[geek] networked printers

Old 06-14-2019, 08:11 AM
Markm10431
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14
Default [geek] networked printers

I'm working with a networked printer on a windows 10 environment, and the "address" is //desktop-3/EPSON TM-T88V Receipt Printer

is the // workstation/device a kosher format? I'm 90% certain the network is set up as a windows workgroup, not a traditional network with a server.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:43 AM
grandpawmoses
CF Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's not working, then I'd say it's not kosher.

Sorry....I accidentally checked the "smart ***" box when I got out of bed this morning.

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 06-14-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:05 AM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Received 276 Likes on 219 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

In my experience, I find it a good bit easier to simply use a DHCP reservation on the router to force it to always give the printer the same address. Leave the printer configuration the default (dhcp). Then configure the windows port for that printer to that address. For example 192.168.0.xxx, and you're done with it. The number of ways different systems handle device names can be a colossal pita. You would like to think that would be simpler, but in reality it's not. Life is too short for that ****.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:11 AM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Markm10431 View Post
I'm working with a networked printer on a windows 10 environment, and the "address" is //desktop-3/EPSON TM-T88V Receipt Printer

is the // workstation/device a kosher format?
No.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:43 AM
Car Fan
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the printer hooked up directly to the network or is it attached to a workstation and shared that way?
Old 06-14-2019, 04:46 PM
Gordon Shumway
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually just turn the printer on, go to W10 settings, hit Add a Printer, choose it from a list, and the thing just seems to magically spit out things I want to print. At that point it falls in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:21 PM
Stevedore
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Looks like a printer shared off a network workstation. Better would be to do as K-Spaz suggested.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:21 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

I have mine set up the Spazzy way, that way I can code the printer address into the various PCs on my network. I don't have issues with it reserved
Old 06-14-2019, 06:49 PM
Markm10431
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Car Fan View Post
Is the printer hooked up directly to the network or is it attached to a workstation and shared that way?
hooked to a computer that is on the network. can't put an IP in because every time they shut down the network will have the chance to assign a new IP. I'm positive it's a dynamic IP.

Last edited by Markm10431; 06-14-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:04 PM
noonie
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

hooked to a computer that is on the network. can't put an IP in because every time they shut down the network will have the chance to assign a new IP. I'm positive it's a dynamic IP.
Hardwire it to the router, not a computer.
Then set it to a static address as Spaz outlined. You should be able to do that in the printer setup menu.
That way it is available both on wired and Wifi including phones and tablets as well.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:14 PM
Car Fan
CF Senior Member

Can't you request a static IP from whoever runs the network? If you can't then it will have to be a windows shared printer. It's been so long since I worked with windows workgroups I can't help much.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:16 PM
Car Fan
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by noonie View Post
Hardwire it to the router, not a computer.
Then set it to a static address as Spaz outlined. You should be able to do that in the printer setup menu.
That way it is available both on wired and Wifi including phones and tablets as well.
The thing is he may not have access to the router to make changes.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:17 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Can you tell us the exact model number of printer? We would need to know if it actually has an RJ45 port on it. If it does then I would use that instead of the current configuration. Life will be simpler. If that's not an option and this thing is restricted to USB off of your PC, then you're going to have to stick with the PC name / share name format. One downside is that method requires that PC to be on in order for anyone to use the printer. If you go RJ45 nothing else needs to be on.

If the current setup appears to be working, I wouldn't mess with it. If it isn't working, you haven't told us what doesn't work.

Last edited by K-Spaz; 06-14-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:40 PM
noonie
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Can you tell us the exact model number of printer? We would need to know if it actually has an RJ45 port on it. If it does then I would use that instead of the current configuration. Life will be simpler. If that's not an option and this thing is restricted to USB off of your PC, then you're going to have to stick with the PC name / share name format. One downside is that method requires that PC to be on in order for anyone to use the printer. If you go RJ45 nothing else needs to be on.

If the current setup appears to be working, I wouldn't mess with it. If it isn't working, you haven't told us what doesn't work.

Looks like a EPSON TM-T88V Receipt Printer
Standard Connectivity:Built-in USB interface plus another selection: serialRS-232C, parallel IEEE-1284, high-speed USB, poweredUSB, Ethernet 10/100Base-T/TX, 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz)and 802.11a/n (5GHz) or Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

From OP's first post
Old 06-14-2019, 09:26 PM
Markm10431
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post

no its an epson tm-t88v usb connected to a computer and shared to the network. the other computer sees it, but will not process the preview image prior to printing.

Last edited by Markm10431; 06-14-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:09 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by noonie View Post
Looks like a EPSON TM-T88V Receipt Printer
Standard Connectivity:Built-in USB interface plus another selection: serialRS-232C, parallel IEEE-1284, high-speed USB, poweredUSB, Ethernet 10/100Base-T/TX, 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz)and 802.11a/n (5GHz) or Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

From OP's first post
Good detective work there, you got it right. I just wasn't willing to make the leap and start making recommendations without him verifying it.

no its an epson tm-t88v usb connected to a computer and shared to the network. the other computer sees it, but will not process the preview image prior to printing.
As was pointed out above, you do have the option of connecting this thing with ethernet. I would discuss that with whoever you need to get involved and handle Communications to it that way. I'm hesitant to say if your current Communications method would change the way your system looks at the device and whether or not it will do a print preview. Normally I would think it would do the print preview but maybe it wouldn't be accurate given the printer margins or that sort of thing, because given your current mode of Communications, it may not have all the same controls. I've seen a lot of crazy things with printers over the years.

There's another possibility, I've seen where if you point to the printer after doing a search for available devices, and you do and install that way, that is sometimes not the same thing as downloading the device drivers online and installing them from the manufacturers set up program. You don't always get all the configuration dialogues when you allow Windows to simply pull the drivers from another PC. It either takes them from the other PC or it takes some generic ones that it has built-in which are probably ancient. Either way, that's a possibility that I've seen in the past. Consider uninstalling the printer, downloading the new drivers from the web from the manufacturer, and then reinstall using their setup utility.

Maybe there is a connection that eliminates problems here, but when I configure a printer using ethernet, you are then forced to use the manufacturer setup utility to install it. It just keeps coming back to more reasons to set the printer up using ethernet and a static address. Or maybe not a static address but a DHCP reservation.

Last edited by K-Spaz; 06-14-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:43 PM
Markm10431
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

it's a mom pop store, and thats what there is to work with. it's really outside the scope of my job, but they are a cranky customer and I'm trying to do a solid. I think I may try reinstalling the drivers and get rid of the wierd network name. if that doesn't work i'm shipping it to programming
Old 06-14-2019, 11:02 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

If you have jurisdiction over how it's configured, absolutely get rid of that USB Arrangement and switch it over to ethernet. Configure it as a DHCP reservation on their router and then reinstall the printer using the setup utility that came from the manufacturer. I'm telling you all the problems will go away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [geek] networked printers

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: