Old 05-16-2019, 08:43 AM
tims93
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Default Audiophiles, opinion wanted.

Vintage Sansui 8900ZDB Receiver

https://erie.craigslist.org/ele/d/er...887421067.html

I know some of you guys are heavy into this stuff from previous threads. Iíve been looking for a vintage stereo receiver so I can use my turntable again. I canít spend thousands on upper end stuff but would like decent stuff with the cool vintage look. This one popped up on CL and was wondering if itís a decent unit or if itís way over priced. My turntable is a Pioneer PL-530 if that makes a difference, also what brand of floor speakers are good? Are there any other places to look for this type of equipment other than CL? I donít have any stores near me that deal with this stuff or I would buy it at reputable shop.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:22 PM
SilverC1
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A lot of the old Japanese stuff is pretty good, although I am not that familiar with Sansui. Personally, I think it would make more sense to look for an older integrated amp, rather than a receiver. Unless you are really intending to listen to a lot of traditional radio, integrated amps from that era tend to be of somewhat higher quality, as they were more oriented to "serious" listeners (who might buy a separate tuner, if they really needed it). Plus, and this is just personal opinion, they just look cooler..... You will still want to make sure that there is a phono stage built in, of course.

Old Marantz integrated amps are a good choice, if you can find one. Back in the day I had a Kenwood integrated amp, that was really nice. 60 wpc, really good specs, etc. Not viewed as highly as Marantz, but the build quality was excellent. Old Pioneer integrated amps are also good.

Old turntables are usually a pretty good bet, although you may want to throw a new cartridge on it. I am still using the Dual 502 belt-drive turntable I bought in 1977, still on its original belt!

I'd go modern with speakers, though. One, because there have been greater advances in speaker technology over the years, than in the other areas (in my opinion, anyway), and also because with vintage speakers you may have issues with things like the cone surrounds having decayed, rotted, or whatever.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:17 PM
Donuts
CF Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Keep it all vintage . It's not a big deal to get vintage JBL's or whatever your flavor as long as cabinets are nice. The drivers are all available to replace yours if surrounds are rotted etc. there's even kits to refurb your own if you have the time.

Imo, modern speakers have drifted and cater to the AV crowd . I bought a new pair of paradigm monitor 11's a year ago and needed a sub, so I picked up a 10" powered sub and it's still not enough.. nearly $3k in and still won't run with my old infinity's or Klipsch Chorus .. look and see if you find a home speaker company that makes a pair with 15's or 12's and you prob won't.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:50 PM
Swany00
CF Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Sansui vintage?? More like cheap ****, I'd replace it with something better
Old 05-17-2019, 03:16 PM
mrvette
CF Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 124 Posts

ONE word.....McIntosh......CASE CLOSED!11
Old 05-17-2019, 04:02 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tims93 View Post
Iíve been looking for a vintage stereo receiver so I can use my turntable again.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2_USB_1_1.html

YW
Old 05-17-2019, 05:02 PM
His93C4
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is the one I use, An ART Phono Preamp Plus. You can use it as a phono preamp with RIAA eq and then you can also use it to hook up to your computer and digitize the albums if you want.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-17-2019, 05:13 PM
1K SPORT
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My brother is running an old Marantz (2230 I think?) receiver with old Sansui speakers. It sounds pretty good for playing old records.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:21 PM
TAL
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like this old stuff! I'd look into it if that's your thing.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:39 PM
lite blue
CF Senior Member

Location: I'm going to need a bucket of ice and a roll of gaffer tape
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

That push button eighties stuff generally isn't great.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:03 PM
jd
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06, '15

Last edited by jd; 05-17-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:52 PM
DREEZZEE
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tims93 View Post
Vintage Sansui 8900ZDB Receiver

https://erie.craigslist.org/ele/d/er...887421067.html

I know some of you guys are heavy into this stuff from previous threads. Iíve been looking for a vintage stereo receiver so I can use my turntable again. I canít spend thousands on upper end stuff but would like decent stuff with the cool vintage look. This one popped up on CL and was wondering if itís a decent unit or if itís way over priced. My turntable is a Pioneer PL-530 if that makes a difference, also what brand of floor speakers are good? Are there any other places to look for this type of equipment other than CL? I donít have any stores near me that deal with this stuff or I would buy it at reputable shop.
Thanks in advance.

I use my current Denon receiver with the turntable connected to the Media Player input.
I use a Phono Pre-amp between the turntable and the receiver.
Glass tubes
Sounds great plays right through my ceiling speakers and the rest of my surround system.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:11 PM
tims93
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Swany00 View Post
Sansui vintage?? More like cheap ****, I'd replace it with something better
Thanks for your input, very helpful.

Originally Posted by jd View Post
Thanks JD! Iíll give him a call, he could be the guy!
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
hendrix68
CF Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by mrvette View Post

McIntosh is consistently the best. The only problem is that McIntosh is at a level that a number of other components can often match for a small fraction of the price.
Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
808_Vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette View Post

For vintage speakers I like ADS, JBL and if space allows Altec Lancing Voice of the Theaters.
Old Today, 02:02 PM
kingpin111
CF Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
Keep it all vintage . It's not a big deal to get vintage JBL's or whatever your flavor as long as cabinets are nice. The drivers are all available to replace yours if surrounds are rotted etc. there's even kits to refurb your own if you have the time.

Imo, modern speakers have drifted and cater to the AV crowd . I bought a new pair of paradigm monitor 11's a year ago and needed a sub, so I picked up a 10" powered sub and it's still not enough.. nearly $3k in and still won't run with my old infinity's or Klipsch Chorus .. look and see if you find a home speaker company that makes a pair with 15's or 12's and you prob won't.
Originally Posted by 808_Vette View Post

For vintage speakers I like ADS, JBL and if space allows Altec Lancing Voice of the Theaters.

I wish I still had my JBL L-112's.
I refinished them and then sold them.
One of my biggest audio regrets in my life.

Old Today, 03:14 PM
noonie
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverC1 View Post
A lot of the old Japanese stuff is pretty good, although I am not that familiar with Sansui. Personally, I think it would make more sense to look for an older integrated amp, rather than a receiver. Unless you are really intending to listen to a lot of traditional radio, integrated amps from that era tend to be of somewhat higher quality, as they were more oriented to "serious" listeners (who might buy a separate tuner, if they really needed it). Plus, and this is just personal opinion, they just look cooler..... You will still want to make sure that there is a phono stage built in, of course.

Old Marantz integrated amps are a good choice, if you can find one. Back in the day I had a Kenwood integrated amp, that was really nice. 60 wpc, really good specs, etc. Not viewed as highly as Marantz, but the build quality was excellent. Old Pioneer integrated amps are also good.

Old turntables are usually a pretty good bet, although you may want to throw a new cartridge on it. I am still using the Dual 502 belt-drive turntable I bought in 1977, still on its original belt!

I'd go modern with speakers, though. One, because there have been greater advances in speaker technology over the years, than in the other areas (in my opinion, anyway), and also because with vintage speakers you may have issues with things like the cone surrounds having decayed, rotted, or whatever.
Still have a Pioneer PL 1150 that has had the belts turn to gum twice over the years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audiophiles, opinion wanted.

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: