Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Marriott Customer Service

Old 07-06-2019, 09:33 AM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

Default Marriott Customer Service

My wife and I are down in Houston to catch a cruise.

On our way down we decided to take a stop by Baton Rouge since we have never been.

We stayed at Marriott Autograph series hotel. They are one offs with specific themes. This one used to be a bank so it was done in a complete early 20s bank theme. The hotel itself was fantastic as were the rooms. We stayed at the London House in Chicago last year another of their Autograph hotels and it was excellent.

The problem started at about 10pm when we find out it is bookended by 2 nightclubs. The hotel is a very narrow building that is about 1/4 of a city block long. You couldn't sleep at all, they tried 3 different rooms and said that is just how it is on the weekends. They are open air nightclubs, nothing captures the noise.

We finally got fed up and checked out figuring we could be in Houston in 3 hours and it was already 11:30pm.

They refunded us our money but I was still pissed because after going through some of the reviews they know this is a problem.

Call the hotel in Houston and they are full...call Marriott customer service and they find us another hotel for last night but we have a reservation that cannot be cancelled.

The guy from Marriott says he can check and see if they can cancel. I told him none of this would have happened if it wasn't for the first problem and I don't want to shuffle around because of a problem with their hotel.

He passes me up a level. The woman comes on and says he explained the story and they are picking up the entire weekend for us.

Cancelled our other reservation, refunded us for the previous night, and comped our hotel for last night and tonight.

In Houston a holiday weekend that saved us about $450.

We've always good customer service from them and not having to argue my point helps. They did not only the right thing but went a step above IMO.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:37 AM
snide
CF Senior Member

Location: You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make him think. - snide The problem with the gene
Received 151 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Marriott is my preferred hotel company, and with over 900 nights, I'm Lifetime Titanium Elite. And I still get crappy customer service and some of their properties.

Glad things worked out for you though.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:46 AM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by snide View Post
Marriott is my preferred hotel company, and with over 900 nights, I'm Lifetime Titanium Elite. And I still get crappy customer service and some of their properties.

CS at some places is poor but when we call the CS line they always make it right.

A couple of years ago we decided to go to Niagra Falls for a weekend. They had a smoking deal on a Junior Presidential Suite for like $189 a night over the falls. Off season is usually like that, it is a $800 room during peak.

We called, got a price and said OK let's go. Had to arrange a sitter for the dog. Call back to book and they said they were busy and would call us back. Took our number and called us back. I specifically asked if that price was good for the day to which they said yes.

So we arrange all this stuff to leave in literally an hour from first call to last. They call me back and say it is now $459 a night and they wouldn't budge even though it was them that insisted on calling us back.

I called JW Marrior corp office and got someone on their exec team.

Called me back in 10 minutes, $89 a night and free dinner/breakfast.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-06-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:47 AM
snide
CF Senior Member

Location: You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make him think. - snide The problem with the gene
Received 151 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
CS at some places is poor but when we call the CS line they always make it right.

A couple of years ago we decided to go to Niagra Falls for a weekend. They had a smoking deal on a Junior Presidential Suite for like $189 a night over the falls. Off season is usually like that, it is a $800 room during peak.

We called, got a price and said OK let's go. Had to arrange a sitter for the dog. Call back to book and they said they were busy and would call us back. Took our number and called us back. I specifically asked if that price was good for the day to which they said yes.

So we arrange all this stuff to leave in literally an hour from first call to last. They call me back and say it is now $459 a night and they wouldn't budge even though it was them that insisted on calling us back.

I called JW Marrior corp office and got someone on their exec team.

Called me back in 10 minutes, $89 a night and free dinner/breakfast.
Nice.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:14 AM
Myfourth1
CF Senior Member

Received 366 Likes on 242 Posts

When I was Platinum level (I'm now lower than whale scum since I retired) I was upgraded to the Presidential Suite more than once in my travels. I've always had good service from Marriott. Of course they liked me since I literally lived in the JW Marriott in Mexico City for almost a year.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:15 AM
SurfnSun
CF Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 104 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I’m at about 400 lifetime nights, some hotel have great service and some don’t. For the most part I’ve been very pleased with Marriott. However the new Bonvoy name is dumb.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Greg00Coupe
CF Senior Member

Received 303 Likes on 228 Posts

Good for you. I’m battling a similar issue. Checked in last week neighbors carrying on, there was a group of them, stopped at midnight and resumed at 430 until 6.

We were near the main desk and no one did anything to quiet things down. Hotel credited me 500 points, BS. I’ve called the hotel 3 times, call CS yesterday, they assigned a case number and said to wait 72 hours. This where they say 100% satisfaction guaranteed?

Ive also complained to them about pricing. Another property last week, I’m in the lobby asking for best rate, also on their app.....Priceline was cheaper. Why? I’ve been in the Marriott program for 40 years, own their timeshares too. And I have to go to Priceline to get the best rate?

Of course no answer to my email.

Beginning to move to Hilton. Had good experiences there.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:57 AM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

All that fuss when you coulda gone down and enjoyed the two clubs for a few hours then conk out after they closed. Why did you go to Baton Rouge to hit the sack at 10?

Last edited by FourPennyDoug; 07-06-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:15 PM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

That's what happens when you book for points and not comfort. I'm guessing there are plenty of review on Yelp expressing disappointment with the place you stayed?

I have no loyalty to one specific hotel chain and never achieve Super Rhodium level with any of them. I stay where it's convenient and comfortable, based upon previous experiences and on line reviews.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:19 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 593 Likes on 276 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post
All that fuss when you coulda gone down and enjoyed the two clubs for a few hours then conk out after they closed. Why did you go to Baton Rouge to hit the sack at 10?

This

Plus search reviews of hotels prior to staying.

/thread
Old 07-06-2019, 12:21 PM
RED-03-Z06
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The few times ive traveled i tried to find a Radisson, always had good luck but i do hear good things About Marriott as well, more so recently than in the past
Old 07-06-2019, 04:43 PM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post

Originally Posted by Raazor View Post
This

Plus search reviews of hotels prior to staying.

/thread

We did look over the reviews, 4.6 out of 5.

We had enough drinks at dinner and were getting up at 4am to go to Houston because we had a full day planned here.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:05 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
We did look over the reviews, 4.6 out of 5.

We had enough drinks at dinner and were getting up at 4am to go to Houston because we had a full day planned here.
looked like a cool little area, too bad it didn't work out.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Gordon Shumway
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm at a Hilton in lovely Wilkes-Barre, PA right now. I've never managed to get the Super Platinum status, but I'm parked in the space right next to the reserved spaces for the Super Platinum people.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:13 PM
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Received 1,537 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Normally I don't stay at Marriott's as they are not that available in the places I travel, but I do stay at the Springhill Suites by Marriott when I'm in Deadwood, South Dakota. Great place to stay and even though Cadillac Jack's Gaming Resort is attached to one end of the building, you don't hear a single sound. Great place to get a great night's sleep. The room's shower is larger than most motel rooms.

Restricted guest parking in the basement so it's perfect for my Vette, out of sight, out of harm. Last time we were there, we came back early in the afternoon as it was raining hard. The maintenance man got out the water hose and we washed our cars in the basement, unhurried. The next morning, we left for some more Black Hills enjoyement driving our perfectly clean Corvettes.

This past Febuaray, on the way to Durango, Colorado to the ride the narrow gauge steam powered train in the snow covered mountains, we stayed at the new Tru By Hilton Amarillo West. Had a king bed room and could barely squeeze by the end of the bed to go to the bathroom. Being new, it was clean and in excellent shape(of course) but was very sparse in decoration. Free breakfast was good though. Next trip passing through Amarillo, TX, I'll go back to staying at the Comfort Inn & Suites next door.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-06-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:33 PM
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Received 1,537 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
That's what happens when you book for points and not comfort. I'm guessing there are plenty of review on Yelp expressing disappointment with the place you stayed?

I have no loyalty to one specific hotel chain and never achieve Super Rhodium level with any of them. I stay where it's convenient and comfortable, based upon previous experiences and on line reviews.

Same with me. Never used any points to get a room When I'm planning a trip, I go to TripAdvisor and read the reviews. I select the place I want to stay based on the reviews and the price.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:01 PM
jw38
CF Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by snide View Post

As of last week, I have 1749 nights in Marriott properties and I'm also Lifetime Titanium Elite. There have been some Marriott properties that I've stayed in recently that were less than what they should be and I let Marriott know about it when I receive their surveys. I stayed at a Courtyard near the Memphis airport last month. What a dump, but so was the area. I'll be at a new Courtyard in Quantico, VA, this week for 3 nights. I have over 2 million Marriott points (and counting) that will be used when I retire!
Old 07-06-2019, 08:21 PM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

We do not stay there because of points.

We stay there because we like their hotels and service. Courtyards can be hit and miss depending on when they last updated.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:52 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
CF Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

We rarely travel. I hate it. The entire scene. Especially hotels and airports etc.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:54 PM
NoOne
CF Senior Member

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Marriott Customer Service

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: