-86080
[Tennis&GolfNut] Itís got a balcony. Price should be double what it is. [/Tennis&GolfNut]
Murray Anderson is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 06:57 AM
  #24  
Tuco
CF Senior Member
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Posts: 26,797
Likes: 0
Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Here's the place I went to look at. It didn't sell for $219 and they took it off the market. This house is ALL steel construction with every joist is a steel beam. When I say straight as a die, I mean looks like the Pyramids. Stone tile roof, all copper gutters. Ceramic tile courtyard, chestnut woodwork thoughout. Spectacular. With a view over the entire city...

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M36672-86080
therein lies the problem.

Actually I like it....
Tuco is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 08:55 AM
  #25  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 28,610
Received 226 Likes on 185 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
therein lies the problem.

Actually I like it....
I gave it a fair amount of thought. The house is situated on a hill, and I went there in the wintertime. The drive was very steep under the porte cochere and rather narrow. It had snowed a good bit and my pickup was slipping and spinning even in 4wd going up. I thought... eh, this isn't great trying to get up to the garage, and the neighbors own the lot behind and other beside. Then I thought, eh, no problem. Go knock on the door and ask to buy their place and tear it down and put a drive in the rear. And I was seriously thinking this. With 1/3 of the population gone in a decade and properties available for $0, it wasn't like a house has to have a for sale sign on it for it to be on the market.

It was odd though. You'd drive down some streets at night and wondered if the power wasn't out.

The B&B I stayed in had been the rectory for the primary church out there, big big church. I bet 15k sq ft. Place was beautiful as you might have guessed a rectory would be. The folks bought it for just over $60k for a B&B and the church itself had been sold for $1. There were 7 churches in town and they brought a total of $7.
K-Spaz is online now  
Old 05-17-2019, 01:04 AM
  #26  
Tuco
CF Senior Member
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Posts: 26,797
Likes: 0
Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
I gave it a fair amount of thought. The house is situated on a hill, and I went there in the wintertime. The drive was very steep under the porte cochere and rather narrow. It had snowed a good bit and my pickup was slipping and spinning even in 4wd going up. I thought... eh, this isn't great trying to get up to the garage, and the neighbors own the lot behind and other beside. Then I thought, eh, no problem. Go knock on the door and ask to buy their place and tear it down and put a drive in the rear. And I was seriously thinking this. With 1/3 of the population gone in a decade and properties available for $0, it wasn't like a house has to have a for sale sign on it for it to be on the market.

It was odd though. You'd drive down some streets at night and wondered if the power wasn't out.

The B&B I stayed in had been the rectory for the primary church out there, big big church. I bet 15k sq ft. Place was beautiful as you might have guessed a rectory would be. The folks bought it for just over $60k for a B&B and the church itself had been sold for $1. There were 7 churches in town and they brought a total of $7.
Need to make that place vegas bunny ranch east.....shuttle the people down from the casino...get them all liquored up on a party bus and steels their stuffs.

I would love to redo the inside back to the glory days.

dying to see the house a 100 yards away from me..... used to be owned by PT Barnum ... all that old fine detailed woodwork from yesteryear,,,

Fantastic history..
Also if you have Netflix.. watch that circus flick..

Here is the House ........it's a tad more $$
Tuco is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 02:33 AM
  #27  
KarlK
CF Senior Member
 
KarlK's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: No, I'm not related to PeterK
Posts: 45,020
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Here's the place I went to look at. It didn't sell for $219 and they took it off the market. This house is ALL steel construction with every joist is a steel beam. When I say straight as a die, I mean looks like the Pyramids. Stone tile roof, all copper gutters. Ceramic tile courtyard, chestnut woodwork thoughout. Spectacular. With a view over the entire city...

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M36672-86080
looks like a place that could be haunted
KarlK is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 07:40 AM
  #28  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 28,610
Received 226 Likes on 185 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Need to make that place vegas bunny ranch east.....shuttle the people down from the casino...get them all liquored up on a party bus and steels their stuffs.

I would love to redo the inside back to the glory days.

dying to see the house a 100 yards away from me..... used to be owned by PT Barnum ... all that old fine detailed woodwork from yesteryear,,,

Fantastic history..
Also if you have Netflix.. watch that circus flick..

Here is the House ........it's a tad more $$
Link fail...


Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
looks like a place that could be haunted
People say that about my current place and I just tell them, well if it was haunted before, the ghosts move out when I move in.
K-Spaz is online now  
Old 05-17-2019, 07:57 AM
  #29  
KarlK
CF Senior Member
 
KarlK's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: No, I'm not related to PeterK
Posts: 45,020
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Link fail...



People say that about my current place and I just tell them, well if it was haunted before, the ghosts move out when I move in.
I think I've seen some pics of the inside of your place, was it a funeral parlor?
KarlK is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 08:40 AM
  #30  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 28,610
Received 226 Likes on 185 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
I think I've seen some pics of the inside of your place, was it a funeral parlor?
No, no funerals that I know of.

It was a private residence of an author/ambassador/army col. Originally a great big estate (1000s of acres) and somewhere around the 20s to 40s he turned it into a hotel, as well as lived in it part time when not in NYC. I have a postcard I was given that's laminated in acrylic dated August 1944, sent to a family in Linglestown PA (quite a ways from here) and it has a picture of the house on it. They said in the note that this was the place they were staying. So by then it was being rented out. In 1970 it was made into a residence again, and later that family made it into a B&B. Those folks are quite well to do. They sold it to a bunch of morons who went belly up while screwing the place up, trying to make a restaurant out of it as well. I bought it as a repo and made it a residence again so I could do the work without having L&I breathing down my neck and forcing me to pay whatever the traffic would bear to get things done on their schedule.
K-Spaz is online now  
Old 05-17-2019, 08:45 AM
  #31  
kupitz
CF Senior Member
 
kupitz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Location: New Providence Pennsylvania
Posts: 216
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 001pewter View Post
I'm gonna guess probably the location.
Shenandoah is pretty far off the beaten path, the only big employer in town is Mrs' T's Pierogies
kupitz is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:06 AM
  #32  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 28,610
Received 226 Likes on 185 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Need to make that place vegas bunny ranch east.....shuttle the people down from the casino...get them all liquored up on a party bus and steels their stuffs.

I would love to redo the inside back to the glory days.

dying to see the house a 100 yards away from me..... used to be owned by PT Barnum ... all that old fine detailed woodwork from yesteryear,,,

Fantastic history..
Also if you have Netflix.. watch that circus flick..

Here is the House ........it's a tad more $$
I'm not sure PT Barnum didn't own the one I have.
K-Spaz is online now  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:54 PM
  #33  
flange
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
flange's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: resting comfortably in my mind
Posts: 16,096
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
I gave it a fair amount of thought. The house is situated on a hill, and I went there in the wintertime. The drive was very steep under the porte cochere and rather narrow. It had snowed a good bit and my pickup was slipping and spinning even in 4wd going up. I thought... eh, this isn't great trying to get up to the garage, and the neighbors own the lot behind and other beside. Then I thought, eh, no problem. Go knock on the door and ask to buy their place and tear it down and put a drive in the rear. And I was seriously thinking this. With 1/3 of the population gone in a decade and properties available for $0, it wasn't like a house has to have a for sale sign on it for it to be on the market.

It was odd though. You'd drive down some streets at night and wondered if the power wasn't out.

The B&B I stayed in had been the rectory for the primary church out there, big big church. I bet 15k sq ft. Place was beautiful as you might have guessed a rectory would be. The folks bought it for just over $60k for a B&B and the church itself had been sold for $1. There were 7 churches in town and they brought a total of $7.
A boiler some tubing and a bunch of labor you can make a snowmelt grid under the driveway.
flange is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 07:01 PM
  #34  
Cool 50th AE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Cool 50th AE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: NE USA
Posts: 5,008
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Iíve been looking for places in PA.

This looks interesting if the house was built correctly.

Will probably sell for less than 100K.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...680209#photo15



Cool 50th AE is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 07:11 PM
  #35  
flange
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
flange's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: resting comfortably in my mind
Posts: 16,096
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default

Originally Posted by Cool 50th AE View Post
Iíve been looking for places in PA.

This looks interesting if the house was built correctly.

Will probably sell for less than 100K.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...680209#photo15



I personally wouldn't touch that. you can get a very nice house, done, with furniture for not much more. youll blow your load trying to get that right. also, if you don't know the areas, be careful.
flange is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 07:16 PM
  #36  
Cool 50th AE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Cool 50th AE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: NE USA
Posts: 5,008
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flange View Post
I personally wouldn't touch that. you can get a very nice house, done, with furniture for not much more. youll blow your load trying to get that right. also, if you don't know the areas, be careful.
Iím looking for something with at least 5 acres that is not near any other houses.

Let me know If you see anything interesting.






Cool 50th AE is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 07:21 PM
  #37  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 28,610
Received 226 Likes on 185 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

HOLY Mother o Pearl! Are they smok'n meth or what?

Taxes on $129k is 6 Grand?

\
K-Spaz is online now  
Old 05-17-2019, 07:24 PM
  #38  
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
 
K-Spaz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: Central PA. My AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Posts: 28,610
Received 226 Likes on 185 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

Originally Posted by Cool 50th AE View Post
Iím looking for something with at least 5 acres that is not near any other houses.

Let me know If you see anything interesting.
Where do you want to move to?

My sister and BIL just bought a place 2 years ago in Port Matilda that's very nice. About 20 minutes from State College. They bought 12 acres and a 3200 sq ft house that's 1 mile from the interstate but very remote, House was built in the 90s. I think they paid just around 200k. Area is beautiful, you've got an airport fairly close and a pretty good sized, affluent town with LOTs of stuff to do 20 minutes away. RE in State College is insane.
K-Spaz is online now  
Old 05-17-2019, 07:33 PM
  #39  
flange
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
flange's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: resting comfortably in my mind
Posts: 16,096
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default

Originally Posted by Cool 50th AE View Post
Iím looking for something with at least 5 acres that is not near any other houses.

Let me know If you see anything interesting.
buy this and have a place built. https://www.trulia.com/property/5053...ville-PA-18372
flange is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 07:33 PM
  #40  
Cool 50th AE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Cool 50th AE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: NE USA
Posts: 5,008
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Where do you want to move to?.
Looking for anywhere within 2.5hours of Philly.
I want something far from the road with lots of trees.




Cool 50th AE is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kspaz second home


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: